Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I would have preferred a longer fight of Goku and Vegeta having to improvise 'fighting like a gag manga character' more, but what we got was still great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Burkion posted:

What would be funnier

That's who would win

so arale then because of the inevitable fan backlash

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
wait guys

GUYS

THERE IS A MISSED OPPORTUNITY, FROM THIS EPISODE

ONE THAT WOULD MAKE PEOPLE EVEN MORE MAD

ARALE DIDN'T GO SUPER SAIYAN BLUE TOO

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
This episode owned.

Next week's episode is going to own.

It is kinda weird no one is Penguin Village ages but whatever gag manga characters are weird.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Seeing Beerus's first reaction to the food ball makes me wish for a Toriko/Shokugeki/DB crossover where Komatsu and Souma make a mega-ultra-super-delicious God dish, and Beerus then press-gangs everyone into gathering the Dragonballs so he can wish for an infinite amount of the dish.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I hope the baseball episode ends up like the Samurai Champloo one where everyone on both teams end up seriously injured/dead and they never make it past the first inning.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It wasn't the best episode, or the best filler in Super, but it was still pretty good.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

So are we going to go through all the manga genres now?
Gag, sports, food, giant mecha...
What could come next?

im holding hope for a dragon quest episode chrono trigger cameo a plusplusplus

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Crono would be immediately destroyed by Beerus for all of those Time Crimes he did.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sunglasses Rainbow Sword Crono > Beerus

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Hjalmar posted:

Crono would be immediately destroyed by Beerus for all of those Time Crimes he did.

And the rest of the party would have to revive him with the Chrono Trigger again.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

OB_Juan posted:

This will be a fantastic episode of DBSA in the year 2525 when they get to it.

They'll probably make a short in a few days; there's like a few choice ideas like "Do I hear nine" or a call back to the 18 fight.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Rutibex posted:

Arale was cool, but I am more excited for next week and Yamchas Wolf Fang Fist Ball:

Wolf Fang Pitch.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Kuroyama posted:

Seeing Beerus's first reaction to the food ball makes me wish for a Toriko/Shokugeki/DB crossover where Komatsu and Souma make a mega-ultra-super-delicious God dish, and Beerus then press-gangs everyone into gathering the Dragonballs so he can wish for an infinite amount of the dish.

Make it Yakitate!! for those sweet, salty weeaboo tears.

For gently caress's sake, how can anyone take DBZ, of all things, so seriously that they can't enjoy what's acknowledged in the episode as a one-off crossover with a gag comic? Goku sets the tone for the series, and this was 100% his jam.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Radical idea, but they might not enjoy it because humor and enjoyment are subjective things and they may not have found the episode's humor to their taste? Which frankly, I kind of agree with. The episode was okay, but the first half was fairly boring and a lot of the humor for the episode fell flat for me. The only bits I really enjoyed were once Goku started battling Arale while Bulma tried to wake Beerus by using the doctor's machine. And Beerus' stomach problems causing him to immediately leave was the only time I actually laughed in the whole episode. I found the episode more fun than funny, which is an issue I have with a lot of Japanese comedy - including One Punch Man. Which is why I'm glad that One Punch Man and Dragon Ball can be taken as a relatively straight action comedy as well as a giant joke, because it means I can enjoy the fun nature of a lot of the setting, action and characters without needing to buy in the individual gags, since I don't care for most of them. Though I did find the original Dragon Ball more funny, but mostly because of things like Krillin and Jackie Chun's break down of their fight and what not. I do wish there had been more than one scene of Vegeta trying to fight Arale in a non-battle manga way, just to see what else he'd do though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

tsob posted:

Radical idea, but they might not enjoy it because humor and enjoyment are subjective things and they may not have found the episode's humor to their taste? Which frankly, I kind of agree with. The episode was okay, but the first half was fairly boring and a lot of the humor for the episode fell flat for me. The only bits I really enjoyed were once Goku started battling Arale while Bulma tried to wake Beerus by using the doctor's machine. And Beerus' stomach problems causing him to immediately leave was the only time I actually laughed in the whole episode. I found the episode more fun than funny, which is an issue I have with a lot of Japanese comedy - including One Punch Man. Which is why I'm glad that One Punch Man and Dragon Ball can be taken as a relatively straight action comedy as well as a giant joke, because it means I can enjoy the fun nature of a lot of the setting, action and characters without needing to buy in the individual gags, since I don't care for most of them. Though I did find the original Dragon Ball more funny, but mostly because of things like Krillin and Jackie Chun's break down of their fight and what not. I do wish there had been more than one scene of Vegeta trying to fight Arale in a non-battle manga way, just to see what else he'd do though.

On the other hand

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
I hope next episode sets a precedent, and Chanpa every once in a while come with a wacky plan to beat Universe 6.
"This time we chalenge you to a bowling match... ...this time is performatic dance... ...karaoke..."

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

ConanThe3rd posted:

They'll probably make a short in a few days; there's like a few choice ideas like "Do I hear nine" or a call back to the 18 fight.

Trunks is so lucky he never ran into Android 8.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Andrast posted:

On the other hand

The latest episode was deliberately similar in tone to the original Dragon Ball, and it was wonderful.

Did that guy miss the entire Zamasu arc, which was ridiculously dark, full of death, deception, fireballs, and ki swords? Did he expect the entire series to be nonstop ningen genocide and back-and-forth energy beam battles? The Arale episode was a very nice change of pace. :colbert:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Jedah posted:

The latest episode was deliberately similar in tone to the original Dragon Ball, and it was wonderful.

