Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

One of the first electrical tattoo machines in action:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Alhazred posted:

One of the first electrical tattoo machines in action:

That's some awesome old school ink and a great marker of "where the judge can't see them" at the time.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Rutibex posted:

I don't think its a stereotype about poetry in particular, but intellectuals. Writing poems is something city clicker nerds do, not like us simple country folk who just need to bring in the harvest.
Its enough of a stereotype that poetry programs are a rare spot of higher education with greater female enrollment. It also leaves the hair to be split between an educated class that can write history and finds itself doing poetry for fun and a working class who need songwriters as historians up to the point reading and writing hit a critical mass with the working class.

I was tempted to make a joke like "men get a paying job as a song writer instead of writing books of poetry" but have no stats on it beside it seeming like every pop-mill is full of male writers.

I'm legitimately interested in the question though. Someone had to have done a sociology thesis on it right?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

tribbledirigible posted:

That's some awesome old school ink and a great marker of "where the judge can't see them" at the time.

Tattoos weren't always associated with the lower class. King Frederick IX of Denmark for example had several tattoos and weren't afraid of showing them:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I think that was a manhood/"real sailor" thing tho

Like compare the danish Frauenzimmer tattoo register or whatever you can call it:
http://runeberg.org/damtatover/0017.html

In the text, he gets real into how permenantly scarring your body or whatever is a totally insane choice that nobody would even make. not even the king, man, wtf, dont gently caress around with jokes like that

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Powaqoatse posted:

Not really, this illustration for example shows a woman tattooing another woman:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Alhazred posted:

Not really, this illustration for example shows a woman tattooing another woman:

Right, tattoos were so boringly common that a publication sent a dude to draw a picture of it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Alhazred posted:

"Police Gazette" :v:

I guarantee 100% the woman in that pic is a prostitute, and would be interacting with sailors on a regular basis. Not a typical 19th century woman at all.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Yeah, when you see a woodcut or pen/ink drawing from that era of a woman lounging in that position with a low-cut dress, it's showing she's a prostitute without having to caption it 'A Whore'

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rutibex posted:

"Police Gazette" :v:

I guarantee 100% the woman in that pic is a prostitute, and would be interacting with sailors on a regular basis. Not a typical 19th century woman at all.

How about Winston Churchill's mother then? She had a snake tattooed on her wrist:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Bored aristocrat hipsters appropriating lower class culture.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Lady Randolph Churchill lived a pretty risqué life, though.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Amazing woman, she was An American and a Rich American by jove. This allowed her far more social freedom than the British aristocrats she was surrounded with, and my good god did she ever take advantage of this fact.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Alhazred posted:

How about Winston Churchill's mother then? She had a snake tattooed on her wrist:

Churchil's mum & Frederick IX are outliers is what im saying.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Powaqoatse posted:

Churchil's mum & Frederick IX are outliers is what im saying.

Tattoos were a huge fad among the European upper classes in the late 19th century and by ~1890 it had spread to the US. Around 1900 The New York World newspaper estimated that over half of society woman had a tattoo. By 1920 the fad was totally dead and tattooed woman were only seen in circuses.

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 20:25 on Dec 4, 2016

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Because everyone loves weaponry-based fun facts:

Highwaymen and guerillas (particularly during the Russian Revolution) needed a reliable gun that could be used at close quarters, but all they had were old Mosin Nagant rifles, which are nearly 6 feet long. So, in typical Russian engineering fashion, they would cut the stock and most of the barrel off with hacksaws and turn them into pistols. To create a pistol that would fire rifle rounds. Their accuracy could be measured in double-figure feet, fired close enough the muzzle flash would set the target on fire, the recoil was liable to break your wrist, and they were still bolt-action and so, had to be reloaded manually after every shot, but when all you're trying to do is put a good-sized hole in your bourgeoisie of choice, it certainly worked.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Speaking of highwaymen, one of the most famous one was John "Swift Nick" Nevinson. He earned his nickname when he robbed a traveler in Kent. He then hauled rear end and rode to York where he made sure that everyone including the Lord Mayor was aware of him. When he was arrested he was found not guilty because no one believed it was possibly to travel so fast. According to legend it was king James who gave him the nickname.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Highwaymen and guerillas (particularly during the Russian Revolution) needed a reliable gun that could be used at close quarters, but all they had were old Mosin Nagant rifles, which are nearly 6 feet long. So, in typical Russian engineering fashion, they would cut the stock and most of the barrel off with hacksaws and turn them into pistols. To create a pistol that would fire rifle rounds. Their accuracy could be measured in double-figure feet, fired close enough the muzzle flash would set the target on fire, the recoil was liable to break your wrist, and they were still bolt-action and so, had to be reloaded manually after every shot, but when all you're trying to do is put a good-sized hole in your bourgeoisie of choice, it certainly worked.

