Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Let me explain why I feel that way then: The blocky pixelated look of the classic version made the game much, much more clear about where the boundaries of tiles and your character lie. It's hard to know where your hitbox is in Spelunky because your guy isn't one tile tall/wide. This leads to situations where you can get hit (or not get hit) by something that still physically touches you. But that problem is solved in the classic game, because your guy's hitbox is as big as they are.

Additionally, the HD version's graphics have all these extra little gubbins that poke out of the tiles and make it a bit harder to see where their corners are. There have been lots of times I've overstepped the edge of a tile because there was a pebble or something poking out that made it look like it went farther. Also, the extra stuff along the ground (trees in the jungle especially) can hide gold and even enemies from your view, which is very bad given how important it is to be aware of your surroundings.

edit: Also, I just like the pixelated look better than the cartoony look, but that's the subjective part.

all of what you just said is the subjective part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

so Let It Die is basically a Souls game with 200x the personality and style but also 100x worse combat and fighting. real shame because the game and everything about it is very cool but how the gently caress did they step back and say "yes this combat is perfect, no lock-ons no real counters just roll dodge like a loving moron all day btw your weapons break after 7 seconds"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MinibarMatchman posted:

so Let It Die is basically a Souls game with 200x the personality and style but also 100x worse combat and fighting. real shame because the game and everything about it is very cool but how the gently caress did they step back and say "yes this combat is perfect, no lock-ons no real counters just roll dodge like a loving moron all day btw your weapons break after 7 seconds"
i cant imagine a game having worse combat than dark souls

*brandishes Ys tattoo and backflips out of plane without parachute*

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

i cant imagine a game having worse combat than dark souls

*brandishes Ys tattoo and backflips out of plane without parachute*

yeah somehow they found a way to mess up the simpleton controls and "variety" of DS by having every weapon be made of paper and virtually no sidestep, lock-on for enemies, or way to block except with your fleshy arms (you still take damage.) Also this is F2P so you have to pay to resurrect or whatever so maybe it's easier than Souls? You just have to pay lol

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

MinibarMatchman posted:

If the combat was good and inventory stuff wasn't grindy then how could they make that sweet, sweet IAP money?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CJacobs posted:

Let me explain why I feel that way then: The blocky pixelated look of the classic version made the game much, much more clear about where the boundaries of tiles and your character lie. It's hard to know where your hitbox is in Spelunky because your guy isn't one tile tall/wide. This leads to situations where you can get hit (or not get hit) by something that still physically touches you. But that problem is solved in the classic game, because your guy's hitbox is as big as they are.

Additionally, the HD version's graphics have all these extra little gubbins that poke out of the tiles and make it a bit harder to see where their corners are. There have been lots of times I've overstepped the edge of a tile because there was a pebble or something poking out that made it look like it went farther. Also, the extra stuff along the ground (trees in the jungle especially) can hide gold and even enemies from your view, which is very bad given how important it is to be aware of your surroundings.

edit: Also, I just like the pixelated look better than the cartoony look, but that's the subjective part.
I mean as someone who put dozens of hours into it I understood the boundaries of things pretty quickly, because not understanding them meant death. Could be it's due to your prior experience with the original that messed up your interpretation of them in the new one, I never played it so it was probably easier for me to learn it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I just googled in case I missed some kind of news and -

This!

I've always been more a fan of Armored Core style mobile mechs that can fly all over the place, but I do sometimes like the realistic approach of mechwarrior. And drat that video nails the core Mechwarrior feel. The voiceover is perfect and the animations are slick.

MinibarMatchman posted:

It sounds bad, but its free to play? I may give it a shot then. Dark Sudas51 doesn't sound great but could be entertaining for a bit.

For real souls action, we have the DS3 DLC that's left and then Nioh coming out early next year.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I finished Mega Man 4 and have to agree with the general sentiment that its cool but a very clear step down from 1/2/3. I like the trend of the final boss in the game being 100% gimmicky and defeated by one weapon.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In Training posted:

I like the trend of the final boss in the game being 100% gimmicky and defeated by one weapon.

Making the hologram vulnerable to only Bubble Lead in MM2 was a brilliant and also frustrating "gently caress you."

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

In Training posted:

final boss in the game being 100% gimmicky and defeated by one weapon.
the gimmick of the final boss in 6 7 and 8 is to beat the poo poo out of you and you not be able to hit him in return a lot of the time

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Why are so many indie games about sad dads now

Or was it always like this and I just never noticed

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Captain Invictus posted:

the gimmick of the final boss in 6 7 and 8 is to beat the poo poo out of you and you not be able to hit him in return a lot of the time

gently caress 7 the most. loving hell that was bullshit how they added lasting damage I really hated fighting Wily's final form in that one.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

haveblue posted:

Maybe sad dads are the ones making the games

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

haveblue posted:

Because so many AAA games are about sad dads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEtIXUy9SXI

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Help Im Alive posted:

