Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Medullah posted:

Non-entity donated that for a new contest, but if the bulk of the guild doesn't care you can. What do you guys think? Let him have it or too sad too late? :D

Oh if it's for a new thing don't worry about it.

Just finished KOTET. I feel like they went in the right direction making choices matter more and making the game play a little more dynamic with a mix of different objectives and pacing. Still tons of annoying Skytrooper corridors. I wouldn't mind the waves of enemies as much if there was more variety in the kinds of enemies. Really shocked at how big of a difference in substance and quality there is between this set of chapters and the episodic stuff we got before. And anyone who didn't like the giant robot combat hates fun. The walkers I agree mostly sucked.

Double secret edit: I mean this is a definite improvement over the crappy storytelling of the past two installments, but it still left a ton of threads hanging. It was satisfying for the original Sith backstory of Valkorion to be acknowledged. A little perplexing as a SW to be going "DUR WHAT'S NATHEEMA." And if I remember rightly, don't they say at some point that the Emperor's original body is still alive (because they move it for protection at the end of the Jedi Knight story) and he just uses the Voices as kind of a shell game? And yeah I wanted to know what the hell was going on with the big turd in the middle of the Dark Sanctuary. The idea that a ship that came from the droid planet just happened to have a big ominous black turd floating in the middle of it that whispers when you get close doesn't seem to line up. I guess I was just hoping they'd build a better conclusion out of the pieces they'd laid down in the opening acts. The idea that the holocron just becomes a thing to use in a Freddy Kreuger dream rather than a means to trap Valkorion the same way he trapped his pops is just really perplexing and disappointing too. Can they not maintain consistency of how a piece of fictional technology works across like four chapters?

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Dec 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Latest patch seems to have broken the tauntaun mount in nightmarish ways:

Only happens on female characters, too.

EDIT: Also only seems to happen when standing still.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Dec 4, 2016

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
What's the verdict on the new Uprisings thing? Any good?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Chickenwalker posted:

Double secret edit: I mean this is a definite improvement over the crappy storytelling of the past two installments, but it still left a ton of threads hanging. It was satisfying for the original Sith backstory of Valkorion to be acknowledged. A little perplexing as a SW to be going "DUR WHAT'S NATHEEMA." And if I remember rightly, don't they say at some point that the Emperor's original body is still alive (because they move it for protection at the end of the Jedi Knight story) and he just uses the Voices as kind of a shell game? And yeah I wanted to know what the hell was going on with the big turd in the middle of the Dark Sanctuary. The idea that a ship that came from the droid planet just happened to have a big ominous black turd floating in the middle of it that whispers when you get close doesn't seem to line up. I guess I was just hoping they'd build a better conclusion out of the pieces they'd laid down in the opening acts. The idea that the holocron just becomes a thing to use in a Freddy Kreuger dream rather than a means to trap Valkorion the same way he trapped his pops is just really perplexing and disappointing too. Can they not maintain consistency of how a piece of fictional technology works across like four chapters?

I agree with a lot of this. As much as they did cough up on the promise of tying up a load of threads, there's still some loose ones hanging. But for all we know those'll get taken care of in whatever they've got planned next. And I don't know if I'm the only one seeing it, but it felt that there were plenty of opportunities that they could've brought back some of the missing companions. Granted I know the actual reason's the VA strike that's still ongoing and probably budgeting issues on top of that, but drat if near the end it really felt off with Lord Scourge, Kira and Jaesa missing.

Moon Slayer posted:

Latest patch seems to have broken the tauntaun mount in nightmarish ways:
Only happens on female characters, too.

EDIT: Also only seems to happen when standing still.

It's not just on the tauntaun mount. I'm seeing it happen on my savanna kybuck too.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Another day, another Darth thinks I'm dead despite my running around imperial bases all over the galaxy...

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

M_Sinistrari posted:

I agree with a lot of this. As much as they did cough up on the promise of tying up a load of threads, there's still some loose ones hanging. But for all we know those'll get taken care of in whatever they've got planned next. And I don't know if I'm the only one seeing it, but it felt that there were plenty of opportunities that they could've brought back some of the missing companions. Granted I know the actual reason's the VA strike that's still ongoing and probably budgeting issues on top of that, but drat if near the end it really felt off with Lord Scourge, Kira and Jaesa missing.

It's not just on the tauntaun mount. I'm seeing it happen on my savanna kybuck too.

For Jaesa as a SW if you ask Master Ranos about her you get told to forget any relationship that you might have had as she's gone insane and is leaving death and destruction in her wake as she searches for even more power in the form of Sith artifacts. That's for a DS Jaesa, I'm assuming LS was the same and is foreshadowing for an eventual confrontation down the line.

