Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Adding more to my little village of shops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Didn't the original require a chain lift that took 30 min and was at least a kilometer high in order to reach the velocity to kill someone?

http://julijonasurbonas.lt/euthanasia-coaster/

510 meters high, 500 meter drop. Two minute ride to the top.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Adding more to my little village of shops.

That looks pretty cool.

Has anyone figured out how to get a map with terrain into challenge mode yet? It seems like there was a way in either the alpha or beta, but it was 'fixed'.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 2, 2016

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
So apparently 40G is "perfectly survivable". I'm not taking that lying down.

Where is your God now? :colbert:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

MadJackMcJack posted:

So apparently 40G is "perfectly survivable". I'm not taking that lying down.

Where is your God now? :colbert:

If you put a long enough flat slow no G stretch at the bottom of that people will still ride it.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

PoptartsNinja posted:

If you put a long enough flat slow no G stretch at the bottom of that people will still ride it.

Obviously the proper thing to do is hook it into Mr. Bones' Wild Ride.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Dareon posted:

Obviously the proper thing to do is hook it into Mr. Bones' Wild Ride.

At the end, which is when people WANT to die.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qelp7pmjUok

:aaaaa:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
That's more-or-less what I was trying to do, but I couldn't get it dark inside :(

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

holy god

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Colonial Air Force posted:

That's more-or-less what I was trying to do, but I couldn't get it dark inside :(

You have to use terraforming. Terrain is about the only thing that blocks light. Building bits don't, presumably due to processing issues. If thats the case, I'd love it if they had a special light block-ing wall piece you could put down that could then be covered up by other walls.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 3, 2016

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Man, I am seriously poo poo at building coasters. I fired up RCT3 to get back into the groove, and nothing I build goes below 4.9 intensity unless it's literally a tiny banked loop with a little hill in the middle. I'm banking all my turns, and thanks to advice from this thread, I've started getting speed as low as possible at the tops of hills, but it's not helping much.

Those two have nearly identical ratings. The top one manages to maintain a speed of 16-17 MPH throughout, and clocks in at 4.6 intensity and 2-something nausea. Just visible on the left are a pair of tiny loops I built with a cry of "IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT, GAME?" and on the right is a euthanasia coaster that pulls 10 lateral Gs at points and scores 16 intensity and 0.2 excitement. Not visible: A coaster that consists of nothing but a max-height lift hill and a helix down to the ground that also rates 4.6 excitement. :iiam:

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I'm strangely proud of my "mining mountain" which is 4 different rollercoaster intersecting each other and then terraformed to all be inside a mountain.

The terrain tools are almost too good.

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"
Ugh every time I try to build something cool it comes out rectangular! This isn't a criticism of the game, merely of my lovely ability to use the building tools

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

TheGoatFeeder posted:

Ugh every time I try to build something cool it comes out rectangular! This isn't a criticism of the game, merely of my lovely ability to use the building tools

Use multiple rectangles and intersect them, turns a lovely box in to something you can jazz up nice

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
After watching a ton of Silvarret and still not being able to conjure layouts and paths from my own mind, much less the entire building and associated details, the best thing for my understanding was loading up his Suzaku park and just inspecting everything to see how it's constructed. Also examining the really good blueprint buildings from the workshop in the same way. Once I got like 20 minutes of practice in replicating the basics of how he builds it made for a lot less fighting with the interface. I'm still astounded by his sense of landscaping and park layout.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Examining the layouts of real theme parks can help too. (though some parks are not well laid out)

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
How do I decide where to set the prices for my self-constructed rides? I was leaving this crummy log flume at a few bucks over the default price but there's a section with 'max potential income' listed as negative. Does that mean that even if the ride is constantly running at full capacity, it will still lose money?

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

No, that section assumes the ride will be doing exactly the same numbers it is right now forever. It changes a lot.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

UP AND ADAM posted:

After watching a ton of Silvarret and still not being able to conjure layouts and paths from my own mind, much less the entire building and associated details, the best thing for my understanding was loading up his Suzaku park and just inspecting everything to see how it's constructed. Also examining the really good blueprint buildings from the workshop in the same way. Once I got like 20 minutes of practice in replicating the basics of how he builds it made for a lot less fighting with the interface. I'm still astounded by his sense of landscaping and park layout.

Adding onto the frustrations of watching people make this poo poo look easy, are the limitations on the building controls.

