Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Can you summon Ifrit? You get his item but I have never have seen the option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
I think I need to move on with the main quest. I'm level 45 and still on Chapter 3.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

ImpAtom posted:

There are multiple summons but I'm not really clear on what determines which one is summoned.

Actually, I am reminded (as a spoilery thing) At one point Gladiolus says that the empire killed 3 of the 6. Does anyone know WTF that was about? They killed Shiva but that's 1 of the 6 and the other 5 are all accounted for.

It's really unclear what he means by "kill." I think that Titan, Leviathan and Shiva are certainly dead, but that doesn't stop you from getting their blessing and them appearing in the world, both as a summon for us and just in general like Gentiana. So I'm not really sure what it means, just another example of the game not making sense. Think about the scene on the train when Gentiana shows up. Ardyn sees her and says, "oh it's you. You still are using same face as when we killed you" (or something like that). So the imperials definitely killed her, you even see her big corpse outside. Yet she still lives.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Solid theory.

And incorrect. All of the summons have unique requirements. Ramuh's is just "be out in the field for a while" so he's the most often to pop.

I don't know most of the others. Titan apparently shows up after an extended period of time spend with downed or dead party members.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

For Leviathan to show up you need to be near water.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

It's really unclear what he means by "kill." I think that Titan, Leviathan and Shiva are certainly dead, but that doesn't stop you from getting their blessing and them appearing in the world, both as a summon for us and just in general like Gentiana. So I'm not really sure what it means, just another example of the game not making sense. Think about the scene on the train when Gentiana shows up. Ardyn sees her and says, "oh it's you. You still are using same face as when we killed you" (or something like that). So the imperials definitely killed her, you even see her big corpse outside. Yet she still lives.

See, I assumed that what happened with Shiva is that the Empire killed A Shiva but as we see in her summon she's multiple beings so it basically was them not realizing Shiva was a hive-mind. I honestly didn't realize they killed Leviathan and Titan. How did they even? :psyduck:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MrLonghair posted:

Costlemark Tower completed, rewarding at the end, cool as hell there, hope the DLC expands. I really like it when the game goes "classic FF" in environments and all.

Did you do the bonus part of Costlemark after the locked door?

Oxxidation posted:

And incorrect. All of the summons have unique requirements. Ramuh's is just "be out in the field for a while" so he's the most often to pop.

I don't know most of the others. Titan apparently shows up after an extended period of time spend with downed or dead party members.

Figures. This would be kinda cool if it was communicated to the player in any way. As it is, this is a complete chaotic mess.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

See, I assumed that what happened with Shiva is that the Empire killed A Shiva but as we see in her summon she's multiple beings so it basically was them not realizing Shiva was a hive-mind. I honestly didn't realize they killed Leviathan and Titan. How did they even? :psyduck:

Well, I think we technically killed Leviathan. And you wouldn't know that Titan was killed except for an offhand comment I think one of your party member's makes in Altissia when he says something like "the empire killed Titan to try and stop you from getting his blessing, they are gonna come hard at Leviathan."

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

There are technically 5 summons you can use, but one of them is a one-time storyline-related one that you can't miss. Ramuh is going to be the most common because he just shows up periodically when a battle has been taking a while.

For the others, there are some very specific triggers:

Titan requires an ally to be incapacitated (I think both danger and dead count) and you have to be on the open world in a relatively open space - he seems to show up in the desert areas a lot more, and can't be summoned in a dungeon like Ramuh can)

Leviathan requires Noct to be in danger mode and you have to be near water, so you'll probably never actually see this one unless you go back to an area like Vesperpool or that big lake with the catoblepases and get hurt on purpose.

Shiva supposedly requires all the other triggers to be met at once (long battle, ally incapacitated, Noct incapacitated), so you'll probably see her way less than Ramuh and Titan but more than Leviathan.

However, there seems to be at least some randomness to it too, some people get summons when none of the conditions have been met and I have no idea why.

It's not a great system because it's highly likely that you finish the game without seeing half of them even a single time, but it definitely feels epic as hell when you do.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mikeraskol posted:

Well, I think we technically killed Leviathan. And you wouldn't know that Titan was killed except for an offhand comment I think one of your party member's makes in Altissia when he says something like "the empire killed Titan to try and stop you from getting his blessing, they are gonna come hard at Leviathan."

