Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

epenthesis posted:

Well done on summarizing my adult life in one sentence.

Better then blowing your 20s on WOW/videogames like a former roommate of mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
If this thread didn't have enough stories to prove otherwise, I'd assume this was a troll:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5g7fr4/24_unemployed_10000_in_savings_tired_of_renting/ posted:

24, unemployed, $10000 in savings. Tired of renting. Mortgage options? (self.personalfinance)

I'm 24, planning on going to college soon for the trades (high income). I'm tired of renting. $600 on a place seems like a waste when that could be going towards a mortgage. My dream would be to buy a house, rent it out and share with someone until it is paid off, while I go to college and work. Is this an insane and ridiculous dream? I will have student loans on top of a mortgage. But I don't see the difference between paying a mortgage and paying rent every month

BTW I'm in Canada if it makes a difference

Edit: I plan on getting a job soon. I've just been in a transitional phase. But I will not be unemployed for much longer. I'd be getting something like administration or serving or retail.

2: Thank you everyone for the responses. I sort of know that this is not feasible any time soon I just wanted to hear some opinions. I will certainly be renting until I finish my studies, but I think I have resolved that my goal is to buy a piece of land and build an off-grid house. Thanks for the inspiration :)
Bonus points for the comments getting into tiny houses, including a guy who doesn't understand why most people want a normal toilet:

quote:

Precisely what do you consider normal? Are you implying that your opinion to be connected to a city sewage grid is the ONLY acceptable form of waste management? Perhaps you have degrees in microbiology or sustainable waste management? This is immensely silly. There are far more options than the few you listed.

Also...if you look at my original response, I mentioned how people want something without having to work for it.

Labor is part of life. This person is in their 20's. Seems capable of a few hours of work in order to have a functional potty for years to come:)

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

*my adult life through 2012

But thank you; that would have been useful for me a few years ago.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Hello I would like to purchase a 600sq ft condo with a bucket potty

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

quote:

Alcohol is just the easy way to go about things
Hell working out makes you crave it less, but you sub one addiction to another.
???

I mean how many people can actually even get 'addicted' to working out. Not to mention how much healthier that would obviously be.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I know MLM is hilariously bad with money, but what if you sign up with Amway, Mary Kay, Tupperware or similar and sell them through a retail storefront or on eBay? Or do they have in their terms and conditions that it MUST be sold through homeparties and door-to-door?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Thanks for posting this thread. A lot of it hits very close to home for me.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

evobatman posted:

I know MLM is hilariously bad with money, but what if you sign up with Amway, Mary Kay, Tupperware or similar and sell them through a retail storefront or on eBay? Or do they have in their terms and conditions that it MUST be sold through homeparties and door-to-door?

Uhh I think they're happy if you manage to sell, doesn't matter how you do it. The problem with eBay is that you lose the social pressure and sales techniques you can apply irl so there's no reason anyone would buy your stuff (cause it's way overpriced). Also, you can't recruit new sellers, which is a big part of MLM income

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Yeah the only reason anyone buys that bullshit is "to help out my girlfriend". You'd never make any money selling it online.

Retail pharmacists in my area make about $132k per year. My first pharmacy manager was selling Arbonne. I just, you know, kept my comments to myself and declined to buy anything on my (at the time) $10/hr wages.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

http://www.npr.org/2016/12/03/504158266/i-dont-want-to-be-the-breadwinner-in-my-marriage-anymore posted:

My husband has a life that many people who are "rule-followers," like me, would envy. When I first met him, it was undeniably a passionate love affair. I'd never dated anyone or known anyone like him before. He took risks, lived all over the world, had many passions and has been a loyal friend. He's seven years older than I am, and we met at work, where his power and seniority at the office was insanely attractive to me. The year we got married, he wanted to take a risk and go back to graduate school to find his dream job. I trusted his judgment, and between his savings, my new job, and some sacrifices, we comfortably lived while he went through two years of graduate school. My husband now has his dream job. I'm proud of everything he's accomplished and what we were able to do together to make it happen.

