Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Infinity Gaia posted:

Jesus, dungeons in Idle Mage Attack are brutal. I probably shouldn't have jumped into one immediately after unlocking it, but I did not expect it to be the three-stage survival course that it is. I don't want to leave, either, since that'll waste the key and I have no idea if those are obtainable without the cash shop currency. So I'm just beating my head against it forever, even though I can barely make it past stage 1.

They do drop later from bosses, and you can get runite from raids every 30 minutes, but yeah, you'll be stuck there a while. I don't know if there's a better way of doing them than setting up your spell sets to take advantage of the cooldown/spell school buffs on the three different waves and hoping that it doesn't take too many hours to grind up the power to finish them though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

They do tend to be good for said power grinding in the first place, though. If you get a variety with a bunch of extra-annoying enemy types (like those mages who throw up shields and also range attack), you're probably gonna need to use those consumable runes you've been stockpiling when you think your power's ready to make a real push.

Also since you can get more dungeon keys either via runite (50 per) or occasionally from chests, don't feel obligated to finish a dungeon. The rewards are nice but they're not "spend hours stuck in here" nice. Grind until the power growth slows down and if you haven't beaten it yet and can't realistically see yourself beating it, abandon. You can't run raids for runite (or critical raids for spellstones if you're taking over a day), and can't enchant your staff to keep up with scaling, if you're stuck in a dungeon.

Later you'll run across crumbling dungeon keys. You use these from your inventory (NB: not from going to dungeons on the map) and they send you straight into a random dungeon with no opportunity to raise its difficulty or reroll its stats. However, you can only carry one crumbling key around at a time so you might as well burn them as you get them.

Regular dungeon keys, you may want to save until after your first meditation. You'll unlock a few more options by then that makes them far more palatable. Also when using regular dungeon keys, take advantage of rerolls as you raise difficulty. The real key is not so much in what modifiers you get (everything's workable, really) as it is in what enemy types you get (some things are way more obnoxious than others).

Vil fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 3, 2016

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I hope I didn't make a terrible mistake spending my runite on a raw spellstone, then. I just... Really wanted more spells to play around with and waiting an entire day for each is too long (I have far too much free time).

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

ralin posted:

While Spaceplan is pretty short, it's one of the best I have played lately.

http://jhollands.co.uk/spaceplan/

This is one idler that benefits from its shortness, because that ending is a thing of beauty.

While's we're on the subject, are there any other idlers with a story beyond this, Candy Box 1/2 and A Dark Room?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Big Mad Drongo posted:

This is one idler that benefits from its shortness, because that ending is a thing of beauty.

While's we're on the subject, are there any other idlers with a story beyond this, Candy Box 1/2 and A Dark Room?

A lot of clickers have an implied story, at least. The one that started the fad is one of them, of course, Cookie Clicker. There are quite a few with that general level of storytelling. I've always been partial to Wall Clicker, which is as standard as clickers get (it's made in the clicker creation kit Orteil made, afterall) but I liked the general progression and implied plot.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

In dungeons, it seems like the rate of power gain is really cranked up. Remember that as you switch from level to level your loadout automatically switches from slot one to two to three, so be sure to set those up to take advantage of bonuses. Sometimes a spell you've got is so good that it'll make more sense to use it instead of a spell perfectly fitting the bonuses on the level.

It'll take you several runs to get through level one with any health at all, then several runs to get through level one with significant health, a few more runs to get through level two with any health, a few more to get through level two with significant health, and then you'll end up getting lucky and plowing through level three before you know it.

Firestorm seems to be very good for clearing out lower enemies when you've gained power-- quick recharge, lots of individual shots.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I would love to see a Wall Clicker remake in a not-garbage engine, I thought it scaled well.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I think the single most important spell I have in IMA right now is Shock Net. Shock Net and Meteor basically do 90% of the heavy lifting in everything, it feels like. Shock Net is just a total godsend against those rear end in a top hat enemies that block projectiles, and being able to fully clear a screen of annoying enemies in a single cast is just way too good. Meteor is good for anything that doesn't get one-shot by Shock Net, and it's great for boss fights due to the simple fact of it doing shitloads of damage.

I don't really have a lot of spells available yet though, so my opinion may change.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
I also love shock net, it's the only one I feel strongly about though. Any other really good spells I should be using?

I'm only at 174t power so I don't have a great grasp of the game yet.

Also, how does the offline gain work? Seems like it's next to nothing even after I got the lantern.