And yet you still get both their blessings, and can still summon them both. And also the Imperials show up to attack Leviathan in the cutscene... then disappear.

The story in this game is in shambles, even for an FF game. Its still super fun but man none of this is done in a good way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Titan requires an ally to be incapacitated (I think both danger and dead count) and you have to be on the open world in a relatively open space - he seems to show up in the desert areas a lot more, and can't be summoned in a dungeon like Ramuh can)

This is at least slightly inaccurate. I had Titan pop in Insomnia. It actually looked really cool.

Spoiler image!:http://i.imgur.com/jweHMs2.jpg

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

The story in this game is in shambles, even for an FF game. Its still super fun but man none of this is done in a good way.

Oh for sure. Complete shambles. Still love this game though.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

This is at least slightly inaccurate. I had Titan pop in Insomnia. It actually looked really cool.

Spoiler image!:http://i.imgur.com/jweHMs2.jpg

You get a random summon at that point that doesn't adhere to any of the requirements. I had Shiva pop up with a slightly different animation . I think there are a few parts in the story where that can happen, but if you are just roaming around the open world the requirements come into play.

edit: I hope they add a bunch of summons in the DLC, there's so many classic FF gods that would be awesome as hell to see. The summon animations are just great and really convey how powerful they are in a way no other game in the series has even come close to.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 5, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You get a random summon at that point that doesn't adhere to any of the requirements. I had Shiva pop up with a slightly different animation . I think there are a few parts in the story where that can happen, but if you are just roaming around the open world the requirements come into play.

Oh, no, this was prior to that scene, it was when I was fighting the big deathclaw thing and it wiped my entire party except Noct with a laser blast. I had Shiva pop up there too with the altered animation.

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015
Finally finished. Loved the story, but wish it was presented better. Loved that the villain was basically evil jesus but I wish everything had a little more time to breathe.

There were some amazing moments though. The face ardyn makes when Luna tells him "all in thrall to darkness shall know peace" as she's dying and healing him or whatever, conveyed so much. Imagine a game full of moments like that

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Oh, no, this was prior to that scene, it was when I was fighting the big deathclaw thing and it wiped my entire party except Noct with a laser blast. I had Shiva pop up there too with the altered animation.

Huh, weird. I wonder if that whole area just has relaxed rules or something, because I also got to summon Ramuh twice in like 5 minutes there and that's apparently not supposed to happen, since there's some built-in, relatively long timer between being allowed to summon.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I think this Takka quest is broken. He wants me to get Catoblepas brisket but I've done the hunt for it twice now and it only drops the fang, so I dunno where to get this meat at

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Huh, weird. I wonder if that whole area just has relaxed rules or something, because I also got to summon Ramuh twice in like 5 minutes there and that's apparently not supposed to happen, since there's some built-in, relatively long timer between being allowed to summon.

That area having relaxed rules would make a lot of sense. I wouldn't be surprised if you're expected to summon-rush your way through the initial enemy hordes considering some of their relative power levels if you get them at a low level.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I think this Takka quest is broken. He wants me to get Catoblepas brisket but I've done the hunt for it twice now and it only drops the fang, so I dunno where to get this meat at

Let me google that for you :v:

Internet says its RNG. You can get treasures without being on the quest, so its not bugged its just lovely old RNG game design.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Gotta keep killin that thing, it's not a guaranteed drop

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

That area having relaxed rules would make a lot of sense. I wouldn't be surprised if you're expected to summon-rush your way through the initial enemy hordes considering some of their relative power levels if you get them at a low level.

Yeah, I didn't even consider that, but you're probably exactly right. I definitely balked a little when I showed up at level 50 and the first enemy was a level 70-something deathclaw.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The way you summon cutiepup is to get chain-hosed by one of the final encounters in Costlemark :v: got it three times in a row in short succession, what an rear end in a top hat encounter.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I summoned Leviathan during the fight with the Behemoth King. I hope the city did okay with the giant tsunami that its king summoned in the middle of it.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Ethiser posted:

I summoned Leviathan during the fight with the Behemoth King. I hope the city did okay with the giant tsunami that its king summoned in the middle of it.

