Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

They absolutely do because Yoshi-P has stated that he pretty much oversees everything personally for quality control and nothing gets past him without his approval. He may not be writing it but he is at minimum keeping some dumb garbage out. Now, maybe Tabata is not this same level of hands-on, I don't know. But it does seem pretty clear to me, based on this and LR, that at best he simply doesn't care about plot and just lets the writers do whatever and at worst, chooses lovely plots to run with.

Tabata wasn't involved with Lightning Returns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falling Cat
Nov 4, 2012

I conserve angular momentum
Other than chocobo racing, are there any other mini-games or anything you can do with chocobos in this?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Having a hard time deciding between the English and Japanese voice tracks. Japanese is more consistent but English has a more distinctive main cast and its easier to follow even though the tertiary characters are cringey. What's everyone else playing on?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Oxxidation posted:

Tabata wasn't involved with Lightning Returns.

Huh, it was Kitase. Oops!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The music would have to be way way worse for FF15 to be a shittier than XCX. Also it would need terrible gathering mechanics. And to end on a sequel hook that will probably never happen.

Well, it has terrible gathering mechanics and a bunch of hooks for content that doesn't exist so it's 2/3rds of the way there.

It has amazing music though.

I donno. I can't see how you can say XCX is terrible and FFXV is great unless you're giving FFXV a huge pass you're not extending to XCX. (Except for music, FFXV's music kicks the everliving poo poo out of XCX.)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Actually it was good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

thorsilver posted:

Although that brings up something I only just noticed because I'm dumb: some of Prompto's pics are of things that didn't actually happen, I can't believe I didn't notice that before now.

I'm okay with this and its actually kinda cute sometimes. You end a day and you have a picture of your group posing with some NPC before they left. Its a cute touch and I don't mind that its like "when did that happen", like, whatever.

But I did notice a picture earlier where Carbuncle was hanging around and I have yet to see Carbuncle outside the demo in this game :tinfoil: :stare: What the gently caress? Ghost Carbuncle?!

Falling Cat posted:

Other than chocobo racing, are there any other mini-games or anything you can do with chocobos in this?

You can run around on them and you can get special foods and level them up, if you level them up you get abilities you can call on during combat to help you. The special foods can change their colors and stuff. But that's it.

There's a few solid minigames but racing is the only one using chocobos.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ImpAtom posted:

Well, it has terrible gathering mechanics and a bunch of hooks for content that doesn't exist so it's 2/3rds of the way there.

I donno. I can't see how you can say XCX is terrible and FFXV is great unless you're giving FFXV a huge pass you're not extending to XCX. (Except for music, FFXV's music kicks the everliving poo poo out of XCX.)

MMO combat vs actual action combat for one thing.

I personally hate silent protags, especially in the case of XCX where it's arguably the worst executed in years for story purposes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
As catastrophic as FFXV's script is I'd still put it over XCX's, because at least the former lets you give a poo poo about some of the characters as opposed to none, none at all, oh my god I hate these interchangeable realdoll-looking motherfuckers where are my perky English gents and ladies

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
It's always interesting when you are sneaking in somewhere or making your way into some old forgotten place, and suddenly the other 3 are in there already. Like for instance in Deadeye's den I most definitely did not see them enter ahead of me and its not like they walked in with deadeye, but they were already in there. It's actually kind of creepy, once I think about it...

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Chapter 13 is absolutely HELL for me. Close to 3 hours now and I'm apparently nowhere near the end. Who thought that this literal corridor slog is fun?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Oxxidation posted:

As catastrophic as FFXV's script is I'd still put it over XCX's, because at least the former lets you give a poo poo about some of the characters as opposed to none, none at all, oh my god I hate these interchangeable realdoll-looking motherfuckers where are my perky English gents and ladies

There's a glimmer of something at least decent here but it seems to be completely lost from the hosed development or something. You can see where they were trying to go, and I guess if you fill in the gaps it could have been ok.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Noirex posted:

Chapter 13 is absolutely HELL for me. Close to 3 hours now and I'm apparently nowhere near the end. Who thought that this literal corridor slog is fun?

Chapter 13 is one of those things where I get the idea they had but holy poo poo it should have been cut.

Falling Cat
Nov 4, 2012

I conserve angular momentum

Zaphod42 posted:

You can run around on them and you can get special foods and level them up, if you level them up you get abilities you can call on during combat to help you. The special foods can change their colors and stuff. But that's it.

There's a few solid minigames but racing is the only one using chocobos.

Ah I see, thanks! That sounds alright, at least I can make Noctis and gangs' chocobos hot pink or something to get a good laugh.

I'm enjoying the game's music so far, and man the environment is real pretty.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I was literally about to post about sound mixing.

Actually traveling across XCX felt massively more like a chore to me than FFXV does which is other key thing, and there is massively less gear to track in FFXV which is a huge loving boon to me because I am sick to death of 12 million piles of armor junk clogging my inventory in RPGs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

Actually traveling across XCX felt massively more like a chore to me than FFXV does which is other key thing

Man, I literally can not imagine how you hold this viewpoint.

