Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Happiness posted:

I can do this now if you're available. :shittydog:

Sorry, I just got home from work. I'll be around all night, so just let me know. Sorry to be such a pain!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I just got to the fourth island and I gotta say, I really like the sense of history Alola has. Other gens had ancient pokemon and stuff, but Alola has a more immediate past. It helps that the Island Trials are a rite of passage, and so the characters can be linked through that such as Kukui and Guzma. It's also interesting that the games that have a large focus on tradition are the least traditional games.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Guys I have two 4 IV dittos, I've given one a destiny knot. What's the process for making the children 6 IV's? Breed and switch a Ditto out when I get a 5 IV and so forth? Please tell me both dittos don't need a destiny knot I can't grind that many battle royale matches again.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I had to hatch some more eggs to get the IV checker thing, so I bred up some timid Cutieflies. One had a fantastic Speed IV and another had a Fantastic Special Attack IV.

I've never bred for IVs before, but I think I'm tempted to start.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Axel Serenity posted:

I think this is where people are getting held up, to be honest. Usually, character design has nothing to do with any kind of in-game text. Designers tend to take inspiration from other designers, not from the writing team. It's very likely the art team wanted to draw comparisons between the game's main characters, but that is not likely to be reinforced anywhere in actual game text. That's just not how art design works. Most of those teams on a project are too segmented from each other and only interact to make sure things are incredibly messed up (that's why the Directors are there: to relay overall intent and vision between the teams).

I mean... maybe, especially if you were trying to ensure that similar things were congruent, but "well we decided to make these wacky crazy pokemon that are going to be v. important to the main plot although we don't quite know how yet, look like the main human characters, for no reason" isn't really something I think too likely. Also that kind of goes back on your point of deliberate designs- now they maybe resemble human characters because the artist thought it'd be cool?

The comparisons between some of the ultra beasts and some of the characters is very much 100% intentional, and is pretty core to the story- that's something they would have been working on early on and heavily coordinating the design and writing teams for, not really a thing that the art team would do just because. That also doesn't mean that every ultra beast is supposed to be reminiscent of a character, especially when the cases presented in that image are pretty weak.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I can see it with Guzma, but not Gladion or Hala. The only design connection Gladion has with Buzzwole is the color scheme, and it would have to be inverted.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I thought I heard somewhere that having an Alolan form hold an Everstone and breeding would result in a Kanto-native coming out of the egg.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

JackDarko posted:

Guys I have two 4 IV dittos, I've given one a destiny knot. What's the process for making the children 6 IV's? Breed and switch a Ditto out when I get a 5 IV and so forth? Please tell me both dittos don't need a destiny knot I can't grind that many battle royale matches again.
Only one parent needs a Destiny Knot, because it just makes five IVs rather than 3 get inherited... but Ditto can't breed with Ditto?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Alxprit posted:

I thought I heard somewhere that having an Alolan form hold an Everstone and breeding would result in a Kanto-native coming out of the egg.

One of the parents has to be in its Kanto form for that to work. Which isn't possible until Pokebank gets updated.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
OK so Ditto can't breed with itself, good to know. This just got harder.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Alxprit posted:

If this were true, it would be awfully difficult to breed alolan pokemon with specific natures, wouldn't it?

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012
I got a castform for trading an Oranguru. Apparently those are still pretty hard to get. Found one on this run as my second post trail encounter. Not sure if modest is a decent nature but meh.

Anyone know if the language of your game affects Masuda Method? I have a NA 3DS with NA Moon, I'm playing my game in ESP but I am noticing that they are marking ING for English speaking players' pokemon. If I breed one of those ING with a none ESP does that mean I get on the Masuda train or bc I'm playing NA it doesn't count?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

cancerianmoth posted:

Anyone know if the language of your game affects Masuda Method? I have a NA 3DS with NA Moon, I'm playing my game in ESP but I am noticing that they are marking ING for English speaking players' pokemon. If I breed one of those ING with a none ESP does that mean I get on the Masuda train or bc I'm playing NA it doesn't count?
Masuda method works entirely off the language you're playing in. You're good to get an English ditto and call it a day.

(If you want to confirm that, go find another spanish pokemon on GTS and notice it's not marked "ESP" :eng101:)

e: Eelektross get. Level fuckin 55, so I had to send out a False Swiper, attack until it died, switch in Parasect to Spore without taking more than one hit, and then chuck BBs. Worth it, I guess. One less piece of poo poo to care about.
e2: oh man that was my 69th :wink:

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 5, 2016

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.

Giant Boy Detective posted:

I'm around and ready to trade whenever you are!

Alrighy cool, I'm actually on now! And I got a better Dhelmise in the meantime, it's Impish with 4IVs. I'll head to the Festival Plaza, lemme know when you're ready!

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Masuda method works entirely off the language you're playing in. You're good to get an English ditto and call it a day.

(If you want to confirm that, go find another spanish pokemon on GTS and notice it's not marked "ESP" :eng101:)

Ok. Cool. Perks of knowing another language. So much easier to get into masuda when all the players you end up trading with are ING/JPN. Got a few pokemon lined up that I can't wait to go on that terrible journey of shiney hunting then leveling to 100 bc I know they are gonna have bad IV's.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
As a complete aside: alolan raichu firing charge beams from their feet will never stop being hilarious.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Daeren posted:

Dear Battle Royale at large:

I'm going to give you a bit of advice from some dumbass wearing neon pink mirror shades and a tank top with a private investigator's face on it. I realize it's easy to get tunnel vision when you hit the mat and there's a Zygarde and a Lunala staring at you. I get it, it's real easy to spend a turn or two overlooking the little Mimikyu hanging around with the guy wearing the clown shoes outfit.