Summons don't have friendly fire :cmon:

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Yodzilla posted:

I hated the chocobo photography quest. Yeah let's put this in an old boss arena that you can only access through one little hole in a massive walled area and are blocked from the other entrance and oh yeah you can't fast travel out of it because reasons.

too true, I ran all the way around like 320 degrees of that loving area because I went the wrong way and the map resolution is poo poo before saying gently caress it I'll come back to this later. that wins my vote for most frustrating quest I have yet to complete.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

There are technically 5 summons you can use, but one of them is a one-time storyline-related one that you can't miss. Ramuh is going to be the most common because he just shows up periodically when a battle has been taking a while.

For the others, there are some very specific triggers:

Leviathan requires Noct to be in danger mode and you have to be near water, so you'll probably never actually see this one unless you go back to an area like Vesperpool or that big lake with the catoblepases and get hurt on purpose.

Shiva supposedly requires all the other triggers to be met at once (long battle, ally incapacitated, Noct incapacitated), so you'll probably see her way less than Ramuh and Titan but more than Leviathan.

However, there seems to be at least some randomness to it too, some people get summons when none of the conditions have been met and I have no idea why.

It's not a great system because it's highly likely that you finish the game without seeing half of them even a single time, but it definitely feels epic as hell when you do.

Since receiving Ramuh and Titan I have had the Ramuh summon prompt show up twice and every time I tried to hold L2 to trigger it it just wouldn't loving take... so I have yet to actually utilize any of the summons I've earned.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MMD3 posted:

Since receiving Ramuh and Titan I have had the Ramuh summon prompt show up twice and every time I tried to hold L2 to trigger it it just wouldn't loving take... so I have yet to actually utilize any of the summons I've earned.

You have to hold it for an abnormally long time.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The way I've rationalized the Summons showing up even when storywise they shouldn't is that, as they are the gods of the setting, they are immortal much like Ardyn is, where we see him literally get frozen and shattered into a thousand pieces by Shiva and yet he's back not ten minutes later except their immortality is an innate trait they possess unlike that spoiler example, so even when you kill their mortal forms they can incarnate again to help you out.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Alright, I'm done with this game for the time being.

As far as I can tell, right now this game is just a fuckload of nice touches and positive feedback loops over a glitchy, bland open world and a mediocre-to-bad combat system.

So I guess the team did manage to master the Bethesda-style open world :v:

Maybe it'll be better in a year.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Combat system actually owns

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Holy poo poo chapter 13 did I really just coincidentally fall down to a place where yet another named character has now died off screen and who has also has one of the weapons I've been looking for

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Trick Question posted:

Alright, I'm done with this game for the time being.

As far as I can tell, right now this game is just a fuckload of nice touches and positive feedback loops over a glitchy, bland open world and a mediocre-to-bad combat system.

So I guess the team did manage to master the Bethesda-style open world :v:

Maybe it'll be better in a year.

I think the combat is good but parry counterattacks are my fetish so maybe not the most unbias'd.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

drat, this thread moves fast.

I've been playing the game since Thursday and I'm loving it. There's a lot of charm, and the combat is pretty great. There's a bit more to it than I expected and it's just really fun. I've unlocked Titan, but there seems to be a lot of black bars around summons in this thread so all I've caught is that they have triggers. I guess I won't be seeing my new shiny summon very often?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've seen the opportunity for one to appear twice in 36 hours played.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CrashScreen posted:

drat, this thread moves fast.

I've been playing the game since Thursday and I'm loving it. There's a lot of charm, and the combat is pretty great. There's a bit more to it than I expected and it's just really fun. I've unlocked Titan, but there seems to be a lot of black bars around summons in this thread so all I've caught is that they have triggers. I guess I won't be seeing my new shiny summon very often?

Summons basically only show up if you get damaged a whole lot, more or less.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
so if you're good you'll never see a summon.

neat!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

FFXV's music kicks the everliving poo poo out of XCX.)

Wrong.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
How bad is Costlemark Tower? Already did the sewer dungeon, which was fine if a bit annoying at times. Just hovering around level 52.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

ApplesandOranges posted:

How bad is Costlemark Tower? Already did the sewer dungeon, which was fine if a bit annoying at times. Just hovering around level 52.

Do you enjoy fighting Red Giants and Yojimbos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I hope they optimize the game further because it takes forever to fast travel anywhere in this game. Usually I drive around and it's fine but for those couple times I want to turn in some dumb thing I rather go quick.

• Locked thread