Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Crappy Jack posted:

Yep. Most of the B&W stuff is self-contained like that.

Ah alright, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

I'm kinda doing heart of stone and blood and wine at the same time. Is that bad?

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

i can't stop playing this game every free moment i have, i will play for a long time and be like "i need a break" but as soon as i have another chance to play i want to keep playing. i usually suffer from video game burnout fast but there's just so much here. i haven't even touched battlefield 1 lately which i love. i tried to play it a moment ago but i was like "drat i suck now" and "i want to play more of the witcher"

it's consuming meeeeeeeeee

also i love gwent

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Topsy the HELLephant posted:

I'm kinda doing heart of stone and blood and wine at the same time. Is that bad?

You do you, but both are self contained stories and BaW is set as geralt's epilogue so the tone is very different.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Every time I try leaving Toussaint for a change of pace, after about 5 minutes I get nostalgic and go back to my Tuscan villa

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Where is the Gwent Android app when you need it?

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

For the first time I reloaded a save after a quest path split. During the conversation with Keira during 'For the Advancement of Learning', some dialogue option says something fairly innocuous like "I can't let you go" but for some reason it breaks out into a battle and forces you to kill her. I went back and managed to talk her out of the notes and let her leave.

It seemed strange to me that Geralt would be so miffed about being tricked, or that deception was even necessary at all. Why didn't Keira just ask Geralt "bring me the notes pretty please" as long as he was going to the tower and just tell him it was so she could find a cure.

In a game with a lot of good writing, this questline seemed really confusing to me.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Commie NedFlanders posted:

i can't stop playing this game every free moment i have, i will play for a long time and be like "i need a break" but as soon as i have another chance to play i want to keep playing. i usually suffer from video game burnout fast but there's just so much here. i haven't even touched battlefield 1 lately which i love. i tried to play it a moment ago but i was like "drat i suck now" and "i want to play more of the witcher"

it's consuming meeeeeeeeee

also i love gwent

This is completely correct.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sanzuo posted:

For the first time I reloaded a save after a quest path split. During the conversation with Keira during 'For the Advancement of Learning', some dialogue option says something fairly innocuous like "I can't let you go" but for some reason it breaks out into a battle and forces you to kill her. I went back and managed to talk her out of the notes and let her leave.

It seemed strange to me that Geralt would be so miffed about being tricked, or that deception was even necessary at all. Why didn't Keira just ask Geralt "bring me the notes pretty please" as long as he was going to the tower and just tell him it was so she could find a cure.

In a game with a lot of good writing, this questline seemed really confusing to me.

She knows that Geralt knows that the notes are basically a documentation of a bio-weapons program, And Geralt, while he claims to be a neutral character, would never allow her to have them.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I got some poo poo on another board for killing Keira but I told her to hand over the germ warfare notes and she attacked me, nothing I could do. I'm sure I didn't see a friendlier "please hand me the notes" option or I'd have taken that. Maybe you only get it under certain circumstances.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm sure you always get it, but it may not be obvious, I don't remember for sure? The key is not to argue the morality of passing on those papers, it's to remind her that Radovid is going to kill her even if she presents him with an offering. Which makes sense, she has no reson to relent just because you asked nicely, but she is liable to give up upo realizing she can't restore her life as a luxury-surrounded court sorceress, which has been her sole motivation all alogn.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 4, 2016

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

She knows that Geralt knows that the notes are basically a documentation of a bio-weapons program, And Geralt, while he claims to be a neutral character, would never allow her to have them.

Yea that makes sense. Just caught me by surprise since it seemed they were on good terms, and the dialogue option didn't seem like it would escalate to violence. My roleplaying choice would have been to try and get the notes back without killing her.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
On the other hand the notes aren't for a bio-weapon, but unethically obtained medical research.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

On the other hand the notes aren't for a bio-weapon, but unethically obtained medical research.

Right, but the point is that the difference between a cure and a biological weapon is only in who gets to handle it.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
I don't see any reason not to just send her to Kaer Moren. She gets to work on the mage's notes in the safety of the Withcer's castle and hang out with Triss and Yen when they all get back there, plus there's tons of eligible Witcher bachelors to get to know.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Oh Lambert :bigtran:

I'm currently stuck on the crone fight, though FF15 isn't helping [me with playing the witcher]. It's loving hard when you don't have healing as a crutch...

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

steinrokkan posted:

Right, but the point is that the difference between a cure and a biological weapon is only in who gets to handle it.

And Geralt specifically says "Radovid doesn't care about curing the plague, he cares about winning the war" and iirc Keira didn't seem too opposed to that prospect. though of course it's moot because I saw a very graphic screenshot which indicates that if you let her go Radovid isn't particularly interested in hearing her out.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

2house2fly posted:

And Geralt specifically says "Radovid doesn't care about curing the plague, he cares about winning the war" and iirc Keira didn't seem too opposed to that prospect. though of course it's moot because I saw a very graphic screenshot which indicates that if you let her go Radovid isn't particularly interested in hearing her out.

