Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Capntastic posted:

It absolutely isn't because the first four minutes shows you that there is a literal witch out there up to no-good and then the rest of the movie is people mumbling around and yelling at each other

Lol, looks like I was tricked into watching another paranormal activity movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

eSporks posted:

The VVitch sucked. Primarily for the reason Jay stated, they spoiled the movie in the first act. It also has the worst sound design I have ever heard, and the dad was cast by one of those crazy bass competitions with the cars you can't even sit in.
Colombo is poo poo because they show who did it in the first few minutes!

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Origami Dali posted:

The Witch was great you rubes.

Visually it was good and it did a great job of making really tense moments out of family distrust but holy poo poo it became a loving Looney Tune in the last twenty minutes or so and diffused all of the tension and actual conflict it had spent hours building up in exchange for "witches!!!"

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

a bone to pick posted:

Lol, looks like I was tricked into watching another paranormal activity movie.

But like, what if Satan's actually cool for murdering a bunch of ignorant pesants

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Not until they wear a cape made out of their old Star Wars bedsheets and start making trailer reaction videos.

They already made some but it's okay because it was insincere.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Capntastic posted:

Visually it was good and it did a great job of making really tense moments out of family distrust but holy poo poo it became a loving Looney Tune in the last twenty minutes or so and diffused all of the tension and actual conflict it had spent hours building up in exchange for "witches!!!"
Pretty much this. Its a well made movie that happens to be horribly written.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I like how during that trailer for the greasy strangler, all the glowing reviews were from the Daily Mail, The Guardian, and The Huffington Post.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Instead of a witch they should have had a regular old woman. Like maybe the family finds a lodge in the forest, and that old woman lives in its walls. Now that would be interesting to watch. Witches, on the other hand, do not exist in real life, which makes the whole premise of the film very flawed.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Paladinus posted:

Instead of a witch they should have had a regular old woman. Like maybe the family finds a lodge in the forest, and that old woman lives in its walls. Now that would be interesting to watch. Witches, on the other hand, do not exist in real life, which makes the whole premise of the film very flawed.

counterpoint: they do

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'm a witch. I live in a shed in the woods and cook with squirrel blood.

That's a witch right?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
THE INSIDE

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Witch was great. Suck it haters

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Trunko posted:

counterpoint: they do

*gasp*
:ohdear:

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

a bone to pick posted:

I like how during that trailer for the greasy strangler, all the glowing reviews were from the Daily Mail, The Guardian, and The Huffington Post.
It was funny and cute at times but it overplayed the jokes until it wasn't funny anymore.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Paladinus posted:

Witches, on the other hand, do not exist in real life, which makes the whole premise of the film very flawed.

Everyone loves to diss the Salem Witch Trials but have you been bothered by witches recently? Seems like it was a good thing, I rest my case.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
I liked how they couldn't even pretend to say nice things about max landises new movie

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

dreezy posted:

I liked how they couldn't even pretend to say nice things about max landises new movie

To be fair they didnt say anything bad about it either.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

JB50 posted:

To be fair they didnt say anything bad about it either.

cause he would whine on twitter and when he cums to watch neil breen movies with them.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

dreezy posted:

cause he would whine on twitter and when he cums to watch neil breen movies with them.

:thejoke:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
This Max Landis movie is not that bad.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Isn't Max Landis recieving critical acclaim for that television show based on a book he didn't write?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mordja posted:

Isn't Max Landis recieving critical acclaim for that television show based on a book he didn't write?

It features a quirky Brit. The show was bound to succeed.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Mordja posted:

Everything Max Landis is involved ends up somewhere between mediocre and awful and he has reached the heights of mediocrity with Dirk Gently.

Paladinus posted:

It features a quirky Brit. The show was bound to succeed.

It's Doctor Who if the protagonists weren't as sanctimonious or schlocky.

Dmitri-9 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 4, 2016

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Swiss Army Man was good.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

nooneofconsequence posted:

Swiss Army Man was good.

But was it as good as Captain America Civil War?

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
I have a BEST OF THE WORST suggestion....

Vicious Lips

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0163375/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

It was horrible... sci-fi comedy that seemed to take its music very seriously.... I didnt watch the whole thing but flipped over while watching football. In what I did see it seemed like the most perfect BotW movie ever made.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The fact that they both rolled their eyes and scoffed at Zootopia as another talking animals movie made them look like idiots, that movie was better than 90% of what hollywood shat out this year.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

a bone to pick posted:

The fact that they both rolled their eyes and scoffed at Zootopia as another talking animals movie made them look like idiots, that movie was better than 90% of what hollywood shat out this year.

furry detected.

but I guess I can't argue weather or not it's better than other Hollywood movies since I didn't watch any movies this year.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Zootopia and Moana had the distinction this year of being the first non-pixar non-cars kids movies that didn't make me want to kill myself from annoyance.

Secret life of pets loving sucked though and I hated it.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Finding Dory was awful though and I'm glad they didn't give it any special treatment.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Did they push back the opening of Sing? It seems like they were advertising Pets, Zootopia and Sing at the same time but the studio realized that was too many talking animal movies.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
So comic books + talking animal = Guardians should be the most profitable movie ever

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

a bone to pick posted:

Actually no one should be judged for passing on another talking animal movie.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
"i have seen every talking object/animal film this year aimed at people aged 10 and lower" - an adult

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Inside Out was the best kids film of the last few years and that no talking animals, just talking mental illnesses.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
"thanks to rlm I have not watch a single movie released in 2016"
-me

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Talking animal movies were a solid staple of late 20th century cartoon films, I'm glad they made a comeback.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

priznat posted:

Zootopia and Moana had the distinction this year of being the first non-pixar non-cars kids movies that didn't make me want to kill myself from annoyance.

Secret life of pets loving sucked though and I hated it.
I miss the days when Dreamworks would make good 2D animated films before they went full CGI nonsense

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

achillesforever6 posted:

I miss the days when Dreamworks would make good 2D animated films before they went full CGI nonsense

Their first movie was Antz. They did like three 2d movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

I have a BEST OF THE WORST suggestion....

Vicious Lips

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0163375/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

It was horrible... sci-fi comedy that seemed to take its music very seriously.... I didnt watch the whole thing but flipped over while watching football. In what I did see it seemed like the most perfect BotW movie ever made.

I'll say this about Vicious Lips: The first 20-30 minutes is actually I think a pretty interesting film. If they'd focused on a sci-fi all-girl rock group in space having adventures, it'd be like a live-action 80s anime or even Jem and the Hologram (almost, as JatH wasn't going into space). But the moment they crash on that planet the movie just dies and it never recovers until nearly the end for just a short burst or so. There felt like there was such a better movie with that concept than what we got.

Someone has been working on an Empire Pictures documentary that now that I'm aware of it I'm sort of looking forward to seeing.

• Locked thread