Did that guy miss the entire Zamasu arc, which was ridiculously dark, full of death, deception, fireballs, and ki swords? Did he expect the entire series to be nonstop ningen genocide and back-and-forth energy beam battles? The Arale episode was a very nice change of pace. :colbert:

This guy probably doesn't actually watch Super. :ssh:

Also, there's people declaring DBS has more filler than Naruto because we've had a whole 3 episodes without a new arc starting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

Radical idea, but they might not enjoy it because humor and enjoyment are subjective things and they may not have found the episode's humor to their taste? .

That'd be fine except the vast majority of people complaining are complaining because Vegeta got beat up by a little girl comedy character, not because they didn't like the humor.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I really liked the last episode but I did think it was weird that all the characters basically broke the fourth wall constantly, especially when Vegeta did it and started calling Arale a gag manga character. That WAS weird and a bit out of place in Dragonball

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zzulu posted:

I really liked the last episode but I did think it was weird that all the characters basically broke the fourth wall constantly, especially when Vegeta did it and started calling Arale a gag manga character. That WAS weird and a bit out of place in Dragonball

There are a lot of 4th wall breaking references, especially in the manga and early Dragonball. Master Roshi even makes the gag comic joke before.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

There are a lot of 4th wall breaking references, especially in the manga and early Dragonball. Master Roshi even makes the gag comic joke before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyIehL3P3N0

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Hjalmar posted:

More like he and Whis are chasing around the afterlife asking the equivalent of "All right, who played 'Entity'? OWN UP OR SO HELP ME..."

Because they never did find out what caused the Gates in the first place, after all.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Jedah posted:

Did he expect the entire series to be nonstop ningen genocide and back-and-forth energy beam battles?

That describes almost all of Dragon Ball Z, so yea, probably.

ImpAtom posted:

That'd be fine except the vast majority of people complaining are complaining because Vegeta got beat up by a little girl comedy character, not because they didn't like the humor.

I think there's a distinct possibility they're either immature or just bad at recognizing and expressing their opinions properly, and that they may be placing the majority of blame on one thing they can pick out as explicitly bad when they found the whole not to their taste and weren't sure of why - beyond finding one thing especially galling. Also, a little girl beating up Vegeta is humor. Most people here appeared to have enjoyed that humor - most people elsewhere didn't apparently. Them not liking it doesn't make it not humor however.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 4, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Captain Quack posted:

I hope next episode sets a precedent, and Chanpa every once in a while come with a wacky plan to beat Universe 6.
"This time we chalenge you to a bowling match... ...this time is performatic dance... ...karaoke..."

Monaka is a professional bowler in his off time, has a college degree in the performing arts and has been known to sing like a goddamned angel when drunk.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
But krillin doesnt have a nose

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

I think there's a distinct possibility he's either immature or just bad at recognizing and expressing his opinions properly, and that he may be placing the majority of blame on one thing he can pick out as explicitly bad when he found the whole not to his taste and wasn't sure of why - beyond finding one thing especially galling.

Nah. It's because there is a good segment of Dragonball fans who are only Dragonball Z fans and more explicitly only fans of the dubbed versions of the characters who are honestly kind of different and more serious. (And who probably disliked the Buu Saga the most because it was 'too silly') The problem is that Super isn't really catering to those fans at all, even in the Zamasu arc it was a lot goofier and sillier than they probably wanted. Which is somewhat understandable but also doesn't really acknowledge the fact they have a skewed view of the show.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Toriyama himself said at one point that he can't write Goku without thinking of Granny Goku and English Goku feels like a different person through his voice acting and more serious feeling acting.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sean Schemmel is also very bad and easily the worst aspect of dubbed Dragon Ball.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Toriyama himself said at one point that he can't write Goku without thinking of Granny Goku and English Goku feels like a different person through his voice acting and more serious feeling acting.

DBZ Abridged is the most accurate English Goku.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Vegeta and Goku are way better in the english dub :colbert:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I've basically watched all of dbs and I still vastly prefer the dub voices and can't wait to hear super dubbed.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Funky Valentine posted:

Sean Schemmel is also very bad and easily the worst aspect of dubbed Dragon Ball.

This is as wrong as all those Youtube comments bitching about the latest episode.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I've basically watched all of dbs and I still vastly prefer the dub voices and can't wait to hear super dubbed.

I've finally gotten used to Granny Goku (though all the other Granny Gokus are still a big nono for me), but yeah, I am eagerly awaiting the dub just to get things back to normal.

Kid Goku's new English voice has never sat right with me though, it just doesn't sound right.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Vegeta and Goku are way better in the english dub :colbert:

this is true

granny goku is awful and sounds so out of place even if you don't compare her va to anything else. it's so bad

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

ImpAtom posted:

Nah. It's because there is a good segment of Dragonball fans who are only Dragonball Z fans and more explicitly only fans of the dubbed versions of the characters who are honestly kind of different and more serious. (And who probably disliked the Buu Saga the most because it was 'too silly') The problem is that Super isn't really catering to those fans at all, even in the Zamasu arc it was a lot goofier and sillier than they probably wanted. Which is somewhat understandable but also doesn't really acknowledge the fact they have a skewed view of the show.

This is what I was getting at earlier. I mean, it's fine if it's that the only Dragonball you like, it's just... There's better Serious Business battle mangas out there and also DB taken as a whole is better than just that stuff. But I guess that's just my opinion.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Nozawa isn't great but she sure as hell gets "innocently naive manchild who happens to be a combat god" across better than Schemmel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Manatee Cannon posted:

granny goku is awful and sounds so out of place even if you don't compare her va to anything else. it's so bad

It's interesting to me when I read these criticisms, because I'll always prefer watching the show in Japanese. I'm glad the English dub is popular and that people think the voice actors did a good job, but I grew up with Granny Goku. For me, she's the best, and I thought she did a great job with Goku Black's voice, too.

• Locked thread