Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Breadnought posted:

I need to do some soul searching, but there's a fair chance I'll be joining the Chamonix squad at the end of the class.

Soul-searching is not a prerequisite for joining the Chamonix club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
8x10 paper neg, 16x20 silver gelatin print.

Ariel by Jason, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

McMadCow posted:

8x10 paper neg, 16x20 silver gelatin print.

Ariel by Jason, on Flickr

Wicked!

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

ape
Jul 20, 2009

ape fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 23, 2016

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Rad pigs.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I switched jobs and have been sick off and on so I haven't shot anything in quite some time, but I wanted to say the last few pages have had some good poo poo from all of you. Inspired me to get off my rear end and shoot something, anything, this weekend. I especially like these two:

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Coney Island, back in December.

AK

Coney Island

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 20, 2018

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Karl Barks fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 1, 2016

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Fellers I'm sorry if this is too e/n for the thread.
I had a real bad romantic distress a couple of months ago and] it has entirely sapped all my passion or drive for anything photographic. Moreso than ever before as usuallly these situations are what push me into suffocating myself with photography.. I've been stuck in a static state of just work/sleep/eat repeat. Completely fallen off the wagon and have produced literally zilch in about 2 or so months. I've tried drastically to build up the confidence and motivation to do something but just cannot summon the energy. I've been watching the threads and blogs and going to shows and feeding my appetite for art but not producing anything myself. I don't know what I'm waiting for. Outside of "go out and shoot" I need something else because that's what my IRL friends keep saying but I can't muster the juice. I feel completely hosed. Feel like I'm even losing my eye. Does anyone have some advice you can give me? I'm totally at a loss but I feel the itch, but the instictive urge to scratch it isn't there. Sorry to dump e/n but I just feel worthless atm

sincerely
token e/n guy

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 1, 2016

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Sometimes you just gotta set it aside for a while, it's not a skill that's gonna fade away fast because you're not actively working on it. Just take the time you need and come back to a camera when it calls to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLEXp0JFAcQ

bellows lugosi fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 1, 2016

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Focus on your mental wellbeing and you'll be better prepared to come back strong when you're ready. Sometimes I go a month or two without really taking pictures and it doesn't even require trauma - but when I start again, I feel fresh and the results are always good.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Don't worry about a few months of not taking photographs. I haven't taken any in about the same amount as you (apart from phone shots.) I am writing though. And I even drew a few things. Try that maybe? If you're not up to photography then try something else creative. You have a computer so writing is easy, although I'd recommend pen and paper for a visceral feel. Decent pencils and good drawing paper can be had for less than €15, so try sketching something, listen to a radio documentary or drama while you do it. Even update or create a photography website.

Most creative (and crafty) people I know are most miserable when they're not creating. If something bad happens they stop making things and get even more miserable. But if you're into photography you'll probably like something else creative even if you're totally rubbish at it. Try and indulge that artistic side of you, it'll mostly likely help.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Sludge Tank posted:

I had a real bad romantic distress a couple of months ago and] it has entirely sapped all my passion or drive for anything photographic. Moreso than ever before as usuallly these situations are what push me into suffocating myself with photography.. I've been stuck in a static state of just work/sleep/eat repeat. Completely fallen off the wagon and have produced literally zilch in about 2 or so months. I've tried drastically to build up the confidence and motivation to do something but just cannot summon the energy. I've been watching the threads and blogs and going to shows and feeding my appetite for art but not producing anything myself. I don't know what I'm waiting for. Outside of "go out and shoot" I need something else because that's what my IRL friends keep saying but I can't muster the juice. I feel completely hosed. Feel like I'm even losing my eye. Does anyone have some advice you can give me? I'm totally at a loss but I feel the itch, but the instictive urge to scratch it isn't there. Sorry to dump e/n but I just feel worthless atm

sincerely
token e/n guy

Sorry about the romantic distress.

You sound a little depressed. Take care of yourself (regular sleep schedule, exercise, not eating poo poo) and try to nurse yourself back from the break up. It will happen, it just takes time.

Also, you sound like you're putting a ton of pressure on yourself to shoot and to perform. Maybe don't do that? It sounds like you're just making yourself more upset, which just reinforces your current feelings.

Maybe you could explore some sort of more low impact shooting? You do mostly LF stuff right? Maybe just carry a 35mm around and try to capture what you see, and work back up to the more involved processes.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Sludge Tank posted:

First of all, sorry to hear that. The posters above already gave good life advice, which I think you should follow, so I'm not going to reiterate that, but try something slightly different:

I get that everyone is a little bit different, so please don't take this as 'straight' advice, but see it as me telling you, basically, what I'd do.
When I'm feeling down I usually drag myself out to shoot regardless, I sometimes find that it helps me to process my emotions that way. Walking, even without shooting is great and I think a psychologically important thing that a lot of people don't do enough. Then, again, I'm also a person who will force himself to shoot through slumps and generally won't-- can't put down the camera for more than a couple of consecutive days.

Looking back, I do however find that my emotional state is reflected in the pictures that I took during certain periods- and I find this interesting (looking back, not while I'm feeling poo poo) as this establishes a sort of rhythm and you recognise patterns. I recognise this sounds a bit new-age bullshit; let's pull back a bit.

