Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Shneak posted:

I don't get any sense of the plot from that trailer but I love Mantis already.

Baby Groot escapes and it's up to the Guardians of the Galaxy to stop him before he destroys the fabric of space itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Is Thanos gonna be involved wirh this one for GotG or are they avoiding it?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Gatts posted:

at best he'll appear post-credits looking at earth going 'so that's where they are' and cackling evilly

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Gatts posted:

I think Gunn has said that the movie has nothing to do with Infinity Stones and Thanos

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
This is like that episode of The Boondocks, but with Thanos replacing the pony.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

That trailer was horrible.. Ayy yi yi

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It was an alright trailer but seemed a little too much of a good thing being dialed up and pushed so hopefully it's done better when out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Leave it goons to be joyless fucks. That trailer was hilarious, I am so excited for this movie.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

It's like, they're pushing this movie as an action-comedy but the editing in the trailer is just so obvious. It's jarring. I don't know why they can't just let the footage speak for itself, it has me thinking the movie isn't good and they're flailing to find an audience. Seriously, funny jokes? That's a little too on the nose. Movie is gonna be poo poo.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
I love every single thing about "SCREW YOU, SPACESHIP!!!"

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

the GOTG trailer was amazing and you have no sense of fun if you didn't like it

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

hey guys i got a hilarious joke for you

i am groot

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I hope the majority of the movie is them sitting in the chamber with Mantis and all the action stuff is just a ten-minute opener before they get to the real meat of the flick: reenacting Waiting for Godot as improv. Then Cosmo the Space Pup and Howard the Duck walk in with Adam Warlock to the studio audience cheering.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Basically let's try for something different than a superhero grandiose flick. Let's merge genres like teen romance saving the establishment poo poo via skiing or dance.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
That trailer was horrible in a way usually even Marvel movies aren't.

You're making the sequel to one of the most successful action-comedies of all time and the best you've got are "don't push the button!" and "pheromone analysis indicates the male wants to mate with the female" jokes? Jesus.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pirate Jet posted:

You're making the sequel to one of the most successful action-comedies of all time and the best you've got are "don't push the button!" and "pheromone analysis indicates the male wants to mate with the female" jokes? Jesus.

That wasn't the joke, the joke was Drax's absurd over-reaction.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

That wasn't the joke, the joke was Drax's absurd over-reaction.

those were both jokes but one of them was so boring it didn't parse as a joke to you

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I thought it was *rolls 2d4* evocative

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I just must have opposite of CineD taste or some poo poo. That trailer hit everything out the park. It's great and funny and only hinting at how funny the movie will be.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Dec 4, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pirate Jet posted:

It was funny.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
it was funny enough that i'll go and see it and inevitably be disappointed by something other than the humor

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I didn't parse it as

Pirate Jet posted:

"pheromone analysis indicates the male wants to mate with the female"

being the punchline so much as the psychic being really loving jazzed about announcing this to everyone present, which actually is funny as hell.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Man, you guys can be a bunch of bitter, ridiculous wankers sometimes. It's a good trailer. The jokes are good.

EDIT: Thought about it a bit. They obviously hope Groot merchandise will sell truckloads, sure. But there's still just the right amount of Groot in the trailer. He's the only character whose status completely changed at the end of the last movie and the two short scenes we got answer the questions most viewers will have about it: what's he like now? (he's a child) and uh, can he even fight now? (oh yeah).

Megazver fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 4, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Pwople don't like a trailer, how horruble.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

I like this bad piece of media and if you don't you have no sense of fun/humour/I bet you're fun at parties

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I was bored enough to want to actually watch the DC movies, at least BvS and Suicide Squad. I kinda wish they weren't terrible (BvS) and pretty bad (Suicide Squad), cause I like the oddly gritty world they created. Hell I thought the first ~45 minutes of BvS was mildly engaging, at least until they had multiple dream sequences and then whatever the gently caress the rest of the movie was. I thought all the characters were actually pretty well cast, minus turning Killer Croc into a racial stereotype and Jared Leto desperately wanting to be Heath Ledger. Too bad the Wonder Woman movie looks awful.

From a historical perspective it's neat seeing Marvel as the relatively sanitized aspartame romp while DC is trying to be edgy. I hope at some point they find a script that isn't crap, if but so I can see more of Ben Affleck's "too old for this poo poo" take on Batman without cringing at what he's saying.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The thing is, they're both sanitised, but Marvel accepted it, while DC tried to have it both ways.

(And then somehow Marvel ended up having it kinda both ways successfully anyway due to the Netflix branch)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Dec 4, 2016

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Bautista is funny.