And playing them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Now that I'm approaching the end f the NES mega mans I'm torn on how to continue, to split each of the series out and approach them separately (eg # series, X and Zero) or to play all the games in order of release, platform be damned.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I choose to believe the recent Dadgame trend started with Nier Gestalt

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Help Im Alive posted:

Loads of Nintendo games since the beginning of the 90's have had sad dads due to more and more of the development teams becoming married salarymen with kids they never get to see instead of young, bright-eyed dudes fresh outta college with the answers to anything in life.
'

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Shindragon posted:

gently caress 7 the most. loving hell that was bullshit how they added lasting damage I really hated fighting Wily's final form in that one.

the fire attack was the loving worst worst worsssssst

In Training posted:

Now that I'm approaching the end f the NES mega mans I'm torn on how to continue, to split each of the series out and approach them separately (eg # series, X and Zero) or to play all the games in order of release, platform be damned.
Play up to MM7, then switch to the X games, then play through to X5(it's fine, it's not the best but it's fine), then switch to the Megaman Zero games, then the Battle Network games, then idk Legends???

Megaman Zero is extremely hard compared to any other megaman games so be prepared for that. It gets really, really bullshit at times. I beat 1 and 2 and the bomb factory in 1 is probably my most hated level in any megaman game(not including X6 or beyond which is a travesty of a game entirely)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You should try to fit Mega Man 9 in somewhere

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Loads of Nintendo games since the beginning of the 90's have had sad dads due to more and more of the development teams becoming married salarymen with kids they never get to see instead of young, bright-eyed dudes fresh outta college with the answers to anything in life.
'

I'm looking forward to the bitter grampa era of video games

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Also if you want your game protagonist to have some depth and a socially acceptable reason to be emotional but still absolutely have to have them be a gruff white dude with short brown hair being a parent is a quick and easy solution.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I will never be tired of sad dads in video games, I do not care how overused they have become in recent years.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In Training posted:

Well they are all quite different series. Even the X games with largely the same format feel way different from original Mega Man so base your decision on whether or not you want to mix it up a bit. Variety is the spice of life and all that. Also don't forget MM9 and 10 because they are Really Good.

At least play MM7 before moving on to X.

Report when you get to the final boss of MM7 :getin:

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm looking forward to the bitter grampa era of video games

They've already got those too, although they usually blend into sad dad territory as well because they might not always be grandparents yet.

But there's Cranky Kong, Mr. Resetti...

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Oh man it must be christmas, a new DLC expansion for TWO WORLDS II in the pipeline!?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/456220/

/swings swords in figure eight

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Any sad mom games?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

haveblue posted:

the 20-somethings making indie games in the 2000s are 30-somethings now

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Oh man it must be christmas, a new DLC expansion for TWO WORLDS II in the pipeline!?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/456220/

/swings swords in figure eight

They announced it a while ago. It's a DLC to celebrate the big engine update, and to set up stuff for Two Worlds 3.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Level Slide posted:

Any sad mom games?

super metroid, other m

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

:eyepop:

A lot of people poo poo on TW and the sequel, I got a fair amount of fun out of them and only some of it was laughing at the jank

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Level Slide posted:

Any sad mom games?

My mom liked Tetris a lot.

Oh wait, do you mean games about sad moms?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Did the PS4 get any games yet? Also why is the PS4 pro so expensive?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

MinibarMatchman posted:

yeah somehow they found a way to mess up the simpleton controls and "variety" of DS by having every weapon be made of paper and virtually no sidestep, lock-on for enemies, or way to block except with your fleshy arms (you still take damage.) Also this is F2P so you have to pay to resurrect or whatever so maybe it's easier than Souls? You just have to pay lol

its a roguelike, dont pay to resurrect, thats cheating

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

In Training posted:

Play up to 6, then play the X series up to 3, then never play another megaman game again because they'll never return to that high water mark :smith:

9 and 10 are pretty good at least, and 7 and Rockman and Bass are okay.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Megaman x4 is excellent, and x5 is okay too.

Megaman zero is an incredibly good platformer but the difficulty is particularly high for a megaman game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I beat 5 in one sitting, I liked it more than 4 and it might be my second favorite behind 3, even though it was pretty easy compared to the others. There were some really inventive levels! I only played 2 levels of 6 so far but it feels like it's gonna be a fairly weak entry already, although things can turn around.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Barret Wallace is a sad dad. Cyan Garamonde is also a sad dad.

The Boss is a sad mom.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Zaphod42 posted:

Play up to 6, then play the X series up to 3, then never play another megaman game again because they'll never return to that high water mark :smith:

9 and 10 are pretty good at least, and 7 and Rockman and Bass are okay.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

You should play all the main series Megaman games. 7, 9, and 10 are all good. 8 is worth seeing. And you should play III, IV, and V on the Game Boy because they're also very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In Training posted:

I beat 5 in one sitting, I liked it more than 4 and it might be my second favorite behind 3, even though it was pretty easy compared to the others. There were some really inventive levels! I only played 2 levels of 6 so far but it feels like it's gonna be a fairly weak entry already, although things can turn around.

My favorite thing about 6 is that it has a canadian robot master

• Locked thread