In XCX you have the ability to jump like you're on the moon and basically free access to take whatever route you want to get to where you go. in FFXV you have a car that is effectively on rails, a protagonist who is blocked by waist-high railings and Chocobos who, while the best of the lot, still are blocked by slightly-taller-than-waist-high things, Getting around in FFXV is a chore compared to even other open-world games, let alone XCX which effectively easy modes it.

One of my big problems the further I got into FFXV is how frigging awful it feels to try to explore the world. Even the Witcher 3 felt less restrictive to me and in the Witcher 3 you die from a 3 inch drop.

Edit: Not to mention that fast travel in FFXV involves at least one unnecessary step and atrociously bad loading times.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 4, 2016

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
yeah but everything about XCX that wasn't the environments or soundtrack loving blew and it and it's predecessor are even more hands off than people accuse ff12 of being and i don't get how XC was called ff12 but good

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I do hope that whatever people's final opinions on the game be that Square Enix keeps this engine and uses it in some future titles. I absolutely love how combat functions in this game, especially in dungeons where "random encounters" feel very natural and interesting. The boss fights, levels and stuff...all the really core meat and potatoes gameplay mechanics work well.

The plot, I'm not decided yet. I'm pretty late in the game and it's...it's been just a doozy. In some ways I think I've liked the train sequences the best of them all so far. The game might actually do slightly better with linearity than it does with its open world.

EDIT: I'll say this, the most important element of the PLOT has thus far managed to work, despite basically every other element of the story falling short.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 4, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pomp posted:

yeah but everything about XCX that wasn't the environments or soundtrack loving blew and it and it's predecessor are even more hands off than people accuse ff12 of being and i don't get how XC was called ff12 but good

... Huh? XC is absolutely not a game you can automate. If anything that is one of its flaws, the game doesn't offer a gambit-style system so you can more properly set up your characters. It is why characters like Riki are basically worthless in the AI's hands. There are absolutely criticisms you can make about XC but saying "It's even more hands-off than FF12" makes no sense because the reason why that is a criticism of FF12 is because of the Gambit System. :psyduck:

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The game might actually do slightly better with linearity than it does with its open world

The linear sequences are all clearly a bit more polished and focused, which I think helps them feel a bit more defined. I'm don't agree on them being better but I can see how they'd 'stick' more.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 4, 2016

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
well if they're gonna remove my control of the party they should have kept the gambit system or just let me control the god drat party

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Deified Data posted:

Having a hard time deciding between the English and Japanese voice tracks. Japanese is more consistent but English has a more distinctive main cast and its easier to follow even though the tertiary characters are cringey. What's everyone else playing on?

Japanese voice track is better if you understand both Japanese and English. Otherwise, English is better.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

My god, chapter 9 is the most mind blowingly anime thing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

YEP. You're where I was like 2 hours ago. Man it gets super dumb. Parts of it are epic, but its too drawn out and overblown and nothing is really properly explained so it all seems unnecessary.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Poops Mcgoots posted:

You haven't even reached the peak anime of the game yet

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Man I've been giving this game a lot of poo poo about the plot but there are some things that are just so amazing that it makes it worth it.

Chapter 13 spoiler: I just equipped the ring and I used the triangle spell. Holy gently caress that's a cool looking spell. Also, Gentiana/Shiva telling Ardyn to shush and freezing him was good.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

YEP. You're where I was like 2 hours ago. Man it gets super dumb. Parts of it are epic, but its too drawn out and overblown and nothing is really properly explained so it all seems unnecessary.

The chapter opened and I thought it'd be interesting negotiating with the chancellor lady, but then the correct options were extremely obvious. Then I get to the fight and see it's in a wide area with lots of warp points and think "oh, this could be pretty cool, let's see how this goes" only to find that I couldn't really do anything to the boss. Then the cutscene happens and I wonder why I'm supposed to care about what happened to a character that has gotten no development the whole game. Then I became a Macross robot. :wtc:

Edit:

Lakbay posted:

You haven't even reached the peak anime of the game yet

Oh no

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Wow, things just keep happening off screen. "Oh yeah, I'm totally blind now guys. Haha, crazy battle, right?"

Also, Iris mentioned them loading the regalia onto the boat to Altissia. Given the layout of the city, why would they do that?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Wow, things just keep happening off screen. "Oh yeah, I'm totally blind now guys. Haha, crazy battle, right?"

Also, Iris mentioned them loading the regalia onto the boat to Altissia. Given the layout of the city, why would they do that?

Altissa isn't their last stop.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I liked a lot about XCX, but I never beat it because the plot gave me no incentive to. With FFXV, I had to know where it was going, and I really liked the characters. Also, I like FFXV's open world a lot more than XCX's.

Something that I loved about FFXV that probably nobody else even cares about or may even think it's a negative was the anticipation of driving to a new place. Or rather, Ignis driving me to a new place, since I never really drove. There's something that I found immensely, maybe even weirdly compelling about traveling far distances to new places. Three of my favorite moments in the game were driving to Lestallum, driving to Caem, and riding the boat to Altissia. My dream FFXV would've been an even more sparsely populated open world with even larger distances between points of interest and longer stretches of open road. Hell, put in a few highways, maybe.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

ImpAtom posted:

The linear sequences are all clearly a bit more polished and focused, which I think helps them feel a bit more defined. I'm don't agree on them being better but I can see how they'd 'stick' more.

