Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Finding out Negan was a gas station attendant pre-apocalypse would be interesting even if they gave us nothing else at all because at least we could fill in the gaps wondering how he got to this point. They haven't done that with really any of the characters though, we know almost nothing about them and they just barely even have personalities.

I think part of the problem is the main content creator is a neckbeard whose only literary frame of reference seems to be schlock. Which would be fine if they really embraced stuff like the silliness of episode 2 and kung fu Jesus etc but it tries to be some heavy character drama and they just don't understand how to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I want Negan to be a kindergarten teacher

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I want Negan to be a yoga instructor. But alas, he's gonna be self-employed as a marriage counselor or someshit

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Nothing seems to matter on this show. Negan was hyped for 2 seasons and now he is on the show and people just want to see him dead and move on to the next thing.

I guess I dont really want to see him die, I'm just tired of every episode being 100% misery now.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

ddiddles posted:

I guess I dont really want to see him die, I'm just tired of every episode being 100% misery now.

That's why I enjoyed episode 2 so much with The Kingdom. I even liked last week's episode with Tara because at least Tara's still quirky and fun.

I don't need the whole show to be like that, which is what people seem to assume anytime I bring it up in discussions elsewhere, but having everything be so grim all the time just gets old. I like having breaks from that.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Nothing seems to matter on this show. Negan was hyped for 2 seasons and now he is on the show and people just want to see him dead and move on to the next thing.

Negan would be a lot more compelling is his entire range was a little better than "grin whilst making threats". That's kinda good the first time it's on screen.
Less so when it's on screen for 5 minutes.
Less so when it's been on screen about an hour or so by now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The governor was a good villain by the way.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Acacia REI posted:

That's why I enjoyed episode 2 so much with The Kingdom. I even liked last week's episode with Tara because at least Tara's still quirky and fun.

I don't need the whole show to be like that, which is what people seem to assume anytime I bring it up in discussions elsewhere, but having everything be so grim all the time just gets old. I like having breaks from that.

Tara being quirky and fun makes me happy because not only is it refreshing, it is generally how people function- personality is behavior trends over a long period of time, and so often fiction gives into sudden personality changes like it is something that happens all the loving time. I like that she gets sad but is still capable of being happy. She may have been a little too quirky in the face of being shot to death, but I'm fine writing it off as a defense mechanism.

This whole season feels disjointed, like I've watched six pilot episodes for shows set in the Walking Dead universe. Kingdom of the Walking Dead, Monsters of the Walking Dead, Sad Town of Sad People of the Walking Dead, and now MRA Nightmare of the Walking Dead.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

That too. I actually just really like the way she's written in general. She just seems more relatable to me than most of the characters. Morgan and Tara are probably my favorite characters in the show. I mean Morgan's little "All life is precious - including the homicidal psychopaths who just slaughtered half of our settlement and are actively trying to murder the rest" arc was a little off-putting, but I knew it wouldn't last long and in context of everything he'd been through up to that point, it didn't really bother me that much.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Parity warning posted:

Finding out Negan was a gas station attendant pre-apocalypse would be interesting even if they gave us nothing else at all because at least we could fill in the gaps wondering how he got to this point. They haven't done that with really any of the characters though, we know almost nothing about them and they just barely even have personalities.

I think part of the problem is the main content creator is a neckbeard whose only literary frame of reference seems to be schlock. Which would be fine if they really embraced stuff like the silliness of episode 2 and kung fu Jesus etc but it tries to be some heavy character drama and they just don't understand how to do it.

You're in luck, that neckbeard has actually made a Negan backstory minicomic called "Here's Negan" and his pre-apocalypse job is about the only thing it has divulged so far. It's spoiler free too.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

vyst posted:

I want Negan to be a kindergarten teacher

High school drama teacher.

It would explain all his amateur theatrics, coordinated whistling which was clearly rehearsed, etc. :v:

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Astroman posted:

High school drama teacher.

It would explain all his amateur theatrics, coordinated whistling which was clearly rehearsed, etc. :v:

Bonus points if this tied in with Ezekiel and his community theater work, explaining why the Kingdom seems to get such a nice deal comparatively.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Acacia REI posted:

That too. I actually just really like the way she's written in general. She just seems more relatable to me than most of the characters. Morgan and Tara are probably my favorite characters in the show. I mean Morgan's little "All life is precious - including the homicidal psychopaths who just slaughtered half of our settlement and are actively trying to murder the rest" arc was a little off-putting, but I knew it wouldn't last long and in context of everything he'd been through up to that point, it didn't really bother me that much.

Absolutes like "All Life is Precious" are probably more appealing to someone going through an absolute breakdown. The fact it is a world defined by death not just being inevitable, but also aggressively opposed to life can't hurt it either.

Morgan failed to understand that there was a fundamental difference between him and The Wolf, that The Wolf wasn't crazy. He chose to be a piece of poo poo.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

so is tonight gonna be a Heath episode?

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Orange Red Bull posted:

so is tonight gonna be a Heath episode?

He comes across a community that's all men. Nobody killed all their women, they're MRAs. When they find out Heath comes from a community with women they decide to kill him.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Someone wants to be Omar but with Zombies.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
My whistling's on the nose
Its message on the nose
When it comes to subtlety
This scene it really blows!

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
OMAR COMIN

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Leaving a trail of log cabin syrup. No one will suspect it

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS. JESUS.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Carl why would you betray Jesus like that?

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Whoo, I loved this scene in the comics.

Edit: It was cooler in the comics.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

God dammit Coral.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Why did he not pull the trigger as soon as he saw negan?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Because then Negan would be dead, and that's not what happened in the comics. For a real reason? No idea! :v:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Because that would make too much sense.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

At least have them do the fake Negan thing where they call someone Negan in the shadows so Carl pops a few people and is taken down by surprise.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

in a shocking turn of events- coooorl hosed up his ambush :cripes:

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

IIRC he ran out of ammo in the comics before Negan showed up, but it's been awhile.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Don't be scared of me it's a disappointment

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

oh poo poo

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I wonder what Eugene's forum account was.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Carl should mention that he gave up on a woman for his bad revenge plan.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
Totally grossed out.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Negan Harem

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I wonder what Eugene's forum account was.

It could literally be any one of the 196,943 accounts.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

JossiRossi posted:

It could literally be any one of the 196,943 accounts.

Eugene probably has a couple parachute accounts too.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Carl. Hold my beer and watch this.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

some of these girls look kinda young :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
This show would make more sense if they just said the group has survived by divine providence rather than by their skill or decision making.