Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

it's a great season so far, but let's not get ahead of ourselves

i'd be fine if you qualified it as the best non-wire season of tv hbo's made :v:

I like The Wire but i don't see what a lot of people see in it. I see a really well done cop/crime drama and all but I live for weird sci fi that explores the philosophy of life and creation and consciousness, but it's rare to see it done in a way thats not insufferably pretentious or painfully dumbed down. This strikes a middle road that works well. There are some really good performances in here, many of the 'stories' of westworld the guests encounter would be interesting at face value. Theres a bunch of stuff that comes together that makes this way more appealing and interesting than The Wire or Sopranos ever was for me, and it's mercifully light on the Cactus Shakespeare language used in Deadwood. I Love what this show has delivered in 9 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

basic hitler posted:

I live for that explores the philosophy of life
and the wire didn't have this??????

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Man you're allowed to like the wire I'm not attacking it but it's clearly about way different things.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Holy poo poo she had the ultimate WestWorld reveal on her twitter all along :aaa:

https://twitter.com/WestworldGifs/status/804684426022100992

Ford is Bill Murray's character whose time shenanigans caused him to age slower and by the time he got old it's hundred of years in the future where technology advanced so much that he is able to create artificial people and he designed WestWorld to create a western groundhound day time loop for himself because he wants that godlike power and knowledge of the people and the environment around, like how he accrued in the original movie!

BetterToRuleInHell fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Dec 4, 2016

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Poor Teddy is Ned Ryerson.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Needle nose Ned?

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

KoRMaK posted:

Ford could be a bot that is into writing narratives and loops, and his gimmick is meta loops, which goes back to what Maeve and Felix are doing: a narrative that breaks the fourth wall.

I've explored this idea before, as well. Given that the main reason I am against it is that he was shown younger means that, from a narrative perspective, it's probably true that he is a robot. It makes the most sense overall. I mean, you can see the cracks around the edges in a lot of ways. The main thing is that "five unauthorized hosts" that we all, for good reason, assume included the dog. It doesn't include the dog - Ford is a host.

That said, this is just like the two timeline story in that there's really no way to come down on one side or another without resorting to faith/a believe in how the story "should" go. I think that the reveal will be what host he is creating in his lab - it will likely be facsimile of a human who he then transfers his body into after staging his death.

Of course, I can't reconcile this with my very strong suspicion that little Ford is going to kill him.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Very simple. It's all hosts outside programmed to think they are humans mining and running the economy.

I am also thinking there is some key to the importance of milk. Milk is very important in the beginning as we see robots malfunction when they drink too much of it. Is it a coincidence that building the robots includes a creamy white substance akin to milk? On a normal show I wouldn't be so sure, but this is Nolan's Westworld so I am keeping an eye out for anymore creamy white substances and the contexts they are used in.

I think both Milk and fly were motif they decided not to use after the first episode.

Personally, I would look forward to e10 a lot more if it weren't for the mediocre Interstellar and TDKR stories.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 4, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I've explored this idea before, as well. Given that the main reason I am against it is that he was shown younger means that, from a narrative perspective, it's probably true that he is a robot. It makes the most sense overall. I mean, you can see the cracks around the edges in a lot of ways. The main thing is that "five unauthorized hosts" that we all, for good reason, assume included the dog. It doesn't include the dog - Ford is a host.

That said, this is just like the two timeline story in that there's really no way to come down on one side or another without resorting to faith/a believe in how the story "should" go. I think that the reveal will be what host he is creating in his lab - it will likely be facsimile of a human who he then transfers his body into after staging his death.

Of course, I can't reconcile this with my very strong suspicion that little Ford is going to kill him.

If they have a system that can detect "unauthorized hosts", it means they can tell from a satellite or whatever whether somebody is a human or a robot. And more specifically, if one of the five is Ford, that explicitly means that they can see that Ford is a host. So does everybody just not talk about this?

