Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

CJacobs posted:

Every weapon has a use! It's just that some of them, like the mine thrower, have so few uses comparatively that you should tell the merchant to go shove it up his rear end and instead buy a cool handgun.

I would never tell the merchant to shove anything up his rear end. He is my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

I would never tell the merchant to shove anything up his rear end. He is my friend.

He just wants your money.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Why is it even possible to kill the merchant. What kind of monster would put that in the game.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

He should make everything more expensive each time you kill him

and you should be able to give him treasures to raise his affection + if you max it out he'll replace ashley on the jet ski

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I wish he did more scavenger hunts like the one at the beginning of the game with the pendants, that was fun.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Lurdiak posted:

Why is it even possible to kill the merchant. What kind of monster would put that in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qR1aQtsP6s

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Got some rare things on sale strangah

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Guy Mann posted:

I wish he did more scavenger hunts like the one at the beginning of the game with the pendants, that was fun.

He does have other games though. He has shooting galleries.

Four of them.

That you have to play up to six times each to get the full rewards.

None of which are free guns... but they are at least huge piles of money

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Sinistar laughing. Sonic drowning music. Baby Mario crying. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWVHdKre3T0

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Phantasium posted:

Speaking of unfair dogpiling, I just beat Paper Mario: Color Splash and that game was loving charming from start to finish. It's still going to get people's panties in a twist if they really loved the first two Paper Marios but, well, I didn't so whatever.

I want to like it but the combat just sounds so dull :sigh: The art and story seem very charming.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/riku_maru/status/804992359050022913

Happy Birthday original Playstation! I too remember how the first batch would overheat and cause skipping.

This could be combated by turning it at various angles...for a while anyway.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/GreyTheTick/status/804575968413134848

:yum:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

How can the newest blockbuster from one of videogame's hottest series have such terrible voice acting

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I want to like it but the combat just sounds so dull :sigh: The art and story seem very charming.

The combat's fine, most fights are done in a single round and the challenge is less in trying to tackle any group of enemies, and more into taking them out without wasting your cards (since even from early on you can use more than one per turn) and while simultaneously trying not to give enemies a chance to attack. When given the chance they'll actually do pretty decent damage it's just if you're early on or if you've gotten great at remembering every situational use of your cards you'll coast through a bit of it, but then a lot of later fights were still hectic enough, even with certain thing cards being required for most bosses. I know a lot of people have complained about having to do the thing where you have to paint the cards but you're given enough money to just buy pre-painted cards and with the ability to turn on button controls for the touch screen it takes very little time unless you're overthinking things. I can count on one hand the number of times in the game that I didn't just fully paint the cards I was choosing. I was basically going to ignore the game too based on what I'd heard of the combat but then I watched like the first two videos of TieTuesday's stream of it (the second of which was like 5 god damned hours long) which convinced me to buy it at the next opportunity.

Also the music is fantastic.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
To be fair, the last game I played with prominent Cup Noodle product placement was Binary Domain and that game fuckin' rocked.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The more I play Mordheim: City of the Damned, the more I feel that I should put it down and pick up Battle Brothers, as that has the exact same "small team of soldiers in a terrible world fighting for pay" with heavy emphasis on injuries and being ruthless with who's useful and who isn't, but the combat's faster.

And my god, the combat being slow in this game is frustrating. I was patient at first, but now I'm just... hrm. Hrm.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
PSA: The things I said about Age of Decadence in the last thread were wrong. It is actually an insanely good game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Holy poo poo, they're actually making a new, singleplayer Mechwarrior game. :stare:

Be still, my beating heart.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anyone poo poo talking the Mine Thrower obviously never upgraded it to full when it becomes an 'I win' button. Uh, unless you're trying to use it in close quarters anyway.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Mordja posted:

Holy poo poo, they're actually making a new, singleplayer Mechwarrior game. :stare:

Be still, my beating heart.

What!

ImpAtom posted:

... Uh? What precisely there do you disagree with? Because I'm pretty sure nothing there I said actually is objectionable.

He's just being dumb. Your criticisms are pretty much right on. I'm enjoying the game a lot but it feels very much like they frankenstein'd Nomura's concepts and built a really solid openworld action RPG on top of it. The closest thing that comes to mind is XCX. Different set of problems but it's also an open world action RPG with a mish-mash of really cool stuff and really dumb issues capped by an ending that almost no one is happy with.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

It's by the Shadowrun guys, it was kickstarted, it'll be out in 2017.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Oh I kickstarted that, it does look good. I
thought this was something new like a 3D shooter similar to MW2 or Mercenaries.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

bloodychill posted:

Oh I kickstarted that, it does look good. I
thought this was something new like a 3D shooter similar to MW2 or Mercenaries.

I just googled in case I missed some kind of news and -

This!

quote:

After more than 15 years, MechWarrior is heading back to what the franchise was built on: a dedicated single-player campaign. MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries, a new stand alone title separate from Piranha Games free-to-play multiplayer title, MechWarrior Online, will be based around a story-driven single player narrative driven by player choice.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

StrixNebulosa posted:

I just googled in case I missed some kind of news and -

This!

Yeeeesssss

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz8Y1V8gy1A

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

killing the shopkeeper is the right way to play though

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

"Murder is cool, and my friend" - forums poster oddium

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

For a second there I was worried battletech was being stripped of its tactical elements to become mechwarrior 5 and was real worried, but looking it up it looks like both games are coming out so that's super cool!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

'my 2 favourite things? slavery + wang's kissing parlor' - jay rust 2016

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

"kill all shopkeepers" - speedlunky + low scorer haver oddium

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Help Im Alive posted:

'my 2 favourite things? slavery + wang's kissing parlor' - jay rust 2016

Man, I miss classic Spelunky's graphics. The HD version just looks so... eh.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

It is? :stare:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Yeah. If you kill him he just comes back next time he appears but if you kill him on pro he doesn't come back ever.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Yeah I like the old graphics better too. I think the original soundtrack might have been better as well but I don't really remember (But I guess it doesn't matter since I ended up just listening to podcasts any time I played it)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i replaced the entirety of spelunky hd's soundtrack with donkey kong country music and it was a good move

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just now saw the trailer for Last of Us 2. Holy poo poo! Yay!

My theory is that the Fireflies impregnated Ellie while she was under and that's why she wants to kill them all.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

:yikes:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

oddium posted:

i replaced the entirety of spelunky hd's soundtrack with donkey kong country music and it was a good move

The only better option is the DK 64 soundtrack.

THE MERCHANT'S SHOTGUN CAN FIRE IN SPURTS
IF HE SHOOTS YA
IT'S GONNA HURT

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CJacobs posted:

You are fantastically wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Let me explain why I feel that way then: The blocky pixelated look of the classic version made the game much, much more clear about where the boundaries of tiles and your character lie. It's hard to know where your hitbox is in Spelunky because your guy isn't one tile tall/wide. This leads to situations where you can get hit (or not get hit) by something that still physically touches you. But that problem is solved in the classic game, because your guy's hitbox is as big as they are.

Additionally, the HD version's graphics have all these extra little gubbins that poke out of the tiles and make it a bit harder to see where their corners are. There have been lots of times I've overstepped the edge of a tile because there was a pebble or something poking out that made it look like it went farther. Also, the extra stuff along the ground (trees in the jungle especially) can hide gold and even enemies from your view, which is very bad given how important it is to be aware of your surroundings.

edit: Also, I just like the pixelated look better than the cartoony look, but that's the subjective part.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 4, 2016

• Locked thread