Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Moola posted:

Citadel is really cool and good if you're cable of enjoying things and having fun

look at this filthy casual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I used to know someone who got hired at CD Projekt. I didn't talk to them much after that, but they only ever had nice things to say about it, which leads me to believe that CD Projekt is some kind of hosed up cult because there's no way.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dan Didio posted:

I used to know someone who got hired at CD Projekt. I didn't talk to them much after that, but they only ever had nice things to say about it, which leads me to believe that CD Projekt is some kind of hosed up cult because there's no way.

You hear horror stories about most Eastern European dev environments, but I've never heard anything particularly bad about CDPR. The fact that they do quality, quality work and have an amazing rep probably helps too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Their crunch time is supposedly particularly exhausting.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
CF Projekt also owns GOG.com which gives them (if I'm not mistaken) a pretty significant source of income which can go into making cool poo poo

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm gonna say that "selling for Western prices while having non-Western working conditions" is a complete bogus explanation. It's immediately recognizable as dumb simply because if you think it through then that would mean any studio based in Poland, or China, or Brazil, or whatever shithole would have the same advantage. The poor Western game development market would be put out of my business by legions of sold-for-$60-but-made-for-peanuts titles flooding in from the 3rd world.

And yet that doesn't happen. Western and Japanese developers still dominate the market while studios like CD Projekt Red are a rare exception. And why is that? Because, quite simply, almost every other video game that's made outside the Western world or Japan sucks rear end and could never sell for $60. CD Projekt Red is successful because they make good video games while other people make not so good video games. That is the root of it and if you try to hand waive that away in lieu of some hairbrained economics you're really missing the forest for the trees.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CDPR is an exception because they own GOG, which helps to sustain their own development in a way that other small European studios cannot do without the backing of a big publisher. Blizzard, Valve, et al. all get to do what they want to do because they have their own lucrative distribution service.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Reclaimer posted:

I'm sure in the centuries since the genophage was unleashed a female krogan or two got tired of Space Sharia and dipped out on a passing freighter. Not to mention prior to that, they lived on many worlds that weren't Tuchanka.

Also what is some other Krogan gonna do? Tell her, a most likely fertile female, she can't go wherever the hell she wants? Good job, idiot, you just pissed off one of the few ways your genetic line will ever continue. As we saw on Tuchanka, the female Krogans hold pretty much all of the social power, and the threat of never having a chance at children was incredibly strong.

A female Krogan saying "Hey, let's go check out this other galaxy full of adventure, new worlds to see, and things to fight" would get a ton of male Krogans tagging along, especially younger ones who aren't quite as jaded as their elders.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Two Worlds series is better than the Elder Scrolls series so IMO every game should be made in Eastern Europe

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Soon they're gonna release a sci-fi RPG as well. Might become a direct competitor with Mass Effect :eyepop:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

exquisite tea posted:

CDPR is an exception because they own GOG, which helps to sustain their own development in a way that other small European studios cannot do without the backing of a big publisher. Blizzard, Valve, et al. all get to do what they want to do because they have their own lucrative distribution service.

Pretty sure GOG is a rather small part of their revenue. Their general game distribution business is bigger (they were pioneers in Eastern Europe, very effective at competing w/ rampant software piracy by offering good value/quality localization), and at this point game development might eclipse even that.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I just had a horrible thought

what if your female Turian squadmate is the "reach and flexibility" one

:(

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

That would actually be loving hilarious.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

Yeah, wouldn't want Garrus' sloppy seconds.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Mymla posted:

The new Tali sweat. :yikes:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Mymla posted:

same, I want the waifus to be pure

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I wouldn't really describe Turian breeding as 'sloppy' though. :confused:

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

NmareBfly posted:

I wouldn't really describe Turian breeding as 'sloppy' though. :confused:

I wouldn't be surprised if a crisp salute initiated foreplay.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I need to gently caress turians and I don't care how

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Moe~~~~

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Is she seriously wearing eyeliner so you'll know she's female. :lol:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So bad . So so bad.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I don't get it? Turians wearing face paint has always been a thing, why would it matter if they're male or female?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bloody Pom posted:

I don't get it? Turians wearing face paint has always been a thing, why would it matter if they're male or female?