If we are going to do another contest how about a stronghold one? Could just do a Christmas-themed entrance room to the DK apartment so everyone can enter on a more even footing, although it would be a bit more involved to set up and judge than another costume competition.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Pretty sure this isn't the first time I've arrived at Quesh and been too low level to get the inoculation. Slow levelling sucks.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Aleth posted:

For Jaesa as a SW if you ask Master Ranos about her you get told to forget any relationship that you might have had as she's gone insane and is leaving death and destruction in her wake as she searches for even more power in the form of Sith artifacts. That's for a DS Jaesa, I'm assuming LS was the same and is foreshadowing for an eventual confrontation down the line.

My LS Sith Warrior was told that Jaesa had been out there fighting the good fight against the Eternal Empire and helping people where she could, but when Ranos tried to contact her, she slipped away and went incommunicado.

sassassin posted:

Pretty sure this isn't the first time I've arrived at Quesh and been too low level to get the inoculation. Slow levelling sucks.

:psyduck: how are you so bad at this game?

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Moon Slayer posted:

My LS Sith Warrior was told that Jaesa had been out there fighting the good fight against the Eternal Empire and helping people where she could, but when Ranos tried to contact her, she slipped away and went incommunicado.

Boo, thought maybe they'd done something sensible and settled on one canon path for her to become a future villain or something but I guess Vaylin hit their batshit insane character quota.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Moon Slayer posted:

:psyduck: how are you so bad at this game?

I'm a non-subscriber who can't be bothered to run the same planetaries or tedious flashpoints again (I did Tatooine and parts of some others, cleared out sidequests on one planet). I was enjoying the class story.

If that makes me bad at the game then that's how I'm bad at the game, I guess?

If Inquisitor had a proper intermission between Chapter 1 and 2 I might not have been caught out but the story encourages you to push onwards (in a way that would have been great this time last month).

sassassin fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 4, 2016

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Pretty sure this isn't the first time you've whined about being underlevel and it turns out it's because you can't be bothered to play most of the game that awards you mountains of xp for little effort.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Aleth posted:

Pretty sure this isn't the first time you've whined about being underlevel and it turns out it's because you can't be bothered to play most of the game that awards you mountains of xp for little effort.

Congrats on your basic reading comprehension skills?

Quesh has an arbitrary check where you need to be level 33 to go down, even though the game is so easy nothing there can kill me below that.

Last I spoke to my apprentices they were being hunted by a Sith Lord. That was Tatooine planetary and a Nar Shadaa Heroic ago.

RIP

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Chickenwalker posted:

What's the verdict on the new Uprisings thing? Any good?

I like them. They're fast and it's mostly just boss fights with some swarms of trash but the trash isn't bad because they tend to be pretty grouped up so you just lob your AoEs and they all fall over. Pubbies still do dumb things like die pretty much instantly in big super obvious red circles of death, spend an entire fight shooting the one mob with a reflect shield, and frantically kiting a boss in a circle around a crate (LoSing everyone) because they don't realize there is no tank. But that doesn't really end up being an issue on Story mode at least.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Dumb question, do strongholds grant rest xp?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Dumb question, do strongholds grant rest xp?

Yes I think so

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

M_Sinistrari posted:

Omitting Scourge and Kira was for sure a major missed opportunity. What happens if you keep Valk's Ghost Dad in the box? I have a feeling there aren't any other major revelations aside from "Valkorion's even more of a dick than you think! No, really!" Maybe he shows up in the final fight?

Still disappointed they couldn't keep to the obvious function of the Holocron as soul/mind trap and resorted to the tired trope of "battle inside the mind, and I only remember after like three 15 minute boss fights that I control reality here because it's my mind."

Thinking about it, because you only kill him in your mind rather than verifiably trapping him in a prison he can't escape, it's entirely possible that his essence just hosed off to another host in some far removed corner of the galaxy, maybe even his original host body. Just not really a satisfying ending when the only confirmation you get that the big bad's dead is from the single most fallible character in the entire expansion.

Another thing that went nowhere and ends up being retconned as a ruse: Marr and Satele's whole "new force paradigm of balance."

Is it possible to save Vaylin rather than running her through?

Really wish I had chosen Emperor rather than Peacekeeper. I figured the Emperor choice would have zero nuance and be all about kicking puppies so I went with Peacekeeper, but what I really wanted was for my SW to be a sane and benevolent dictator.

If you replay a chapter do your new choices stick?

If you think about it, it's really interesting how SoR directly mirrors and foreshadows KOTFE by having Revan create this coalition where Repubs and Imps are working in harmony to defeat the Emperor, and your dudes are like "no that's just what he wants thousands of lives!" And then you go through the trouble to defeat Revan to prevent the resurrection of the Emperor only to find out he was never dead anyway and end up making your own Repub/Imp coalition that kills millions of dudes.

