Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I have reached chapter 13! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Pomp posted:

well if they're gonna remove my control of the party they should have kept the gambit system or just let me control the god drat party

Or at least have XB-style "fall back!" command.
(Guess who just fought an optional boss with a very telegraphed AOE that kept killing the computer controlled members of his party?)

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Tae posted:

Anybody that wants a quick look at the versus13->ff15 announcement trailer, how much actually made it in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcUSXub_ypU

Similar to MGS5, several scenes shown in trailers from last year aren't in the game. It's understandable in game development that scenes and story elements are removed because of technical reasons or that they simply don't fit with the rest of the story. However, the story in the final product could less intermission cards and more scenes. They even added scenes from Kingsglaive in a patch to flesh out the story.

Ethiser posted:

They hit the height of world building with the bestiary in FFXII. Every time I play an RPG I hope they have something similar and I am always disappointed.

At a minimum I wish the hunts in this game had a little bit of flavor text to them.

Making the bestiary into a Victorian era guidebook in the English localization was a stroke of genius.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Well, Photography hit 10. I have..zero idea what Self-Timer does.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Terper posted:

I have reached chapter 13! :toot:

When I started it I thought "hey these abilities are pretty cool this isn't going to be as bad as they said" then it just keeps going.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man some of these optional areas are more a test of 'did you bring enough consumables to face tank your way through' than any actual skill, either that or the reason you can get so easily over levelled is because the quest levels mean nothing. Trudging through sewers with no room to manoeuvre is not fun when most of your survivability is based on warping out of danger.
Either that or I'm just terrible at this game.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Only terrible fight for me so far is one hunt quest near the volcano where you have to kill some huge wasps/bees and those fuckers just spam their gas attack move and its super annoying.

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
I'm 4 hours in and on chapter 3, level 15. Quick questions:

• I still don't get the combat system. I know you hold the attack button and depending on the direction of your stick, you perform different attack, but I don't understand what I should be doing. Instead of button mashing it feels like 'hold the stick in any direction you want mashing'. I know the system is probably deeper than that, but for now, I'm just holding attack and pushing forward on the stick because doing anything else doesn't seem to bring any benefits/do anything different.
  • This may be related to the above, but are hunts of your level supposed to be more difficult than regular mobs of your level? I'm level 15 and trying to do the level 15 hunt you get in the first chocobo outpost. There are 9 wolves and my attacks barely do any damage to them. I purchased and equipped the highest weapons I can buy on myself and my bros. I've used Libra and am using the weapon they are weak against. My problem is that I'll start a combo on one, they lose 2% of their health and run away. The rest of the party seem to be focused on their own wolf so I can't focus and single-target the wolves one at a time.
On the other hand, I can easily plow through the magitek soldiers that drop from the airships (I think they were around my level).

Secx fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 4, 2016

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

ImpAtom posted:

I love it. It's one of my favorite FF soundtracks period.

I dunno, for me it's kind of odd -- when the music is actually playing, I find it reasonably enjoyable, but then once I turn the game off I can't remember poo poo about it. Meanwhile I can remember key themes from basically any other FF I've played except XII, even ones I haven't played in years -- even XIII in fact, which I only could stand for about 6 hours.

I feel like it shares a problem with FFXII, in that the OST is too atmospheric for me, and so fades into the background. It lacks the personality and melody-driven catchiness of previous FFs.

Normally Yoko Shimomura's soundtracks are amazing to me, so I'm kind of surprised how this OST is coming off a bit forgettable :(

Megasabin posted:

As someone who digs the combat, can you explain what you feel like an intermediate skill level person should be doing. I'm like 20 hours in, and as far as I can tell there are only 2 ways to deal with large group combat in this game excluding using magic to instant explode the fights.

1. Always be warping in and out of the fight, and getting link attacks whenever you do go in, and then immediately warping out.
2. Holding L1 and countering everything.