Over the past four years, my career has skyrocketed in ways I never could have dreamed of. I've broken through the hypothetical glass ceiling in a male-dominated industry. I am a huge believer in women in the workplace and always will be. If they become the breadwinners in marriage, more power to them.

Now herein lies my problem — I became the breadwinner in an extreme way. I committed to supporting us for two years, but we're going on four now, and it will likely be five. Our income divide is so extreme that I pay for 90 percent of our living expenses. What I've found is I can't live this girl-power lifestyle that I believe in.

I'm very close to a breaking point, and I never stop thinking about leaving my husband. And no matter what other reasons I come up with, it always leads back to money, power and sexual attraction. I hate myself for it. I hate my sexist, wealthy, materialistic father, who likely instilled these ideals in me. I hate my mother-in-law, who thinks women shouldn't have to work. I hate that I want a more traditional lifestyle with a husband who can provide for me. I hate that I'm not confident enough in myself to have children because I don't think I can be the financial provider and a mother. And I hate that I would never look at my husband the same way if he was a stay-at-home dad.

What I hate most of all is that this is not what my husband wants either. He never imagined that he would spend all of his savings to follow his dreams to come out on the other end making a quarter of his prior salary. When I ask myself if I would've ever married an older man that I would financially support for the first five years of marriage, and possibly forever, the answer is a hard "no." And most days I feel like I can't do this one second longer.

He's doing everything in his power to make more of a financial contribution, but his fruitless attempts haven't pulled me out of this rut. It's embarrassing enough to him that I could never tell my friends or family the extent of our income divide, and I can't tell him exactly how I feel either. Maybe this was a risk he shouldn't have taken. I want to be taken care of. I want to pull back at work in order to have a family. And I am so ashamed of my feelings.

Sugars, please help me live what I believe in.

With love,

Breadwinner

Is basing your attraction to your husband on his income GWM or BWM?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://np.reddit.com/r/LegalAdviceUK/comments/5gbufy/selling_house_to_neighbour_he_did_renovations_can/

quote:

Selling house to neighbour, he did renovations, can no longer buy house and wants all the money pack for the renovations (self.LegalAdviceUK)
submitted 22 hours ago by Mhairib
Hello
This is a very long and confusing issue that has spanned 3 years so far. I will try and be an informative as I can but without too many identifying facts.
3 years ago my partner and I decided to move in together and save for a house. He owned a house 1 hours drive away. We didn't want to live there so decided to sell the house and live in a flat a family member owned (for cheap rent while we saved).
During a causal conversation my Partner, Dave, told his neighbour he will be selling the property. The neighbour said he will buy the house. With the plan to knock it through into one larger house. They verbally agreed on a price, £200,000. The neighbour then said he would have the money and mortgage together in a month. This then went on for 4 months him delaying buying it saying he would get the money together in another month.
Nothing was done through solicitors just verbal between Dave and neighbour.
After 4 months there was some water damage to the property. The neighbour arranged and paid for this to be fixed, and asked if he could 'do some work' around the house whilst the water damage was being fixed.
About 3 months later the water damaged was fixed we thought the sale could go ahead but the neighbour still didn't have the deposit money. But he was still doing various renovations to the house. Do to the nature of our jobs and the distance to the house we hadn't been to see it during all this work. and couldn't regularly go out there.
The neighbour then said he had changed his mind and wanted to rent the house out instead of knocking through. So a buy to let mortgage was required. He said the mortgage couldn't go through because the house wasn't liveable.
It turns out when the neighbour said 'do some work' he meant completely renovated the whole house. He ripped out the kitchen, both bathrooms, all the flooring, moved 2 walls, and put in 2 new windows, new boiler, new heating system and radiators through out the house. he also built a shed and landscaped the garden.