"I want to fill in these gaps with vertical 2m metal wall pieces. But those don't exist and forcing larger walls inside eachother is janky looking as gently caress even if I it wouldn't poke out to cover the park entrance, so I'll just take a horizontal 2m piece and... Not be allowed to rotate things vertically. gently caress. Whatever, scrap it, new design."

"Hmm, I can't really conveniently build these reactor shielding bits while attached to building. I'll make this particular decorative selection of parts blueprint separately, and then... not be able to attach it to the building grid."

"Okay, blueprint placed parts can't be attached even if I try selecting blureprints while in edit building mode. Whatever I'll just drag the whole thing... I can't, pasting blueprints turned it into a loose collection of parts. Okay, okay, I'll multi select tool to move these specific parts. THEN, I'll duplicated advanced move-I can't duplicate stuff selected with multi select tool..."

"Okay FINE, I'll just put down another copy of that blueprint and-oh right, have to multi select too to be allowed to move the blueprint after NO DON'T SELECT THE loving PARK BENCHES TOO. Allright I'll slowly CTRL click all the pieces"

"...There, I've got a new bit of decorating done for a bigger version of what I was last working on. I'll fill in this last opening in the top with a fiberflass roof tile that's design matches the reactor shielding edge perfectly. Then color it in to match the reactor pieces-Mother fucker. Why the gently caress can't you recolor fiberglass roof tiles?"

Entirely unrelated. Apparently Fiberglass Roof Flat Corrugated costs $0.00 :v:

EDIT: okay, put the panel flat roof quarter circle's together and... Why am I so drawn to parts that don't match up with eachother :negative:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Dec 4, 2016

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
My park continues to grow, although work is frequently halted due to Watch Dogs 2 actually being good. Still, got some stuff done.

Current plan is to finish off the forts, make a harbour in front of them, and then across the river make a full-blown piratey area. Still, that's miles away right now.

Starting to make a lot more single-shop buildings now, which is proving a lot more flexible for placement.

And then I go and make a complicated fucker like this food court

Also started playing around with entertainment points, which are used to anchor an entertainer to a spot for people to come to them.

He's a creepy motherfucker.

I hope they add more editable-text signs for the pirate theme. The vast majority seem to be western, fairy-tale and generic, which is as shame as I want to do more poo poo like this

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The controls sure take some getting used to, don't they?

I tried to make a pirate :yarr: Chief Beef :yarr: statue by giving him an eyepatch a sword and modifying his hat (somehow), but it just looked bad.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

The Disney parks and Islands of Adventure are pretty great for multi-theme layout inspiration.

If only we had a greater variety of food/shopping options it'd be possible to do an EPCOT thing, where it's half weird theme park and half multi-themed shopping center with some anemic rides.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The controls sure take some getting used to, don't they?

I tried to make a pirate :yarr: Chief Beef :yarr: statue by giving him an eyepatch a sword and modifying his hat (somehow), but it just looked bad.

One of the pirate parks actually did this. :3:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Woo, I finally finished my main Hole-er-coaster! Drill Destroyers is complete! All stats green!

And the final version of Core Sample. It's a bit more interesting now that there's stuff in the hole. The ride actually lasts about 35 seconds, but it feels like it takes about half that.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Core Sample looks terrifying, PTN. How deep is that drop?

Turns out pools are a bit hard to do! It took well over an hour of tweaking to get the terrain and the pool walls to play nice together. The castle wall was relatively easy in comparison. The paths were annoying to set up too (especially mostly symmetrical) but I'm rather pleased with them.

Definitely add me to the "I don't feel like I can create crap" group. :v: Still, I'm mostly just dicking around to get the controls down, so I'm not too worried about results.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Core Sample looks terrifying, PTN. How deep is that drop?

Deep enough to hit the achievement!

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I have a stupid question that might be answered in that pathing tutorial but there's so much information in there I forget things.

Is there a way to make pathing "hug" terrain? Like, I want sloped paths that follow a hill, but I always end up with pathing that just sorta hovers above it until it levels out, then I can make it connect and become usual ground-level pathing.

Do I just need to be a bit more precise with short paths and angle snap turned off?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Boxman posted:

I have a stupid question that might be answered in that pathing tutorial but there's so much information in there I forget things.

Is there a way to make pathing "hug" terrain? Like, I want sloped paths that follow a hill, but I always end up with pathing that just sorta hovers above it until it levels out, then I can make it connect and become usual ground-level pathing.

