Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

This story ends with Jaff hooking up with his sister and them settling down together in a trailer park

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Hollismason posted:

This story ends with Jaff hooking up with his sister and them settling down together in a trailer park

Authors like Alan Moore always seem to have bits of perversion like that dangling gangrenously out of all their stories. Not quite full Claremont in comically predictable constancy and quantity, but enough that it's notable like "geez, what a weird old man".

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I can't remember if it's mentioned in the comic, but it'd make sense if they couldn't have children with anyone, since they're troll-human hybrids.

But it does mention how they were abused by their father, and that Jeff killed him when he "went after" the sister, so really I think that girl needs to get extensive therapy and meet some men from other trailer parks.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Doc Hawkins posted:

I can't remember if it's mentioned in the comic, but it'd make sense if they couldn't have children with anyone, since they're troll-human hybrids.

Their mom wasn't exactly human either. I forget how they explain it but the force blast and invulnerability were from mom. They inherited the size, strength, and a little more "really loving hard to kill" from dad. To take out their old man they had to stake him to the ground in his sleep and burn him to ash because he was still fighting when he was mostly skeletonized .

Jeff actually identifies his race for paperwork. I think it's Demi-Ogre but that's more excuse than I need for a reread.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

His dad's an ogre.

His mom had a potion of invulnerability. Though she really should have gone with the strength or ogre slaying potion.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

WickedHate posted:

Authors like Alan Moore always seem to have bits of perversion like that dangling gangrenously out of all their stories.

:ironicat:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

"Dangling" is one of the code words Glycon-cultists use to signal one another, along with "coiling" and (the riskiest) "slithering".

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I personally like "festooned" it's a great word

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

I have to say, burying a message to Robyn that way is... well, it's an indicator of unbelievably vast power. Does that count as badass?

What about where someone stretches their power and will to the limit, and then PAST their limits... and then it snaps and they're killed horribly? Does that count as badass? I'm thinking in particular of the death of Inertia, in Mark Gruenwald's 1989 Squadron Supreme GN.

the Squadron is dealing with a Giant Human Hand that's slowly but inexorably reaching through a rift in space. Apparently it's going to grab the Sun. Which could make the sun pop. And Gruenwald (of blessed memory) chose to portray this in terms of genuine astronomical sizes and distances and masses.

the Squadron are in a ship out by the asteroid belt.

they've already lost their telepath who tried to grab hold of the mind attached to the Hand, so he could force it to stop. (His head exploded.)

so Inertia reaches out to it with her power. Maybe she can make it go backwards, y'know?

and she strains

and strains

and straiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiins

... and explodes into a pink mist.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I think it only counts as badass if they actually accomplish something, no matter how little, before expiring. Like, in your example, if she'd managed to even just halt it for a brief time, give the others time to come up with a plan. Just running facefirst into a metaphorical brick wall isn't badass.

Bonus points if they have time to deliver a Shakespearean soliloquy about their life as they pass on.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 2, 2016

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Nevvy Z posted:

Why didn't he kill it?

This is pretty much one of those actions that only happens because comic book writers are a very particular sort and nonsense like this is occasionally accepted as more than melodrama.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
drat, I forgot about the secret message part. That was a cool bit.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Nilbop posted:

This is pretty much one of those actions that only happens because comic book writers are a very particular sort and nonsense like this is occasionally accepted as more than melodrama.

I would posit that, at that moment, he was not intellectually or physically capable of killing it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Bobulus posted:

I think it only counts as badass if they actually accomplish something, no matter how little, before expiring.

Like when Stormwatch all got killed by the aliens from Alien? The only member to reach the safety of their space station's command center kicked back and set a direct course for the Sun.

His power was energy-absorption, though, so I always thought they'd bring him back. :rip: Wildstorm.

(If you've ever wondered what happened to Stormwatch, they all died fighting the aliens from Alien.)

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
They're called Xenomorphs goddammit.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Malachite_Dragon posted:

They're called Xenomorphs goddammit.

Technically, that's only a basic descriptive term used only once in the movies. :eng101:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

But it is at least used. Between that and obvious practicality, I understand using that word, I just think it's less funny.

What I won't accept is calling the aliens from Predator "Predators," because they are never called that and they never predate. The correct short term should be "Hunters."
:goonsay:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I thought they were called hish

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yautja or Hish-Qu-Ten, depending on the expanded universe canon you accept.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I don't really "do" "canon."

Found the panels:

:ussr:

Further research has learned me that he was eventually brought back, but as a bad guy, but then again after that as a good guy. Comics.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Doc Hawkins posted:

(If you've ever wondered what happened to Stormwatch, they all died fighting the aliens from Alien.)

This is awesome, did this happen in the final issues of the stormwatch book or was it a separate mini?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

site posted:

This is awesome, did this happen in the final issues of the stormwatch book or was it a separate mini?

