Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
We're getting ready to stream!

Stream over, and thanks everyone for coming out! We finished the main Mechanist quest line so it's business as usual next week.

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 64:thx:

We're closing out our experimental series in Vault 88 with this video, and then exploring the caves a bit more before leaving it behind forever. Some people really get into this vault construction business and build elaborate wonders that show everything a vault can and should be. I'm just hoping the residents don't starve to death when I leave. Probably should have planted some crops for them... oh well, they'll figure it out.

Videos of The Mechanist DLC will start going up tomorrow, and stream next Wednesday as usual unless something comes up or we get bored over the long weekend.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 65:thx:

Today's video marks the first step of the Mechanist DLC, and it's going to be a bit long just because of how the action broke up. We start out with a much needed upgrade to the Silver Shroud costume, then wander into a three-way ambush between raiders, super-mutants, and rust devils. Our goal is an abandoned factory, and after wandering over to the wrong factory we finally make it only to find that it's packed to the gills with the Mechanist's mechanical monstrosities. At the end, after a considerable amount of work, we find some clues about the Mechanist and a possible way to track the fiend.

There'll be an additional video up tomorrow to keep us on track since Wednesday's stream ended up producing more videos than expected, and we'll be back to business as usual next week so by all means vote here on our next companion.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
I think one of the objects you can build from the Vault 88 objects is a terminal that you can use to locate companions by marking them as a waypoint, I forget what it's called but you should be able to find it in the build menu.

Kale and blueberry smoothies are definitely an acquired taste, but it's pretty good as lunch substitute if you're in a hurry. I sometimes have it a couple of hours before heading to the gym, adding ginger gives it a nice extra kick.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 66:thx:

After talking with Ada our mission is clear: we're going to chase down robobrains and steal their parts to find the Mechanist because science. One of them is helpfully wandering around near Diamond City, but the other is deep within the Fort Hagen Satellite Array. It's MUCH bigger than it looks like from the outside, meaning we've got a proper dungeon to deal with. On the plus side, there's some sweet new power armor that we're definitely going to be using and then saving for later.

Voting continues here for our next companion. I haven't even looked at the results yet, and now I'm curious.

ultrabindu posted:

I think one of the objects you can build from the Vault 88 objects is a terminal that you can use to locate companions by marking them as a waypoint, I forget what it's called but you should be able to find it in the build menu.

Kale and blueberry smoothies are definitely an acquired taste, but it's pretty good as lunch substitute if you're in a hurry. I sometimes have it a couple of hours before heading to the gym, adding ginger gives it a nice extra kick.

I will investigate this, and if it can be done than I will definitely do so in the next stream. It would make things SO much easier. I'll buy that kale and blueberry smoothies are an acquired taste, but I'll also say that they're a taste I personally have no desire to acquire.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Regarding the Hark! A Vagrant shirt Nancy mentioned at the start at update 64; I own two shirts from her. One is the picture of a victorian couple with the caption "I am excited for someone to invent the tshirt", the other is that very Marie and Pierre Curie tshirt.
I am just that nerdy I suppose.

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Nov 27, 2016

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Power Armor is kind of boring and slow, but you should definitely get some cool paintjobbed sets ready for specific purposes. Like lead-lining for the Glowing Sea or Strength bumps and calibrated shock legs for mass looting trips.

Thesaya posted:

Regarding the Hark! A Vagrant shirt Nancy mentioned at the start at update 64; I own two shirts from her. One is the picture of a victorian couple with the capture "I am excited for someone to invent the tshirt", the other is that very Marie and Pier Curie tshirt.
True story: Kate Beaton once had a SA forums account and was subsequently creeped out by/decided to leave because of BSS/GBS bros being weird to her.

We could have had super sweet fat pony grenade avatars or something by now. And think of all the cool Canadianuck history we missed out on! loving goons, man.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
You know, hearing my name in a video makes me feel kind of special. Also kudos to you for pronouncing my username right Dave, almost noone does at the first try. :golfclap:

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
I looked it up and the Vault 88 terminal you need is called Vault-Tec Population Management System.
You can find it under Power -> Miscellaneous. When you turn it on go to Access VIP Tracker.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 67:thx:

We're starting out the week by finishing off the Fort Hagen Satellite Array. There's a brain in a jar who we take to make into a new robot... uh.. friend, I guess, and a sentry tank with an awesome back story. After that I spend waaaay too long trying to pop Ivey's head off before making an escape. We've got the means to track down the Mechanist now, so we just have to make it happen.