RVT fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 3, 2016

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Whats the deal with the portal in IMA? It doesn't give resources for just killing dudes and it's at least 20 levels deep from what I've seen. I'm assuming it gives you something on completion but I have no idea where 'completion' actually happens. I unlocked it over a week ago and I still can't beat it.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

RVT posted:

I also love shock net, it's the only one I feel strongly about though. Any other really good spells I should be using?

Static leap is pretty handy against the mobs that drop toxic crap when they die, and against heavy melee damage mobs generally. A free blink backwards every cast.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Agent355 posted:

Whats the deal with the portal in IMA? It doesn't give resources for just killing dudes and it's at least 20 levels deep from what I've seen. I'm assuming it gives you something on completion but I have no idea where 'completion' actually happens. I unlocked it over a week ago and I still can't beat it.
You won't be able to beat the portal until about 25 areas after you unlock it; I wasn't able to get anywhere in there until about area 50.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Anyone have a list of what the Meditation skill trees are? Just beat the Portal for the first time and want to make sure I'm going down the right path.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Agent355 posted:

Its the reincarnation of the game, you only keep spell levels. Get to zone 53 and you can clear it. You also keep runes. There's a further reincarnation with the doom sphere that I haven't hit yet.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

My spell loadout is currently: Blizzard, Icy Prism, Shock Net, Frozen Disc, Inferno.

Blizzard is a spell with a good number of projectiles all of which deal a moderate amount of damage. Icy Prism lets you do fairly strong spells with armor penetration, which makes fights with "bosses" easier. Shock Net is just the greatest spell in terms of damage and targets. Frozen Disc has a strong initial impact and then splits off into multiple shards. That makes it great for hitting strong enemies but isnt' a total waste when you've got to deal with a ton of weak enemies. Inferno is because it tears away at the hp wall mobs that usually have ranged mobs behind them. It's a good mix of powers that is only really hindered by enemies that leave negative stat effects on their death.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

TTBF posted:

My spell loadout is currently: Blizzard, Icy Prism, Shock Net, Frozen Disc, Inferno.

Blizzard is a spell with a good number of projectiles all of which deal a moderate amount of damage. Icy Prism lets you do fairly strong spells with armor penetration, which makes fights with "bosses" easier. Shock Net is just the greatest spell in terms of damage and targets. Frozen Disc has a strong initial impact and then splits off into multiple shards. That makes it great for hitting strong enemies but isnt' a total waste when you've got to deal with a ton of weak enemies. Inferno is because it tears away at the hp wall mobs that usually have ranged mobs behind them. It's a good mix of powers that is only really hindered by enemies that leave negative stat effects on their death.

I love the blizzard rune. Going to be so excited when I unlock it.

the auschwitz diet
Mar 19, 2004
I toast mine own alcoholism

Klungar posted:

Anyone have a list of what the Meditation skill trees are? Just beat the Portal for the first time and want to make sure I'm going down the right path.

There is a wiki or something iirc that had them. The right side was bestest last I played, not sure if they buffed the other, but you got a 10s invuln shield instead of constant healing and at tier 3 a last ditch flurry of 20 spells which let you push a bit further each run.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I hope I didn't make a terrible mistake spending my runite on a raw spellstone, then. I just... Really wanted more spells to play around with and waiting an entire day for each is too long (I have far too much free time).

Strictly speaking yes but it doesn't matter, you need 2? backpack upgrades and the optional idle bonus pack is kinda nice.

the auschwitz diet fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 4, 2016

Gandor
Apr 22, 2008
I love this game.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Klungar posted:

Left:
5% healing per 3 seconds
50% bonus damage for slot 2, tries to have it target far enemy
Healing can bring you to 200% health
50% cooldown boost for slot 5, tries to have it target near enemy

Right:
10 sec invulnerability shield when near death, can't proc again for 60 seconds
50% cooldown boost for slot 3, tries to have it target near enemy
poo poo out a ton of damage when the above shield procs (4 volleys of Meteor + Plasma Vortex + Torrent + Ice Blast + Voltaic Orb + Voltaic Sword)
50% bonus damage for slot 4, tries to have it target far enemy

You get an extra meditation skill per NG+, so by NG+4 you'll get four freebies plus the four you get for actual meditating, letting you get all eight.