This reminds me of the knock off pistols made by the communists in China (though that Russia gun is much more bad rear end, like "That Gun" from Fallout):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HNaB7l2GQk

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Their accuracy could be measured in double-figure feet, fired close enough the muzzle flash would set the target on fire, the recoil was liable to break your wrist,

Just to be clear this is all hyperbole and that is a photoshop. They were called Obrez and you can find plenty of pictures of real ones on google.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://youtu.be/C9jScOyH7TM

This guy has iron wrists and must be fireproof too

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I don't think "breaks wrists" is quite the right way to describe it:

https://youtu.be/rQ_cAdufp_E

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Powaqoatse posted:

Like compare the danish Frauenzimmer tattoo register or whatever you can call it:
http://runeberg.org/damtatover/0017.html

In the text, he gets real into how permenantly scarring your body or whatever is a totally insane choice that nobody would even make. not even the king, man, wtf, dont gently caress around with jokes like that

Ye Olde 1891 Anime Schoolgirl Tattoo.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

canyoneer posted:

https://youtu.be/C9jScOyH7TM

This guy has iron wrists and must be fireproof too

What is he made outta, cookie dough?

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

Does anyone have any further stories about women and tattoos? As someone who is a woman with tattoos, I've always been interested in their history - design, acceptability, etc.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Alhazred posted:

Speaking of highwaymen, one of the most famous one was John "Swift Nick" Nevinson. He earned his nickname when he robbed a traveler in Kent. He then hauled rear end and rode to York where he made sure that everyone including the Lord Mayor was aware of him. When he was arrested he was found not guilty because no one believed it was possibly to travel so fast. According to legend it was king James who gave him the nickname.

The ride itself is famous, but I think most people assume it was Dick Turpin who did it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Wheat Loaf posted:

The ride itself is famous, but I think most people assume it was Dick Turpin who did it.

Now him I know all about.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I actually have a question, I see a lot of "heroes" from the past were considered poets or at least wrote poems. I am assuming poetry wasn't always considered feminine or wimpy. When and why did that change to the current stereotypes about poetry? Does anyone know?

Fun fact: the modern system of American fraternities exists because of a disagreement over poetry. The first US frat was (supposedly) broken up into two separate ones when two of it's members got into a long feud over who was the best poet.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well, those people are wrong then: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Nevison

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Until WWII, fabric and clothes were one of the biggest expenses a person had. This is clear from the size of old closets--they aren't made to hold a good many things, unlike today's massive, room-sized sartorial temples.

Pre Industrial Revolution, all cloth was made by hand, on a loom. All the women of a household, even the wealthy and noble ones, were involved in the manufacture of textiles in some capacity. From owing wool-producing animals like sheep or goats or keeping land in flax or cotton, maintaining small manufacturies where people made fabric, to demonstrating her abilities with a needle by embroidering 'samplers' or shifts, princesses and queens were expected to know how to sew by themselves while contributing to a kingdom's textile production. When she was still a princess, Elizabeth I embroidered some pillow covers and other gifts for her father Henry VIII's upcoming marriage to Katherine Parr.

The word 'distaff' is sometimes used to indicate a female line, ie the distaff side of a family. The name comes from a distaff, a spinning tool used to keep fibers tangle-free while pulling the yarn, or thread, out on a spindle. The manual one is usually three feet long, while the one on a spinning wheel is much shorter. It's been a symbol of female power for centuries, prominent in art and mythology.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

To be honest, I learned most of what I know about history from reading nothing but Horrible Histories books when I was in school.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Khazar-khum posted:

Until WWII, fabric and clothes were one of the biggest expenses a person had. This is clear from the size of old closets--they aren't made to hold a good many things, unlike today's massive, room-sized sartorial temples.

Pre Industrial Revolution, all cloth was made by hand, on a loom. All the women of a household, even the wealthy and noble ones, were involved in the manufacture of textiles in some capacity. From owing wool-producing animals like sheep or goats or keeping land in flax or cotton, maintaining small manufacturies where people made fabric, to demonstrating her abilities with a needle by embroidering 'samplers' or shifts, princesses and queens were expected to know how to sew by themselves while contributing to a kingdom's textile production. When she was still a princess, Elizabeth I embroidered some pillow covers and other gifts for her father Henry VIII's upcoming marriage to Katherine Parr.

The word 'distaff' is sometimes used to indicate a female line, ie the distaff side of a family. The name comes from a distaff, a spinning tool used to keep fibers tangle-free while pulling the yarn, or thread, out on a spindle. The manual one is usually three feet long, while the one on a spinning wheel is much shorter. It's been a symbol of female power for centuries, prominent in art and mythology.

Clothing also rarely got thoroughly washed until around the 19th century because of the harsh ingredients used in cleaning, like lye. Dye tended to be easily washed out, hence the faded and dull colors typical of well-worn garments (or completely undyed fabric of peasants). The expense of clothes also meant that only the wealthy could afford multiple outfits for most of history, with the average person having one or two outfits that they used all the time.

