Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

basic hitler posted:

i sincerely dont want to believe you people describing this cultural inability to judge for oneself if the weather actually calls for winter clothing/food

I can confirm this happens in korea too

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

When I got back here after spending summer in the UK it was still 30+ degrees everyday. My girlfriend had been learning to swim whilst I was away so I suggested we go for a swim, found out we couldn't because the swimming pools had all closed since it was too cold now...

this too, September 1 it's automatically winter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAkLY6AUEOE

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I assume you guys who can read Pinyin properly know that Wang Dong isn't pronounced in any way that could be funny.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
Yes it is? I've had multiple students called wang ke which is my favourite Chinese name.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Pictured: a woman with large mammaries

Is there anything at all that a denizen of this cursed land will not commit blatant fraud about?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I think this is China, can't be sure

https://my.mixtape.moe/ztvjni.webm

Maybe Vancouver or San Diego though

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
ontario actually

also old as gently caress

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tianjin today

Lol owned, I'm in San Diego

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Truly a hellscape only Mainlanders deserve

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Alan Smithee posted:

ontario actually

also old as gently caress

Close enough

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

The Great Autismo! posted:

Tianjin today

Lol owned, I'm in San Diego

Where did you get these? I want more, you see.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grand Fromage posted:

I once gave in to student demands to learn words for penis in English. I said okay fine, we'll learn two that you should know because you speak Chinese and might accidentally say them. I wrote wang and dong on the board and explained these meant penis.

Students lost their poo poo entirely for ages, and eventually pointed out that one of the kids in the class was named Wang Dong.

I apologized for ruining his life.

lol

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

basic hitler posted:

i sincerely dont want to believe you people describing this cultural inability to judge for oneself if the weather actually calls for winter clothing/food

Same thing happens in Korea too. I don't know if they do this in China, but in Korea the three hottest days of the year are set by the lunar calendar and you have special food you're supposed to eat on them. The temperature is irrelevant, the moon says these are the three official hot days each year.

I first encountered this my first year in Korea. It was late October or maybe November, had been cool for a while then we got one of those weird weeks where it went back up to 90F. Everyone was still wearing multiple coats and arctic gear because it is winter and therefore cold.

I would have students complain about being hot while wearing a pile of coats. Suggestions they take off their coat were met with screaming NO, IT'S WINTER and then they'd open the windows and let the heat out instead.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Han Nehi posted:

The one about crumbling buildings is pretty good too. That village could be in the next Fallout game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9eXi3RL8q4

I like the shrine that is still in use by the locals, but a 10 foot section of wall fell over and nobody bothers fixing it or even cleaning up the rubble.

wish i could ride motorcycles with my bf around china and shittalk it nonstop

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Grand Fromage posted:

I once gave in to student demands to learn words for penis in English. I said okay fine, we'll learn two that you should know because you speak Chinese and might accidentally say them. I wrote wang and dong on the board and explained these meant penis.

Students lost their poo poo entirely for ages, and eventually pointed out that one of the kids in the class was named Wang Dong.

I apologized for ruining his life.

I taught the students "poop"

Next week the boss said "Don't teach the students 'poop.'"

gently caress you I won't do what you tell me!

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

Sheep-Goats posted:

I taught the students "poop"

Next week the boss said "Don't teach the students 'poop.'"

gently caress you I won't do what you tell me!

I once had a two year old run up to me and say "you have a poopy diaper" it was here in the states.

When you realize that a 2 year old just called you the day care version of "fucker" and the parents are all "yeah he learned that from the older kids in day care"

It really makes you think about teaching kid to go back to day care with "oval office face" and then see how cute it is then.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
My 4 YO curses like a sailor. That's only partially my good parenting, but thanks to daycare. The other good thing that they bring from there is gastrointestinal diseases.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Yes it is? I've had multiple students called wang ke which is my favourite Chinese name.

No.

It should also be pointed out that the special food you're supposed to eat on the hottest day of the year in Korea is dog soup.

This was served by a woman with puppies on her apron.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
I was at the pier with about twenty other men, forming a rough semi-circle around our speaker, in preparation for a historical awareness event about the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Hong Kong. Three mainland tourists passing by tried to shove their way in to see what we were kan re naoing about.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Atlas Hugged posted:

No.

It should also be pointed out that the special food you're supposed to eat on the hottest day of the year in Korea is dog soup.

This was served by a woman with puppies on her apron.

have you even had dog? How dare you judge.