This is a huge mistake.

The iconic tee is of Oak though. Unless there's a Looker tee out there in which case how to cop

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.
Thanks for the Stufful and Bounsweet, GBD! I'm gonna make Lovely Legs big 'n strong. :3:

Happiness
Oct 10, 2004

Rainuwastaken posted:

Sorry, I just got home from work. I'll be around all night, so just let me know. Sorry to be such a pain!

I'll have the Plaza open, so whenever you're ready.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Blaine the Train posted:

Thanks for the Stufful and Bounsweet, GBD! I'm gonna make Lovely Legs big 'n strong. :3:

And thank your for the excellent Dhelmise and Pichu! Rest assured they will be very busy in the nursery. :quagmire:

e: After the Pichu is of age. :v:

Squats fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 5, 2016

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Giant Boy Detective posted:

And thank your for the excellent Dhelmise and Pichu! Rest assured they will be very busy in the nursery. :quagmire:

Please don't make that baby gently caress

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Oh lordy, it's even in a beast ball. You're the best, Happiness. :3:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Kiranamos posted:

Please don't make that baby gently caress

Baby Pokémon like Pichu are inable to breed.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

CherryCat posted:

I now have beast ball Spearows, for absolultely no reason.

It's pretty clever actually; if you carve out a niche of BB Pokemon no one else has, you'll be able to trade them for anything else in a Beast Ball that's much, much more difficult to catch (and will often have egg moves, HA, good IVs and natures). If you start breeding those, I don't mind trading like 2 or 3 of my own for it just to advance my own collection and spread the green.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Nessa posted:

I had to hatch some more eggs to get the IV checker thing, so I bred up some timid Cutieflies. One had a fantastic Speed IV and another had a Fantastic Special Attack IV.

I've never bred for IVs before, but I think I'm tempted to start.

Chaining makes it easier than ever! I bred the best 'mon I've ever bred in Sun by combining a 3IV Ditto with a 4IV Espeon--it's a Timid Jolteon with 5IVs and Very Good Attack. I think breeding for IVs is fun now (and just in time for it not to be fully necessary, haha).

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm in the market for a Petilil in an Apricorn Ball (or Beast Ball, if need be). If there's something you'd like in return from the spreadsheet, give me a holler here or on Discord (@Holy Word NUDE TAYNE)

DACK FAYDEN posted:

e: oh, also, who else is doing Island Scan Beast Ball catches today? I wouldn't mind coordinating. Don't want to waste my Sunday on a dupe.
I'm considering getting the Eelektross in a couple minutes.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So..you can buy more quick balls, huh?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

spit on my clit posted:

So..you can buy more quick balls, huh?

Yep, Route 8 Pokecenter.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
If you're going to start breeding for IVs, your absolute first priority should be getting your hands on one of those Japanese shiny 6IV Dittos that are floating around. It'll save you a lot of time and effort.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I wonder traded a synch abra for a synch abra

except mine was docile and I got a jolly in return so win for me

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Whose idea was it to make getting a destiny knot so much of a pain in the arse? That person sucks.

I thought it was bad enough in ORAS but forcing you to play this slow laggy boring rear end Royale battle mode for hours is way worse.

Am I better off running a full party of Pickup 'mons and hoping to get lucky instead?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Fellblade posted:

Am I better off running a full party of Pickup 'mons and hoping to get lucky instead?

Yes. It might take you hours, or even a few days, but it's miles better for your blood pressure than Royal.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I've just realized that you can create multiple Zygardes in a game, making my amassment of 28 Zygardes a bit of a hollow victory.

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
I'm getting annoyed with the GTS, I deposited a Pheromosa in exchange for Buzzwole and nothing. Yet when I search for Buzzwole they all want Pheromosas and when I try to exchange they're already traded.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

CherryCat posted:

I'm getting annoyed with the GTS, I deposited a Pheromosa in exchange for Buzzwole and nothing. Yet when I search for Buzzwole they all want Pheromosas and when I try to exchange they're already traded.

Remember the 3 Rs of depositing on the GTS: Relist, Relist, Relist.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Mazerunner posted:

sun/moon is seriously the best pokemon gen

yes, even better than your favorite, whichever that was

the new pokemon are actually great, and megas were kind of dumb.

It's good, but it's hard to believe how poorly it runs on original 3DS.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
The new rules for parents passing down their Poké Ball are nice. I experimented by crossing a hidden ability female Gible in a standard ball and a male Gible in a lure ball. Sure enough, I've gotten baby hidden ability Gible in lure balls!

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CherryCat posted:

I will trade you.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

That Old Ganon posted:

I'm considering getting the Eelektross in a couple minutes.
Already got it in BB if you want it! I picked up some stuff off GTS too. I'm winning the green cell count :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Already got it in BB if you want it! I picked up some stuff off GTS too. I'm winning the green cell count :v:
Just kidding, I'll get the Rhyhorn then.