Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So just a question since there's not much discussion around the 13 sequel games for story, what was the reaction to the ending of 13-2? Did people actually care?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

It's an HD remake you should definitely hold out for. Adds a job system that was in the International Zodiac Job System release. (See what they did there? :P)
Okay.

ImpAtom posted:

FFXII is probably Matsuno's weakest effort (especially since of the creative problems behind the scenes) but it's worth checking out. The ZJS improves the game but the things people really dislike about it are basked into the concept (weak story, automatable combat) so you liking/disliking it depends.
What're the highlights then, or the lowlights I guess?

I'd heard you could kinda sorta soft-program your party members, but that sounded more intriguing to me than anything. If the game's only going to let me control one person at a time, being able to custom tailor what everyone else is doing while I'm not in command sounds like a good thing to me (unless that's not how it works).

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tae posted:

So just a question since there's not much discussion around the 13 sequel games for story, what was the reaction to the ending of 13-2? Did people actually care?

About which part? Serah dying or the world ending?

I only played XIII-2 years after it came out but I honestly saw more anger at the beginning and how it retconned XIII's ending. That's how I feel as well.

But I'm sure some people cared. There are people who liked Serah. For me, even though I knew what was going to happen, I was kinda angry because Yeul basically tells them not to to fight Caius and they just ignore her.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Bad Seafood posted:

Okay.

I'd heard you could kinda sorta soft-program your party members, but that sounded more intriguing to me than anything. If the game's only going to let me control one person at a time, being able to custom tailor what everyone else is doing while I'm not in command sounds like a good thing to me (unless that's not how it works).

In XII, you can control every action of your party if you so choose. There's what is called the 'gambit system' wherein you set a number of criteria under which certain actions should be performed. For instance, you can set the condition 'HP < 60% --> Cast Cure' then when someone's HP is low enough whoever has that gambit will automatically heal them. Other times you can just set everyone to attack nonstop and you don't have to push any buttons, or you can input every attack command manually. Some people have an irrational hatred for it, but if you put a bit of thought into your gambits it can be a huge quality of life advantage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

Okay.

The highlights:

The story is actually pretty engaging when it is on, it just has bad pacing.
The world is large and seamless (no separate combat screens)
Fantastic translation and a lot of worldbuilding.
You can customize your party's gambits which lets you minimize how often you need to interact.

Low:
The combat system can be automated but is so simple that you can end up watching the game play itself.
It's very slow. Slow enough the first revision added a speed up feature and the new version is speeding up the speed-up feature.
The plot is poorly paced and you spend a lot of time just wandering through deserts.
Pretty average soundtrack.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I personally didn't like it because once I had the gambits set up it caused me to completely disengage from the game. It was entirely running forward, watching my party kill monsters, and going into cutscenes.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

FFXII is probably Matsuno's weakest effort

Have you played Crimson Shroud? ;) Makes FFXII look like Chrono Trigger.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I like FFXII because Ivalice is a great setting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Have you played Crimson Shroud? ;) Makes FFXII look like Chrono Trigger.

I enjoyed Crimson Shroud more than FFXII, taking into account it was a low-budget title released for the 3DS and not a full-priced console game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tae posted:

I loved it. It reminded me of the calamity in FF6, with Lightning Returns being the World of Ruin.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

I loved it. It reminded me of the calamity in FF6, with Lightning Returns being the World of Ruin.

Ya know, the World of Ruin with a giant party town. (I never finished VI, it didn't actually have one of those did it?)

I never got that. XIII-2 showed us a world "engulfed by chaos" - it's the final dungeon with crazy platforms and everything looking all weird. Then when the world is absolutely destroyed and flooded by this chaos, it remains conspicuously normal except everyone doesn't (physically) age. The only weird thing is the creeping fog of doom.

XIII-2's ending is great though because Caius won and Caius was the hero all along. LR agrees with this interpretation too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I never got that. XIII-2 showed us a world "engulfed by chaos" - it's the final dungeon with crazy platforms and everything looking all weird. Then when the world is absolutely destroyed and flooded by this chaos, it remains conspicuously normal except everyone doesn't (physically) age. The only weird thing is the creeping fog of doom.

Err, did you actually play LR?

