Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

wdarkk posted:

Bonus weekend is hell.

Weekday weekend supremacy. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Flamu is so goddamn mad. It's amazing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

wdarkk posted:

Flamu is so goddamn mad. It's amazing.

What's he mad about?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Night10194 posted:

What's he mad about?

The subject we were discussing, terrible weekend potato pubbies.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
People either never engage until it's too late or immediately charge in and get vaped.

My problem is usually the latter. Because knife fights. :black101:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Blindeye posted:

Is the Sims worth getting? It has abysmal torps but it seems to be a decent gunboat with stupid speed.

It's not especially fast iirc, the gun turrets are extremely fast, but the torps are SOOO BAAAD. I have one but it's not really a boat I ever have good games in. Even top tiered when you can bully the poo poo out of T5 DDs, it just has too many blah aspects.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

He reported me for not dying and winning on points. I guess I should have rammed one of their BBs since his team DESERVED THE WIN or something.

I don't know if the game notifies you about reports, but it did tell me that I got complimented that game. Probably for not ramming a BB and winning on points. :v:

The idiot in question since it's hard to read the name. Standard idiot BB driver.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 4, 2016

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

wdarkk posted:

The subject we were discussing, terrible weekend potato pubbies.

This makes it all worth while. I have nothing against him and his videos have helped me be better, but youtube superstars getting hosed/mad like the rest of us amuses me endlessly.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Not seeing someone get at least a little salty would make me worried.

Ships can get irritating when people on your team need a drool proof keyboard.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

It's not especially fast iirc, the gun turrets are extremely fast, but the torps are SOOO BAAAD. I have one but it's not really a boat I ever have good games in. Even top tiered when you can bully the poo poo out of T5 DDs, it just has too many blah aspects.

It was a good ship, back on release.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
Trying out this game, heard there's bonuses if I give someone a referral. Who wants it?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Rhopunzel posted:

Trying out this game, heard there's bonuses if I give someone a referral. Who wants it?

There's better rewards for using a referral (free boats). Please use mine, unless you've already received an invite: http://playtogether.worldofwarships.com/invite/qYYr3a4

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

AfroSquirrel posted:

There's better rewards for using a referral (free boats). Please use mine, unless you've already received an invite: http://playtogether.worldofwarships.com/invite/qYYr3a4

That's what I meant, sorry. Thanks, I'll use yours.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

AfroSquirrel posted:

If this gives you a Diana and Texas than it is the poo poo :)

Edit: Apparently it takes 105k damage in the Dunk to win and 90k in the Anshan to win. gently caress ME.

Edit 2: The Cleveland is loving rear end and I hate it. Do the higher tier US CAs get better or is it the same hide and pray no one every shoots you style.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 5, 2016

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

El Disco posted:

The idiot in question since it's hard to read the name. Standard idiot BB driver.

The guy is a PvE hero. Don't mind him. The scary part is that apparently that kind of performance is "average" according to that database.

edit: Its [BOTES] a goon team?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So there's a new television spot for this where they call it "the thinking man's game."

And they were advertising it on Spike, during a TV edited version of Fast Five. Oh, the irony.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Wait shut up a minute, someone earlier said they wanted to get rid of Captain Seagal? What the hell is wrong with you. Granted it is a bit scary when he does his voice clip for you being the last person alive on your team.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Gwaihir posted:

Got it, nice little gunboat I'd say. You have the choice of short range fast torps or long range 49kt torps: which is better to equip? Keep in mind most of my damage I do is blazing it in my DDs.

Any advice on modules for the Sims? Obviously main armaments/aiming but what about the 3 and 4 slots?

One last thing with US DDs has been on my mind too: do I want to have Demolition expert, or the extra HP on the higher tier DDs?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

This makes it all worth while. I have nothing against him and his videos have helped me be better, but youtube superstars getting hosed/mad like the rest of us amuses me endlessly.

He actually isn't really a youtube superstar... more of a twitch streaming superstar. We just happen to link his highlight reels that he posts on youtube.

