Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Yeah, The Cat Who Walks Through Walls was his next-to-last. I don't think I've seen a single positive appraisal of it besides, "OK, it's not great, but I loved it when I was 12," or, "It's for the fans; if you don't like it, it's your fault for not having read every other Heinlein novel."

Edit: I was surprised just now to see it rated 3.7 on Goodreads, but it turned out that there's a lot of people who fit those two types.

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 19:07 on Dec 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Heinlein was never good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He's the definition of "cool ideas, poor execution". I still really like Double Star though.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Heinlein was never good.

I liked Starship Troopers.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen
Stranger in a Strange Land would've been a good but dated romp if it'd kept to the whole sci-fi/legal thriller angle it had at the beginning instead of turning into free love religious cult bullshit halfway through.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

A friend of mine kept trying to get me into Heinlein and I read a few. Stranger in a Strange Land was probably my favourite, but then there was the book with the super strong super amazing lady android clone who went on in her narration about how it's so important for women to submit to men in all things because man have an inherent need for it, and how some foolish real women never understand that this is their role.

I quit Heinlein after that one, I think.

Lurken
Nov 10, 2012
Tunnel in the Sky was pretty baller, in my humble opinion.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I was surprised just now to see it rated 3.7 on Goodreads, but it turned out that there's a lot of people who fit those two types.
I don't think I've seen anything on Goodreads rated less than about 3.5. I don't know if it's their rating system or the people who use it, but it seems to result in a score range of about 3.5 to 4.5 for everything.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Tiggum posted:

I don't think I've seen anything on Goodreads rated less than about 3.5. I don't know if it's their rating system or the people who use it, but it seems to result in a score range of about 3.5 to 4.5 for everything.

Their scale is super-weird, too. Technically only 1 star mans you didn't like the book.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Heinlein is poo poo all the way through, and only fails to be recognized as such because sci-fi suffers from genre fiction trash disease.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Tiggum posted:

I don't know if it's their rating system or the people who use it, but it seems to result in a score range of about 3.5 to 4.5 for everything.

It's the rating system, it's weighed towards 3-5 stars.

1 star - Didn't like the book
2 stars - It was okay.
3 stars - Liked it
4 stars - Really liked it.
5 stars - It was amazing.

And of course everyone has different definitions of what makes a book "okay", "liked" or "really liked".

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Leavemywife posted:

I liked Starship Troopers.

I liked when the weird uncle history teacher started a lecture, and then it never stopped for the rest of the book

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

mania posted:

It's the rating system, it's weighed towards 3-5 stars.

1 star - Didn't like the book
2 stars - It was okay.
3 stars - Liked it
4 stars - Really liked it.
5 stars - It was amazing.

I guess I'm weird then, because I give most things 1-3 stars under that system. :shrug:

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Re terrible books and Mormonism, everyone knows Twilight is completely irredeemable, but did you know it's also Mormon as gently caress? Another exegesis on this subject, which I'm not linking to because it's 2008 Livejournal to an embarrassing degree, points out that Edward Cullen is described as looking exactly like Joseph Smith did according to Mormon doctrine. Maybe a little sparklier.

I don't think Stephenie Meyer did it on purpose, quite, but she doesn't strike me as a woman overburdened with self-awareness.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The thing that always shocked me about Stephanie Meyer was that The Host was legitimately decent.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

The thing that always shocked me about Stephanie Meyer was that The Host was legitimately decent.

Is it really? I mean, I liked the concept, but considering the coworker who got me to read Twilight in the first place could not get through the Host, I figured it was a neat concept tackled by a lovely author and I shouldn't look too hard.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

I couldn't get through more than the first 100 or so pages of The Host because it was just dull. Not really good or bad. Just boring as hell. Maybe it got better after that though.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Read It and Weep had an episode about The Host; they said that it's more or less what you'd expect from science fiction by Stephenie Meyer. She apparently treats its premise vaguely and superficially, owing to her inexperience with the genre, and there's even more teenage mopiness than Twilight had. I haven't read it myself, but I'm inclined to trust them on this.