It is worth noting here that there was nothing wrong with any of the interiors or things he change. He only changed them because they were not to his taste. The house was modern and not indeed of any serious upgrades. It had even been painted and had new flooring put in less that 1 year before.
We were not aware of this at all. and hadn't agreed too this work. We were under the impression that he was doing a spot of painting, changing light fittings, only simple things.
The neighbour ran out of money about 1 year into this project and that delayed work. The house wasn't liveable. This has been getting very slowly finished over the last 2 years. 3 years total from the neighbour verbally agreeing to buy the house.
Dave has been highly stressed and in denial about the whole situation which has resulting it in dragging out so long. He knows this. He didn't want to face the issue which I believe and left this getting as bad as it is.
The neighbour has taken out high interest loans to do work on the property to get it finished, and cant borrow anymore money. We are now paying for the remainder. including new kitchen, plastering, radiation installation, new flooring. it is amount to tens of thousands of £.
Early last year the neighbour admitted he can't buy the house anytime soon. He has no money but was hopeful that some kind of investment he had would pay out and mean he could buy it outright. which has never materialised. He has been very vague about what this investment is.
We got the place valued and it worth £240,000. which is £40,000 more than what the neighbour had agreed to originally pay us 3 years ago. It was again verbally agreed that we would put the house on the market once it is finished, Dave will get the original price £200,000 and anything above that will go to the neighbour because it is his renovations which have caused the increase in price.
Once the neighbour ran out of money and Dave started to pay for things. It was verbally agreed that all the money Dave put it he would get back by the portion of money he received from the sale going up. So if he spent £10,000 he would get £210,000 in the sale and the neighbours portion would go down. Again this was all verbally agreed.
The deadline for the house going on the market is early next year. After we gave him that he has said he wants the full costs he has spent on the house back. which is £80,000. It hasn't added that much value to house. so if the house sells at full asking price we will lose out £40,000.
we don't feel we need to pay him back the full value. but are happy to pay him back that value he has added to the house.
some extra points, we have paid the bills and running cost for the house the whole time. We have paid him back in full for the water damage work he initially organised and paid for. The neighbour doesn't get on well with technology and has difficultly with emails so there is very little emails between the two of them. Everything has been arranged verbally either in person or on the phone.
Does he have a legal claim to the full costs? even though we never asked for any of the work to be done? he has no documents or paperwork which invoice the work, it was a lot of cash in hand jobs. Can he put a lien on the property preventing us selling it?
We are seeing a solicitor next week but I just want a heads up what we are to expect.
TL;DR neighbour said he would buy our house. neighbour did renovation on our property. We never request he do any of this work. He didn't disclose the extent of the work. The house has been unliveable due to his work, for 3 years. Added £40,000 to the house value but spent £80,000 over 3 years and wants the full cost back. He keeps delaying buying the property and making up excuses. We have given a deadline for getting it on the market. Do we have to pay him the total value? what legal issues will be face?

Let someone spend tens of thousands inside your house with nothing more than a "verbal agreement", what could go wrong?

And the guy was spending $25 on "luxury lightswitches" :lol:

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Screw the neighbor, his work is worth nothing if he left the place in an unrentable, unsellable condition which required large sums out of pocket to correct and wasted three years of time.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

I have an employee I love. He's smart, he's funny - everyone loves him. He drinks too much.
The problem with the word "alcoholic" is that most people don't think they fall into that category until it's way way too late. An alcoholic is someone who shows up to work drunk, or drives into a utility pole after the Christmas party, right?
Semantics aside, he drinks too much and so he doesn't bring his A-game to work. His attendance is lovely, he's not really mentally "present" until after his 2pm coffee, and he chronically thinks that working later in the evening makes up for not being around the rest of the team in the morning. He's a never ending sea of excuses and pride that randomly produces genius segments of code. But we're a team, and some days he's just not part of that.
He's young, so he thinks he's invincible, but it's already had a pretty negative consequence on his career. Other people around him get promoted - he doesn't. Other people get better bonuses, he doesn't. ...and so naturally he's becoming resentful, which further drives his need to go party again.
I've given him all the right feedback about it, but he just doesn't take it seriously - or doesn't want to. Today, it's not the end of the world for him, but 10 years from now, he'll look back and think: "gently caress" as he pulls that bottle of scotch out from under his desk alone at work on a Friday night.

