Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I watched my first episode of Flash this season because of the crossover. I see that Barry is still the worst goddamn superhero that ever lived and is constantly screwing up everything he touches. Good for him. There's something to be said for a hero with flaws. Not much to be said for a hero that's all flaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I appreciate the CW crossover going balls out crazy from the get go. I thought after Supergirl's 30-second "crossover" that all the shows would do their own thing with only the loosest of threads bringing them together but this just goes "HAVEN'T BEEN WATCHING ALL FOUR SHOWS? gently caress YOU LET'S GO."

Which is good because I actually willingly subjected myself to the shitshow of caught up with Legends of Tomorrow so all Stein's poo poo didn't feel out of nowhere.

Also literally any of the LoT cast lecturing Barry about loving with the timestream is the worst case a pot calling a kettle black possible.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I liked how the crossover went hog wild with character interactions, which is always the highlight of these things, and that made it a lot of fun to watch. That said, the stupidity of the characters shone through right from the get-go with the episode opening with Ollie shouting "YOU REALLY DID IT THIS TIME BARRY". Then Sara lecturing Barry about changing history when she tried to assassinate Dahrk in the past just two weeks ago, and Oliver apparently thinking this is all okay because eh he would have done the same thing. And why didn't the aliens leave anyone guarding the orb?

I also like how all of Team Arrow was basically "I hate everything that has to do with Barry," especially with Ollie going "is there another evil speedster you need help with?"

Edit: also couldn't Barry be assed to subdue Felicity's boyfriend or whatever while he was busy saving them?

Argue fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Nov 30, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That was Vigilante, the DA.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Okay, so I can understand people being upset because Barry fucks with the timeline and changes things. I can understand Sara being upset because she'd like Laurel to be alive. I can understand Cisco being mad because Flashpoint killed his brother (though really his "I'M MAD ABOUT IT" moving to them being cool moving to "NO I CAN'T FORGIVE YOU" is getting old).

But of all people, DIGGLE has the least amount to be angry about. "I had a DAUGHTER!?" Dude you have a loving son now. Of all the people that had their lives hosed with by Barry's time travel shenanigans, the only thing that changed for you was the sex of your kid. It's not like he MURDERED YOUR DAUGHTER and you had to have a second kid, you just had a boy instead of a girl.

I really was expecting Oliver's retelling of his mom and dad's deaths to be different due to Flashpoint. It seems like he's had nothing change in his life due to Barry?

Also lol at Kara going "I'll always trust you, Barry!" You've met him ONE TIME. (though honestly I think Kara and Barry are adorable together)

Tensokuu fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 30, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, he murdered his daughter.

I'm pretty sure timeline erasure would hold up in court as murder.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Yes, Dig has a son he loves and has known but that's some serious existential crisis poo poo. Somewhere he had a daughter. A daughter he would have loved and was a part of him but was literally erased. Not even dead, simply condemned to non-existence now. Dig has been shown to be pretty grounded - that sort of thought is seriously going to gently caress with him.

Diggle's reaction felt really legitimate for me.

It's actually the creepy undercurrent of most time travel media that never gets touched on. Marty McFly overwrite a version of Marty that grew up in a happy, together household, who had his own life and own experiences totally different than the Marty we follow, and he just vanishes one day to be replaced by a slacker.

Crossover chat: Benoist is too good for all these chucklefucks. Except Purcell, maybe. He's one note as hell but sells it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mortanis posted:

Yes, Dig has a son he loves and has known but that's some serious existential crisis poo poo. Somewhere he had a daughter. A daughter he would have loved and was a part of him but was literally erased. Not even dead, simply condemned to non-existence now. Dig has been shown to be pretty grounded - that sort of thought is seriously going to gently caress with him.

It's actually the creepy undercurrent of most time travel media that never gets touched on. Marty McFly overwrite a version of Marty that grew up in a happy, together household, who had his own life and own experiences totally different than the Marty we follow, and he just vanishes one day to be replaced by a slacker.

Crossover chat: Benoist is too good for all these chucklefucks. Except Purcell, maybe. He's one note as hell but sells it.

See also Wolverine in Days of Future Past

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Mortanis posted:

Put together Marty actually went back in time from the lone pine mall, was a better driver, didn't interfere with the past, hid in Doc's garage until the lightning storm and successfully went back to the future where he woke up with loser parents and found out his new truck had been totalled, and that it was the twin pine mall now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The BTTF comics are dealing with that stuff right now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The back to the future point and click adventure game touched upon the ethics of time travel a little bit when a Doc Brown from an alternate future who ran a benevolent dictatorship with his wife was opposed to restoring the "proper" timeline because in that one his wife was alone and miserable.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tensokuu posted:

I really was expecting Oliver's retelling of his mom and dad's deaths to be different due to Flashpoint. It seems like he's had nothing change in his life due to Barry?

Literally the entire time Oliver was talking I was waiting with baited breath like "oh poo poo his story's gonna be different" but it never happened.

But as cathartic as it is to see everyone poo poo on Barry for half the episode, I'm kinda glad they had Oliver there to say "Hey man, if I could turn back time I'd do that poo poo too" because c'mon, most people would.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In tonight's episode we'll see Ollie take Digg aside and talk about how hosed up what Barry did was.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

The back to the future point and click adventure game touched upon the ethics of time travel a little bit when a Doc Brown from an alternate future who ran a benevolent dictatorship with his wife was opposed to restoring the "proper" timeline because in that one his wife was alone and miserable.

