Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Terper posted:

I really didn't think it was! I genuinely enjoyed it from start to finish! This is no "honeymoon" bullshit, I had fun.

Can you explain what you thought was well done about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I lied, the secret dungeon is painful

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Terper posted:

I just completed chapter 13.

That's it? THAT'S what has everyone so incredibly upset??

Well slap me silly and call me Dr Dolittle because I loved it from start to finish

Noctis moves so slowly I had to roll constantly throughout it and I had one gamebreaking glitch but it was pretty good otherwise.

But goddamn...(some pretty major spoilers here)I never journeyed back to the past world once I got to the point where I was locked out of it. I stormed Insomnia for the Final Battle with my levels in the high 40's and was geting my rear end utterly handed to me, so I've gone back to the past for the first time to do some sidequests and it's...it's pretty incredible, just how loving differently this game started. This world was bright and fun and everyone was happy and carefree and our biggest arguments were grumbling over long car rides and the sun was shining. This game goes from being so bright and happy and carefree to being so dark and dire and grim, it's a very affecting experience.

I come back to the past and I'm in my Kingly Rainment but we're all young again and I look over at poor Ignis and I can see his eyes again and I felt my heart leap into my throat. As I"ve said before, for all broken storytelling this game has, it manages to suck you into a world and a cast and when bad poo poo happens to them and to it, you feel it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

guts and bolts posted:

I am still in Chapter 3.

I'm starting to wear down a little on the sidequests/hunts - there's just so loving many of them to do - and I'm starting to wonder if FFXV isn't going to promptly railroad me into a very linear progression in the coming chapters. It feels like Chapters 1 and 2 were introductory, and then Chapter 3 is the entire loving game, and then you only progress story missions/Chapters if you want to speed along to the conclusion. I'm basically okay with that, as long as I can return to the overworld and such in either a post-game or a New Game+ that will retain my progress.

The chapter is called "The Open World". I spent quite some time on Chapter 3 but I'm on Chapter 7 and haven't even hit Level 40.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Megasabin posted:

How do you progress those drat upgrade quests? I'm in Chapter 3, and mine are just stuck at "Do more side quests and check back later". I think I'm up to the 3rd upgrade for the sword and the 2nd for the spear.

I made the same mistake because it's yet another loving terrible interface problem this game has. The highlighted "do stuff and check back later" bit of quest description is NOT what you're actually supposed to do. You need to bring whatever ingredient is listed in the paragraph above it to Cid and THEN do the sidequest and wait portion.

The game doesn't notify you if you actually pick up one of the required ingredients that needs to be turned in to Cid. It's dumb and bad.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The chapter is called "The Open World". I spent quite some time on Chapter 3 but I'm on Chapter 7 and haven't even hit Level 40.

Good lord, I was 60 when I fought Titan. I may have spent a little too much time Expericasting magic against drop ship troops though.

e: I love magic, but is there a way to break the damage limit? I dump all 99 of all 3 elements into a flask with an item that gives me quintcasting, but it seems a waste when you can easily hit 9999 each strike on a boss.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

Good lord, I was 60 when I fought Titan. I may have spent a little too much time Expericasting magic against drop ship troops though.

e: I love magic, but is there a way to break the damage limit? I dump all 99 of all 3 elements into a flask with an item that gives me quintcasting, but it seems a waste when you can easily hit 9999 each strike on a boss.

There are catalysts that let you break damage limit.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
333AP lets you Break damage limits for one character at a time. So that's 1332 AP for all four. Then again, the only ones who really need it are Noctis and Gladio.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
All four of my guys 9999 regularly, I'd respec them to drop the limit if I could. Guess I should expcast farm then take the 30k hotel. It'll be worth it. Wanna hit that magical 99.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Yodzilla posted:

I LOOK AT THE MENU BUT I ALWAYS GET THE BUTTER ONE

I wlll pay for DLC of more voice lines if it will get Prompto to stop complaining about the roof when it's already up.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The chapter is called "The Open World".

I love that they actually named the chapter that.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Coeurls on this game are the worst. Nimbly bastards that run at mach speed, deal huge damage, can rest to recover all their HP, and has a Blaster-like attack that has (in my experiences) a high chance of instakilling you.

gently caress Coeurls.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't even encountered a Couerl yet

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

TopHatGenius posted:

Coeurls on this game are the worst. Nimbly bastards that run at mach speed, deal huge damage, can rest to recover all their HP, and has a Blaster-like attack that has (in my experiences) a high chance of instakilling you.

gently caress Coeurls.