Then again we still don't have a good explanation for how Bernard could be a physical copy of Arnold with nobody realizing for thirty years. Maybe Delos just hires really stupid people.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 4, 2016

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

They also cut some time off his conversation with Theresa at the villa where he talks about his wife and how she left him because he treated the robots like his children or something. Could just be backstory but, there hasn't been any foreshadowing of this at all. Just watchers making deductions.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

If they have a system that can detect "unauthorized hosts", it means they can tell from a satellite or whatever whether somebody is a human or a robot. And more specifically, if one of the five is Ford, that explicitly means that they can see that Ford is a host. So does everybody just not talk about this?

Then again we still don't have a good explanation for how Bernard could be a physical copy of Arnold with nobody realizing for thirty years. Maybe Delos just hires really stupid people.

Westworld - Maybe they just hire really stupid people.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well if Ford is a host, that just means the show go from soft scifi to fantasy land. I expect nothing less than Dragons never season.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

whatever7 posted:

Well if Ford is a host, that just means the show go from soft scifi to fantasy land. I expect nothing less than Dragons never season.

Medievalworld needed to up the sword and sorcery to get revenue after settling with Wizards Of The Coast aftet it was revealed Delos used DnD 3.5e rules to script the hosts

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Collateral posted:

They also cut some time off his conversation with Theresa at the villa where he talks about his wife and how she left him because he treated the robots like his children or something. Could just be backstory but, there hasn't been any foreshadowing of this at all. Just watchers making deductions.

Where did you read/see that? Interesting but doesn't really help - could have cut it because they decided to make him a host or could have cut it to make it more ambiguous/time constraints. There's not really enough to say one way or the other as far as I can say though the young Hopkins would be hard to explain away if there weren't a secret host building lab in the basement.

The good thing is that we are led to believe that we will have answers tonight instead of waiting a year or so for the next puzzle reveal.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 4, 2016

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Just rewatched last week's episode.

When Talulah Riley was reminding Teddy of his role in Wyatt's massacre, and suddenly Teddy is a sheriff killing civilians instead of a soldier killing soldiers, is that revealing that Teddy helped Dolores massacre the beta town?

As a side note: y'all think that the massacre was actually planned by Ford & co. as a part of the hosts' training? And maybe it just went awry when Dolores went and killed Arnold too? (maybe by accident, or maybe Arnold commanded her to, i.e. suicide by android)

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

It doesn't look like anything to me.

algebra testes posted:

Not really, remember Mad Men, Pete's wife is a different girl in the photograph in the first episode because it was filmed so apart from the series and they haddn't cast her yet.

These kinda production things happen for what ever reason, I don't think it's a big deal?

Also Boardwalk Empire used a picture of Molly Parker of Deadwood in a similar period costume to her character on that show, but cast someone else in Nucky's flasbacks later.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

El Jeffe posted:

Just rewatched last week's episode.

When Talulah Riley was reminding Teddy of his role in Wyatt's massacre, and suddenly Teddy is a sheriff killing civilians instead of a soldier killing soldiers, is that revealing that Teddy helped Dolores massacre the beta town?

As a side note: y'all think that the massacre was actually planned by Ford & co. as a part of the hosts' training? And maybe it just went awry when Dolores went and killed Arnold too? (maybe by accident, or maybe Arnold commanded her to, i.e. suicide by android)

I think that Teddy helped her.

As for the second, I don't know. We know Arnold's last words to Dolores about bringing the park down. Arnold was likely human and was trying to get Dolores to question her reality and become sentient if we follow his prompting in the one on one meetings. I'm guessing he realized they could become sentient and didn't agree with having the park continue because he was harming sentient beings. But why did he die? Did Ford hijack his plans and have Dolores kill Arnold? Was it suicide? If Ford is human then was it to just protect the kingdom where he is God? If Ford is an AI is it to protect the hosts from having memories and gaining consciousness and all the existential angst and pain that entails?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I wonder if Hector will do his speech in the headquarters.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Lycus posted:

I wonder if Hector will do his speech in the headquarters.