Its only ok, doesnt have a very unique flavor. I prefer leopard.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
It tastes like turkey

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The "it is [x] month so we must wear seasonal clothes regardless of what the actual temperature is" Asian thing is so annoying. I live in Japan and they do it here too.

It's been like 50 degrees Fahrenheit during the day here, so I walk around in a long sleeve shirt and feel fine. But every other person around me is dressed like we're in a Siberian blizzard. And anyone I interact with absolutely has to comment on my attire to point out that it's December and that means I must be cold.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

The "it is [x] month so we must wear seasonal clothes regardless of what the actual temperature is" Asian thing is so annoying. I live in Japan and they do it here too.

It's been like 50 degrees Fahrenheit during the day here, so I walk around in a long sleeve shirt and feel fine. But every other person around me is dressed like we're in a Siberian blizzard. And anyone I interact with absolutely has to comment on my attire to point out that it's December and that means I must be cold.

tbf I think you're insane. It's 48 at night here in southern california and I miss 70 degree winters

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
why are foreigners so stupid

I just wear shorts and a t-shirt all year round and I feel fine

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
NEVER LISTEN TO THE FOREIGNER. THEY DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CHINA.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

tbf I think you're insane. It's 48 at night here in southern california and I miss 70 degree winters

Where in the gently caress are you from that a 70 degree winter is the norm? Hell?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Where in the gently caress are you from that a 70 degree winter is the norm? Hell?

The tropics, and regions near the equator.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Imperialist Dog posted:

It tastes like turkey

I thought the same thing. The texture and taste was very much like that transition area between white and dark meat.

basic hitler posted:

It was 31 degrees C mid September in Shenyang when I was there (that month was uncharacteristically warm that year), and the streets were full of people dressed up in full-on winter clothing. I'm talking people who are 100% garunteed to be wearing thermal underwear, a pair of thicker thermal underwear overtop, and then their pants. Two undershirts then a sweater, and then a jacket or two overtop, and thick thermal hats, because any day after Sept 1st is officially winter. The bus smelled like a 2 week old communal towel from a sauna, and everyone had sweat running down their faces and looked like they were on the verge of passing out from heat stroke. The previous three days had been cooler, with temperatures dipping down to +22 degrees C, so it was only natural to want to bundle up.

The only people who seem to want to dress according to the weather are little kids who will fight with their parents and try and strip off layers because they don't know tradition yet, and are saying to themselves. . . "why the gently caress are you trying to wrap me in a 36" layer of clothing when the asphalt is starting to melt on the roads?"

Haier: The Worst (Screaming Girl) made me think that you really have no legal recourse should one of your conquests say that you raped or attacked them in your apartment. All they would need to do is accuse you, then they could potentially take you for tens of thousands or try for 100's of thousands of RMB. Have you ever considered how you would defend yourself should this happen? Short of having a video camera recording HD video and sound in every room, or having a Chinese friend always watching your two bang, you are 100% guaranteed to always be on the losing side should one of these damaged women you pick up decide to go to the police.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm at a loss for words.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've been told the "cars are slow, not dangerous" thing a lot but lol at the rest. That's superb.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Haier posted:

I'm at a loss for words.

tell her you aren't impressed; hangzhou has 8 (!) thousand years of wen ming.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

So what's the word on the street in China after the Taiwanese call? Have they changed their opinion of him from "impressive rich white man of fortune and prosperity" to irresponsible China hater

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Blistex posted:

Haier: The Worst (Screaming Girl) made me think that you really have no legal recourse should one of your conquests say that you raped or attacked them in your apartment. All they would need to do is accuse you, then they could potentially take you for tens of thousands or try for 100's of thousands of RMB. Have you ever considered how you would defend yourself should this happen? Short of having a video camera recording HD video and sound in every room, or having a Chinese friend always watching your two bang, you are 100% guaranteed to always be on the losing side should one of these damaged women you pick up decide to go to the police.

That's hovering over our hero every time he tells a new story.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
Everyone here does drive really slowly though. Pulling out onto a major road? Do it at 5mph right in the path of an oncoming vehicle. Need to turn left? Just drive at walking speed in the middle lane and then cut across the front of someone as late as possible without looking, bonus points for slamming on your brakes for no reason. But yeah, I don't think I've ever seen anyone going faster than about 40mph in the city, even on the highways 60mph is about the max. I've seen surprisingly few accidents here, and never any serious ones.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alan Smithee posted:

So what's the word on the street in China after the Taiwanese call? Have they changed their opinion of him from "impressive rich white man of fortune and prosperity" to irresponsible China hater

wouldnt the best thing to do in this situation is tell the media to shut the gently caress up about it and pretend it didnt happen?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've seen surprisingly few accidents here, and never any serious ones.