I got lucky Ramuh decided to show up when I did the coeurl hunt.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8blANKclFYE&feature=youtu.be

I've had this happen twice now. Spoilers if you're still in chapter 8, I guess.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

DalaranJ posted:

I wlll pay for DLC of more voice lines if it will get Prompto to stop complaining about the roof when it's already up.

I feel like I've already heard everything a dozen times. It's not grating but it's certainly old. I don't need to see Ignis getting an idea for a new recipe ever again. That's just a general problem with Japanese games though, for some reason they loving love interrupting gameplay with popups and all kinds of stupid poo poo.

Also I'd kill for a driving option that "fast travel to the nearest point and auto drive the rest of the way." And who the gently caress thought it was a good idea for the map to show the PATH to a highlighted parking spot and not focus on the spot itself? And why can I only see one quest location on the map at once? drat.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I assumed that Ignis would cover the 10 year gap where he learns to fight blind. Frankly I was sort of hoping all the DLC would cover the 10 year gap because the World of Ruin is infinitely more interesting as a DLC area than whatever the gently caress Gladio was up to.

They really do need an entire World of Ruin DLC. They made this giant landscape full of super cool demon mobs wrecking poo poo and we are forced to literally drive past all that in a truck. I mean, really. I don't know what Gladio could have done that's more interesting than that.

Envgard
Jan 22, 2015
Had an issue with getting sent Xbox Roadtrip dlc codes but got that sorted out and got my PS4 codes. So here are the Xbox ones they sent me which should presumably still work. Enjoy whoever gets em.

Gae Bolg (FFXIV) & Travel Pack:

4QXWY-X3PVM-YK4KC-G7JRW-K779Z

Mage Mashers (FFIX) & Camera Kit:

4Q4WP-KMR4C-79XJH-VVFRT-DGVFZ

Blazefire Saber (FFXIII) & Gourmand Set:

4P7XP-XPWJG-P964C-HWJM9-X36RZ

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What does the Handkerchief accessory do? Not sure whether it's just a joke item or not 'Protects the owner from straining' doesn't tell me much

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Can you explain what you thought was well done about it?

It was nice to have a big, meaty dungeon since everything prior to that had been so fast-paced. The graphics were at their best since they didn't have to do huge landscapes. It was a nice change of pace. I didn't feel it dragged at all.

Also game beaten. :toot: Gonna get to the rest of the dungeons later.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

What does the Handkerchief accessory do? Not sure whether it's just a joke item or not 'Protects the owner from straining' doesn't tell me much

it protects you from some staining so your character stays somewhat clean

having a blast with this game. story is pretty meh, but the overall gameplay is pretty fun, warts and all.

Joey McChrist fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 4, 2016

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Beat the game, and yeah, wow, that story's a loving mess, ain't it?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Joey McChrist posted:

I saw sneakers do the same thing for some reason which is weird because I don't think I've ever seen my character get dirty. This certainly isn't Bloodborne in that respect.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

Beat the game, and yeah, wow, that story's a loving mess, ain't it?

It is ironically probably the mot simple and striaghtforward FF plot since the days of the SNES. Maybe even the NES. That pretty much works in its favor since by focusing on such a barebones plot they didn't really lose much for the cuts, but it's sort of interesting when you think about it. It has almost nothing in the way of significant twists and the ones that do exist are sort of glossed over quickly. It's probably the first FF in ages you could describe in a sentence.

Yodzilla posted:

I saw sneakers do the same thing for some reason which is weird because I don't think I've ever seen my character get dirty. This certainly isn't Bloodborne in that respect.

It'll happen if you get into hectic fights. I had Noctis looking like he rolled through mud for the later half of the game.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Megasabin posted:

How do you progress those drat upgrade quests? I'm in Chapter 3, and mine are just stuck at "Do more side quests and check back later". I think I'm up to the 3rd upgrade for the sword and the 2nd for the spear.

Just have the item Cid needs for the upgrade. Then do the two level 2 hunts at Takka's and sleep. He should call you when you wake up to say it's done.

Calsonic
Apr 13, 2008

Envgard posted:

Had an issue with getting sent Xbox Roadtrip dlc codes but got that sorted out and got my PS4 codes. So here are the Xbox ones they sent me which should presumably still work. Enjoy whoever gets em.

Gae Bolg (FFXIV) & Travel Pack:

4QXWY-X3PVM-YK4KC-G7JRW-K779Z

Mage Mashers (FFIX) & Camera Kit:

4Q4WP-KMR4C-79XJH-VVFRT-DGVFZ

Blazefire Saber (FFXIII) & Gourmand Set:

4P7XP-XPWJG-P964C-HWJM9-X36RZ

Managed to get the Blazefire Saber code. Thank you!

