Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Not a Step posted:

Latinks is marginally better than Latin-ats (latin@) I guess, but its still kind a dumb thing. Why not just drop the gendered ending altogether and go with Latin instead of some weird neologism if its a concern?

Because it's special to be special.

Also they don't understand etymology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Pomp posted:

i wanna know why public sentiment isn't already against them

Partly because nobody but the politically active knows about them.

Someone had the opportunity to shine a national spotlight on the issue, but decided it might upset big money donors and triangulated a neutral position instead.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Baloogan posted:

please, sign of hands, who here thought that demographics were destiny?

dumbographics were danksity

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

punk rebel ecks posted:

How do we reconcile with other corporations and companies moving their business elsewhere when we start nationalizing things?

Don't allow them the opportunity to conduct business in the United States or its interests. If they wanna reap the benefits of the biggest economy on the planet, they better start shouldering their responsibilities, the fuckers.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Baloogan posted:

I did, and still basically do. But you need turn-out and not entitlement.

Most minorities wont vote for Trump, but the alternative isn't them voting for your candidate, it's not voting at all.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

oh, they weren't the problem, that i'd admit

but please don't kid yourself that huffpo/wapo/etc were always beneficial to the DNC especially in a case like this

And neither did smug young atheists who think it's a lot more awesome to just lay sick burns and say gods not real, or imply faith is a mental deficiency or something. And you cannot pretend that those do not exist among the progressive wing.

Pomp posted:

i wanna know why public sentiment isn't already against them

An almost loving criminal lack of media attention.

Like many issues, you can trace it back to "modern journalism is a pile of poo poo."

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Don't allow them the opportunity to conduct business in the United States or its interests. If they wanna reap the benefits of the biggest economy on the planet, they better start shouldering their responsibilities, the fuckers.

And how about in a way that doesn't cause a rapidly escalating trade war and a complete crash of the global economy?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

Like many issues, you can trace it back to "modern journalism is a pile of poo poo."

Not a Step posted:

Someone had the opportunity to shine a national spotlight on the issue, but decided it might upset big money donors and triangulated a neutral position instead.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fulchrum posted:

Well it's really, really cold up there and there's no good hotels or bed & breakfast places close; it would be like going into a war zone and what reporter needs that. Plus, the protesters aren't white man children carrying guns so kinda of boring subject matter to start.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Baloogan posted:

:wave:
I greedily chugged that generic kool aid mix

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Baloogan posted:

i was genuinely skeptical at first, but started believing that around the last month of the election season

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

In the upper midwest specifically, if the Democrats aren't at least trying to maintain some ties with more amenable religious denominations they are making a huge mistake. The Evangelical Lutheran Church of America is about as close to a natural religious ally as you'll ever find among mainstream protestants in the area. There are still conservative/liberal splits, but even the conservative faction is opposed to capital punishment, believes in environmental protections/cleanup , and does good work for the poor. The more liberal faction has been dominant in recent years and has successfully instituted the ordaining of LGBT clergy, and allowed pastors to marry same-sex couples.

Aside from that, I've worked with some of their congregations before and there is a good culture there. You find a lot of people there that are naturally drawn to lower-middle class jobs that don't pay especially especially well but do a lot of community good, like public school teachers and social workers.

I've also known too many gay Mormons to write off working with them entirely. Just no Pentecostals.

Edit: Forgot the mention the ELCA also supports universal healthcare for all people, regardless of how it is achieved, as of 2003.

tower time has issued a correction as of 00:07 on Dec 5, 2016

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Baloogan posted:

they always are, but it takes a long drat time

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
The Democrats could very easily embrace religiosity as a cultural cudgel, between Lutherans, Unitarians, black churches, hispanic catholics... There's a lot of religious people out there who want the government to do new testament poo poo, not old testament poo poo. It's a...testament... to how lame the Democrats are at messaging and community engagement. We're literally ivory tower intellectuals who don't talk to anyone but ourselves :negative:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hey, remember how press coverage of Clinton was so totally about the issues, things she said, and literally anything other than "EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS"

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

Hey ballogan what is your recommendation for a good gin to try for someone who has never had said spirit? I trust only the finest drunks.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Baloogan posted:

Not going to lie, i did, but then again, i didn't account for Hillary and her team being insanely incompetent.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
That 2 and a half hour HRC-Trump team meeting is incredibly illuminating and I recommend giving it a listen.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
oh yeah cool division tactic: kellyanne now blaming bernie for hillarys loss (she also admits trump would have lost to bernie or to a hillary-bernie ticket) but again, thats revisionist history and believe its being said as a division tactic imo.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Friends of mine fell to Trump mainly based on their conservative Catholic priests. Apparently theres been a major rift between American Catholics and the more liberal leaning Pope, and the fallout has been increasingly conservative positions.

