Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Totally expecting respecs to incur a c-bill or even MC cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

GaistHeidegger posted:

Totally expecting respecs to incur a c-bill or even MC cost.

500 MC per respec. 250 if you have premium.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

If the amount of time it takes me to do what I want with a mech goes up significantly I'm just going to give my account to someone else

Plus side is no more wasting money on modules

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

ZenVulgarity posted:

I want another Armored Core game

Armored Core 2 was good and cool.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Of course the skill system is going to require more xp. They depend on people playing and grinding to bleed them dry.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Artificer posted:

Of course the skill system is going to require more xp. They depend on people playing and grinding to bleed them dry.

What I hope is that they keep the new tree wide but shallow. It is absolutely imperative that a player should be able to quickly bring a mech to full effectiveness for one loadout, nobody likes handicaps, but if you want to unlock every possible loadout to max effectiveness it's okay if it that takes a bit of time investment.

Another option to get the same results would be to have increasing unlock cost based on the number of skills you have already unlocked for that mech. This way the tree could be as deep as they want and they'd still have the same effect - the first tree-path is cheap, alternative tree-paths are gradually more expensive.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

What I hope is that they keep the new tree wide but shallow. It is absolutely imperative that a player should be able to quickly bring a mech to full effectiveness for one loadout, nobody likes handicaps, but if you want to unlock every possible loadout to max effectiveness it's okay if it that takes a bit of time investment.

Another option to get the same results would be to have increasing unlock cost based on the number of skills you have already unlocked for that mech. This way the tree could be as deep as they want and they'd still have the same effect - the first tree-path is cheap, alternative tree-paths are gradually more expensive.

I feel like this is going to end up being Korean MMO levels of grinding.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

NihilCredo posted:

One upshot is that with any luck it might kill needing 3 of the same chassis.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Cyrano4747 posted:

One upshot is that with any luck it might kill needing 3 of the same chassis.

It's confirmed that requiring 3 mechs to master something is out.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zebulon posted:

To be replaced with requiring six.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Zebulon posted:

Well that's a good positive at least. especially when it comes to clan mechs thanks to omnipods.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
people are also gonna get a huge injection of XP and cash when they make that live due to years of accumulated stuff getting refunded

I'm interested to see if this makes formerly-bad chassis suddenly viable? like could you recreate the old-school Dragon with these?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pattonesque posted:

people are also gonna get a huge injection of XP and cash when they make that live due to years of accumulated stuff getting refunded

I'm interested to see if this makes formerly-bad chassis suddenly viable? like could you recreate the old-school Dragon with these?

There is no way to make the Dragon a viable chassis. It doesn't have good hardpoints and the CT on it is just loving massive.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Dragon was viable when it weighed 100t and knockdowns were still in :v:

...if you made it through all the ctd, 4fps, yellowscreen, rainbow hud, infinite weapon lists etc that is

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
The -1N was a beast when it had those crazy AC/5 cooldowns

although if you could simply replicate those cooldowns on something like a shadow hawk then idk

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I know those aren't the numbers that are likely staying in the game, but lol all of those weapon skill trees just add up to what a module used to be. Spending three minutes hunting down a module you lost and swapping it into a new mech is going to be replaced with grinding out experience for each individual variant. I really, really hope those aren't the final numbers, because they would imply that to fill in one of those skill bubbles you would need 10,000 experience on the mech. A fully mastered mech under the current skill system would be able to fill in five bubbles with those numbers with its experience refunded. Filling out 75 skill bubbles on that tree would take 750,000 experience on the chassis, and it looks like getting it to that point on most chassis would bring them slightly below their current performance with skill tree + modules + quirks.

Mechs that boat single weapon systems are going to become really good because they'll be able to spend less skill points on making all their weapons shoot faster and more on utility things like radar derp, seismic, armor, structure, speed, and mobility. Mechs that take a spread of weapons are going to become even worse than they already are.

If quirks were used to balance things out, the mechs that didn't have any quirks because they functioned well enough as a base model are going to become better on the merit of being nerfed less. Gonna have fun running around in a -10% missile spread +10% missile velocity Archer 5W with all the utility and survivability quirks.