Oh no that describes me but i don't even drink at all so i assume it just makes me a very bad person oh no oh no

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

To be fair I'm actually mentally present in the mornings and my actual attendance isn't terrible I just wind up working alone most of the time (I'm assigned to teams with like one other person and the other person is busy with his second project that consumes all his time) and am late in the mornings more often than I like and I've never been selected as employee of the month while basically every other person has been :sigh:

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Literally Elvis posted:

Is basing your attraction to your husband on his income GWM or BWM?

Kind of disgusted that neither the LW nor the people answering the question suggested "get therapy to fix my/your broken brain, as there is objectively nothing wrong with this situation."

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Yeah really, gently caress him. Why should he get 'his investment' back if the owner has to spend out of pocket to get it in livable or sellable condition? When you invest you have an agreement ahead of time.

So what if he isn't "good with technology." Either he has receipts and/or invoices somewhere, which show him doing unpermitted work on property he doesn't own with likely no agreement from the owner, or he doesn't. Not rocket science here.

ate all the Oreos posted:

Oh no that describes me but i don't even drink at all so i assume it just makes me a very bad person oh no oh no

The key here is to understand that interacting with your co-workers and working productively on a team is part of your job description. At 24 I didn't understand this either, but no matter how good your product is, no matter how much your customers might love you, no matter how indispensable you might try to make yourself, no one is irreplaceable.

It doesn't make you a bad person. If you don't do it innately, learn. If you have a manager or co-worker who is willing to take the time to actually tell you about the problem, instead of deciding you should just know, take any advice that person is willing to give.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 4, 2016

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

epenthesis posted:

Kind of disgusted that neither the LW nor the people answering the question suggested "get therapy to fix my/your broken brain, as there is objectively nothing wrong with this situation."

"I'm now rich and can't bear it because of what is literally the patriarchy worming its way into my brain" is such a uniquely stupid American problem :allears:

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Uh maybe I'm just talking out my rear end because I too am North American but I feel like the patriarchy is probably also a problem in other places where women have access to wealth? I don't know, just guessing.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Dogfish posted:

Uh maybe I'm just talking out my rear end because I too am North American but I feel like the patriarchy is probably also a problem in other places where women have access to wealth? I don't know, just guessing.

I mean obviously but this particular case of her being very upset that she can't have a handsome billionaire controlling boss husband because she happens to be more successful seems pretty American

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

She's conflating earning money with competence. Many people do it, and many women are attracted to men who display competence which is why uniformed professions get so much tail. She needs therapy and they need a marriage counselor stat.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Cicero posted:

???

I mean how many people can actually even get 'addicted' to working out. Not to mention how much healthier that would obviously be.

I have been trying for years to get 'addicted' to working out but instead I'm just addicted to drugs. BWM.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I mean obviously but this particular case of her being very upset that she can't have a handsome billionaire controlling boss husband because she happens to be more successful seems pretty American

BWM: Lifestyle creep such that you can't allow yourself to take your foot off the gas to enjoy your life, and thus have to pay a therapist a copay a week forever.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
If she is earning literally 10x what he does and he was previously capable of making real money, I could see where she might feel a little resentful about that even absent ingrained cultural norms around money and gender. Add those in and her feelings are understandable. She needs to consider renegotiating thier arrangement if it bothers her that much or they are headed for splitsville. Adults don't always get to follow thier dreams.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Guess she should've been less successful so she'd be happy in her marriage.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

therobit posted:

If she is earning literally 10x what he does and he was previously capable of making real money, I could see where she might feel a little resentful about that even absent ingrained cultural norms around money and gender. Add those in and her feelings are understandable. She needs to consider renegotiating thier arrangement if it bothers her that much or they are headed for splitsville. Adults don't always get to follow thier dreams.