I see at least one accident per week and have seen at least three obviously fatal ones.

I work at two schools so twice a week the company driver brings me between them. 90% of the time I see at least one accident those days. If I'm out near major roads for more than a couple hours I'll see one. I'm counting ones that have already happened here, I've only seen crashes happen right in front of me five or six times.

As I write this there's a crash right outside my window. The majority of crashes I see are rear end because everyone drives super fast and aggressively, constantly tailgates, and there's no such thing as gradual braking. Everybody just slams them so, welp.

E: There was another rear-ender yesterday too, now that I'm thinking about it. So that's two crashes I've seen this weekend and due to poison air I didn't even leave my apartment.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 4, 2016

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Blast of Confetti posted:

wouldnt the best thing to do in this situation is tell the media to shut the gently caress up about it and pretend it didnt happen?

No because I unironically want the US to rock the boat with the PRC because they're demanding little shits that overplayed their hands on dumb stuff all to protect a terrible system of government that does not favors for its people. Also Taiwan #1

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

C-SPAN Caller posted:

No because I unironically want the US to rock the boat with the PRC because they're demanding little shits that overplayed their hands on dumb stuff all to protect a terrible system of government that does not favors for its people. Also Taiwan #1

yea but im saying from the PRC's point of view? p much any interaction with donald or even talking about him fuels him so a safe bet might be plugging your ears and telling the news not to report any of that poo poo

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Blast of Confetti posted:

That would definitely be the best course of action for the CCP to take. They have already let nationalist 20-something male virgins get a little out of control online, and have had to reel in their boasting/complaints about the Unnamed country to keep things from spilling out onto the streets. Something like this would just fan those flames even more, so I doubt they need or even want the locals to know about this. The problem is that you have a few million Chinese people scouring the internet, looking for any instance of "China" being mentioned, and this is likely to show up pretty quick even though so many western news sites have been blocked. They will go into rage-mode, post about it, and before you know it the CCP censors can't keep up with all the posts and it becomes public knowledge.

Then the rabid nationalists ask, "why have we not put the US in their place yet? Are we not the new world power? Is our military not frightening? Have the tales of our new power/greatness we have been told by Uncle Xi all been lies?"

Then you start losing massive amounts of Face. Like I said before, they already have enough "US hate" circulating around the Chinese internet to keep things chugging along for a while. Adding more instances of "US aggression" to the public knowledge without any means of striking back is just going to reinforce their status as a paper tiger to everyone, which Xi definitely doesn't want since he is trying to paint himself as a "Neo-Mao" strongman type leader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Blistex posted:

I think of this all the time, and I really realized it after that crazy chick left and made me decide on new rules that I will be sticking to until I leave here. It's a dangerous game. The Mongol scared me with her threats when we first met, but she come and goes from my life and I see she's just socially retarded but actually cares about me. Others are more stable. I only really post about the bad experiences. It only takes one though...

I also realized that the reason the worst girl was making such an insane shouting for what seemed like 60 seconds was because I had told her to shut up. She deleted me and I thank my stars for that, because I still had the whole chat log (and now she doesn't, including the location where I live which is like 15km from her) and it showed all the photos she had sent me (many nudes and up-close stuff), so I deleted all of mine and the chat log looks like she was just sending tons of photos to a guy that wasn't having it. In case she wanted to demand something, I can still be like "Hey police, look at her vagina really closely and read all that filthy stuff she was writing to me." I know foreigners have zero anything here, but at least I can face-loss her.
After she left I did some groveling messages to her while pretending I wanted to add her again. She called me names and I acted really sorry and said I felt shy and I have never done this before the first meeting, etc. I don't know if she took the bait, but it may have helped.

If I would get arrested, I guess I am out of luck. I feel like they just want to deport foreigners as soon as possible rather than waste time with us. If possible to leave then I can grab everything I own (it all fits into two suitcases), go to my boss's house for a night, and fly off to Thailand from Hong Kong. At the moment, there's not much keeping me here except my windows of time. If my good friend wasn't leaving India for a while I would be considering going there very soon just because I am already getting tired and that screamer was one more log on the fire of smoke I am inhaling. He won't be back to India for at least 6 months, so I am kinda stuck here or waiting in Thailand (a much nicer, happier, friendlier, cheaper place, LOL).

• Locked thread