Look at her eyes, not the bone plate. She's wearing eye liner - cat eye style - those thick top wings.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 5, 2016

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
In other words, she looks fine, but if you study the picture carefully you can find something to get offended about.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The aliens are not going to be alien enough to satisfy many posters in this thread, and what's more, they will use some human-like gender signifiers.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And the asari will be a loving embarrassment as always.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Lets explore differing standards of beauty.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
where are the female Elcor goddammit

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cythereal posted:

Not if they die

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Alain Post posted:

Not if they die

the genophage was used on the wrong species

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Cythereal posted:

marshmallow creep posted:

the genophage was used on the wrong species

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Moola posted:

Citadel is really cool and good if you're cable of enjoying things and having fun

This man speaks the truth.

Also are you guys getting upset about barely visible make up on an alien dino lady?

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
The way bioware chases progressive gender nonconformity in their romances while simultaneously failing with their setting to think even vaguely about how different aliens species might not comport with conventional human standards of masculinity and femininity is hilarious to me and very revealing. What does it reveal? When it comes to loving people ("character development") they can think a little outside the box. When it comes to writing a creative sci-fi setting around interesting ideas (in which those characters exist) on the other hand??? they can only think of a tribute to the action-adventure films of the 1970s and 80s within the template of the same fantasy plot they've always written.

Don't get me wrong; the MEs are fun games to play. Just don't expect too much from them -- because you won't get it.

Zane fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 5, 2016

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm still mad neytiri had breasts.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I don't think people are upset, it's just another thing that shows a lack of imagination. Why are human cosmetic customs crossing the racial divide down to eyebrows? Why not the other way? It'd be pretty neat (though admittedly a lot of work) if other races tended to have their own discreet fashion trends, especially because you then get to have human weeabo-equivalents that refuse to leave the ship without fluffing up their fake feather epaulets in the Turian style or whatever.

You run into mercenaries with face paint but that's just regular tribal poo poo.

E: Hell, don't make it a weeabo thing. Make it a fact of high society that you have to put plugs in your nose because Turians think big human nostrils are gross or whatever.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 5, 2016

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Maybe she knew she would be running into her ex-girlfriend, a non-turian, and wanted to look her best even if she didn't necessarily want to get back together with her.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

The aliens are ciphers for humans anyway so they're always gonna be anthropomorphised, but Bioware is still very lazy about this.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Zane posted:

The way bioware chases progressive gender nonconformity in their romances while simultaneously failing with their setting to think even vaguely about how different aliens species might not comport with conventional human standards of masculinity and femininity is hilarious to me and very revealing. What does it reveal? When it comes to loving people ("character development") they can think a little outside the box. When it comes to writing a creative sci-fi setting around interesting ideas (in which those characters exist) on the other hand??? they can only think of a tribute to the action-adventure films of the 1970s and 80s within the template of the same fantasy plot they've always written.

Don't get me wrong; the MEs are fun games to play. Just don't expect too much from them -- because you won't get it.

Honestly, they know their market. Most people aren't going to want to gently caress an interestingly non-human alienoid (that's not a dragon or pudding monster or some silly furry bullshit). Familiarity is what their majority of the romance fans want, and they're pushing it with the Garruses as it is. I don't think you'll ever find Bioware going for the creative look over the 'is this mostly fuckable'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
in star trek it was a uniform analogy at least which everyone could 'get' as part of a broader theme. the asari are extra funny because there had to be a conversation at bioware at some point where they collectively said "hmm, yeah, we'll use this setting to think post-anthropocentrica--:effort: uhh, I guess they're lesbian space elves??"

but yeah whatever lesbian space elves are cool also

Zane fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 5, 2016