Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

quote:

On Thursday, the Vatican officially released the Pope's encyclical on climate change, Laudato Si. In it, not only did he call for sweeping changes in how humanity cares for the planet, but he also harshly criticized the whole system of capitalism that he says is leading humanity to ecological catastrophe. He specifically criticized rich countries for exploiting the resources of the poor. "Access to ownership of goods and resources for meeting vital needs is inhibited by a system of commercial relations and ownership which is structurally perverse," the encyclical stated. "The developed countries ought to help pay this debt by significantly limiting their consumption of non-renewable energy and by assisting poorer countries to support policies and programmes of sustainable development."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

the pope is... good?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Serf posted:

the pope is... good?
Who knows, first we need someone to pin down his stance on whether Latinx is an acceptable term or not :shrug:

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

what is the pope's stance on memes

as a millennial this is critically important to me

Serf
May 5, 2011

AceRimmer posted:

Who knows, first we need someone to pin down his stance on whether Latinx is an acceptable term or not :shrug:

which pokemon is this

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

UHD posted:

Bernie is the Pope, so...

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
I don't know but here's a cool email I got recently

quote:

Hi Everyone,

My landlady couldn't deal with her white guilt/fragility so she decided to terminate our rental agreement early, even though she knows I have no place else to go.

I need a new place by [redacted date], but I could move in sooner.

I identify as a Latinx woman of color, working class, and first generation in my family to go to college.

I can pay between [redacted ludicrously low rent] dollars for rent each month.

Please let me know if you are renting or share with someone who is renting a space.
That's how I found out Latinx and Chicanx were things

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Churches in general are for the priest or pastor and his family to gouge as much money as possible from the desperate.

If you can find one that doesn't do that then it's probably fine for a meeting spot. Though I'd be wary of what kind of things the congregation actually believes and why they feel they need a church in the first place.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

AceRimmer posted:

I don't know but here's a cool email I got recently

That's how I found out Latinx and Chicanx were things

I genuinely hope that she dies on the street. Holy gently caress.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Looks like Bernie might have his first post-election victory, looks like the DAPL is dead.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1328716083847271&id=1194419550610259

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sinestro posted:

what the gently caress dude

Ace of Baes posted:

Looks like Bernie might have his first post-election victory, looks like the DAPL is dead.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1328716083847271&id=1194419550610259

gently caress yeahhh

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Serf posted:

It would also help if we stopped trying to come up with ways to entice industries to invest in communities or convert into more modern production. Nationalize them and do it ourselves.

How do we reconcile with other corporations and companies moving their business elsewhere when we start nationalizing things?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

UHD posted:

Christ is Lord of Lords and Meme of Memes

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Venom Snake posted:

So quick question to all our resident leftists and communists. Whats your take on churches as bases for community organizing? They are big in the black community and in rural area's but I know religion is a touchy subject for the left.

The issue with Churches is that sometimes they're just not interested in helping us. Black churches are fertile ground that have a proven record of helping with minority organization and issues, but white Evangelical churches have a proven record of resistance to what we're trying to do. Churches were some of the biggest opponents of gay marriage and are now some of the biggest opponents of trans rights, and we're not exactly going to stop caring about those so we'll continue to butt heads.

But in many rural communities, the only charity and support structure that's out there IS religious. The only free dinner is one provided by a church or a religious charity, the only free place to sleep is a church, and if you're trying to actively improve the well-being of the marginalized there you have to work with the church. I'm not exactly pitching revolutionary economic theory with everyone I meet, but some of these small town churches are literally the only ones who are confronting the problems we're trying to help, and would absolutely want to make things better. "poo poo ain't workin' out here" is well understood there.

Powercrazy posted:

Churches in general are for the priest or pastor and his family to gouge as much money as possible from the desperate.

If you can find one that doesn't do that then it's probably fine for a meeting spot. Though I'd be wary of what kind of things the congregation actually believes and why they feel they need a church in the first place.

poo poo though this too. Lots of pastors are just in it for the cash and the esteem, it's like a shortcut to being a politician without anyone having to vote for you. There's a fair share of churches that pretty much just hold fundraisers for non-specific things and then funnel that money away.

Also megachurches are anathema to everything you could try to accomplish, as well as the concepts of goodness, light, and decency, but we all know that already.

Grondoth has issued a correction as of 22:42 on Dec 4, 2016

Serf
May 5, 2011

Ace of Baes posted:

Holy poo poo.

But I'll wait a month or so and see if they go back on this one.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
theyre probably just gonna stop and the quietly do it as fast as possible around christmas or something lol

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

This person seems insufferable but yeah I don't wish for their death wtf

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

anime was right posted:

theyre probably just gonna stop and the quietly do it as fast as possible around christmas or something lol

agreed but even the appearance of a temporary concession in the face of protest is good for building public perception of the legitimacy and effectiveness of resistance and demonstration

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Venom Snake posted:

So quick question to all our resident leftists and communists. Whats your take on churches as bases for community organizing? They are big in the black community and in rural area's but I know religion is a touchy subject for the left.