LR has a lot of creeping decay all of the edges. The places that still exist are the last ones around. The 'party town' is the last place with any reliable resources (since it has the last fal'cie and the last l'cie) and the reason why it is a party town is because everyone knows they are dying and are basically spending their last days going out in style. The other areas are rapidly decaying and under constant attack by monsters. Every sidequest is someone struggling to deal with the fact the world is ending. It's absolutely a ruinous world.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 4, 2016

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Random question, but which game was the first to feature the mandragora-style enemies? Was it FFXII, or did they show up in FFXI before then?

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I personally didn't like it because once I had the gambits set up it caused me to completely disengage from the game. It was entirely running forward, watching my party kill monsters, and going into cutscenes.

I had a similar thing. I was about 70 hours into the game, about 4/5ths of the way through the game and I just... stopped. I felt like I'd sleepwalked my way through the entire thing to that point. I didn't care about the cast, their struggle, anything. I have a hard time remembering anything past the Viera woods, to boot. I assume there was stuff that occurred, but thinking about it just brings up a huge 'scene missing' placard.

Tae posted:

I was interested in it, until I played the Lightning DLC. I was hoping for a continuation that would explain more of what happened. Needless to say, I was left wanting. And then LR was released and I was left wondering if I'd missed a tie-in manga or if they'd just willfully ignored/retconned big chunks of the series' own backstory and lore.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The "world" of LR is just what's left after the chaos destroyed everything else.

Being ageless but not immortal for centuries is pretty horrifying if you think about, especially if you're a child. I think they did a pretty good job showing the complete and utter nihilistic apathy that would come from such a thing.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Random question, but which game was the first to feature the mandragora-style enemies? Was it FFXII, or did they show up in FFXI before then?

They were in XI. Many a tale have been told of the Yuhtunga Mandragora...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

It was 11. 12 reused a lot of models from 11.

Look at that cute little guy!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Err, did you actually play LR?

LR has a lot of creeping decay all of the edges. The places that still exist are the last ones around. The 'party town' is the last place with any reliable resources (since it has the last fal'cie and the last l'cie) and the reason why it is a party town is because everyone knows they are dying and are basically spending their last days going out in style. The other areas are rapidly decaying and under constant attack by monsters. Every sidequest is someone struggling to deal with the fact the world is ending. It's absolutely a ruinous world.

Monsters being around is a thing in every FF game. Spawning inside the towns is different but the point remains life goes on relatively normally. LR seems to want to be a dystopia but it can't quite manage it what with the silly fireworks and everything else.

Like I said, the world was destroyed and "chaos" reigns. I figured things would be like in Academia 500AF, all trippy and unstable. That didn't seem to be the case.

And I played a couple hours of LR, watched the rest in an LP.

Fister Roboto posted:

The "world" of LR is just what's left after the chaos destroyed everything else.

Being ageless but not immortal for centuries is pretty horrifying if you think about, especially if you're a child. I think they did a pretty good job showing the complete and utter nihilistic apathy that would come from such a thing.

I remember the sidequest with the kid who was still a "kid" in appearance but was all grown up in mind yet this guy who knew him kept treating him like a little boy. Stuff like that was interesting. I just didn't expect the post-apocalyptic world to be so...organized.

I still think the one-minute backstory of how Noel, Snow and Hope tried to fight off the end of the world after XIII-2 yet failed miserably is a much more compelling idea.

e:

Zaphod42 posted:

The thing about "this is my story" isn't "Tidus is THE loving MAN" but rather its actually "Tidus is literally a story". He's not a person, he's the idea of a person who once existed. He himself is a story. And since the game ends with him being erased from existence, it was almost like he was never real at all. Like "The legend of Tidus".

This is a really cool and intriguing interpretation. Thank you.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 4, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NikkolasKing posted:

So a weird string of thoughts comparing MGS2 to FFX and specifically Raiden to Tidus and how it would be pretty neat to swap them around and what effect Tidus' insistence "this is my story" would have on MGS2's themes and ideas led me to this question.

Is Tidus constantly saying "this is my story" a dick thing to do? I don't think it's intended to be, it's probably just FFX continuing its tradition of being as subtle as a baseball bat to the face. But on the other hand, Tidus is pointedly a selfish jerk for some of the game. Furthermore, Yuna calls him out on this in Zanarkand (IIRC) and says it isn't just his story. (and he says this in the temple, after his actual story has ended)

It just kinda feels like "this is all about me" and that's a kind of rude thing to keep saying.