Men also got off-the-rack clothes in standard sizes much earlier than women (the early 19th century instead of the turn of the 20th century) because cultural standards in Europe and the United States for men allowed them to wear much simpler outfits, where each individual piece could be bought in a standard "good enough" size and combined. Women were expected to wear carefully tailored and complex outfits until the 1910s and 1920s, so they would simply modify their existing clothes as necessary to fit the fashion of the year.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

We like to ridicule synthetic fabrics now, but they were a miracle back in the '20s and '30s when they first started appearing. Yes, they had and have many properties inferior to natural fibers, but they were cheap and available, and held dyes. Suddenly everyone could have long-lasting, colorful clothing and it marked a significant societal change.

The arrival of polyester, particularly, was significant. Wash-n-wear, permanent pressed, no-iron clothes meant an entire day of a housewife's weekly grind was eliminated. I've seen some articles connecting polyester fabrics with the rise of the Women's Liberation movement, as women suddenly had free time and decided they'd like some more, or even work a job outside the house.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I've heard the same thing attributed to the clothes washer.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Deteriorata posted:

We like to ridicule synthetic fabrics now, but they were a miracle back in the '20s and '30s when they first started appearing. Yes, they had and have many properties inferior to natural fibers, but they were cheap and available, and held dyes. Suddenly everyone could have long-lasting, colorful clothing and it marked a significant societal change.

The arrival of polyester, particularly, was significant. Wash-n-wear, permanent pressed, no-iron clothes meant an entire day of a housewife's weekly grind was eliminated. I've seen some articles connecting polyester fabrics with the rise of the Women's Liberation movement, as women suddenly had free time and decided they'd like some more, or even work a job outside the house.

A lot of the things people denigrate today were regarded as downright miracles when they were new. 1950s American cuisine tends to involve a ton of canned food and later cookbooks extol the virtues of the microwave, as these space age technologies were modern wonders: canned goods were viewed as a healthy, scientific option without the filth of fresh fruits and vegetables straight from the farm and a major time saver (just dump the can in the pot instead of chopping vegetables and adding stock and gravy yourself!).

Today canned goods and microwaves are the quintessential option for poor people who eat lovely food and everyone is flipping their lids about being natural and organic. Ironically, canned and frozen vegetables really do maintain more of the nutrients than fresh ones for most consumers, as the "fresh" vegetables you buy from the grocery store have typically been frozen and sat around for a while during transport from the farms instead of being rapidly preserved. If you're hard up about eating as healthy as possible with fresh vegetables, you'll want to get them as close to the source as possible.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My grandma is 90 and grew up in the north yorkshire farming community. This means they were about 50 years behind city folk, no electricity or indoor plumbing and the like.

Monday was wash day, all the women in the family would go to the matriarchs house and would all wash clothes outside together with one woman running in and out of the house with more hot water and another running to the well and back.
Tuesday was drying and ironing day.
Wednesday was ironing day if it wasn't all done and dry on the Tuesday
Thursday was Market day.
Friday was baking day.
In my grandma's family there were 6 sisters and they all clubbed in to buy a singer (!) sewing machine which was shared.

The women and girls would get an "Easter dress" which included new shoes, white socks, new hat and a ribbon(!) to wear to church at easter, this was the only new (e. best dress, they had simple cotton frocks for every day) dress they got all year, if you were really lucky and were the youngest you got the hand me down Easter dresses (not the ribbons though, never the ribbons). My Grandma was the eldest and 80 years on she still thinks it was unfair.

The men folk would get up with the light, be given a brown paper bag with bread and dripping and a bit of fruit or a slice of pie depending on the season, and if they were really lucky some cheese and would head off out into the fields for a day of horrible backbreaking manual labour.

Children would help the adults as soon as they were able, younger boys might get to go to school so they could learn to read and write and do basic addition and subtraction so they could do the books. Girls were pretty much their mother's apprentices. My great-grandmother who was the matriarch to end all matriarchs reportedly once said "some of my boys could do the reading and all of my children had their own boots" which was an amazing achievement, made even greater by the fact that all of her 8 children have lived to a grand old age apart from a son who stole a village boy's ID to go join the war and was killed.

learnincurve has a new favorite as of 17:00 on Dec 5, 2016

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Deteriorata posted:

I've seen some articles connecting polyester fabrics with the rise of the Women's Liberation movement, as women suddenly had free time and decided they'd like some more, or even work a job outside the house.

Just wanted to add: middle and upper-class women. Working class women always had jobs (although their home could often be their place of work).

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

learnincurve posted:

horrible backbreaking manual labour
As opposed to the horrible, quite literally backbreaking digital labour of office work. :v:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Khazar-khum posted:

This clothe shortage also lead to people wearing zoot suits being attacked because it was seen as unpatriotic to wear that much clothes. Of course, the fact that was primarily african-americans and latin-americans who wore it probably wasn't completely irrelevant,

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

I love Horrible Histories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Alhazred posted:

This clothe shortage also lead to people wearing zoot suits being attacked because it was seen as unpatriotic to wear that much clothes. Of course, the fact that was primarily african-americans and latin-americans who wore it probably wasn't completely irrelevant,

I'd probably argue that the race of the victims in the Zoot Suit Riots was secretly the predominant factor and "They're wasting fabric!" was an excuse to downplay the racism.