If she was making 10 times the amount of someone who was managing other people in the first place then she can afford to retire at like age 30 and live off interest and roleplay her weird daddy power fantasies for the rest of her life all she wants.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Why can't I find a woman that makes 10x what I do. I would do nothing but cook, clean, and sit ups for that woman.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

therobit posted:

Why should she feel resentment? He's working, and she takes great pains to point out what a good husband he is in every instance except his paycheck. She didn't mention any money issues, so it doesn't sound like they needed his income to survive. So what are we really looking at here? It doesn't sound like job jealousy since she also sounds like she enjoys her job. Given her initial description of him when they met mentioned his status and wealth it really does sound like she equates masculinity with money and/or has some weird daddy issues. No amount of "renegotiation" of the marriage will be able to fix that.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

GamingHyena posted:

Given her initial description of him when they met mentioned his status and wealth it really does sound like she equates masculinity with money and/or has some weird daddy issues.

I really hate armchair psychologizing like this but the way she initially described him made it sound very much like daddy issues:

quote:

He's seven years older than I am, and we met at work, where his power and seniority at the office was insanely attractive to me.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
The guy sounds GWM. Doing a job he loves, only pays a small percentage of the expenses. If she divorces him for someone earning more, he doesn't stand to lose much because he didn't pay for any of it.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

GamingHyena posted:

Why should she feel resentment? He's working, and she takes great pains to point out what a good husband he is in every instance except his paycheck. She didn't mention any money issues, so it doesn't sound like they needed his income to survive. So what are we really looking at here? It doesn't sound like job jealousy since she also sounds like she enjoys her job. Given her initial description of him when they met mentioned his status and wealth it really does sound like she equates masculinity with money and/or has some weird daddy issues. No amount of "renegotiation" of the marriage will be able to fix that.

I don't know that much about their situation, but if I felt my spouse was not contributing equally even though they were capable of doing so, it might bug me is all. Maybe they really don't need the money. It does sound wierd that they have separated finances when there is that much disparity in thier incomes, but why would she mention that she pays 90 percent of everything unless that bothered her?

Edit: if he was at home with the kids or something I would say that would be different because it is a shitload of work for no pay and is a non-financial contribution.

therobit fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 5, 2016

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
It takes all kinds, but I'm not sure either individual is really bad with money. Kinky, maybe, but probably not bad with money.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Moneyball posted:

The guy sounds GWM. Doing a job he loves, only pays a small percentage of the expenses. If she divorces him for someone earning more, he doesn't stand to lose much because he didn't pay for any of it.

If she's the bread winner he could try to get alimony as well.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

I really hate armchair psychologizing like this but the way she initially described him made it sound very much like daddy issues:

Just FYI the patriarchy constantly tells women from pretty much age 10 onwards that they should find powerful, commanding men who adhere to traditional expressions of masculinity attractive and that men who don't fit that macho ideal are unattractive wimps for whom they shouldn't "settle." I make 3x what my husband does and people ask me with great regularity whether a) that bothers him or b) whether it makes me see him as less of a man. My grandfather suggested I should lie and tell my husband I made less money than he does so that he wouldn't feel badly. These are usually the same people who enquire whether I'll let my husband "babysit" once the baby's born and who are shocked to discover he's planning to take six months' parental leave. It's not "daddy issues;" it's a ubiquitous cultural perception that women deal with all the drat time.

Also, if you don't want to armchair psychologize you should probably take phrases like "daddy issues," which are useful ONLY for armchair psychology, out of your vocabulary.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Dogfish posted:

Also, if you don't want to armchair psychologize you should probably take phrases like "daddy issues," which are useful ONLY for armchair psychology, out of your vocabulary.

I am not trying to reinforce really deeply ingrained cultural gender stereotypes by suggesting that these peoples' lives or intimacy is wrong or bad by using the word "kinky" and I hope it didn't prompt any resentment on your part; I just mean that it clearly seems to be creating some unresolved psychosexual tension in the relationship in question.