Speaking of that podcast, two of the hosts just wrote a terrible book. The timing could be better (!), but given that the idea started as an offhand podcast joke, it's understandable that it took this long to actually be written.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I think a large part of why Twilight got such a large hate following was a mix of homophobic/sexist internet culture being outraged and threatened by it and the idea of vampires being made "lame". I'm not saying there isn't plenty of dumb, hosed up terrible bullshit in Twilight, but it's all stuff that I doubt anyone would have gave a poo poo to closely examine about over any other teen girl fad of the moment if not for some very specific stuff triggering a superficial counterculture.

Thus, it was inevitable that whatever Meyer did next wouldn't reach the same comical lows for people looking for ironic enjoyment out of something by THE CREATOR OF TWILIGHT and just find it as boring and mediocre as Twilight would be stripped of it's big "gimmick"(sparkling vampires!!!!!1!).

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Arcsquad12 posted:

He's the definition of "cool ideas, poor execution". I still really like Double Star though.

Nah, that's Phillip K. Dick.

Heinlein's biggest contribution to the genre has to be space marines, right? I guess he's a good time capsule for his era of science fiction as well, but mostly because even at his worst, he's more readable than a lot of his contemporaries.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

WickedHate posted:

I think a large part of why Twilight got such a large hate following was a mix of homophobic/sexist internet culture being outraged and threatened by it and the idea of vampires being made "lame". I'm not saying there isn't plenty of dumb, hosed up terrible bullshit in Twilight, but it's all stuff that I doubt anyone would have gave a poo poo to closely examine about over any other teen girl fad of the moment if not for some very specific stuff triggering a superficial counterculture.

Thus, it was inevitable that whatever Meyer did next wouldn't reach the same comical lows for people looking for ironic enjoyment out of something by THE CREATOR OF TWILIGHT and just find it as boring and mediocre as Twilight would be stripped of it's big "gimmick"(sparkling vampires!!!!!1!).
Yeah, the reason people bagged on the sparkling vampires was that it wasn't manly enough and not because it's a hilariously loving stupid image.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I reached critical levels of apathy on how inherently dumb sparkly diamond skin may or may not actually be several years ago.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

WickedHate posted:

I reached critical levels of apathy on how inherently dumb sparkly diamond skin may or may not actually be several years ago.
Which is also the last time anyone gave a poo poo about Twilight, incidentally.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Exactly! Either way if you take the social justice perspective on it or not, people ragging on Twilight weren't doing it for the really creepy awful poo poo, that was all just cherries on top, little extra bits smugly justifying the hate that already existed.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
What? Sparkling vampires was the number-one thing people talked about, but number two was, "He's a hundred years old and watches her sleep." People loved to hate Edward's creepiness.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Yeah, The Cat Who Walks Through Walls was his next-to-last. I don't think I've seen a single positive appraisal of it besides, "OK, it's not great, but I loved it when I was 12," or, "It's for the fans; if you don't like it, it's your fault for not having read every other Heinlein novel."

Edit: I was surprised just now to see it rated 3.7 on Goodreads, but it turned out that there's a lot of people who fit those two types.

The "hero" of the book has sex with a 13 year old girl while the "bad guy" is someone who thinks socialized healthcare is a good idea.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Sham bam bamina! posted:

What? Sparkling vampires was the number-one thing people talked about, but number two was, "He's a hundred years old and watches her sleep." People loved to hate Edward's creepiness.

Honestly, why do you think Twilight got torn apart as hard as it did? It's not the only think teenager's lovely taste has carried to a ridiculous level of popularity.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I definitely saw a lot of hate towards Twilight from people that couldn't identify any of its many and egregious flaws, just that it happened to be a major media craze whose primary demo was girls so it was for some reason a "threat" to entertainment for boys in some indefinable way.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I wrote a paper in college for a literature criticism class that was a teardown of Twilight. Got a good grade, too.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I think there's some validity to the notion that the reason Twilight's flaws were so notorious was because it was so popular among teenage girls. There's a lot of hugely popular books that are just as bad that don't get nearly so much attention for their badness.