The thing about "this is my story" isn't "Tidus is THE loving MAN" but rather its actually "Tidus is literally a story". He's not a person, he's the idea of a person who once existed. He himself is a story. And since the game ends with him being erased from existence, it was almost like he was never real at all. Like "The legend of Tidus".

Shoren posted:

In XII, you can control every action of your party if you so choose. There's what is called the 'gambit system' wherein you set a number of criteria under which certain actions should be performed. For instance, you can set the condition 'HP < 60% --> Cast Cure' then when someone's HP is low enough whoever has that gambit will automatically heal them. Other times you can just set everyone to attack nonstop and you don't have to push any buttons, or you can input every attack command manually. Some people have an irrational hatred for it, but if you put a bit of thought into your gambits it can be a huge quality of life advantage.

Another thing is that unfortunately the gambit system itself requires unlocking all its elements through playing and leveling up and license grid and stuff. So at first, "HP < 60%" may not even be a condition you're allowed to use. You have to go find the "HP < 60%" and "HP<50%" and "Enemy attacking" and "Enemy HP < 20%" and all those other possible conditions before you're even allowed to have enough control over your party members, which I found really annoying.

But on the other hand you don't really need to program the perfect companion AI and if you do the game will kinda play itself for you, which can be either satisfying or really dumb depending upon your tastes.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 4, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I loved the atmosphere of Academia 500AF but I think a whole game of that would have been too much. There's got to be some grounding in reality. I just assume that everything outside of Nova Chrysalia is like that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

It was XI. A lot of zones in XV actually remind me a ton of XI. The Mandragoras in XV look nothing like the XI ones, but there's a jungle area that is a bit of a maze that is full of them, which reminds me a lot of Yuhtunga and Yhoator Jungle. There's also a cave that reminds me SO much of Ordelle's Caves.

Man thinking about XI is a huge nostalgia trip for me :allears:

NikkolasKing posted:

This is a really cool and intriguing interpretation. Thank you.

Just my 10 cents, but happy to help :)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

FFXII is probably Matsuno's weakest effort (especially since of the creative problems behind the scenes) but it's worth checking out. The ZJS improves the game but the things people really dislike about it are basked into the concept (weak story, automatable combat) so you liking/disliking it depends.

ZJS has it's on unique problem where, if you do an early hunt/sidequest or just open a chest in one of the early side dungeons you can get multiple Double LP items early and since the classes have limited LP spaces you hit the limits of people's powers about halfway through the story and you kind of can blind coast through the rest of it with the game actually on auto-pilot.

Arist posted:

I like FFXII because Ivalice is a great setting.

Well some Ivalice's are. Some are aren't. I know they're technically all one setting but each game presents them in completely unique ways to the point that it might as well be a new setting each time it pops up, connected by a few fantasy races, but not always because sometimes they just don't exist anymore.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

NikkolasKing posted:

XIII-2's ending is great though because Caius won and Caius was the hero all along. LR agrees with this interpretation too.

:agreed:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Monsters being around is a thing in every FF game. Spawning inside the towns is different but the point remains life goes on relatively normally. LR seems to want to be a dystopia but it can't quite manage it what with the silly fireworks and everything else.

I really don't get what you're saying but "people partying down while the world ends" is not 'relatively normal." Whatever LP you watched apparently did a pretty lovely job if it skipped basically every bit of content that is 'things are awful and barely holding on."

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
The real joy of FFXII is exploring and fighting hunts and optional bosses.

The world is really big and there are just a ton of completely optional areas and dungeons. Which ones you can access are somewhat gated by story progression, but not as much as you might think- it's not that hard to make your way into areas where every random enemy can one-shot you. Then the fun is trying to explore these murder-zones to get cool loot early. IZJS improves exploration by letting you speed up travel, and making the important treasures guaranteed, rather than random like in the original.

And on a similar token, there are just a crap-ton of optional bosses and hunts, many of which you can access or attempt when you're really underleveled for the challenge. Don't listen to people saying you can just sleep-walk through the game; many of these bosses and hunts will destroy you if you're not really on your game. I've had so many edge-of-my-seat boss fights in XII that it remains one of my favorites.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Fister Roboto posted:

It was 11. 12 reused a lot of models from 11.

Look at that cute little guy!