The game also did a good job of making said wife a clear antagonist, but at least until the timeline split, she's mostly just preachy but has good qualities like caring for the homeless and trying to do real journalism even though she's basically just Hill Valley's gossip columnist, so you can see where Doc's coming from.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Confirmed on the last part of the crossover: Barry Allen is the worst person in the entire universe. So bad that he got the President of the United States murdered by aliens.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

X-O posted:

Confirmed on the last part of the crossover: Barry Allen is the worst person in the entire universe. So bad that he got the President of the United States murdered by aliens.

Well, soon we might wish for that scenario...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
You know I started off feeling a lot of schadenfreude seeing everyone just dunk on Barry but by the end I just kind of got tired of it. Like, Jesus, I get it, Flashpoint is bad and it affected people badly but drat, the poor bastard had to drop off his mother's killer on his porch and ask him to re-do the deed, it's not like he got off scot-free. Having everyone call him out was nice, having professional time fuckups the Legends of Tomorrow call him out was reaching, and then having loving aliens call him a dangerous awful threat to reality... come on, guys, drop it, it's done.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

This week's SHIELD was pretty great. The Fitz-Simmons drama was a bit mediocre but everything else was great. I'm glad that they didn't drag out the whole out-of-phase thing, it worked quite well in the episode showing the scenes from the two different perspectives. Mac getting the Spirit of Vengeance was a really brilliant moment too.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

In what should already be obvious for everyone who watched it, Luke Cage has in fact been confirmed for Season 2.

I wonder if this means that they're going to up their production schedules to 4 shows a year.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Scyantific posted:

In what should already be obvious for everyone who watched it, Luke Cage has in fact been confirmed for Season 2.

I wonder if this means that they're going to up their production schedules to 4 shows a year.

They could do that if they just knocked all season down to 8 episodes or so. Which still would've been too much for Luke Cage. The more I think about it, the more I hated the last half of the entire season. There's some good moments but not nearly enough.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Scyantific posted:

With 3, they could do DD, JJ and LC in 2018. Personally, I don't think Iron Fist needs his own show on a yearly basis. I think JJ and LC season 2 should set up Heroes for Hire, and then in 2019 the three shows could be merged opening up the schedule for other stuff.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

ToastyPotato posted:

With 3, they could do DD, JJ and LC in 2018. Personally, I don't think Iron Fist needs his own show on a yearly basis. I think JJ and LC season 2 should set up Heroes for Hire, and then in 2019 the three shows could be merged opening up the schedule for other stuff.

Doesn't Punisher have his own show too?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

StumblyWumbly posted:

Doesn't Punisher have his own show too?

Yeah, and I think it's first in line after Defenders.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, and I think it's first in line after Defenders.

It started shooting before Defenders, oddly, I believe.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

It started shooting before Defenders, oddly, I believe.

Well that is what he tends to do.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Iron Fist is Spring 2017

Defenders is late Summer 2017

Punisher is "after Defenders."

Unlikely that they are going for 4 shows per year. For next year at least.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

:vince:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Aphrodite posted:

*smack* magnifique!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Scott Buck is showrunning Inhumans after Iron Fist, so I hope you all liked those last few seasons of Dexter!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/marvels-inhumans-sets-dexter-grad-as-showrunner-947311

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

With him being the showrunner on Iron Fist and consultant on Defenders I wonder if that means that Inhumans might tie in with the Netflix shows somehow.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

Scott Buck is showrunning Inhumans after Iron Fist, so I hope you all liked those last few seasons of Dexter!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/marvels-inhumans-sets-dexter-grad-as-showrunner-947311

Didn't Jessica Jones' showrunner also work on the last few seasons of Dexter? I didn't think JJ was bad and was overall impressed and it definitely isn't on anywhere near as bad as Dexter had become by its end.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, she left after season 4.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

With him being the showrunner on Iron Fist and consultant on Defenders I wonder if that means that Inhumans might tie in with the Netflix shows somehow.

I doubt there will be any connection. People are allowed to work on multiple shows.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

X-O posted:

We don't know the release date for Defenders yet right? With it being sandwiched between the two normal Netflix release slots, might it fall fairly close to the Inhumans premier in September?

And if it does cross over, I have to wonder if Inhumans might be the bridge that brings Netflix and SHIELD in line with each other.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The Defenders must investigate a strange new drug on the market...Inhuman Growth Hormone.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

What did every one think of that CW crossover?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Next year's needs to include the full cast of Supergirl.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

howe_sam posted:

Next year's needs to include the full cast of Supergirl.

Or maybe actually cross over onto Supergirl maybe.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

omg chael crash posted:

It was alright, but it was totally only 3 episodes and not 4. The SG episode was a cop out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

omg chael crash posted:

The Arrow episode was really good, other than that not much. Their heads have gotten too big to the point where their pocketbooks can't match. Trying for something big like that is admirable, but it ended up being a clear presentation of all of their limitations both budgetary and creatively.

X-O fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 7, 2016