Unrelated, free trade is only an unmitigated good if you consider workers as an ideal gas able to effortlessly move to new niches and costlessly migrate. That may be slightly more true in cities, but everywhere gets hosed to a certain degree. Also free trade may increase total wealth, but it does nothing for wealth distribution. Tariffs and harsh enforcement of taxation may not be the worst thing ever. Sure it might destroy some wealth and be less efficient, but none of that cash was really accruing to workers anyway, so gently caress it. Leys protect local industry with staggeringly unfair tariffs and gently caress the rest of the world. USA #1.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

AceRimmer posted:

That 2 and a half hour HRC-Trump team meeting is incredibly illuminating and I recommend giving it a listen.

Link?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Baloogan posted:

The argument for it was always pointless. Just because the Democrats dominate the country, does not necessarily mean a large shift to the left. If Hillary Clinton and co. actually succeeded in securing the rich white vote, that wouldn't mean that the rich white people would be pro-working class, that would mean that the Democratic party would partially cater to their needs.

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

What would this legislation look like?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Please enjoy http://iop.harvard.edu/get-inspired/campaign-managers-conference/campaign-president-managers-look-2016

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

tower time posted:

Hey ballogan what is your recommendation for a good gin to try for someone who has never had said spirit? I trust only the finest drunks.

not a baloogan but I've drank shitloads of martinis and here's my recs:

no 3 london if you're able to afford the expensive poo poo

otherwise martin millers is pretty good

gordon's is alright if you want just the occasional gin and tonic

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Concerned Citizen posted:

not only does that not solve the problem (this is not 1935, many infrastructure jobs are skilled labor) but the past 8 years have seen coal-related jobs shed 83,000 jobs across the country. these are $70,000 a year jobs and people here are talking about replacing them with hourly jobs. that's not gonna win the loyalties of west virginians.

while it's not "literally impossible" and i think at the end of the day this sort of program would be useful, the total cost over the lifetime of a program to raise the standard of living in the appalachian region would almost certainly be one of the largest social programs in us history, if not the largest. and even still, these sorts of public works programs are stop-gaps but not long term solutions. the entire region won't be employed by the us government, and finding a diverse array of industry willing to build and locate in this area will be challenging, and there's no clear road map.

TVA II or bust

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fulchrum posted:

Hey, remember how press coverage of Clinton was so totally about the issues, things she said, and literally anything other than "EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS"

you're right, she was a terrible candidate.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

What would this legislation look like?

First you redefine outsourcing as economic terrorism and then you drone strike the owners and CEO:s of companies who are guilty of the practise.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Use the UN to pass international laws about tax evasion offer bounties in seized assets to the banks that find shell corporations.

And literally arrest ceo's and their family's if they evade taxes.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Huffpo have been drinking again.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/13415916

quote:

The Democrats desperately need a new national party leader, technically the chair of the Democratic National Committee. The current national committee, elected at the last Democratic convention based on the relative strengths of the Clinton and Sanders forces, is narrowly divided, and close to deadlock.

Rep Keith Ellison of Minnesota, co-chair of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, an early favorite after Sanders endorsed him, now appears to be fading. Though Senator Chuck Schumer quickly jumped in and backed Ellison as part of Schumer’s repositioning as a progressive, there is pressure on Schumer and other early supporters to back off.

The biggest problem is that Ellison is a sitting Member of Congress, and national party chair ought to be a full time job. The best recent DNC chair, Howard Dean, who rebuilt a 50-state party in the mid-2000s, wanted the job back, but Sanders vetoed that because he felt Dean had been disrespectful to him. Dean has now dropped out.

Other objections have lately been raised, that Ellison is a Muslim and that he is not friendly to Israel. His religion is the wrong reason to challenge his candidacy, but the latest disclosures of remarks that alienated much of the Jewish community make sink Ellison as a party unifier.

