Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Mystic Stylez posted:

Is a modless playthrough recommended for a first run?

It's probably one of their best on-release titles so far, you shouldn't need to go crazy on mods on the first playthrough and can just add them on as you find small annoyances or things you feel could be improved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I think the full dialogue mod makes a big difference (I usually don't mind condensed text, but it's often difficult to guess what the PC is going to say).

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The mod that gives all clothing items access to ballistic fiber is 100% necessary for pretty dress up action.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

nah

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Nasgate posted:

The mod that gives all clothing items access to ballistic fiber is 100% necessary for pretty dress up action.

I'd say throw in unique uniques too just to make the game a tiny bit more interesting.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Agreed on the ballistic fiber mod - that was such an oversight on Bethesda's part that I felt compelled to do it even on my first, 'vanilla-only' playthrough.

Ballistic fiber doesn't make the game any less difficult, it just lets you play more to your own style.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The dialogue mod and the mod that let's you wear any armor piece combination for maximum dressup without sacrificing your defenses were the main mods I used early after release.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Mystic Stylez posted:

Beyond texture packs and ui mods I'd say start modless and add mods as you find stuff that annoys you.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I grabbed the Any mod for any weapon thing, and it's not working at all. Nothing is different, I can only make and attach the standard mods, anyone know why this isn't working anymore?

EDIT: turns out I had to make a weapon from a specific crafted workbench :shepface: now if only it would stop crashing when I did that.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 26, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Just wanted to give you a heads up that Horizon (basically an expanded Project Nevada for Fallout 4) hit v0.99 today. If that's your sort of thing, I'd highly recommend it
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17374/

Also FROST (successor to DUST:New Vegas) is coming along well but I wouldn't bother with that until it's anywhere near complete.

My load order (so far) for a really immersive no-bloat survival experience

(ShadowBoost+ENBoost+Optimized Textures)
Far Area Reform
Interiors Enhanced - Darker Ambient Light and Fog
Natural and Atmospheric Commonwealth (with PRC-mimic preset, does pretty much everything, I prefer it to True Storms but get True Storms+compatbility patch for the rain occlusion so you don't get hosed by rad storms inside)
HORIZON Survival Overhaul
DEF_UI (Horizon does its own item sorting so don't use Valacil)
WOF Ballistic Overhaul (with trails, trust me, you'll poo poo yourself when you're playing Horizon and you see trails and hear a firefight off in the distance)
reverb+ambience overhaul
some assembly required
Towbie's Realistic Gun Fire Overhaul (this with reverb+ambience overhaul and no music is god-tier)
No More Combat Music (optional but I turn off music generally depending on the situation and combat is one of them, imagine the firefight scene in Heat, that's how it is with these sound mods)
Classic Fallout Ambience (alternate version which combines Fallout 1+2+4 ambient music)
Raider Overhaul (disable bonus stats so it doesn't break Horizon balance)
Live Dismemberment (blow off limbs instead of cripple enemies)
Realistic Melee Range and Kill Moves
SilentUI
Vault-tec historical preservation initiative (lore poo poo)

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 27, 2016

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I've been trying to find a mod for Fallout 4, but I haven't been finding anything quite like what I'm looking for.

What I want is something that, say, when you use a melee attack, or a melee power attack, lets you knock someone back. You know, if I hit a guy with a super sledge, you send him flying a bit. Not just staggering or anything, and not only on a kill. I'm not necessarily looking for balance, more just an excuse to charge full speed into a guy and keep knocking him to the ground/wall/ceiling until I win. Anyone know where to find something like that? Or, if not, how I might go about doing it myself?

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I've been trying to find a mod for Fallout 4, but I haven't been finding anything quite like what I'm looking for.