As always, voting for a new companion is available here.

Thesaya posted:

Regarding the Hark! A Vagrant shirt Nancy mentioned at the start at update 64; I own two shirts from her. One is the picture of a victorian couple with the caption "I am excited for someone to invent the tshirt", the other is that very Marie and Pierre Curie tshirt.

Thesaya posted:

You know, hearing my name in a video makes me feel kind of special. Also kudos to you for pronouncing my username right Dave, almost noone does at the first try. :golfclap:

One of Nancy's favorite t-shirts says "Nerd Princess" and has a picture of a girl with a princess dress and rainbow hair, so you're in good company. I'm glad I managed to pronounce it correctly... I know that struggle as a result of having a long German last name and Nancy has an even longer hyphenated German last name so we usually know when somebody is trying to call our name in a waiting room or something by the long pause as the person tries to figure it out.

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Power Armor is kind of boring and slow, but you should definitely get some cool paintjobbed sets ready for specific purposes. Like lead-lining for the Glowing Sea or Strength bumps and calibrated shock legs for mass looting trips.

True story: Kate Beaton once had a SA forums account and was subsequently creeped out by/decided to leave because of BSS/GBS bros being weird to her.

We could have had super sweet fat pony grenade avatars or something by now. And think of all the cool Canadianuck history we missed out on! loving goons, man.

To be honest, I might not even bother with power armor for the Glowing Sea. For looting, however...

ultrabindu posted:

I looked it up and the Vault 88 terminal you need is called Vault-Tec Population Management System.
You can find it under Power -> Miscellaneous. When you turn it on go to Access VIP Tracker.

That will be the first priority on this week's stream. Thanks!

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Hey, I have a German last name that always gets mispronounced too!

Also, I remember trying to make my sleep deprived brain keep up with the conversations going on and failing like half the time.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I have a hyphenated Czech and Swedish last name. No one knows how to pronounce it.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I find myself fortunate that I do not share your name woes. Instead, I have the complete opposite problem with my name, but over the years, I stopped thinking of it as a pain, and now I just find it hilarious.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 68:thx:

Today we're supposed to be building Jezebel a rocking new bod to match her name, but it turns out we've only got so many parts. Might revisit that later. In the meantime, we've got the location and key to get into the Mechanist's base so we're going to start storming the castle. There's a lot of robots between us and our goal, but we've got ammo to spare.

Streaming tomorrow at the usual time of around 7:30 central, so by all means vote here for our next companion.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Never ever turn your back on a Crab

http://i.imgur.com/rK0GnVN.webm

I feel like those multiple secure doors at the entrance to the Mechanist's base were a reference to MST3K. The way they opened one after the other, each one becoming more pointlessly elaborate.

Those Rust Devils are very Warhammer 40k. All skulls and circuits and ornate machine totems. Maybe they'll merge with the Brotherhood and become the Adeptus Mechanicus. Tech priests all around.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 69:thx:

Okay, seriously, these robots are getting excessive. There's just piles and piles of them. We're making progress, though, and we're almost at the Mechanist's door, but first we've got to delve into the horrifying secrets of the Robobrains. I can promise, however, that tomorrow's update will see the Shroud bringing the Mechanist to JUSTICE! before hanging up the costume.

In the meantime, streaming tonight so final chance to vote on our new companion is here. I think I know who it's going to be, but I might be surprised.

ultrabindu posted:

Never ever turn your back on a Crab

http://i.imgur.com/rK0GnVN.webm

I feel like those multiple secure doors at the entrance to the Mechanist's base were a reference to MST3K. The way they opened one after the other, each one becoming more pointlessly elaborate.

Those Rust Devils are very Warhammer 40k. All skulls and circuits and ornate machine totems. Maybe they'll merge with the Brotherhood and become the Adeptus Mechanicus. Tech priests all around.