Good enough for Reverend MLK Jr, good enough for me. There's nothing more powerful than the church as bases for community organizing, and there's little more radicalizing leftist material out there than the extremely humanist and antimaterialist teachings attributed to Jesus. Churches are great. Church leadership not always.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Serf posted:

But I'll wait a month or so and see if they go back on this one.
same

crazy cloud posted:

Good enough for Reverend MLK Jr, good enough for me. There's nothing more powerful than the church as bases for community organizing, and there's little more radicalizing leftist material out there than the extremely humanist and antimaterialist teachings attributed to Jesus. Churches are great. Church leadership not always.
another part of the elite-induced idpol "revolution" was to break ties between the democrats and minority christian groups and it worked pretty great :thumbsup:

Anime Schoolgirl has issued a correction as of 22:47 on Dec 4, 2016

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Pollyanna posted:

the tone, attitude, use of her identity as if it earns her discounted rent

i dunno, i can't afford rent and have to live with my actively transphobic family but I don't send people emails about how they should help me out with dumb made up words in them

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Venom Snake posted:

It's a center of community for a lot of people, so it's perfectly fine for organizing. Talk to the dang priest or preacher who runs the place before you start telling people to go, though.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Venom Snake posted:

on one hand, organized evangelical churches in the us are a masterclass in disseminating narratives and constructing the right set of litmus/wedge issues that can later be used by the right to get people to vote against their own interests. perverse, but the left can learn from it and if nothing else needs to know how to counter it rather than just dismissing it

on the other hand, many churches are one of the few remaining loci of genuine, largely non-consumption-focus communal engagement remaining, so the left should be looking to either employ or emulate

so my vote is churches are important. dont want to get into the religion argument but i dont think it's immediately, inherently incompatible with a left society

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Ace of Baes posted:

until Trump re-routes it in January out of spite

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

HorseRenoir posted:

until Trump re-routes it in January out of spite

It'd be out of self-interest, he's invested in it and has came out publicly for it, if he does try to run it through hell probably end up murdering whatever approval rating he has left.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

same

another part of the elite-induced idpol "revolution" was to break ties between the democrats and minority christian groups and it worked pretty great :thumbsup:

Mm yes I too remember how the DNC this year totally shunned any and all religion, leading up to the impassioned secular humanist speech of Mr. Barber, and the atheist Khan parents

Ffs, Hillary Clinton and Bill Clinton regularly attended and spoke to black church leaders for the last 30 years, always getting their input, listening to them, and heeding their advice. If anyone was calling to break all ties with minority religious groups, it was NEVER the Clintons.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ace of Baes posted:

Interesting; which happens first, repeal of the ACA or reversal of this decision? At least the protestors can rest through the winter and gear back up in the Spring.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Sinestro posted:

Excellent thread title right there.

Democrats: I genuinely hope that she dies on the street. Holy gently caress.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Fulchrum posted:

Mm yes I too remember how the DNC this year totally shunned any and all religion, leading up to the impassioned secular humanist speech of Mr. Barber, and the atheist Khan parents

Ffs, Hillary Clinton and Bill Clinton regularly attended and spoke to black church leaders for the last 30 years, always getting their input, listening to them, and heeding their advice. If anyone was calling to break all ties with minority religious groups, it was NEVER the Clintons.

Really wish Clinton didn't give that speech about "killing god and his befuddled children"

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Firehoses in the Dakota winter is definitely something that we can be glad the protesters don't have to suffer.

Though that may have been why they stopped - the optics of native Americans freezing to death as they get sprayed with water, at Christmas time, would cause the public sentiment to turn too heavily against them.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

How do we reconcile with other corporations and companies moving their business elsewhere when we start nationalizing things?

Threaten the owners and executives with imprisonment if they try to do that. Problem solved.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fulchrum posted:

Firehoses in the Dakota winter is definitely something that we can be glad the protesters don't have to suffer.

Though that may have been why they stopped - the optics of native Americans freezing to death as they get sprayed with water, at Christmas time, would cause the public sentiment to turn too heavily against them.

Thank god for optics

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Fulchrum posted:

oh, they weren't the problem, that i'd admit

but please don't kid yourself that huffpo/wapo/etc were always beneficial to the DNC especially in a case like this

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

same

when did this happen

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Tatum Girlparts posted:

when did this happen
you might have to take those huffpost-and-associates articles where we don't "need" religious people out of the memory hole

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fulchrum posted:

i wanna know why public sentiment isn't already against them

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
old churches are cool

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Latinks is marginally better than Latin-ats (latin@) I guess, but its still kind a dumb thing. Why not just drop the gendered ending altogether and go with Latin instead of some weird neologism if its a concern?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

you might have to take those huffpost-and-associates articles where we don't "need" religious people out of the memory hole

Oh, yea, those idiots. Maybe it's me being in the south and all where that's just not a possibility but I never saw that gaining any actual traction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
please, sign of hands, who here thought that demographics were destiny?

• Locked thread