RIP the awesome even more, though. That thing is hopeless without the quirks turning it into a 110 tonner with 2x the weapons it has.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 4, 2016

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I do believe that 2018 release date is set in stone because that's when their license expires/goes up for renewal.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I know your right EoRaptor, just having a moment before the crushing reality of the shitlords who somehow keep making money off of idiots managed to get this license.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

ZenVulgarity posted:

I want another Armored Core game

This. Those games were awesome and FROM is capable.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
One benefit to this new mech experience system: No more having to basic x3 or elite x3 (the first time around) a chassis to unlock the higher tier skills.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

With those screenshots they have every single skill pip costing 10,000 experience. In the current system getting a mech to full basic is about 14,000 experience, and eliting them is an additional 21,500. For the experience cost of one level five module equivalent in pips you will need 50,000 mech experience, which is more than fully mastering a chassis. To get full cool run and heat containment you need to fill in 15 pips, which would be 150,000 experience. Getting the movement stuff in addition to that is 200,000 more experience.

I would much rather play a mediocre or bad mech for 14,000 experience than grind a good one for 750,000 experience to make it reach barely par with how good they currently are. :v:

The upside is that things like the atlas will get +18 armor and +20 ct structure if "armor hardening" and "skeletal density" are just % increases to armor and structure.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 4, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
A brave new world without radar deprivation modules will be interesting.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Sorry, one of the "skills" in that skill tree was Radar Dep, which had been broken up into small chunks ofc. Now every single mech will have it!~

On the plus side, my Awesomes with 700k XP on them are going to kick rear end now!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ZenVulgarity posted:

If the amount of time it takes me to do what I want with a mech goes up significantly I'm just going to give my account to someone else

Plus side is no more wasting money on modules

I never saw the sense in modules, to be honest. Never used, never suffered because of them used against me. I'm not even entirely sure what "modules" exist in MWO, since I willed myself to completely ignore that part of the game. If they go away, literally nothing will change for me!

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

Libluini posted:

I never saw the sense in modules, to be honest. Never used, never suffered because of them used against me.

you can ignore radar dep, target decay, and seismic as much as you like - I do the same with consumables - but saying this is stupid.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

seismic really doesn't belong in the game and i want it gone

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

yaay posted:

you can ignore radar dep, target decay, and seismic as much as you like - I do the same with consumables - but saying this is stupid.

What, why? I prefer to be honest about my ignorance.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Libluini posted:

I never saw the sense in modules, to be honest. Never used, never suffered because of them used against me. I'm not even entirely sure what "modules" exist in MWO, since I willed myself to completely ignore that part of the game. If they go away, literally nothing will change for me!

You absolutely did suffer because of module-equipped opponents, you just didn't realise it.

Radar derp and Advanced Target Decay make a huge difference when dodging or shooting LRMs, respectively. Also for ridgeline tactics in general, but that might matter less in tier 4 than the LRM thing.

Adv. Seismic Sensor is extremely powerful for any close- or medium-range mech. At the very least, it lets you save up your UAVs.

As for weapon modules, if any of your mechs have a +20% or greater cooldown quirk, adding another +12.5% on top of it makes a very noticeable difference (Locust-1V is the single most hilarious example). Range modules on SRMs are very strong too.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 4, 2016

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I always viewed the modules as crutches and never used them. Them going is not going to affect me a single iota, but the people used to using them are probably going to need a small time of adjustment.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Skoll posted:

I always viewed the modules as crutches and never used them. Them going is not going to affect me a single iota, but the people used to using them are probably going to need a small time of adjustment.

I thought the same about XL engine builds on lights then I used them and everything got dramatically easier.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Libluini posted:

What, why? I prefer to be honest about my ignorance.

I guarantee you've been killed at least once due to someone with seismic picking up your approach and training their reticle exactly where you'd be coming out at.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jack2142 posted:

I thought the same about XL engine builds on lights then I used them and everything got dramatically easier.

Don't really see how that's even comparable, especially when you consider it's smarter than not to run an XL on lights.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Skoll posted:

Hell, this probably means less death and more kills for me! Especially after my sorry rear end finally gets booted down to tier 5! :v:

Oh Snapple! posted:

I guarantee you've been killed at least once due to someone with seismic picking up your approach and training their reticle exactly where you'd be coming out at.

Luckily I'm the worst player ever, so the outcome would have been the same anyway. One of the reasons modules never bothered me: Depending on perspective, they're either pearls before swine (when I use them) or total overkill (when used against me). To kill me you just need to have at least monkey-level intelligence, the reflexes of a sand dune and be awake.