That's pretty much the game in my experience too. Fights with a bunch of monsters are just clusterfucks, you can't really see what's going on a lot of the time, and you'll get staggerlocked to death pretty quickly, so warp-striking in and out is the way to go much of the time. Honestly I just try to use magic to skip as many fights as possible because it's getting pretty dull by now.

Megasabin posted:

Neither of the two above options are very exciting ways to play, so I find the combat pretty bad. The game seems like it wants to be kingdom hearts or devil may cry lite, especially with all the effort they put into making tons of subtly different combos, but the game never gives you a good chance to execute any of them unless you are against 1-2 enemies only.

Yeah, I agree with this. On top of that, since the combos are automatic with holding the button down, and the directional inputs to change them up are inexact at best, the combat also feels far less interactive than something like DMC.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Chapter 13 hasn't been nearly as terrible as I was expecting.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I can't wait for the OST to come out for XV. Its got some really nice tunes.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Thank god the secret dungeon has somewhat generous checkpoints otherwise I would have given up way earlier

My favorite songs are the Clegine battle theme and the boss theme used for the Imperial enemies

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 4, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Finally hit a glitch that forced me to load a previous save, since i was frozen and unable to move. Lost six minutes of progress in Chapter 13. I'd been fairly impressed that this game had avoided any really major glitches (and thus far hadn't crashed) but that's a really bad place to have a glitch.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I LOOK AT THE MENU BUT I ALWAYS GET THE BUTTER ONE

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Oh so the pushing the car bit from the intro is actually a mechanic in-game.

That's really, really fun. Thanks.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Steve2911 posted:

Oh so the pushing the car bit from the intro is actually a mechanic in-game.

That's really, really fun. Thanks.

Even if you didn't notice in time to pay the 10 gil to refuel, you can have your car towed to Hammerhead from the Map menu.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Holy poo poo that Gigantoad dungeon loving sucks. Look how goddamn dark this is! This is the middle of the day but they've artificially darkened the area because it's supposed to be in the woods or some poo poo. And this is a hallway where I had a battle with multiple loving flying enemies. Did anyone at Square play this loving game before they released it?

For comparison here's what it looks like as soon as you leave the "dungeon" part of the outdoors.

Also tell me this dude isn't Forest Whitaker.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Love the game. Not far enough in to care about the story because Ch3 = lvl 40. Some fights I realize I just need to be twice mob level to win. How I remember much of my FF game experiences. Also...

https://twitter.com/dfwlly/status/804883071820582913

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Yodzilla posted:

Holy poo poo that Gigantoad dungeon loving sucks. Look how goddamn dark this is! This is the middle of the day but they've artificially darkened the area because it's supposed to be in the woods or some poo poo. And this is a hallway where I had a battle with multiple loving flying enemies. Did anyone at Square play this loving game before they released it?

I'm sorry you trekked through it but you can find Gigantoads outside of the dungeon.

Also that place isn't even the worst for flying enemies, the Rock of whatever on the southwestern part of the continent is.

Also I got way too distracted, finally about to head to Altissa... after hitting level 52 from sidequesting, including finishing all of Cindy and Takka's sidequests, and on the final frog quest (which I can't be bothered to do right now even if the reward is really good).

Do the dog tags sidequests actually lead anywhere?

Tildryn
Mar 18, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

It wasn't anywhere near that dark for me when I went in. I could see fine.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Incidentally, what's the best way to raise Gladiolus' Survival? Is it just foot running everywhere, him picking up items after defeating enemies, or a combination? Because the first is boring but doable with auto-sprint, the second will probably mean me just gonna go beat up a bunch of weak enemies.

It's still less painful than levelling up fishing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

Well, it has terrible gathering mechanics and a bunch of hooks for content that doesn't exist so it's 2/3rds of the way there.

It has amazing music though.

I donno. I can't see how you can say XCX is terrible and FFXV is great unless you're giving FFXV a huge pass you're not extending to XCX. (Except for music, FFXV's music kicks the everliving poo poo out of XCX.)