The animal kingdom is rising against us!

I think that one group of Rust Devils putting a deathclaw brain into a sentry tank is also very 40K. But for them to merge, they'd have to survive :black101:

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
I've had to medicate a cat.

Being on the receiving end of a cat jihad is not fun at all.

E:

http://i.imgur.com/wbWE80a.webm

ultrabindu fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 30, 2016

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

ultrabindu posted:

E:

People don't know the struggle, man.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
It begins!

Stream obviously done, it was a great time with everybody there.

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 1, 2016

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 70:thx:

Finally, in today's extra long episode (just the way the stream broke up), we confront the Mechanist in the artificial heart of her lair. It's not an easy fight - there's literally swarms of robots coming from all over the place, but eventually we triumph and get a chance to speak with our nemesis in true Shroud fashion and find out why they've been terrorizing the Commonwealth in the first place. Can the Shroud redeem even this villain?

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

ultrabindu posted:

E:

I mean, basically, a cat is just a long tube if you look at it from a mechanical point of view...

Also, aren't ragdoll physics so much fun?

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 71:thx:

Today we've got almost more of a set-up episode, with our first goal as building the Vault Tec Population Manager and our second as getting into some proper combat armor. After that we've got MacCready as a companion so the order of the day is random adventure, starting with visiting the General Atomics Galleria. We just have to find the place first.

The good news is that we ended up with six episodes out of the stream on Wednesday, so there'll be another episode up tomorrow. In the meantime, vote on our next companion here.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
So, a suggestion, when you answer people in the stream, if you quote them first it would really help for those of us who watch on youtube later.

Like, "Thesaya said; I am an artist and a lesbian, I am so special, blablabla!" after which you respond whatever, probably something like "Shut up Saya you pretentious girl."

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Thesaya posted:

So, a suggestion, when you answer people in the stream, if you quote them first it would really help for those of us who watch on youtube later.

Like, "Thesaya said; I am an artist and a lesbian, I am so special, blablabla!" after which you respond whatever, probably something like "Shut up Saya you pretentious girl."

Seconded, as long as it doesn't interrupt the flow of Story Time with Nancy

That VT Population management terminal is super useful. Although the quest should end automatically when you find the companion.
Are you using a IRC client to connect to twitch chat? I find its more reliable than the chat window.

Hanging around Sanctuary and hearing the same 3 NPC lines of dialogue got old real fast, not sure why Nick kept saying he wanted to talk to you and then didn't say anything though.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 72:thx:

Today we're going to be exploring the General Atomics Galleria, a magical place where robots sell each other and the three laws of robotics are firmly... uh... not there. The robots also appear to take their instructions in the form of English rather than code. Not sure who thought that was a good idea, but we'll see how it works out. Side note, in reference to my comment about bowling machines yesterday I was at a bowling alley and got a glimpse at the machines when they had to take a panel down to deal with a problem - that actually is pretty much what they look like!

We're currently in a dead heat on the companion poll, so vote here on our next companion!

Thesaya posted:

I'll try to be better about that, it probably would help a bit. And I would never respond with that!

ultrabindu posted:

Seconded, as long as it doesn't interrupt the flow of Story Time with Nancy

That VT Population management terminal is super useful. Although the quest should end automatically when you find the companion.
Are you using a IRC client to connect to twitch chat? I find its more reliable than the chat window.

Hanging around Sanctuary and hearing the same 3 NPC lines of dialogue got old real fast, not sure why Nick kept saying he wanted to talk to you and then didn't say anything though.

I can only imagine the annoyance if you didn't turn off that quest because you'd have a quest marker that kept moving around as your companion did. The dialogue is pretty bad and repetitive when you're in one place. I'm not sure if it's an improvement or not over Skyrim, to be honest.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Those robots that were misinterpreting their instructions with lethal results weren't as interesting as the last batch of robots that were misinterpreting their instructions with lethal results.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

ddegenha posted:

I'll try to be better about that, it probably would help a bit. And I would never respond with that!

Haha, well I would not say something in that vein in the first place so that's fine. Just the first thing that popped into my head for an example.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Errant robutts are getting out of hand.