Do I just need to be a bit more precise with short paths and angle snap turned off?

I don't think you can, but if you happen to find out how, let me know. :v: Paths are my #1 annoyance in this game, they're so frustrating to work with if your terrain is anything but perfectly flat.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Boxman posted:

You need to switch on curved paths (bottom right, advanced settings when placing paths), but even then it's a massive pain in the arse. You can't have the slope more then 15-20 degrees off the ground or the path won't place, so you end up doing a lot of pulling, flattening and smoothing just to get the initial path going. A bit easier afterwards since you can Flatten to Surface from the curved path and make the hill that way, then terraform afterwards. Still prone to to throwing up "Obstructed" too often for my liking though.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Turns out pools are a bit hard to do! It took well over an hour of tweaking to get the terrain and the pool walls to play nice together. The castle wall was relatively easy in comparison. The paths were annoying to set up too (especially mostly symmetrical) but I'm rather pleased with them.

Definitely add me to the "I don't feel like I can create crap" group. :v: Still, I'm mostly just dicking around to get the controls down, so I'm not too worried about results.

Easiest way to do it is to surround the area you want the pool at with a path. That'll make a nice straight line since the terrain tools won't effect land attached to a path. Then you fill her up, sink the walls in, and remove the path.

MadJackMcJack fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Dec 5, 2016

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Is there a way to snap a path that is not 4m wide to a building grid? I've got a building that has an 8m wide archway and I want to run an 8m path through it, but it seems like there's no way to tell it to snap to the building grid without the tool automatically switching to a 4m path.

Alternatively, is there an elegant and easy way to transition from a double 4m path (built with the grid on) to a single 8m path?

And how the hell do I need to terraform the landscape to build a path with steps up it?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ash1138 posted:

Is there a way to snap a path that is not 4m wide to a building grid? I've got a building that has an 8m wide archway and I want to run an 8m path through it, but it seems like there's no way to tell it to snap to the building grid without the tool automatically switching to a 4m path.

Alternatively, is there an elegant and easy way to transition from a double 4m path (built with the grid on) to a single 8m path?

And how the hell do I need to terraform the landscape to build a path with steps up it?

I don't know about the 4m-8m thing, but for the other, from what I've seen you might try building the path to the height you want so you get stairs, then pull the ground up under it. I don't know if that'll just give you a weird trench under the path, though.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
Does chain speed have any impact on the maintenance needs of the ride or does it actually only impact the speed of the coaster? I feel like it might make some sense to assume that a higher chain speed would result in more maintenance needed but don't see any mention of it anywhere, so I suppose it doesn't?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Ash1138 posted:

Set the path to 8m and 1 length, hold down CTRL and place the path inside the archway. Now let go of CTRL and you should be able to join it up nice and neat. With paths though, it's always a crapshoot.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Does that work with the grid enabled?

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
Also, extra question: how do I get guests to complain less about line length? Obviously, make the ride cycle through more guests at a time/more quickly, if at all possible, but otherwise - does a higher queue scenery % improve wait time patience or just the price they're willing to pay?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Just the price, I believe. It's a pretty common question with no real answer, as long as your rides turn a profit you should probably just ignore it.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Ignoranus posted:

Also, extra question: how do I get guests to complain less about line length? Obviously, make the ride cycle through more guests at a time/more quickly, if at all possible, but otherwise - does a higher queue scenery % improve wait time patience or just the price they're willing to pay?

I honestly just ignore people moaning about queue length, if the queue is full it's making bank, I think it's one of those things you can't mitigate. If you change the sequence and make it a shorter ride that tanks the value and people won't pay.

I think the coding for the guests is wonky anyway, they complain about an 8 minute wait time and if you've been to a park you know 8 minutes is gently caress all.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

MadJackMcJack posted:

Starting to make a lot more single-shop buildings now, which is proving a lot more flexible for placement.

:allears: Delightful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
I have to admit that the scenery construction stuff seemed really overwhelming at first but after watching a bunch of tutorials it's starting to become a little clearer. I'm not exactly creative, but at least people aren't complaining about how plain my lines are any more!

Is there any clear guide or rule of thumb for setting up a coaster with a building around the starting platform? The one on that pirate's treasure scenario was kind of cool and I know people have built huge and complex ones. Is there a way to make aligning out with the station not too painful?