That being said, I have learned a lot watching his videos same as you.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Blindeye posted:

Got it, nice little gunboat I'd say. You have the choice of short range fast torps or long range 49kt torps: which is better to equip? Keep in mind most of my damage I do is blazing it in my DDs.

Any advice on modules for the Sims? Obviously main armaments/aiming but what about the 3 and 4 slots?

One last thing with US DDs has been on my mind too: do I want to have Demolition expert, or the extra HP on the higher tier DDs?

The short range torps are better general purpose torps. The 9.2km ones are so slow and do so little damage that they're only good for spamming into smoke clouds or trying to get a flooding on a BB. 5.5km isn't great but at least they have usable speed and damage. And yeah, you're probably going to get most of your damage from killing other DDs and setting bigger ships on fire.

Engine mod and Acceleration. Engine mod because speed is life and it helps to take fewer engine incapacitations. Acceleration because your rudder is already fast enough, might as well make it easier to get moving when stopped.

Survivability is probably the best for US DDs right now, due to the likelihood of you knife-fighting other DDs and getting spotted by radar/hydro when contesting caps.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Wait shut up a minute, someone earlier said they wanted to get rid of Captain Seagal? What the hell is wrong with you. Granted it is a bit scary when he does his voice clip for you being the last person alive on your team.

Stephen Seagal is kinda a lovely person irl, what with the sexual assault and the being a dick to everyone he works with and the supporting Russia annexing Crimea.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011
I really do try to have a good individual game regardless of what happens with my team, but goddamn sometimes it's awfully difficult. I'm by no means a unicum player, but it gets incredibly old begging the BB group to stop hiding behind an island in a cluster afraid of a couple of DDs and a cruiser, or having a DD not want to scout because "his small ship will get blown away" while he spends the rest of his time trying to torp snipe a Cleveland from 10km.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Its nice that my Hatsuharu has taken over as my most unlucky ship. I've had a single game in this since the rebalance that its done anything in. Had a 378xp win on a map because our team cap-fasted and there was never a point I could get close to another ship to do anything. I'm tired of having the people that blissfully drive into torps be on my team.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Ever since I've begun running premium consumables on a ship I'm playing repeatedly, I've started wishing there was some way to turn off the goddamn pop-up messages regarding replenishment et al on the right side of the screen. Gets really annoying when I can't see anything over there for like 30 seconds to a minute simply because the game feels like tossing a huge string of message after message, all of which take a while to fade.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Edit 2: The Cleveland is loving rear end and I hate it. Do the higher tier US CAs get better or is it the same hide and pray no one every shoots you style.

You're going to love the Pensacola

e: The potatoes this weekend were so bad that I've turned pink for the first time ever, after turning around and setting on fire a Gneisenau that was sailing up and down edge sniping instead of doing what he was loving supposed to be doing. Straw that broke the camel's back.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Dec 5, 2016

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I'm downloading this game rn because I saw some war thunder youtubers playing it and it looks like a lot of fun. If I just want to jump in and play, is there anything I should know (like solid shot in WT being hot trash, meaning don't play brits cause thats all they get). I'll read the OP eventually but there's quite a lot there.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

underage at the vape shop posted:

I'm downloading this game rn because I saw some war thunder youtubers playing it and it looks like a lot of fun. If I just want to jump in and play, is there anything I should know (like solid shot in WT being hot trash, meaning don't play brits cause thats all they get). I'll read the OP eventually but there's quite a lot there.

If you haven't already made an account, use this code and we both get free stuff http://playtogether.worldofwarships.com/invite/6gAJ2b5

As for ammo, Destroyers shoot HE at everything, Cruisers shoot AP at other cruisers and HE at everything else, Battleships shoot HE at destroyers and AP at everything else, and RN cruisers don't get HE at all, they just get a special AP shell, so there's no choice to worry about. That should be enough to get you through to tier 4, and the other nuances like defeating angling, range, nation specific armouring, etc can be read later.