I also suggest taking every opportunity to rub in in a mans' face when they ask about your husband "babysitting" to correct them that, no, he will be PARENTING and it's a shame their children don't have such good fortune to be parented by two adults who understand the potential pitfalls of making assumptions about gender.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
My response to "And will you let your husband babysit?" is always "No; I'll try to get out of the way of his parenting, though." It's also not just - or even mostly - men who ask me that.

My response to "Don't you think it makes your husband feel like less of a man that you make more than he does?" is usually "I doubt it; his dick's enormous." Ask an inappropriate question, get an inappropriate answer.

For the record, I don't see any evidence of financial domination or any other kind of unusual psychosexual configuration in that women's post; it reads to me, a financially successful woman, as a woman struggling with the conflict between gender-normative messages that all women are given for as long as we can remember, and the fact that the person she loves doesn't fit within that narrative. That's actually a pretty common experience for women in the normal course of things.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Dogfish posted:

My response to "Don't you think it makes your husband feel like less of a man that you make more than he does?" is usually "I doubt it; his dick's enormous." Ask an inappropriate question, get an inappropriate answer.

Yeah, those are stupid questions. If the answer was "Yes, absolutely. It torments him and it's a great source of strife and sadness in our marriage", would they really want to have that conversation?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Man, I'm so thankful I wasn't born a woman and therefore don't have to spend a ton of time thinking about this sort of stupid poo poo. Its a totally different life experience than I'm used to.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I am not trying to reinforce really deeply ingrained cultural gender stereotypes by suggesting that these peoples' lives or intimacy is wrong or bad by using the word "kinky" and I hope it didn't prompt any resentment on your part; I just mean that it clearly seems to be creating some unresolved psychosexual tension in the relationship in question.

I also suggest taking every opportunity to rub in in a mans' face when they ask about your husband "babysitting" to correct them that, no, he will be PARENTING and it's a shame their children don't have such good fortune to be parented by two adults who understand the potential pitfalls of making assumptions about gender.

There are about a million causes of psychosexual tension, all of them more nuanced than shouting "daddy issues". The idea that, even if this was some kind of kink thing they get up to, it must be rooted in some damaged father-daughter relationship is pretty simplistic and frankly incorrect.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, those are stupid questions. If the answer was "Yes, absolutely. It torments him and it's a great source of strife and sadness in our marriage", would they really want to have that conversation?

Questions like that are like "How are you?" in that they're designed to be read as statements, not questions. "How are you?" means "Hello," not "Give me an accurate assessment of how you are at this moment." What they're trying to do is suggest with a question-that's-not-a-question that I should make a change in my lifestyle to be a more appropriate kind of woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Oh boy, this thread is going in a neat direction. Language police have found us out.

Here, fun wedding BWM:

Dropped $4,500 on friend's wedding to settle the open bar tab, only to find out the bride's parents are in a payment dispute with the venue. posted:

Long story short, I attended a wedding of some close friends and stayed back at the venue after most left to help clean up. I was the last to leave and got stopped on the way out by the venue staff wondering where the bride is so they can settle the tab. He wanted to call her and have her come back to figure it out. I told him not to worry about it, don't bother her, whatever it is I'll take care of it and figure it out with them later in terms of paying me back. Turned out to be $4,500 of various costs, which I had them split on two of my credit cards. Once settling that, I took copies of receipts and took pictures of them with my signatures on them.
Once the bride's parents heard about what happened, they told me that they've actually overpaid the venue, and they're disputing the venue rate because apparently the venue had been a nightmare, didn't do this and that, etc. her parents told me to cancel the charges on my cards immediately... Except.. My signatures are on the receipts. We were all inebriated when all of this was taking place and didn't exactly have time time to get into it. I got chase to cancel the first half of the charge and replace my card, but AMEX wants to do an inquiry, and they're probably gonna push back on the second half of the $4.5k that I put on it.
My question is what the gently caress do I do about this, and yes I'm a tragically nice idiot. Kinda freaking out the morning after.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5ghdpl/dropped_4500_on_friends_wedding_to_settle_the/

• Locked thread