What I want is something that, say, when you use a melee attack, or a melee power attack, lets you knock someone back. You know, if I hit a guy with a super sledge, you send him flying a bit. Not just staggering or anything, and not only on a kill. I'm not necessarily looking for balance, more just an excuse to charge full speed into a guy and keep knocking him to the ground/wall/ceiling until I win. Anyone know where to find something like that? Or, if not, how I might go about doing it myself?

Isn't there a perk called Pain Train? Not sure what exactly it does, but the description of it seems similar to what you're looking for.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Speak of the devil, I found a Perk Overhaul (here: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/14283/ ) which has a perk that does that stuff. Now I just need to copy some stuff over, and presto.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Pain Train knocks people down if you sprint into them while in power armor. I recommend http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/6580/ and http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/6740/ with it to give it a lot more oomph.

I'm pretty much always in power armor so I don't use this one, but if you just wanna knock people down with your 10 STR character or whatever, you might look into http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/5099/

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Both those mods make it less impressive, though. I want to send people flying, not tone it down a notch.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The practical effect is much more satisfying. I found with vanilla pain train that I would hit someone, they'd fly way the gently caress off into the distance, and then I'd have to chase them down to keep punching; or, I'd hit them, they'd hit some obstruction, and I would charge through and past them.

Now you send them slightly less distance, but you collide with them as they ragdoll which means they get pushed in front of you. If you have the room to continue sprinting with these mods on, you can push people way farther, and they're not 10 meters away when you're finished sprinting. It also means you can do things like bodyslam people into walls and off ledges much more easily.

If it's not for you then that's what it is, but I can't recommend the collision paintrain enough.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
This was a while back, but I had Realistic Ragdolls mod installed and I sniped a named raider walking across a bridge between two buildings, and he somehow glitched and rocketed into the sky with his arms and legs flailing. The great thing was it was a nice clear day, so I could watch as he turned into a tiny speck in the sky and I could see him as he came down as well. It was in that swampy area near Jamaica Town and his body splashed down right behind me. My 7 year old was watching me play, and we could not stop laughing for several minutes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Since my current play through of Skyrim is wrapping up, I'm going to play this again.
Last time I left off was right before the Vault-Tec DLC so I haven't touched Nuka as well.

Aside from an alternate start mod, are there any new must-haves?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Anyone tried Project Overlord and have any thoughts?

I'm looking for a difficulty overhaul but I'm not a huge fan of the Horizon perks.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Dropping these for the OP and my fellow SimWasteland fans:

Workshop Rearranged
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/16181/

Improves a whole bunch of stuff about the settlement menu and buildable objects, as well as adding a ton of new ones, all in neatly ordered submenus.

Busy Settlers
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/7010/

Adds craftable animation markers and NPC workbenches to make your settlements seem much more alive.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I don't know what mod did it, I think it might have been the fallout 4 alternate start mod. But ever since revisiting vault 101 I've been stuck hearing the vault siren and alert broadcast in every single underground zone in the entire game. It's really weird.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So it's been a while since I played this (when Far Harbor came out) and I figure if I'm gonna play it again I should update my mods and probably start a fresh save.

With that in mind, what are some Really Good Mods right now? I like weapon variety, although I'm more into energy weapons (and sniping) than realistic recreations of modern guns and such. A cool perk mod would be great, surely there's a good perk revamp by now. New armor sets (fashion is important) would be neat, and of course any mods that deal with annoyances are welcome (is there a mod that removes Vertibirds and their loudass WHRRRRRRR yet?) My current (outdated) mods are DEF_UI, Lone Wanderer, Binary Speech Checks, Armorsmith, couple of CROSS mods (jetpack), Boss Chests contain Legendaries, craftable ammo, stuff in boxes and the Alien Assault Rifle.