This is why I'm cautiously optimistic about the VII remake. A more action-oriented combat system in a more structured game that already has solid plot beats and a more even mix of open / linear areas should be really cool. I actually think the old-school FF philosophy of letting you explore the overworld a bit and do some (but not all) stuff out of order, like finding a random town that sells cool spells earlier than you are technically supposed to or something, is a good way to do it. (Though a few enemies in this game bring back fond memories of traveling too far on the overworld and suddenly running into ogre mages one-shotting my party with meteors and poo poo.)

I also kinda wish FF would try scaling the overworlds like they used to, just once, even if that seems kinda crazy in an era where open worlds are getting progressively bigger and more fleshed out. I miss all the crazy different environments from games like IX that you just can't really do in an open-world game like this without some kind of hub system.

This one actually held my attention a lot better than most open-world games - I think I'm just getting a bit burnt out on them in general. Like I can't even play Witcher 3 again because I just get partway in and get overwhelmed by the sheer amount of poo poo to do. I should probably check out World of Final Fantasy next; I'm not really into the chibi style thing, but the rest of the art direction looks great and reminds me of all the neat static backgrounds from past games.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Mischitary posted:

Something that I loved about FFXV that probably nobody else even cares about or may even think it's a negative was the anticipation of driving to a new place. Or rather, Ignis driving me to a new place, since I never really drove. There's something that I found immensely, maybe even weirdly compelling about traveling far distances to new places. Three of my favorite moments in the game were driving to Lestallum, driving to Caem, and riding the boat to Altissia. My dream FFXV would've been an even more sparsely populated open world with even larger distances between points of interest and longer stretches of open road. Hell, put in a few highways, maybe.

I actually totally know what you mean. The whole first half of the game reminded me a lot of what it's like to go somewhere on vacation. I'd start a day off being like "Ok, we've got some hunts that we can do near where we camped, then we'll hop in the car and check out that mountain Ignis wants to see and by then we'll stay at the motel at this point since it's close to some other stuff on the to-do list and ride chocobos around and gather stuff until it gets dark" It sounds dumb but it was a really cool experience that honestly felt really fresh to me. It got to the point where I really avoided using fast travel because it would deprive me of a cruise.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
So
Many
Sidequests

I just reached Lestallum and I'm at 20 hours. Still, I'm totally addicted

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Detective No. 27 posted:

Anyone else feel like they're getting screwed over with the battle system due to years of Platinum Games combat experience? It's a tough thing to overcome. That and getting bombarded by enemies when trees are obscuring the view.

Also I don't know how to use magic and I'm about to get the Regalia back.

yeah, for anyone like me who feels like the combat is probably the weakest part of this game I'd suggest turning on Wait mode if you haven't already. It doesn't exactly solve all the problems but as far as I can tell it's the only way to actually use libra and figure out wtf the enemies you're fighting's weaknesses are consistently without trial and error and trying to remember a bunch of jumbled combat damage numbers flying by.

I have yet to use magic for anything substantial because the AOE is loving lovely and I'm sick of constantly having my guys nuke each other. If I could reliably target enemies without killing my dudes I'd definitely be using a lot more magic.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Submitting my nomination for shittiest quest: Steam Valve Inspection.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You know, something that occurs to me:

I really, really, really expected to loathe Prompto but I think he's honestly the best part of the game from a character perspective. Ignis is kind of boring and Gladiolus is honestly the worst of the bro brigade but Prompto kind of owns and it's a miracle they pulled that off.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

MMD3 posted:

yeah, for anyone like me who feels like the combat is probably the weakest part of this game I'd suggest turning on Wait mode if you haven't already. It doesn't exactly solve all the problems but as far as I can tell it's the only way to actually use libra and figure out wtf the enemies you're fighting's weaknesses are consistently without trial and error and trying to remember a bunch of jumbled combat damage numbers flying by.

I have yet to use magic for anything substantial because the AOE is loving lovely and I'm sick of constantly having my guys nuke each other. If I could reliably target enemies without killing my dudes I'd definitely be using a lot more magic.

As far as I've noticed, magic doesn't deal any significant damage to your teammates. It's mostly cosmetic and magic is super useful against enemies.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I could eat a horse

9foxtails
Jan 13, 2016

Unlucky7 posted:

Yeah, it was mostly "Yo, look at what we can do!". That said, one of the spell items you can get (Star shower, was it?) was really impressive.

What hype? In fact, I don't think the Final Fantasy name has ever been weaker.

I just realized this was Final Fantasy. All this time I thought I was playing One Direction, The Boy Band Simulator.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

99 potency thundara with an item boosting it to a 5-chain pentacast at like 300 potency killed an iron giant, a squad of imperial magitek assholes, and my brosquad. Won the fight though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So what do people make of XV's soundtrack?

It's mostly pretty good, except for Cindy's theme, that's just grating.

• Locked thread