XCX was also worse because the dev team was capable of making a good game like Xenoblade Chronicles. XCX was worse than their previous game which is all sorts of :psyduck: Someone mentioned that XCX feels like the alpha version of XC which is an apt description.

FF15 gets more slack because it's cobbled together from earlier abandoned versions.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
I am still in Chapter 3.

I found two different tombs off the beaten path; one contained a note basically saying "Suck it losers, smell ya later" and no royal arm. :( The other contained the Shield of the Just. So I guess it's a wash? I use Sword of the Wise and Shield of the Just for the cool, quick warp attack and the stats, respectively, and then reserve the other two slots for a 1H sword and a spell. It's a pretty jack-of-all-trades configuration that makes Noct much, much harder to kill. I like it.

Speaking of killing I somehow have the Ultima Blade, and I'm not 100% sure how or why I acquired it (and I don't want to look it up to stop myself from being spoilered - I must admit to my great shame that I skip most of the posts in this thread and just update because I'm a narcissist). I was upgrading the Engine Blade as normal, then I got the quest to upgrade it again after III (where my Drain Lance stopped for good, apparently), and I immediately forked over some item that was already in my inventory (I think???) and then left him alone to tinker, at which point he gave me his hammer and the Ultima Blade. So... yeah. Chapter 3, Ultima Blade, I guess. (I'm also level 49, but that's largely because of doing every sidequest and Hunt that I can without progressing the story; for reference, I only just unlocked the Armiger power, and haven't returned to the Leville in Lestallum yet.)

I'm starting to wear down a little on the sidequests/hunts - there's just so loving many of them to do - and I'm starting to wonder if FFXV isn't going to promptly railroad me into a very linear progression in the coming chapters. It feels like Chapters 1 and 2 were introductory, and then Chapter 3 is the entire loving game, and then you only progress story missions/Chapters if you want to speed along to the conclusion. I'm basically okay with that, as long as I can return to the overworld and such in either a post-game or a New Game+ that will retain my progress.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

If you think there's to much to do. Do less stuff?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Is it safe to assume quests will take me to points of interest or at least close to them as has been the case with the dungeons I've found or will I miss anything major if I don't just randomly run across the countryside?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Are spears meant to be so much weaker, in terms of their stated power, than other weapons, and does anything like attack speed make up for it? I would have assumed daggers would be the weakest but fastest, but the ones I'm using have a way higher power than my spear. I hope they're not just bad, I like spears. :saddowns:

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Norns posted:

I'm not saying there's too much to do, only that a lot of what you have to do in this game is very tedious. Hunts are generally cool but not always. Sidequesting is largely kinda bad, save for a few cool ones here and there. There are a lot of scavenger-hunt things to do that are mind-numbingly awful - you comb pixels until you get close enough to prompt a button press, and then you catch a frog/give a guy a potion/disarm a bear trap, and then you do that forever and ever Amen. I like to be a completionist so I'm doing it all, and I understand pacing myself, but I'm worried that if I got the loving Ultima Blade in Chapter 3 that the game essentially is going to close off very soon in order to tell its story. If there's no New Game+ or post-game ability to return to Chapter 3's level of freedom (I can go anywhere except the Vesperpool I think) then part of me feels obligated to just stick it out and do the rest, at least until the trophies unlock.

Nina posted:

Is it safe to assume quests will take me to points of interest or at least close to them as has been the case with the dungeons I've found or will I miss anything major if I don't just randomly run across the countryside?

At least two tombs and two dungeons I found strictly by exploring out in kinda the middle of nowhere. I'm not far enough into the game to say you'd never find them on your own, but they seem pretty out-of-the-way.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Spears are more or less the midway between swords and greatswords. Slightly slower, but better range and I think their combo has a sweep to hit multiple enemies.