I'll look through the BIG GOOD FALLOUT 4 MODS FOR GOONS! list too of course, I just figured I'd ask here as well since I don't know the last time that list was updated :3:

e: also I would love an alternate start mod since I've gone through the beginning of the game like 8 times at this point. It takes a bit to get to the meat of the game (when the factions open up and such) and if I could jump straight there that would make a new playthrough a lot smoother.

e2: I might also need help updating my mods (especially DEF_UI) without breaking anything. Spent a lot of time on that interface, don't want to screw it up.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Dec 1, 2016

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
For an alternate start mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/13762/

You can pick pre-made themes or make your own with faction standing, starting loadout, etc.... It's pretty good but results in some weird effects (no game break, I just finished the main story with the institute and nothing went badly) such as: The Prydwen is already there for the Enclave and NCR starts, the Railroad gate is already unlocked, Vault 111's people can sometimes be thawed and walking around but only scream when you talk to them (or not say anything at all).

It's pretty well made though.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

Vault 111's people can sometimes be thawed and walking around but only scream when you talk to them

That sounds like a feature to me, not a bug :v: Thanks!

Unrelated question; when updating DEF_UI, do I just need to backup DEF_HUD and DEF_INV from the DEF_CONF folder? I can't remember how I do this at all. Also, I install Valdacil before installing DEF_UI right?

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Mystic Stylez posted:

The base game is quite good and doesn't really necessarily need anything, but I can't really recommend doing a modless play through first. The main questline burnt me out on the game hard because I was so frustrated and unimpressed with it. I've tried to play it modded since, but the game is so laser focused on making sure you play it a certain way.(hyper concerned but easily distracted parent playing errand boy/girl for the faction of your choice who won't listen to you)

So I'd recommend going for quality of life mods, or whatever catches your fancy on your first playthrough, then getting silly with it on the second.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think I figured out my mods (though I'm still looking for recommendations, read above), but unfortunately the Alternate Start - Infinite Answer mod seems to have a gamebreaking bug for me; you can't unlock hairstyles :negative:

The barbers usually offer an array of new hairstyles in addition to the ones you could pick in the char creator, and you can unlock a couple of more with magazines but apparently it requires a flag that the Alternate Start mod forgets to set. I went back to Vault 111 and started the main quest and that made the hairstyles available, but the whole point of this mod was to skip doing the main quest so eh... Would picking an alternate start and then starting (and promptly dropping) the main quest work without any issues, I wonder?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Vault 111's people can sometimes be thawed and walking around but only scream when you talk to them (or not say anything at all).

:stare: That sounds like some creepypasta poo poo.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
That's hilarious. Are they like specifically recorded screams with face animation?

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'll try to replicate the weird creepy frozen bodies walking around.

The voice clip that I heard is the "female raider getting shot" yell.

I'm pretty sure it's a bug with the mod and not intended.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have another question; I think the Cryolator is really cool, but it doesn't mesh very well with my playstyle. How difficult would it be to mod the Cryolator to allow for a scope and make it more like a rifle than an SMG (Crystallizing barrel) aka. faster projectiles, longer range, higher damage and lower rate of fire? I basically want a frost-Gauss I guess.

Also, did Fallout 4 modding never really take off? :( I expected to find all kinds of new and interesting mods now that the game has been out for a while, but there really doesn't seem to be a lot that I haven't already seen.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Your Computer posted:

Also, did Fallout 4 modding never really take off? :( I expected to find all kinds of new and interesting mods now that the game has been out for a while, but there really doesn't seem to be a lot that I haven't already seen.

Modding for Fallout 4 is still less than a year old. The CK only came out this spring, and it'll still be a while before we get massive overhaul mods like Project Nevada and SPERG. Folks like the guy who makes Ojo Bueno are just starting to make textures, Millenia has only made two guns as of now, there's only been one full follower mod, hell, I don't think there's even a sex mod yet. You just have to wait out the initial wave of CBBE armor mods until those take a backseat to actually cool stuff.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kumaton posted:

Modding for Fallout 4 is still less than a year old. The CK only came out this spring, and it'll still be a while before we get massive overhaul mods like Project Nevada and SPERG. Folks like the guy who makes Ojo Bueno are just starting to make textures, Millenia has only made two guns as of now, there's only been one full follower mod, hell, I don't think there's even a sex mod yet. You just have to wait out the initial wave of CBBE armor mods until those take a backseat to actually cool stuff.