:words:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Chickenwalker posted:

If you replay a chapter do your new choices stick?

From what was officially said on the forums, your first go through's choices are the ones locked in. But considering how many bugs I've seen, I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't the case.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Chickenwalker posted:

What happens if you keep Valk's Ghost Dad in the box? I have a feeling there aren't any other major revelations aside from "Valkorion's even more of a dick than you think! No, really!" Maybe he shows up in the final fight?

You bring him out from the holocron and he destroys himself trying to kill Valkorian, but manages to 'pierce his defences'. Then you do the usual bit with Vaylin and use the holocron to free her spirit from his control etc.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

I'm mostly disappointed they didn't do anything with the cocoon thing in the Gravestone Dark Sanctuary. They didn't even hand wave it away...just nothing. When you go to the Dark Sanctuary to disarm the bomb I just knew it was about to go down but nope. Like Vitiate's real body is in there and you manage to pull him out of your mind and make him mortal again.

On an unrelated note I really, really want a "warp to Stronghold" hotkey.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

sassassin posted:

Congrats on your basic reading comprehension skills?

Quesh has an arbitrary check where you need to be level 33 to go down, even though the game is so easy nothing there can kill me below that.
]

hahaha during my 10 minutes on Quesh for the story line I hit level 67, and Medullah has already teased me for my slow leveling :v:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bilirubin posted:

hahaha during my 10 minutes on Quesh for the story line I hit level 67, and Medullah has already teased me for my slow leveling :v:

Have you been playing the character for a long time?

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Is the Mastery crystal better than Crit? I don't know how stats work.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

sassassin posted:

Have you been playing the character for a long time?

No, started it a few weeks ago (so have the DvL bonus for most of it). I only play for a bit here and there. I have only been doing heroics, class story, and planet story from time to time

I'm a bad MMO player

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

No, started it a few weeks ago (so have the DvL bonus for most of it). I only play for a bit here and there. I have only been doing heroics, class story, and planet story from time to time

I'm a bad MMO player

Without the DvL bonus you'd be around 37 right now anyway, which is right where you should be on Quesh so you're doing just fine.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Turbl posted:

Is the Mastery crystal better than Crit? I don't know how stats work.

No. Long story short, "primary" and "secondary" stats like Mastery, Power and Endurance have diminishing returns the higher the number is. With the base stats being as high as they are, primary stats are already so high that +41 is pretty much nothing. "Tertiary" stats like Crit have a much more forgiving return - not to mention that since 4.0 Crit is also Crit multiplier. So Crit will almost always be the better crystal. I would even say that for Tanks it's better at this point, as +41 Endurance is almost nothing in the grand scheme of things.

The other factor is level sync - no matter what your primary and secondary stats are, they'll be scaled down to the level of the planet you're on. Tertiary stats like Crit and Alacrity are not scaled down. This is why (in PvE) Crit took the place of Power and Mastery for augments and crystals.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
For replacing the guy for going against his boss,and then eventually doing the same thing ourselves...You'd think Lord Scourge would have a part in all of this.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I don't understand a single thing going on in Rishi. I might have to start fresh and bring myself up to speed on the storyline. :psyduck:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rishi is basically the second part of the Shadow of Revan storyline. The only real storyline that you should do first to understand it is the Prelude to Shadow of Revan, which is 4 flashpoints with a few cinematics tied in between them. The vanilla stories aren't really tied to it, with the only real exception being the Taral V/Maelstrom Prison and Boarding Party/Foundry flashpoints.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Medullah posted:

Rishi is basically the second part of the Shadow of Revan storyline. The only real storyline that you should do first to understand it is the Prelude to Shadow of Revan, which is 4 flashpoints with a few cinematics tied in between them. The vanilla stories aren't really tied to it, with the only real exception being the Taral V/Maelstrom Prison and Boarding Party/Foundry flashpoints.

Yeah, things are all over the place which is throwing me off. I can access Rishi, the Shadow of Revan prelude, Oricron and a couple of other things I assume are Hutt related. My character somehow jumped to 65 despite not touching her since the vanilla storyline.

I need to do some reading and get this straight in my head.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

I'm mostly disappointed they didn't do anything with the cocoon thing in the Gravestone Dark Sanctuary. They didn't even hand wave it away...just nothing. When you go to the Dark Sanctuary to disarm the bomb I just knew it was about to go down but nope. Like Vitiate's real body is in there and you manage to pull him out of your mind and make him mortal again.