In 2010, it recently emerged, Ellison spoke at a fund-raiser hosted by a past president of the Muslim American society. In the speech, referring to Israel. He declared, “We can’t let another country to treat us like we’re their ATM.” This is not entirely wrong as a description of Israel’s view of U.S. aid, but Ellison added:

“The United States foreign policy in the Middle East is governed by what is good or bad through a country of seven million people [Israel]. A region of 350 million all turns on a country of 7 million. Does that make sense? Is that logic? Right? When the Americans who trace their roots back to those 350 million [Muslims] get involved, everything changes.”

So while it is appalling to have Ellison’s candidacy founder for the sin of criticizing Israel, his language was pretty raw and Ellison is now probably too radioactive to get the job. No other contenders seem to have what it takes.

Here are two outside-the-box ideas for potential people to lead the national Democratic Party. Neither has declared a candidacy. This is just a citizen nomination, from me:

Cecile Richards. The head of national Planned Parenthood, a job she’s held for a decade, is far and away one of the best organizers, on the ground and nationally, in the progressive Democratic universe, as well a prodigious fundraiser for progressive causes, a fighter and a genuine hero.

As a young adult, Richards was a labor organizer in the south. She did a brief stint as an aide to Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi, and then headed a broad get-out-the vote coalition in 2004 called America Votes.

Tom Perez. Obama’s labor secretary and former assistant attorney general in charge of civil rights, is one of the best we’ve got. He is also a superb politician, with no immediate plans after January 20.

Perez is great at connecting to the working class — black, white, Latino. He served as the elected president of the Mongtomery County Council and many of his admirers were disappointed he passed up the chance to run for governor of Maryland.

Both of these leaders are charismatic, in their 50s, widely admired, and good at details as well as at rousing grass roots enthusiasm. As full time party leaders, either could re-energize a party in an understandable funk. None has Democratic enemies.

Both bridge the Clinton/Obama wing of the party with the now ascendant Warren/Sanders wing. Both are somewhat to the left of the Clintons ideologically, though Hillary was a Richards ally as a stalwart on reproductive rights. And Perez was one of the most progressive of Obama’s appointments.

The appointment of either one would sidestep a potentially divisive factional dispute, would look forward rather than backward, and unify the party behind a progressive leader.

As that old typing-drill sentence had it: Now is the time for all good men [and women] to come to the aid of the party. Lord knows, the party needs some fresh leadership.

What say, Cecile and Tom?

For fucks sake, Perez and Richard's aren't even running, or even thinking of running. And they didn't mention Buckley, Hogue or Harrison once.

And how the hell is Ellison fading?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Fulchrum posted:

For fucks sake, Perez and Richard's aren't even running, or even thinking of running. And they didn't mention Buckley, Hogue or Harrison once.

this was strangely, written by a very progressive dude thats buddy buddy with robert reich of all people. no idea wtf hes on.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fulchrum posted:

I actually came here to post this. Certain Clintonite pundits are really desperate to think they're retaining control of the party.

"Cecile Richards Or Tom Perez For DNC Chair" sounds so much more positive than "Not Keith Ellison because *mumble mumble full-time job ADL or something mumble*"

e:

anime was right posted:

this was strangely, written by a very progressive dude thats buddy buddy with robert reich of all people. no idea wtf hes on.

then yeah I dunno what the gently caress. Maybe he's hung up on the Farrakhan stuff.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
not only that, that dude is saying ellison is too toxic for his views on israel even though...... that guy has the same loving views!? wth man.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thank you for the answers everyone!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

I would like to point out that the author of this article wrote Drumpf: The Musical.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Ellison probably should resign his house seat when he wins though. It is a full-time job given the state of the party.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Are we gonna see the Clintonites piss their pants and cry because they're losing control now? :allears:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Pollyanna posted:

Are we gonna see the Clintonites piss their pants and cry because they're losing control now? :allears:

they're too busy wiping their tears with money and footing us with the bill, unfortunately.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

anime was right posted:

I assume that he's convinced that there is a secret Clinton plan in motion to block Ellison like a bunch of people in here. There's a lot of denial that the DNC are about to do a smart thing for once

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pollyanna posted:

I checked and my pants aren't pissed

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Venom Snake posted:

I checked and my pants aren't pissed

Aren't you an ex-clintonista though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

• Locked thread