That's true, I guess. I guess I'm impatient :v: Also the thread seems pretty slow so I figured maybe there just wasn't a lot of interest in FO4 modding.

I'd love to get into modding myself, as I've got a bunch of experience doing 3D modeling (3ds Max) and lots of ideas but Bethesda modding has always been so impenetrable to me. The tools are clunky as heck, and basic stuff like importing models are everything but straightforward. Ideally I'd just mod the Cryolator myself (the changes sound simple enough) but last time I checked there weren't any good guides or introductions besides hilariously basic things like "here's now to change the damage value on the 10mm :downs:" and I just don't know where to start looking.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
I've looked around pretty extensively so I'm pretty sure this doesn't exist, but I guess I'll try asking:

Are there any mods that will in any way, shape or form let you load up a Power Armor with more than just the components and one (1) Fusion Core? I really want to use this thing as an occasional "gently caress you" button (particularly via something like Power Armor Delivery) but I'm playing Survival mode and I don't want to have to lug a half-dozen cores and a 30lb minigun all over the Commonwealth. My dream version of this mod would let me stuff several fusion cores into a given frame and attach weapons to it that are part of the frame's inventory like the armor plates are, but I'll settle for anything that lets me attach items to it.

Speaking of hauling crap around, how are we on portable containers? I'm absolutely in love with The Backpack for New Vegas but it seems like the only options for F4 are the simple +carryweight bags and straight-up cheats.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There are a few backpack mods for FO4, they're cheating for normal mode but somewhat essential for survival.

Backpack mod

K-9 Harness for your dog companion

Survivalist GO-bags

I personally use K-9 and Survivalist. I think they made survival mode a bit simpler and I think you can pick your own carry weight boos level.

Unfortunately there aren't super advanced camping/backpack mods out there yet, I think. I would love one of those heavy but deployable camps like with Skyrim or FNV.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

There are a few backpack mods for FO4, they're cheating for normal mode but somewhat essential for survival.

Backpack mod

K-9 Harness for your dog companion

Survivalist GO-bags

I personally use K-9 and Survivalist. I think they made survival mode a bit simpler and I think you can pick your own carry weight boos level.

Unfortunately there aren't super advanced camping/backpack mods out there yet, I think. I would love one of those heavy but deployable camps like with Skyrim or FNV.

Campsite - Simple Wasteland Camping or Camping Supplies are the only ones I know of. Camping Supplies might be dead but Campsite is still being worked on.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
Oh, I'm not really interested in the camping functionality. It's a nice bonus, but for me the real draw of The Backpack is how it functions as a container with an inventory weight dependent on the items you put in it, especially with the neat functionality of letting you auto-store stuff in it by category and except for pre-designated "keeper" items. It's more of an organizational thing than anything else. Between Salvage Beacons and APC Transport I'm not desperate for carry weight, but I would like the option to keep some things around but not in my inventory. I'd use companions, but having an idiot dog/overcurious reporter/yappy robot bumbling along aggroing raiders and stepping on mines kind of kills the survival mood.

Maybe I'll just get one of those cheaty portable containers and stick a few Power Armor bits and bobs in there on the honor system.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
If somebody does a list for best mods for replay/going into/survival mode/loving about I'll put in my posts just after the OP.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sensenmann posted:

Campsite - Simple Wasteland Camping or Camping Supplies are the only ones I know of. Camping Supplies might be dead but Campsite is still being worked on.

That one escaped me entirely! Thanks a bunch, will try it out.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Is Scrap Everything still the best mod for scrapping everything? Mine stopped working and I can't figure out why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Workshop Rearranged is awesome, been using it instead of Homemaker for a bit now.