When the idea for the crossover was explained to him Warren Ellis wasn't enthusiastic, he kept telling them he thought the idea was "Bloody stupid" but was won round when "he was told that he could kill any character he wanted".

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sweet, thanks

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
On the one hand that seems kind of petty, on the other if the writer doesn't want to write a concept and your selling point is that he can kill anyone, I don't know what else you'd expect.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

fatherdog posted:

On the one hand that seems kind of petty, on the other if the writer doesn't want to write a concept and your selling point is that he can kill anyone, I don't know what else you'd expect.

He used the clean slate to launch the Authority, so it worked out pretty well for Wildstorm. Pretty amazing they kept it canon instead of making it a one shot or whatever. Over at Image a crossover with Batman was integral to the plot of The Darkness, too.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
The event was retconned later on to involve I think Daemonites instead who are like Xenomorphs but not.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Annual reminder that EVERY SINGLE CAMEO/CROSSOVER EVER is canon in 2000 AD/Dredd.

That's pretty badass.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
If I remember correctly, Frank Miller's Batman/Spawn was canon to Spawn. Al had to walk around for a couple of issues with a Batarang scar on his face.

Also, there was a Marvel/Top Cow crossover that was canon to Top Cow's universe, since it was the first time Dani Baptiste had ever met Jackie Escatado. They brought it up later in the comic where Sara's daughter was born.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

the Invincible/Spider-man crossover was canon too, I believe

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think Spawn also counted his many crossovers as canon, including the Batman one.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Wanderer posted:

If I remember correctly, Frank Miller's Batman/Spawn was canon to Spawn. Al had to walk around for a couple of issues with a Batarang scar on his face.

iirc, he sewed it up with a dirty shoelace no less.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That does not sound like it would help.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

And then, he left the shoelace behind, his widow's new daughter tied a pacifier to it and wouldn't ever let go of it!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Fun fact if you go back and look at the trade paper backs of Knights End (where Batman comes back and claims his title back of Jean Paul Valley) there is a bit where Az-Bat is talking about how he is a good guy because he beats up villains.
He mentions that he defeated "Jigsaw."

Which is a reference to the Chuck Dixon Punisher/Batman crossover. So that one was cannon, I guess.

Oh and speaking of Punisher, Archie/Punisher was referenced by way of a photograph in the super crazy Archie/Predator crossover. So they are also cannon, I guess.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Doc Hawkins posted:

Like when Stormwatch all got killed by the aliens from Alien? The only member to reach the safety of their space station's command center kicked back and set a direct course for the Sun.

His power was energy-absorption, though, so I always thought they'd bring him back. :rip: Wildstorm.

They did bring he back for an issue, he had absorbed the power of the sun which caused him to descend into madness, so he decided to burn Earth to cinders as they had forgotten about him, prompting the Authority to put him in stasis to suffer forever, since they could not kill him since that meant killing the sun. :thatswildstorm:

Have to love that he died in a heroic manner, then they bring him back to put him down like a chump, just for one issue.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The Question IRL posted:

Fun fact if you go back and look at the trade paper backs of Knights End (where Batman comes back and claims his title back of Jean Paul Valley) there is a bit where Az-Bat is talking about how he is a good guy because he beats up villains.
He mentions that he defeated "Jigsaw."

Which is a reference to the Chuck Dixon Punisher/Batman crossover. So that one was cannon, I guess.

Oh and speaking of Punisher, Archie/Punisher was referenced by way of a photograph in the super crazy Archie/Predator crossover. So they are also cannon, I guess.

That's some St Elsewhere poo poo.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I know IDW just did like a line wide mega crossover so it's not really a thing for this to happen, but i enjoy the fact that the Ghostbusters/tmnt teamup is canon

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

That's some St Elsewhere poo poo.

you realize the guy who first came up with the St Elsewhere theory was Dwayne McDuffie, yeah? Dude was all about comics and intercompany crossovers.

Choco1980 posted:

drat, I forgot about the secret message part. That was a cool bit.

Incidentally, it's a double secret message. Moore chose to emphasize the acrostic, but the rest of the message was actually meaningful too.

Robyn is the Earthly lass, and unless she heeds (listens, is careful), this primitive countryside rustic-type world/sphere/orb is gonna get her killed (be her nemesis).

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, the way I interpreted it was that the Acrostic was the Dragon's way of telling Robyn this message was explicitly towards her, not Jaffs. But the whole thing comes across like he's talking THROUGH the flashback, akin to the sort of realization of when someone knows you're spying on them and addresses it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

I know IDW just did like a line wide mega crossover so it's not really a thing for this to happen, but i enjoy the fact that the Ghostbusters/tmnt teamup is canon

Well, not line-wide as IDW isn't a shared universe, but the Hasbro titles that crossed over are.