Vil fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 4, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's also worth pointing out that you're going to want to meditate as soon as you complete a Portal, since you'll lose all your accumulated power and researches.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
How do I push past zone 170-180 in Trimps? I always seem to stall around 170. Here are my current perks:

(yes I edited my agility to get through zones faster, I don't think it even does anything above 20)

I always do challenges but I can't see how I can break out of this with the current perks. I've done like 7 runs in a row that end me with ~1.5m helium, and I keep pumping perks, but I still stall at 170.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I'm at about 10x that helium and still struggle with corrupted. Do a max stacks tox run to set a high bone portal and cash in bones on that until you're up around 100M (running tox or dailies) then you can start thinking about watch/lead runs. You might need to put more helium into coordinated too, even at your current level; at 130M helium I'm at 18 coordinated and it helps a ton. Can't tell from your perks (click "more info" to bring up total spent/cost on each) but I think you have too much in power, and you really only need 1 point in overkill until you're into the 100M range.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Roflex posted:

I'm at about 10x that helium and still struggle with corrupted. Do a max stacks tox run to set a high bone portal and cash in bones on that until you're up around 100M (running tox or dailies) then you can start thinking about watch/lead runs. You might need to put more helium into coordinated too, even at your current level; at 130M helium I'm at 18 coordinated and it helps a ton. Can't tell from your perks (click "more info" to bring up total spent/cost on each) but I think you have too much in power, and you really only need 1 point in overkill until you're into the 100M range.

Ok cool, thanks

Garfu fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 4, 2016

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Depending on which one of the established perk ratios you wanna go with, with 13.9 million helium they recommend something like this:

code:
  Perk Name  | Current | Option 1 | Option 2 | Option 3
--------------------------------------------------------
Overkill     |     2   |     0    |     0    |     0
Resourceful  |     5   |     5    |     2    |     0
Coordinated  |     8   |    10    |    11    |    10
Resilience   |    28   |    26    |    25    |    28
Carpentry    |    39   |    39    |    37    |    40
Artisanistry |    36   |    35    |    35    |    32
Pheromones   |    40   |    31    |    30    |    29
Motivation   |    35   |    39    |    38    |    36
Power        |    50   |    40    |    37    |    38
Toughness    |    41   |    49    |    42    |    47
Looting      |    48   |    50    |    51    |    51
Personally I'd say that ratios be damned, put at least 1 point in Overkill anyway to unlock it as a mechanic, since it makes all the early zones go twice as fast. Beyond that though, the advice generally seems to be "bit more Coordinated, bit more Looting, and like 10 points less of both Pheromones and Power", with some possible wiggle room of a point here and there in other perks. I'd go with Option 2 myself, tweaked for 1 Overkill instead of 0.

Once you've done the Trapper challenge and enough Scientist challenges (Scientist 3 I think?), Bait can be dropped down 0 for all the more you're actually gonna be trapping. Trumps and Packrat at a flat 30 are the typical advice as well; they don't scale well at all into late-game, but you do want some.

Generally speaking, Coordinated takes over Carpentry's role of God Perk once you get it (though it takes a while to kick in enough that you really start appreciating it). Carpentry is still very strong as well.

Once you get tier 2 perks in the spire (zone 200) those become really good investments. While their benefits scale additively (like Power/Toughness) rather than multiplicatively (like Carpentry/Resilience), their costs also scale additively, while all the earlier perks have multiplicative scaling on their costs as well. So you can get a very nice cost/benefit ratio from them.

If you want to play around with ratios yourself, there's an easy online calculator at http://zxv.nero.run/.

Vil fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 4, 2016

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Vil posted:

If you want to play around with ratios yourself, there's an easy online calculator at http://zxv.nero.run/.

I didn't know this was a thing, oh man I regret doing all that napkin math now.

Woah, holy poo poo, why is it recommending so much in looting. The most conservative of the options is still recommending I dump 20% of my total helium in looting.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 4, 2016

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Because looting affects your helium gain directly it is about as good as coordinated and carpentry when it comes to maximizing your he/hour while repeating helium challenges, which is what you spend most of the game doing.

the auschwitz diet
Mar 19, 2004
I toast mine own alcoholism

Vil posted:

Left:
5% healing per 3 seconds
50% bonus damage for slot 2, tries to have it target far enemy
Healing can bring you to 200% health
50% cooldown boost for slot 5, tries to have it target near enemy

Right:
10 sec invulnerability shield when near death, can't proc again for 60 seconds
50% cooldown boost for slot 3, tries to have it target near enemy
poo poo out a ton of damage when the above shield procs (4 volleys of Meteor + Plasma Vortex + Torrent + Ice Blast + Voltaic Orb + Voltaic Sword)
50% bonus damage for slot 4, tries to have it target far enemy

You get an extra meditation skill per NG+, so by NG+4 you'll get four freebies plus the four you get for actual meditating, letting you get all eight.