Baby Groot is not.

GotG was never good, just something to keep the kids busy.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
why does angry baby groot look like eleven from stranger things

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I've printed out each frame of the trailer and ran them through my mass-jokeometer and it turns out it's objectively 'moderately funny'.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Jonah Galtberg posted:

I like this bad piece of media and if you don't you have no sense of fun/humour/I bet you're fun at parties

In this case it's true, though.

But let's pretend a woman in a miniskirt with a sword shows up *sick metal riff* is the height of storytelling for another 100,000 pages, sure why not.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
I just don't like the overreaction to people not liking a trailer. :shrug:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think the trailer is funny, but the baby groot thing could be real easy to do too much of in the movie.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

I said come in! posted:

Leave it goons to be joyless fucks. That trailer was hilarious, I am so excited for this movie.

Goons are the internet equivalent to grandpa Simpson these days.

Bautista is becoming some sort of amazing.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The only funny part of that trailer is the "nobody has any tape" conversation (mostly due to the way Quill is framed) and even then it's immediately followed by "that's a really bad sign! :awesome:" like you can practically hear the laugh track and sad trombone

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man
So Marvel movies are now totally critic proof, when even the slightest negativity towards the trailers makes you a soulless basement-dwelling loser. Because "I guess you just don't like fun in life" is the final argument, after that there is no way to go, probably suicide would be the next option.

Having said that, Guardians of the Galaxy was a fun and entertaining movie, probably the only one from Marvel that I would gladly watch again. But this trailer just seemed like the freshness and spontaneity have (obviously) diminished and there was a clear element of "hey, people liked THIS, so let's now force it x 1000!" instead of bringing new elements into the mix. But of course this is only the trailer and I know they want to show the things people know and love, but I'd like to see something new as well. Also, Batista is one of the shittiest actors (still), no matter what anyone says. But he is still somehow quite entertaining to watch. :iiam:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

well why not posted:

I've printed out each frame of the trailer and ran them through my mass-jokeometer and it turns out it's objectively 'moderately funny'.

But Captain, a course setting of "moderately funny" will take us dangerously close to the billion dollar boundary!

not trolled not crying posted:

But this trailer just seemed like the freshness and spontaneity have (obviously) diminished and there was a clear element of "hey, people liked THIS, so let's now force it x 1000!" instead of bringing new elements into the mix.

The first Guardians of the Galaxy film is the 5th biggest film in a $10.8 billion dollar franchise, did anyone really expect that Disney would go "You know what, let's shake things up and do something completely different in the sequel"???

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 4, 2016

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I just don't see how Guardians of the Galaxy is distinct from, like, Thor, or is revered in any way even in the context of MCU. I had the same feeling about Ant-Man. If anything all that's changed is that, cinematographically speaking, they're progressively less interesting. But the vibe of the franchise has always been broad action comedy, and all Ant-Man and Guardians do is stunt-casting to render the comical weightlessness of the films explicit. They could be R.I.P.D. or The Last Witch Hunter, there's no bite behind all the bark.

Now, Lucy -- there's a loving laugh riot superhero movie.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Aurubin posted:

I was bored enough to want to actually watch the DC movies, at least BvS and Suicide Squad. I kinda wish they weren't terrible (BvS) and pretty bad (Suicide Squad), cause I like the oddly gritty world they created. Hell I thought the first ~45 minutes of BvS was mildly engaging, at least until they had multiple dream sequences and then whatever the gently caress the rest of the movie was. I thought all the characters were actually pretty well cast, minus turning Killer Croc into a racial stereotype and Jared Leto desperately wanting to be Heath Ledger. Too bad the Wonder Woman movie looks awful.

From a historical perspective it's neat seeing Marvel as the relatively sanitized aspartame romp while DC is trying to be edgy. I hope at some point they find a script that isn't crap, if but so I can see more of Ben Affleck's "too old for this poo poo" take on Batman without cringing at what he's saying.

Part of the problem with Suicide Squad is they tried to do sanitized with color and humor AND dark/gritty in the same movie. SS really does feel like 2 or 3 different films spliced together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The best thing Marvel could do is make a movie about a low key crime caper that centres around Luis from Ant Man.

I'm not sure what the issue is with this trailer anyway. Its exactly what I expected, and I don't mean that in a negative sense. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 won't shake me up and change my life or challenge any notions about how movies are made, but it'll probably be around 2 hours long and have some decent action sequences mixed in with a few good gags. I'm happy with that.

• Locked thread