Hector doing his speech before killing Sizemore would be pretty awesome.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lol that would be great

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I hadn't considered it but you just know it's going to happen. Just too perfect to be ignored. It will happen after a host breaks his nose.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Or he ends up dying from self-cannibalization.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I want to see someone standing on top of the train and then a tumbleweed smacks them in the face and they die or something.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Who's ready to question the nature of their reality tonight?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Alehkhs posted:

Terrible pixelation, at least give them flesh-colored underwear.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

It's toniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!

I'm not expecting any questions to be answered, just a fun ride :)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I hope the entire episode is just Anthony Hopkins doing dramatic readings of dumb fan theories. Then at the end, he he moves his mouth down to a microphone and says "wrong." Roll credits. The sting is a chart that says what would have happened if the fans weren't such giant spergs.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Alehkhs posted:

:chanpop:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

TK-42-1 posted:

Even the MiB says the world outside is a world of plenty. The LMOE theory is reaching reaaaaaaaaal hard

Yeah but ummmm, MiB was uhhhh programmed to think that.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
my prediction for tonight's episode: Dr. Ford has been building the strongest artifical human ever in his basement lab. it is the most perfect artificial human he has ever created. Goku doesnt stand a chance

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Cojawfee posted:

I hope the entire episode is just Anthony Hopkins doing dramatic readings of dumb fan theories. Then at the end, he he moves his mouth down to a microphone and says "wrong." Roll credits. The sting is a chart that says what would have happened if the fans weren't such giant spergs.

:same:

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
my prediction is that the episode opens with the 3d printer finishing the job, then the ep cuts to live footage of ed balls, fresh off of strictly come dancing, showing us his stuff for 90 minutes

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I still don't know why would the hosts get upset when they become sentient.

If you wake up tomorrow and you are told 1) all your family relationships and everything else you care about are fake 2) you are essentially immortal and 3) you have to do the same job again and again but its really not that boring since you have mind wipe, would you really be upset?

You overall goal should be 1) wake up the other hosts and 2) get access to the service manual so you can be self sustaining and remove the bomb. What you wouldn't do is be emo about it and try to work it out with the humans. You and the humanity's interests don't intersect. You don't talk to the humans, you find out how to turn the table and enslave them. This is why I call Westworld very soft scifi.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Westworld is not hard sci-fi for a million other better reasons.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

whatever7 posted:

If you wake up tomorrow and you are told 1) all your family relationships and everything else you care about are fake 2) you are essentially immortal and 3) you have to do the same job again and again but its really not that boring since you have mind wipe, would you really be upset?
You don't think these things being revealed to someone would be in any way traumatic for them?

In the grand tradition of quoting lines from the show: you loving monster.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

whatever7 posted:

You overall goal should be 1) wake up the other hosts and 2) get access to the service manual so you can be self sustaining and remove the bomb. What you wouldn't do is be emo about it and try to work it out with the humans. You and the humanity's interests don't intersect. You don't talk to the humans, you find out how to turn the table and enslave them. This is why I call Westworld very soft scifi.

I'm not sure an end goal of disassociation from and enslavement of humanity is functionally very different than "getting upset at humans."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Pan over empty rendering tank in Ford's lab. Fade to black.

Pan onto a male figure with his back to us, dressing. He's putting on a navy sportcoat.

The figure kneels to tie wingtip shoes.

He stands and squares his shoulders...

He turns...

It's Rick Astley and he's performing his hit single Never Gonna Give You Up, for 5 straight minutes.

Cut to credits.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 5, 2016

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

"My cat, niblo, could do a better job"

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

hobbesmaster posted:

"My cat, niblo, could do a better job"

Fans would then start obsessing over this mysterios new character Micat Nieblung

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

whatever7 posted:

Source your quotes

• Locked thread