Right side supremacy..

If I recal correctly, Shock Net is the best spell in the game, Icy Prism and other spells that bypass armor like.. Voltaic Orb are pretty good, Inferno's synergy with anything that freezes is good, Spark, Flurry, or Static Leap are good utility spells. Generally you want something fast to deal with trash in the first half of the run and then something to deal with beefy high armor enemies and a bit of utility.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

NB that those ratios are somewhat less useful for early game, and I'd give them a fair bit of salt if you haven't unlocked Coordinated yet or even if you've just recently unlocked Coordinated. Earlier in the game you're better served by taking things that let you push further (this mostly means Carpentry and Artisanistry, with points scattered around other things when they feel pretty cheap), than by trying to eke out more helium from the same length of run. As you get further in the game, you'll make less and less dramatic strides in how far you can push, and Looting becomes accordingly a better and better choice.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Vil posted:

NB that those ratios are somewhat less useful for early game, and I'd give them a fair bit of salt if you haven't unlocked Coordinated yet or even if you've just recently unlocked Coordinated. Earlier in the game you're better served by taking things that let you push further (this mostly means Carpentry and Artisanistry, with points scattered around other things when they feel pretty cheap), than by trying to eke out more helium from the same length of run. As you get further in the game, you'll make less and less dramatic strides in how far you can push, and Looting becomes accordingly a better and better choice.

Most of the ratios are designed around having access to some of the spire perks. While the tool predates it the ratios have been tweaked to take advantage of the linearly increase in He of Power II toughness II and the likes. The ratios work sooo much better after you get toughness II power II was also a massive boost since it lets you do so much more damage. They start working when you are looking at corrupted but you are going to need to do some tweaking for it to be perfect. Right now Late game is spire, end game is magma and pushing 300+ is probably post game, though post game might even start earlier. with magma starting at 230.

Do you start hitting magma before fully clearing spire? I'm around spire 40 / zone 210 and magma seems so much closer than spire clear.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Is there a way to farm bones? I have 78 after 29 portals.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Portalling after 9 rows of spire, technically, as you are guaranteed a bunch then. But since you get skeletimps on a timer (once you kill one you have to wait a minimum of so many minutes before another will start spawning again), you just have it slowly accumulate over the course of playing the game.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Garfu posted:

Bones only drop from Skeletimps, which only appear on World cells. So yes, but only in the same way you farm helium.

e:f;b but in general yeah, don't worry about it you will eventually get enough bones for all the imps

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Garfu posted:

The cooldown is I believe an hour and only 1 can spawn per world map. If you can idle on world over night and pick up a few more maps in S for DE you will get extra bones. There are also a few in the spire.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

In trimps I just cleared the prison for the first time in a run that took roughly 24 hours. Should I immediately start doing the Electricity challenge or continue to do balance for however long?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

ralin posted:

While Spaceplan is pretty short, it's one of the best I have played lately.

http://jhollands.co.uk/spaceplan/

Oh wow, it's pretty. :3:

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Agent355 posted:

In trimps I just cleared the prison for the first time in a run that took roughly 24 hours. Should I immediately start doing the Electricity challenge or continue to do balance for however long?

Electricity is a lot of micro managing, which is a pain early on.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I'm almost positive I remember when electricity was the only He challenge it was recommended you wait a few normal runs before trying it. Do a balance or two and give it a try. I remember my first electricity took a few days but the amount of He was so high it was a joke after. Okay it still took a good amount of time just not most of a week.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ugh the 1e72 gem wall in RG is tough - researches are open but there's not quite enough to really do more than unlock them, and my merc builds are all slowing way down around the e66/69 level.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
There's probably going to be a Christmas event with significant bonuses to turn any walls you may encounter into trivial fences. At least that was the case in the past, I haven't gotten back into the game after the redesign. I'm playing Idle Wizard on Kongregate right now but hate it already. Why can't there be another good new idle game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Foo posted:

ugh the 1e72 gem wall in RG is tough - researches are open but there's not quite enough to really do more than unlock them, and my merc builds are all slowing way down around the e66/69 level.

This was where I stopped playing months ago. Have been sitting in a Faceless game building up hive mind bonus since then.