Yeah I'm almost tempted to tweet to the writers and ask if it's something that had to be cut for time, because the momentum of the chapter definitely made it feel like it was going to be addressed.

Now that I've completed probably the only big content release for 6 months or more, what's there to do? Are they saying they're going to be dripping out little bits of multiplayer stuff throughout the year or what?

And I can definitely see how they would progress the single player stuff from here, but I feel like it's going to require an approach like Mass Effect: Andromeda where it's a departure from the established myth that puts us in conflict with never-before-seen enemies. Or if we're unlucky, the loving Vong.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

poptart_fairy posted:

I don't understand a single thing going on in Rishi. I might have to start fresh and bring myself up to speed on the storyline. :psyduck:

Yarr ye Red Hulls be intruding where they arrrrrrrrrren't desirrrrrrred. Shiver me mouse droids

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Speaking of stats, is there a minimum number for Accuracy or any other stats that should be aimed for? I've just been equipping what I've had dropping along the way on my SW Immortal, with some prioritization of Shield and Absorb but I'm not sure if for the rest of the roster there's anything I need to be thinking about.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

rantmo posted:

Speaking of stats, is there a minimum number for Accuracy or any other stats that should be aimed for? I've just been equipping what I've had dropping along the way on my SW Immortal, with some prioritization of Shield and Absorb but I'm not sure if for the rest of the roster there's anything I need to be thinking about.

Tanks need zero accuracy - their passive stance gives them 110%. DPS should (at endgame only, don't worry about stats when leveling) generally aim for 110%, which with 70 gear is essentially an earpiece and two implants.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Things I did not enjoy: walker combat. I'm just not good at that kind of thing, and always end up getting shot way more than I should. Also, I'm practically unable to move anywhere without some amount of "strafing", and the walkers couldn't do that. :saddowns:

Things I loved way out of proportion: the bonus-quest binoculars in the temple on DK, and the adventure game that happened while you were sneaking around during Vaylin's party. And I could have spent a lot more time clicking on corrupted memories and that kind of thing when you're pretending to be Valkorion towards the end. It felt kinda like the story quests in The Secret World. Particularly "The Vanishing of Tyler Freeborn".

Things I was not expecting: I knew they would try to make me feel sympathetic towards Arcann and even Vaylin, but I didn't think they'd actually do a good job of it. And I liked Scorpio's robo-homeworld. Hope we get to return at some point. (What is the connection between the organic thing in the Dark Sanctuary and the similarly-shaped technoliths on Iokath?) And I had not realized just how much I relied on Master Strike/Blade Dance -- now that it's gone, I didn't have any button I could push to get a couple seconds' worth of breathing room. And I felt bad about Torian, which is a victory for the writers, because I never liked him before.

prefect fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 4, 2016

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
Torian is a Mandalorian and his job is to die a glorious death like a Klingon. He shouldn't have even let himself be captured, he should have thrown himself at Vaylin holding a thermal detonator Jace Malcolm-style :colbert:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Medullah posted:

Tanks need zero accuracy - their passive stance gives them 110%. DPS should (at endgame only, don't worry about stats when leveling) generally aim for 110%, which with 70 gear is essentially an earpiece and two implants.

Awesome, thanks. Is there a general rule of thumb for Crit or is that on a role by role basis too?

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

Medullah posted:

Goddamn it this is so stupid. Nobody likes gearing for accuracy and one of Blizzard's best decisions for WoW was dumping hit rating.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

rantmo posted:

Awesome, thanks. Is there a general rule of thumb for Crit or is that on a role by role basis too?

For tanks? Zero crit, zero accuracy, zero alacrity as they compete with defensive stats. We'll have to see what the theorycrafters come up with for Shield/Defense/Absorb ratios for the different tanking classes with 5.0, but the general rule for tanks has been Juggernauts go for higher defense, Powertechs go for higher Shield, and Assassins go for higher Absorb. But again, that's for true endgame activity, if you're just doing basic gameplay and a few raids here and there then it's not a big deal to have "optimal" stats.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

rantmo posted:

Don't go over 39% Crit or 9% Alacrity. If you're where you want to be on Crit/Alac/Acc then the rest goes to Power. Tanks/healers/PvP'ers don't need Acc. Set Bonus always > non set bonus.

ToR gearing in a nutshell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Don't go over 39% Crit or 9% Alacrity. If you're where you want to be on Crit/Alac/Acc then the rest goes to Power. Tanks/healers/PvP'ers don't need Acc. Set Bonus always > non set bonus.

ToR gearing in a nutshell.

I thought Crit was still pretty much "Gimme gimme" since 4.0? That you get enough power from armorings and mods that you don't need to worry about it?

• Locked thread