Radovid's insane. He's a bad idea all around.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I'm currently stuck on the crone fight, though FF15 isn't helping [me with playing the witcher]. It's loving hard when you don't have healing as a crutch...

Keep moving around, try not to strike more than twice in a row without moving around. Try to focus on one at the time.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

crosspost from the /r/relationships thread:

a woman on reddit posted:

I find him so attractive still and I've asked some shameful things just to get him to have sex with me more often. Whenever I bring it up we fight and leads to him stonewalling me for days, coming home from work, completely ignoring me, playing witcher 3 and jacking to milfs.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

What the gently caress

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yeah what the hell, W3 is a game for jacking to dilfs not milfs.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I AM BRAWW posted:

Are painting and trophy rewards more in B&W? I don't recall any other painting, and am fresh in B&W.

I think there are three paintings you can bring in - Hemfart, Iris and Olgierd, and Starry Night from the Auction House in HoS.

The B&W merchant sold paintings are found all at the item shop next to the grandmaster armourer.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I wanted to hang up the drawing the girl gave to me after saving her in that DLC sidequest :-(

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Reclining witcher best witcher

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

No matter what pose, 'no griffin' should be instant game over.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Can you get a copy of Geralt's Redania Birdo for the wall?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Drifter posted:

Radovid's insane. He's a bad idea all around.

It was a terrific moment when I first met Radovid, because he was playing chess and I thought "ok, chess metaphor for combat, seen this a million times, whatever" but then Radovid went on this deranged rant about how he can hear the screams of the pawns or whatever. I like this game best when it goes just off the rails enough that I don't know how a scene is going to go

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

2house2fly posted:

It was a terrific moment when I first met Radovid, because he was playing chess and I thought "ok, chess metaphor for combat, seen this a million times, whatever" but then Radovid went on this deranged rant about how he can hear the screams of the pawns or whatever. I like this game best when it goes just off the rails enough that I don't know how a scene is going to go

The basic strength of the game is in its dialogue. The writing is great and genuinely emotional, the animations and costumes deliver the lines well. The writing is also very self-aware and makes a habit of subverting RGP tropes.

All told, you really need to do every last single side-quest and just take it easy and slow. This is an enormous game with a ton of non-repetitive content, easily 100+ hours for the base game. Skip the exploration in Skellige, honestly, but every last quest is a unique and interesting experience.

The biggest mistake Witcher 3 made was to have an XP/leveling system at all because that shouldn't matter. Just do whatever quests seem cool and fun, completely ignore the XP or loot rewards because they don't loving matter.

e: just to emphasize, this is the most truly "immersive" and realistic RPG I've played, and probably the best game I've played period. Abandon thoughts of min/max builds, farming XP, and so on. That poo poo doesn't matter, go play through some stories. That's what this game is about. Go participate in these fantastically directed, written, and animated stories.

This game puts the Role-Play in RPG more than any other game I've played and I started in the early 1990s with Oregon Trail and Commander Keen.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 4, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

2house2fly posted:

And then you walk out and Roche's all "that guy is completely bonkers, right?"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Lone Badger posted:

roche: geezer is a fackin mentalist innit

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Lone Badger posted:

Haha, yep I kinda think Roche brought Geralt along purely so somebody else could see how batshit the dude was.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Jerusalem posted:

Haha, yep I kinda think Roche brought Geralt along purely so somebody else could see how batshit the dude was.

It makes

quote:

In his war of assassinations, ambushes and night raids, Roche depended on Redanian help, though he made it clear he took no pleasure from working with Radovid.

look like Dandelion understatement of the year #85. Mad Rad, and not the incredibly prolific good one.

I also encounter another roach bug:

A horse to man talk was required afterwards. :3:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
If your Roach identifies as a unicorn, who are you to judge?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'm still playing through B&W and I went to a barber and at the screen where you choose your haircut there was an option to play Gwent. So you have Geralt sitting half-naked with a towel on his shoulders already and everything and the barber is ready to go behind him with scissors in his hand and Geralt goes "would you like to play Gwent?". I must say this was the most ridiculous "would you like to play Gwent" scene I've encountered, I didn't even know that barbers coul play.

Also I got mustache and a soul patch to blend with the French better.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Palpek posted:

Also I got mustache and a soul patch to blend with the French better.

I did the same thing and it actually looked les ssilly than i thought it would, especially since it does not clip through high collared armors

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Blood&Wine: The vagrant spoon-breaking "easy-riddle-curse" that this Spotted Wight is victim of makes it sound like it's from the likes of O'Dimm.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I AM BRAWW posted:

Blood&Wine: The vagrant spoon-breaking "easy-riddle-curse" that this Spotted Wight is victim of makes it sound like it's from the likes of O'Dimm.

It most definitely is.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

I AM BRAWW posted:

If the music isn't bugged out and is actually playing in the background, quite figuratively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
O'Dimm really is one of my favourite characters.

Also, finally having got that HD Retextures + Hairworks + Bigger LoD + Better lighting, this game is even more gorgeous.