(Also it's really funny that there are 8 mentaloids who still somehow died to someone who can barely move his mech around -when I switched from joystick to mouse because I needed my dying stick for my space sims, I forgot for like 3 months to rebind targeting to a key I could actually remember. So I played without being able to target anything for months and even made 1-2 kills this way. Imagine dying to someone who can't even target your mech.)

The idea that someone spends real money on items to kill someone who can be killed by your pet chained to your keyboard makes me chuckle every time.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

imo the two most important modules to use were radar dep and seismic. With seismic you could tell which way people are facing by the way they're moving, how many people are around the corner you're going to (or not) be rounding, and as an assault you could occasionally stop moving to see if there were any lights lurking around behind you to deny them the element of surprise which is incredibly important to their success.

Radar dep made it so that you could afford to peek while away from LRM cover with LRM boats present, and would also help make it easier to relocate while playing the peek and poke game because once you're out of sight they have no idea where you're going to pop up like a whack-a-mole next.

Luckily if you're only using a single weapon system ie pulse lasers, lasers, acs, uacs, ppcs, etc. then you can max out that one weapon system's tree, and then grab all of the structure/armor skills, all of the mobility, all of cool run/hot run, and get 3/5 of the radar dep pips and both of the seismic pips. Single weapon boats are gaining a huge advantage while people with bracket builds or a variety of weapons are losing out massively.

My SRM archer would have +12.5% velocity, +12.5% cooldown (which is the same as it would from the module), +12.5% spread, and +12.5% range (same module deal.) It normally doesn't get velocity or spread, which are pretty drat useful for an srm boat. With the armor quirks it will be getting an additional 6 armor on the center torso from where it is already quirked. I think it's one of the mechs that will gain usability compared to others that are getting nerfed from quirk loss. :getin:

Commoners fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 4, 2016

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

You should probably not look at the tree shown as an example of the final system. Each variant will have its own set of skill trees available instead of one generic one for all mechs. For example, mechs will only have unlockables for the weapon hardpoints they have.

It was there so you can see all the tunables that could be available.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Number19 posted:

You should probably not look at the tree shown as an example of the final system. Each variant will have its own set of skill trees available instead of one generic one for all mechs.

It was there so you can see all the tunables that could be available.

This is important information for that! It's nice that you get to essentially pick your own quirks for how you want to play a mech which gives some end game variety, but all it looks like now is that you have to grind to unlock quirks instead of a chassis getting a baseline of competency that can then get topped off with a few modules and skills.

Are they going to be tuning the experience cost per pip down, or is 10,000 the current :wtf: that it's going to be sitting at?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Libluini posted:

Hell, this probably means less death and more kills for me! Especially after my sorry rear end finally gets booted down to tier 5! :v:

Luckily I'm the worst player ever, so the outcome would have been the same anyway. One of the reasons modules never bothered me: Depending on perspective, they're either pearls before swine (when I use them) or total overkill (when used against me). To kill me you just need to have at least monkey-level intelligence, the reflexes of a sand dune and be awake.

(Also it's really funny that there are 8 mentaloids who still somehow died to someone who can barely move his mech around -when I switched from joystick to mouse because I needed my dying stick for my space sims, I forgot for like 3 months to rebind targeting to a key I could actually remember. So I played without being able to target anything for months and even made 1-2 kills this way. Imagine dying to someone who can't even target your mech.)

The idea that someone spends real money on items to kill someone who can be killed by your pet chained to your keyboard makes me chuckle every time.

I doubt anyone spent real money on modules. They cost c-bills, which aren't exactly hard to grind.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

I doubt anyone spent real money on modules. They cost c-bills, which aren't exactly hard to grind.

You would be surprised. These are the same people who bought a skin for $500 DOLLARS

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Also if it takes 500k exp to max a mech or whatever it will suck but really it will only disadvantage casual players. gently caress, my KDK-3 has something like 450k sitting on it post-mastery alone, and I'm not exactly a MWO poop socker.

This is probably a bad thing for growing the game but lol at the thought that :pgi: really gives a poo poo about that any more

edit: ^^^ you know, academically I know they have, but I've never seen one in the wild. I've been playing since ~oct 2015 or so, so I'm guessing that most people dropped that money in the beginning to support somethign they thought would be awesome and have long since moved on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

What the gently caress? Who plays a single mech THAT much?

• Locked thread