It's time for us to construct a battle bot to deal with the hostile commonwealth.

http://i.imgur.com/juFPFmw.gifv

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

ultrabindu posted:

It's time for us to construct a battle bot to deal with the hostile commonwealth.

Is not the insistence on building dangerous robots what got us into this mess in the first place? Would not this Codsworth upgrade be just another rung in the endless ladder of murderbot escalation?

Is Beastworth a cure for this disease, or merely another symptom?

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 73:thx:

Today we're heading off to the racetrack, but the betting table is closed and somebody's going to have to pay for that. Afterwards we accept a mission from a farmer who's very upset about his missing sword and less upset about his missing son. Can't say as I blame him, as the sword is pretty drat sweet. Good thing we're fireproof for this one.

As always, voting remains open here.

ArchWizard posted:

Those robots that were misinterpreting their instructions with lethal results weren't as interesting as the last batch of robots that were misinterpreting their instructions with lethal results.

I suppose that is one of the pitfalls of doing this one immediately after the Mechanist. Then again, these were just a bunch of Codsworths. Speaking of which..

ultrabindu posted:

...I'm going to have to see what I have for parts. This might be a long term project.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

ultrabindu posted:

Okay, I'm down for this.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Cathode Raymond posted:

Is Beastworth a cure for this disease, or merely another symptom?

Yes.

Dave I find it funny how you're trying to be stealthy when Macready has picked up a flamethrower.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 74:thx:

Busy busy busy update today. We're finishing off the Forged quest and then Vault 88 is under attack and needs a rescue. If they were smart enough to close the drat door they wouldn't be settlers, now would they? After that MacCready has a problem and we have a typical Archer answer: why not just kill them all?

bman in 2288 posted:

Okay, I'm down for this.

I'm down for it as well, just need to find some parts... we'll see what we have and make him a work in progress. I may have to go SentryBot Hunting.

ultrabindu posted:

Yes.

Dave I find it funny how you're trying to be stealthy when Macready has picked up a flamethrower.

At this point it's practically instinctual, but it is pretty ridiculous when you think about it. "Where could they be?" "I don't know, did you look over by that giant plume of fire?"

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 75:thx:

We've helped out MacCready, now it's time to help ourselves. Today we're heading south to the Quincy Ruins, which is incidentally the last semi-safe place that Preston's motley crew was holed up in. It's full of Gunners now, but we can fix that. That's just a side show, however, as the real reason we're heading south is to meet up with some really cool cats - Atom Cats, that is.

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 3, 2017

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I'm back at update 73 and Nancy, come on, stop making excuses and embrace your sadism. It is fun when other people get hurt. There is a Swedish saying; "Skadeglädje är den enda sanna glädjen", which literally translates to "Schadenfreude is the only true joy", and those are words to live by.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
We're getting ready to stream now!

Stream complete - I was actually pretty tired by the end of it, but I definitely wanted to finish that quest.

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Dec 8, 2016

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Yeah, Schadenfreude is cool I guess. But I'm all about Fremdschämen now. I'm almost embarassed you've never heard of it.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Yeah, Schadenfreude is cool I guess. But I'm all about Fremdschämen now. I'm almost embarassed you've never heard of it.

What is it?

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Someone who feels embarrassment on behalf of someone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 76:thx:

Kind of a closer episode for the last stream here - we're off to make a special delivery for the Atom Cats, and when we back there's some trouble going down. The upside is that we're officially members of the Atom Cats now, which comes with a jacket and pants combo as well as access to their power armor mods and equipment. This is one of the few places where you can just outright buy full suits of power armor, so it's a valuable resource if we need to patch up sets. I think we might actually be able to put our companions into them... might have to look into that.

Thesaya posted:

I'm back at update 73 and Nancy, come on, stop making excuses and embrace your sadism. It is fun when other people get hurt. There is a Swedish saying; "Skadeglädje är den enda sanna glädjen", which literally translates to "Schadenfreude is the only true joy", and those are words to live by.

"What's Schadenfreude?"
"It's a German word that means joy at the misfortune of others."
"That sounds German alright!"

ThaGhettoJew posted:

They have a word for everything!

• Locked thread