Maybe, if you're trying to get back into it, try something less "serious" than large format, which I remember you shooting. (And shooting well.) I've been shooting a range of different formats form 6x9 down to 35mm half frame. The latter feels especially therapeutic when I feel stuck in life or stuck shooting MF. It's low cost, grainy pictures of whatever, most cameras don't even offer focus. I don't feel I have to take it as seriously and I can sort of process my life and emotions though it. It also enables me to explore new shooting styles and concepts which has definitely widened my range of 'expression'.

Again, not for everyone but maybe worth a shot.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I've never been as deeply in a rut as sludge describes but when I notice I haven't been out shooting for a month or so I try to give myself some kind of project or constraint to give purpose to the shooting itself. Sometimes I look at other people's photos (I basically only favorite things on flickr for this reason) that I like and think about why I like them and get motivated to produce content, or I tell myself I'm going to put my gear in the car and drive to ____ and try to keep my eyes open for a good shot.

There's no reason to force yourself to shoot or to feel bad about not shooting. The equipment will be there when you're ready to dive back in and in the meantime maybe you could look for a good book to get into, new musical artist, etc.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Hey Sludge, just for a slightly different perspective-
I went through a breakup over the summer, and my life for a while was pretty depressing. I spent a lot of time alone and indoors feeling lovely, with no energy to get out and do anything. The one exception I made was to force myself to keep going with my photography- in fact I even made it a point to schedule more sessions even though I was feeling lovely. The result is that in the second half of this year I've made some of my (I feel like) best work in the last couple of years, and it began only a couple of days after the split wen I was otherwise shut inside and depressed. The work I've done since that time in Mid-July has been chosen for several juried shows and publications.
Successes in another area of life can give you some excitement when something like a breakup throws a dark cloud over everything. Stay strong.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I'm in a constant state of psychological distress. I know what it's like. Definitely get outside. Force yourself.

MF is a pain. Maybe shoot 35mm? It's what I've been doing a lot more of and it's cheap and not as much of an investment - mentally, physically, or financially. For instance, I got out to the Wichita NWR this Black Friday. It was definitely better than spending it scoping Walmart doorbusters with the small town fam, but I drug along the RB67 and carried it up to a couple of peaks (my legs still hurt).

This was my first time shooting Provia, and I blew out the highlights on 8 out of 10 frames. If I hadn't been worried about underexposing the land and just gone with what my incident meter said it would have worked fine, but more to the point, it was a laborious and exacting process when what I was really looking for was a distraction from the stress of the holidays. And when the roll came back, it was pretty disappointing to see my fuckups in full color 6x7 frames.

This one turned out OK though.

I still have a 36exp roll or Portra 160 that I took with my FM. I had more fun with it and I bet there are some better pictures on there, too.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Thanksgiving
Unrelated:

NYC 2016

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 20, 2018

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Posting from work as a respiratory therapist to say sick inhaled corticosteroid in the first pic.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

Posting from work as a respiratory therapist to say sick inhaled corticosteroid in the first pic.

Thanks, it helps with the not breathing good.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Ghosts by Jason, on Flickr

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Sludge Tank posted:

sincerely
token e/n guy

Having no energy and taking no enjoyment from your hobbies are strong symptoms of depression. Obviously im some idiot on a forum, but honestly, go talk to your gp about it.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Thoogsby fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 7, 2016

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Looks preeeeety magenta.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

8th-snype posted:

The lighter fluid trick is really only a stop gap measure on the way to a CLA. The naphtha dissolves the gummed up lubricant which causes the sticking but an unlubricated shutter will eventually fail again,

You can get some graphite powder pretty cheap at the hardware store, lighter fluid cleaning then once it was dry a very small application of graphite fixed the sticky shutter on my Pen EES-2.

e: also sludge I can't add much helpful but I'm sorry to hear you're feeling lovely, having had a pretty bad few months this year I know the feeling. Talk to people is all I can say, it's surprising where support comes from and how much just telling people what's up can help. Hope you are doing better soon.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 6, 2016

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

e: woof

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!

Love that place, assuming it's as captioned, that pizza shaped waterfall in Iceland.

Question for any of you who are more into TLR shooting... which would you search out and consider "affordable"? I've been looking to expand my MF shooting, already own a Mamiya RZ67II but it's huge, so I've been looking towards a Yashica Mat 124 or something along those lines of size and weight, but there are too many models to choose from. Reviews are all over the place, so I'm putting my trust in goons. What TLR would you get and why?

Also please keep sharing your photos, this thread makes me jealous that I can't really afford travel but instead I'm wasting it on a new camera :doh:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

ianskate posted:

Question for any of you who are more into TLR shooting... which would you search out and consider "affordable"? I've been looking to expand my MF shooting, already own a Mamiya RZ67II but it's huge, so I've been looking towards a Yashica Mat 124 or something along those lines of size and weight, but there are too many models to choose from. Reviews are all over the place, so I'm putting my trust in goons. What TLR would you get and why?

The Minolta Autocord is a good option if you're on a budget.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981