Presenting your flat side to the enemy is also an inviation to receive a hit to the citadel, which is mega damage, so that's where angling becomes important - problem is at low tiers a lot of ships have ancient, broadside style barbette guns that force you broadside to do damage, so that's a thing to learn as you move into proper turreted ships.

Also, don't fire torpedoes through your team, and when you select torpedoes you get a white wedge which indicates how uch you need to lead the target by at the current speed and heading.

As for picking lines, I'm fairly sure that right now the most newbie friendly lines are German battleships, Japanese cruisers, and US destroyers, certainly in the newbie tiers.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Dec 5, 2016

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Too late :(

Yeah I've been shot in the rear end in planes/tanks in WT enough to know to never ever shoot through your team. Reading this page it's good to know that poo poo pubbies are a constant.

I'm assuming angling is similar to WT tanks, where you try to present as little flat surface as possible, like turning a Tiger 1 to 30-40 degrees so the plates are angled and harder to pen. Alittle more involved though, because of cannon locations, but same concept?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

More or less, yes. Larger guns can often overmatch armour at any angle, so it doesn't always work, and there's also the concept of plunging fire.

Angling means nothing to HE shells though, so if you're against an angled target you can't overmatch - which even if you're in a battleship can include some cruisers - HE is the ammo to use. WoWs generally tends to be less about damage mitigation, and more about surviving a battle of attrition. The only sure fire way to mitigate damage completely is to not get hit at all, aka WASD hax and Torpedobeats

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

CitizenKain posted:

Its nice that my Hatsuharu has taken over as my most unlucky ship. I've had a single game in this since the rebalance that its done anything in. Had a 378xp win on a map because our team cap-fasted and there was never a point I could get close to another ship to do anything. I'm tired of having the people that blissfully drive into torps be on my team.

I'm a dd neophyte but the Hatsuharu has excellent gun performance. I've been doing quite well gunning down Fubukis and such. I consider the torps to be almost a secondary since they're not that amazing.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Wait is my game supposed to download another 10gb after telling me its installing?

E: Turning off seeding increased my download speed by x8 so it's not that bad actually. I just won't get to play tonight.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Dec 5, 2016

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
So remember Myogi chat?

The Myogi is now officially the best BB I play, stats-wise :psyduck:. I suppose the matchmaking at tier 4 helps a ton to make it feel competitive.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

underage at the vape shop posted:

Wait is my game supposed to download another 10gb after telling me its installing?

E: Turning off seeding increased my download speed by x8 so it's not that bad actually. I just won't get to play tonight.

Watch Eurobeat videos while you wait

Everything from Battleship Hindenburg - World of Warships Funtage #1 onwards is where the quality kicks in, and he finds his style, and there's a lot of hints for good gameplay there too

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 5, 2016

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Watch Eurobeat videos while you wait

The Eurobeat music plays in my head now every time I'm dodging torps, complete with record scratch when I fail.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Aramoro posted:

The Eurobeat music plays in my head now every time I'm dodging torps, complete with record scratch when I fail.

Same, plus Bidibodi Bidibu every time I see an enemy Scharnhorst/Gneisenau

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Aramoro posted:

Even over in Steel Ocean, when an important torpedo dodge is coming up we call upon the protection of eurobeats.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

The only bright spot out of all last night was my NC game. 130k damage. Our team had a squad that brought a Kongo into a T8 game. It wasn't looking good. I was laying down some disgusting damage but ended up isolated and running away while the entire enemy team shot at me. When I bought it out team was down three ships, but multiple ships on the enemy team were very low health. Still wasn't looking good. Then, out of the heavens, came a competent Bismark player. He finished off an Amagi, dodged torps from a Myoko, and tanked a Bismark to hold onto our points lead until we won.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Pretty sure those codes will still work until you hit a certain account level, try it anyway.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

wdarkk posted:

Pretty sure those codes will still work until you hit a certain account level, try it anyway.

Yeah give it a shot anyway, you get a free $20 premium battleship out of it, and a $10 cruiser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

wdarkk posted:

So long as you're below service level 3. So if he hasn't gotten too far absolutely use it. The Texas is a solid ship and getting it for free is pretty sweet.