I mean, Twilight's still horrible, and it deserves the poo poo it gets. But boy howdy do other lovely books not nearly get taken down enough.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

" 'vampires who sparkle' is really dumb"

"this is homophobia"

ok

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Part of it is that Twilight is incredibly popular. Not every popular book gets made into a series of movies and has a promotional deal with a fast food company.

Konstantin has a new favorite as of 12:56 on Dec 4, 2016

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The Patrick Rothfuss thread over in TBB has convinced me that Name of the Wind is basically just Twilight for boys. Twilight is awful but the fact that it's 'for girls' definitely attracted some more vitriol.

Oh and The Host is okay but ends with a chick who is repeatedly described as tiny and childlike getting together with a much bigger man and it feels a bit weird.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

WickedHate posted:

homophobic/sexist internet culture

You don't say? I mean it's not like we don't still have people saying things like

spite house posted:

it's 2008 Livejournal to an embarrassing degree

Xarbala posted:

it was for some reason a "threat" to entertainment for boys in some indefinable way.

Now think about bronies and Gamergate

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Arcsquad12 posted:

I still really like Double Star though.

Double Star is tight. It's exactly as sexist as you would expect a sci-fi novel from the '50s to be, but other than that it's really good.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
I've read all the Twilight Saga, and they're mostly just boring rather than offensive. That second book is literally just Bella moping around and building a motorcycle the entire time.

I do genuinely like when Bella finally gets transformed into a vampire. After 4 books of moping and navel gazing, she finally just goes balls out and enjoys what the rest of the vamps just moan about. "Hell yeah, I can wrestle mountain lions, and bust up boulders, and gently caress for hours, and explore underwater forever, and buy islands, and I'm super hot and sparkly and immortal. This is tight." It's ironically the most human she ever acts.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I did like that the most interesting thing she has done caused her baby to try to murder her in the womb. And after that it gets soul bonded to a teen wolf.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Who cares at that point? Bella doesn't. She pretty much abandons the baby to be raised by Teen Wolf and the Cullens so she can bang Edward forever in Thomas Kinkade's gently caress Cabin.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

😍😍😍true romance😍😍😍

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

HopperUK posted:

The Patrick Rothfuss thread over in TBB has convinced me that Name of the Wind is basically just Twilight for boys. Twilight is awful but the fact that it's 'for girls' definitely attracted some more vitriol.
This review summed it up really well:

Ferretbrain posted:

For the record, at the start of the book Kvothe is one of the greatest musicians the world has ever seen, fluent in several languages, a precocious magician, able to call upon magic of a kind few even believe exists, able to climb walls and pick locks, a master artificer, skilled in both arts and sciences, endlessly resourceful and never ever meets a woman who doesn't fancy him. By the end of the book he's all of that, plus he's even better at magic, has learned secret martial arts techniques that make him better at fighting than anybody he will ever meet except for the people who taught him, has gained the ear of several powerful people, and has been taught secret sex skills by a hot older woman who never the less thought that he was pretty amazing at doing sex even before she taught him to be more amazing at doing sex (I will come back to this a lot because I think it's probably the most stupid and juvenile part of what I now am convinced is a fundamentally stupid and juvenile text).

What annoys me about Kvothe is not so much that he's a gratuitous Mary-Sue, but that despite this fact he is taken incredibly seriously by critics. People bitch about how unrealistic it is that everybody fancies Bella Swan, about how stupid it is for teenage girls to indulge in a fantasy where powerful supernatural beings are sexually attracted to them. People laugh at characters like Sonea and Auraya because they're just magic sparkly princesses with super-speshul magic sparkle powers. But take all of those qualities – hidden magic power, ludicrously expanding skillset, effortless ability to attract the opposite sex despite specifically self-describing as being bad at dealing with them, and slap it on a male character, and suddenly we get the protagonist of one of the most serious, most critically acclaimed fantasy novels of the last decade.

Of course you can't ever really say, for certain, how a book would have been received if you reversed the genders of its author and protagonist, but something tells me that a book about a red-haired girl who plays the lute and becomes the most powerful sorceress who ever lived by the time she's seventeen, and who has a series of exciting sexy encounters with supernatural creatures, would not have been quite so readily inducted into the canon of a genre still very uncertain about its mainstream reputation.