Did the Roly Poly Cockatrices originate from 11 too? I love those guys.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

NikkolasKing posted:

'Guys one town in this setting where everyone is ageless and knows the world is ending in a handful of days is having a massive crazed sin carnival to celebrate the end of existence because they might as well enjoy their last few moments of being to somehow fight off the dread ennui that is existence in this remnant of reality. That doesn't feel like a dystopia at all!'

Dystopia doesn't just mean "Bombed out dreary ruins".

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 5, 2016

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Tae posted:

I unironically, not even trolling, love the ending. The only way the ending could be better if it was actually the Time Travelling Snow and Serah on their lesbian motorcycle paradox ending (that ending is my headcanon). I loved it because the heroes lose super hard and everything is hosed just like I wanted them to from the start because I hate 13.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Mandragoras and crabs were 11's greatest contribution to Final Fantasy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

bloodychill posted:

Mandragoras and crabs were 11's greatest contribution to Final Fantasy.

It is a goddamned travesty the airship theme from 11 isn't on the 11 soundtrack in XV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-if85nnGWMg

Happy to have the Ronfaure theme though at least.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Zaphod42 posted:

Happy to have the Ronfaure theme though at least.

Yeah I just flick between Gustaberg and Tavnazian Archipelago. I loved Miseraux Coast..

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I've only ever played 11 briefly on a freeshard and the Ronfaure theme is forever etched in my brain.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

I've only ever played 11 briefly on a freeshard and the Ronfaure theme is forever etched in my brain.

I've heard the Ronfaure theme and the San'Doria theme for what probably amounts to like 400 hours :stare: I even once edited the game's data to replace San'Doria's theme as I was so sick of hearing it over and over. (Never replaced Ronfaure though :) )

XI was insanely grindy, Jesus. But man, those were the golden ages of MMOs when people actually did poo poo with each other. MMOs these days, like XIV, you just play with your guild and ignore other players. But back then everything was so brutal, you HAD to talk to strangers and work together, as a matter of course. It was super time consuming and annoying but also... magical. Its cool XIV has FATEs to bring random players together, but you still don't really talk or stick together for long.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm gonna need to look up all the old FF tracks in XV, I just know it.

I at least need to know what II and V get to bring to the table.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I'm gonna need to look up all the old FF tracks in XV, I just know it.

I at least need to know what II and V get to bring to the table.

FFII is Battle Theme 1, The Rebel Army, Main Theme, Castle Pandemonium, Battle Theme 2, Chocobo Theme, Tower of the Magi, Finale, Town, The Imperial Army, Dungeon
FFV is Main Theme of Final Fantasy V, Battle 1, Battle 2, Battle at the Bridge, The Decisive Battle, Home Sweet Home, Four Hearts, Mambo de Chocobo, Victory Fanfare, The Dawn Warriors, The Final Battle, Harvest, Library of Ancients, The Airship, A New World, In Search of Light

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2016/09/heres-music-can-listen-final-fantasy-xvs-car/ <- complete list of tracks

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2016/09/heres-music-can-listen-final-fantasy-xvs-car/

It pretty much is the Best Of for each game. I take exception with a few exclusions but I am sadly not surprised that the FFFVIII choices feature every final boss theme except The Legendary Beast. I'll never understand why this amazing song which was featured during the best section of the fight is always overlooked. I can only assume it's because it only kicks in when Griever does Shockwave Pulsar for the first time and most people killed him before he did this. (note: he still is scripted to do it but he'll immediately die after doing the move which adds up to you hearing practically nothing from the song)

e: Beaten.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I can't believe XIII didn't get Sunleth Waterscape. I guess vocal tracks could be harder to get rights to use or something? Battle on the Big Bridge being represented in 3 ways is great though.

Also, I wish XIII-2 was featured because I just want to blast Crazy Chocobo from my car all the time.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm pretty sure I was listening to Sunleth Waterscape when I played it yesterday

was I imagining things

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

pichupal posted:

I can't believe XIII didn't get Sunleth Waterscape. I guess vocal tracks could be harder to get rights to use or something? Battle on the Big Bridge being represented in 3 ways is great though.

Also, I wish XIII-2 was featured because I just want to blast Crazy Chocobo from my car all the time.

I too was confused by the lack of Sunleth Waterscape and all of XIII-2's OST. But you migh tbe onto something about vocal themes, there was no Melodies of Life, Eyes on Me, etc.. And a lot of XIII-2's best tracks are vocal songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nothing from FFXIV Heavensward either