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Vitamin P posted:

So about Ravos my take was that he was never that bad. He tried to take the ring in Lucis because he wanted personal power, enough to free his little country from the Niffs. Then as the Empire becomes more obviously evil and Luna convinces him with her sincerity he decides to help Noctis.

And he does that by becoming chief of the Niff military and then destroying them by making big tactical blunders? I don't know if I'm filling in gaps but that's actually a pretty great narrative. This proud guy sacrificing himself, his reputation, his legacy to help destroy the enemy from within. I like that.

I think this is right, and frankly if they had told this story properly it would have been cool and (Chapter 13 spoiler)when you come across his dead body and severed arm and take your Dad's sword, it would have had a lot more impact. Even without knowing him that well I was still like "drat this sucks for you dude."

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Big chapter 9 boss spoilers Is the Leviathan fight even slightly challenging if you're not 20 levels over the recommended level or is it supposed to be a one-sided beatdown?

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 4, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Joey McChrist posted:

Stupid tiny font game.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Can you only get the ps4 ff15 theme by buying the game on psn? Saw it on youtube and I really liked it.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Hahahaha this car is quite buggy. I just got underway except Gladious never made it back to the car. When it was driving along, then suddenly a can suddenly floated up from the back of the car up to ignis. In some ways, I think hell always be with them.

I'd post a video of it but everything that has to do with playstation software is janky is poo poo and it won't let me upload it to youtube. Also, is there any way to mass-delete the notifications? It boggles the mind to think that they neglected to create a way to clear everything out without going through each individual thing and remove it. Hell, until today I always thought clearing the notification deleted it.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
lol

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Also I'm glad that Nyx got his cameo in the game. :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Hahahaha this car is quite buggy. I just got underway except Gladious never made it back to the car. When it was driving along, then suddenly a can suddenly floated up from the back of the car up to ignis. In some ways, I think hell always be with them.

I'd post a video of it but everything that has to do with playstation software is janky is poo poo and it won't let me upload it to youtube. Also, is there any way to mass-delete the notifications? It boggles the mind to think that they neglected to create a way to clear everything out without going through each individual thing and remove it. Hell, until today I always thought clearing the notification deleted it.

Move over to the notifications hit 'options' and select 'mark all read'

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Terper posted:

It was nice to have a big, meaty dungeon since everything prior to that had been so fast-paced. The graphics were at their best since they didn't have to do huge landscapes. It was a nice change of pace. I didn't feel it dragged at all.

I'm glad you liked it, but I'm just gonna have to disagree on basically all points. It didn't feel big or meaty, it just felt like a bunch of largely empty hallways (and I get why they did that) where you weren't allowed to sprint. The graphics did look nice in the 2 or 3 rooms that weren't just copy/pasted concrete hallways and storerooms. And how it feels is obviously subjective, but it ran two hours for me when the preceding three chapters each took about a half hour even when dragging a blind man through a dungeon. It could be just cause I'm overleveled, but nothing in the chapter really poses a threat either. I wound up firing off the room clearing nuke spell every time there were enemies cause it'd go off before I losing even a quarter of my health. I'd wind up rolling my eyes every time Ardyn taunts noct about how useless he is by himself.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

It is ironically probably the mot simple and striaghtforward FF plot since the days of the SNES. Maybe even the NES. That pretty much works in its favor since by focusing on such a barebones plot they didn't really lose much for the cuts, but it's sort of interesting when you think about it. It has almost nothing in the way of significant twists and the ones that do exist are sort of glossed over quickly. It's probably the first FF in ages you could describe in a sentence.

I wish it was more interesting or spent more time fleshing itself out because I'd be a lot more willing to forgive it if it was even just a bit better.

e: or hell, just make it crazier, if it was like 10% more bonkers that'd be loving great

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Big chapter 9 boss spoilers Is the Leviathan fight even slightly challenging if you're not 20 levels over the recommended level or is it supposed to be a one-sided beatdown?

Nah. To be honest there is like one real boss in the rest of the game from the point you're at. The meaty stuff is in the post-game.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Sakurazuka posted:

Move over to the notifications hit 'options' and select 'mark all read'

No, not that, actually deleting them. Remember, I said that I had previously thought doing that was deleting them.

e: For clarification, I mean like the upload, download, notification etc subcategories

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 4, 2016

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Ignis's cooking is distracting everybody. You don't have to describe things with the adjective meaty guys.

Does Chapter 13 at least have rest points where you can access the dog?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DalaranJ posted:

Ignis's cooking is distracting everybody. You don't have to describe things with the adjective meaty guys.

Ahahahahahaha no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

Not until the very very end of the chapter.

• Locked thread