Daggers are really good though, not gonna lie. They're great for building a lot of tech on a vulnerable enemy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Norns posted:

Goons are really bad at thinking for themselves.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

AlphaKretin posted:

Are spears meant to be so much weaker, in terms of their stated power, than other weapons, and does anything like attack speed make up for it? I would have assumed daggers would be the weakest but fastest, but the ones I'm using have a way higher power than my spear. I hope they're not just bad, I like spears. :saddowns:

Spears are for sick air combos, but I think they have the 2nd longest animation locks after the greatsword. The fully upgraded drain lance is decent.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

I said come in! posted:

Goons are really bad at thinking for themselves.

I just want some trophies man. :(

And also to see how many of the sidequests are the cool ones. Some of them are pretty neat.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I understand chapter 13 now. Look closely back at it, those of you who played it. Look at the last mainline singleplayer FF. Tell me it isn't a big fat FF13 reference from start to finish.

(also, do sidequests and poo poo until you're tired of them, then proceed, you will always be able to go back, no quest is missable, no hunt, no nothing outside of main story situations and areas.)

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

MrLonghair posted:

I understand chapter 13 now. Look closely back at it, those of you who played it. Look at the last mainline singleplayer FF. Tell me it isn't a big fat FF13 reference from start to finish.

It really isn't.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Guy who is level 49 on chapter loving 3 is complaining about game balance and worries he will miss out.

Smh

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
Chapter 13 is poo poo and I hate it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

guts and bolts posted:

I just want some trophies man. :(

And also to see how many of the sidequests are the cool ones. Some of them are pretty neat.

Honestly you just need the trophy for getting... 80 sidequests? And maybe do enough fishing/running/camping for the other trophies. I think there's a hunt trophy too which I can't even be bothered to do.

Also some sidequests are only locked by progressing in the story.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I just completed chapter 13.

That's it? THAT'S what has everyone so incredibly upset??

Well slap me silly and call me Dr Dolittle because I loved it from start to finish

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Terper, I didn't mind Ch13 but it's not great. It's not the worst, I don't think its as bad as people like Imp hype it up to be, but it's tedious.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I really didn't think it was! I genuinely enjoyed it from start to finish! This is no "honeymoon" bullshit, I had fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

guts and bolts posted:

I am still in Chapter 3.

I found two different tombs off the beaten path; one contained a note basically saying "Suck it losers, smell ya later" and no royal arm. :( The other contained the Shield of the Just. So I guess it's a wash? I use Sword of the Wise and Shield of the Just for the cool, quick warp attack and the stats, respectively, and then reserve the other two slots for a 1H sword and a spell. It's a pretty jack-of-all-trades configuration that makes Noct much, much harder to kill. I like it.

Speaking of killing I somehow have the Ultima Blade, and I'm not 100% sure how or why I acquired it (and I don't want to look it up to stop myself from being spoilered - I must admit to my great shame that I skip most of the posts in this thread and just update because I'm a narcissist). I was upgrading the Engine Blade as normal, then I got the quest to upgrade it again after III (where my Drain Lance stopped for good, apparently), and I immediately forked over some item that was already in my inventory (I think???) and then left him alone to tinker, at which point he gave me his hammer and the Ultima Blade. So... yeah. Chapter 3, Ultima Blade, I guess. (I'm also level 49, but that's largely because of doing every sidequest and Hunt that I can without progressing the story; for reference, I only just unlocked the Armiger power, and haven't returned to the Leville in Lestallum yet.)

I'm starting to wear down a little on the sidequests/hunts - there's just so loving many of them to do - and I'm starting to wonder if FFXV isn't going to promptly railroad me into a very linear progression in the coming chapters. It feels like Chapters 1 and 2 were introductory, and then Chapter 3 is the entire loving game, and then you only progress story missions/Chapters if you want to speed along to the conclusion. I'm basically okay with that, as long as I can return to the overworld and such in either a post-game or a New Game+ that will retain my progress.

How do you progress those drat upgrade quests? I'm in Chapter 3, and mine are just stuck at "Do more side quests and check back later". I think I'm up to the 3rd upgrade for the sword and the 2nd for the spear.

• Locked thread