Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

poor life choice posted:

Someone told me that most fan artists draw Garfield like a reskinned Garfield the cat and that disappointed me. Don't they know in their hearts that he looks exactly like Count Chocula??

A creepily joyful Garfield the cat makes he laugh for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Fanart always devolves into lovely drama. I hate fanart

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BigRed0427 posted:

A creepily joyful Garfield the cat makes he laugh for some reason.

yea I'm 100% into Garfield being a way too happy Garfield the cat

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

ImPureAwesome posted:

Fanart always devolves into lovely drama. I hate fanart

It's more fandom than fan art, fan art can be pretty good.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Snooze Cruise posted:

It's more fandom than fan art, fan art can be pretty good.

The community tends to center around the fanart, but yeah

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Given that fandom just means "a group of people where the only thing in common is that they like a given thing" you're always going to find a mix of good and bad things within it

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
fans ruin everything, without exception.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
The TAZ diversity thing wasn't the most recent thing. He wrote something like, "sometimes you have to push the door open. Sometimes you have to kick the door in. But sometimes you just have to use the doorknob." Which people read as some bullshit respectability politics thing.

Dr. Scheme
Apr 28, 2013

Why can't people just like things without starting Holy Wars over them?

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

The Modern Leper posted:

The TAZ diversity thing wasn't the most recent thing. He wrote something like, "sometimes you have to push the door open. Sometimes you have to kick the door in. But sometimes you just have to use the doorknob." Which people read as some bullshit respectability politics thing.

Seems like Travis's big problem is how hard he keeps trying to be deep. I think he's funnier than some give him credit for, and I respect how sensitive and inclusive he tries to be. But he's just not as much of a philosopher as he thinks he is.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Seems like Travis's big problem is how hard he keeps trying to be deep. I think he's funnier than some give him credit for, and I respect how sensitive and inclusive he tries to be. But he's just not as much of a philosopher as he thinks he is.

Yeah it was a lot of words to say "Some times a light touch is required." but then again the reaction to it is hilariously overblown for him posting some Chicken Soup for Soul level banality. they read some generic bland 'wisdom' from him and seem to think he's trying to say something about their personal struggles/life.

Lotta free time on twitter users' hands is what I'm saying.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I read that as "You may have to try several different tactics, but you should always just talk to people first." I really don't understand how that's offensive at all

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah it was a lot of words to say "Some times a light touch is required." but then again the reaction to it is hilariously overblown for him posting some Chicken Soup for Soul level banality. they read some generic bland 'wisdom' from him and seem to think he's trying to say something about their personal struggles/life.

Lotta free time on twitter users' hands is what I'm saying.

Yeah, it is important to keep in mind that we are talking about twitter here.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

purple death ray posted:

I read that as "You may have to try several different tactics, but you should always just talk to people first." I really don't understand how that's offensive at all

Many of the people/peoples he's reaching have been talking for years and decades. A straight white man saying "Well, have you tried just asking nicely?" is never going to go over well, even given Travis every benefit of the doubt for his sincerity.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They're cognizant enough to realize "Well, we admit we're straight white men and can really only speak from our own experiences" but Travis doesn't seem to realize that that also means sometimes you don't really have a place to speak at all.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

They're cognizant enough to realize "Well, we admit we're straight white men and can really only speak from our own experiences" but Travis doesn't seem to realize that that also means sometimes you don't really have a place to speak at all.

How does this apply in this situation though? I don't think Travis said anything that him not having a "place to speak at all" is relevant.

EDIT: Or for that matter implied that he thinks that what you are saying is not the case.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
Where does Garfield the Deals Warlock come from anyway, I assume from a MBMBAM bit?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean, to be fair, yeah, I don't know what he was referring to in this case or if he was just speaking generally. Maybe he just needs to think a little bit before he tweets.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ruptured Yakety Sax posted:

Where does Garfield the Deals Warlock come from anyway, I assume from a MBMBAM bit?

Adventure Zone, he runs the Fantasy Costco (where all your dreams come true)

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Ruptured Yakety Sax posted:

The Money Zone from Episode 255

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Got a deal for you!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, to be fair, yeah, I don't know what he was referring to in this case or if he was just speaking generally. Maybe he just needs to think a little bit before he tweets.

That's general advice most people could take really..

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zeeman posted:

The Money Zone from Episode 255

wait did he? Goddamn McElroy layers upon layers.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yeah I knew that, but I had it in my head he was a call back to some other pre-TAZ joke. They mentioned to Clint that he was a crossover charachter or something when he first showed up? Or am I imagining that?

e oh thanks zeeman

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

wait did he? Goddamn McElroy layers upon layers.

Yeah, about 31 minutes in http://www.maximumfun.org/my-brother-my-brother-and-me/mbmbam-255-kangaroo-jack-blood

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

He originated in MBMBAM in the Money Zone, in episode [EPISODE NUMBER]. I think.

E: beaten severely

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Drunkboxer posted:

He originated in MBMBAM in the Money Zone, in episode [EPISODE NUMBER]. I think.

[EPISODE NUMBER] was one of my favorites, though it really pales in comparison to [EPISODE NUMBER]

ChumpsForChange
Jun 2, 2011
All the Taz comic characters shown but the main boys are non-white or monstrous, fans are weird.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Why are the McElroy brothers so white? They need to bring more diversity to themselves.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Why are all the skeletons in this dungeon white?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Dmitri-9 posted:

Why are the McElroy brothers so white? They need to bring more diversity to themselves.

Sooner or later they're going to have to introduce a fourth brother. It's what the fans want!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Shouldn't one's original IP be exactly where one has a place to speak?

Nothing's stopping the complainers from making their own story.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Ariong posted:

Sooner or later they're going to have to introduce a fourth brother. It's what the fans want!

Finally, Nick Robinson will bring in the anime perspective.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

yea I'm 100% into Garfield being a way too happy Garfield the cat

With Pamela Anderson's body, of course, right?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

thexerox123 posted:

Shouldn't one's original IP be exactly where one has a place to speak?

Nothing's stopping the complainers from making their own story.

Personally, I think that "well if you don't like it then maybe you should make your own podcast" is a lame and childish defense. You could deflect any criticism that way. First of all, it assumes that everybody who has made this point does not like the podcast. You're allowed to criticize something you like. In fact, it could be argued that people who like something are better suited to criticize it than be people who don't like it.

Second, it is unreasonable to request that people simply walk away from something the first time they develop a negative opinion or feeling about it.

Thirdly, there's plenty of things that could stop them from making their own DnD fantasy podcast. Lack of money to buy modules, lack of money to buy audio equipment, lack of friends willing to play DnD, lack of friends willing to have their DnD sessions recorded, lack of friends willing to act as DM if they don't want to do it, etc. Even if somebody did have all of that, it wouldn't be the same, because their show would lack the community surrounding TAZ.

EDIT: Also, your first statement about them being able to express themselves makes it sound like they were trying to tell a story, but were silenced. However, I don't think that making most of the characters white was supposed to tell a story or send a message that they were forced to change, but rather was the result of a lack of consideration given to that aspect of the characters' design.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 5, 2016

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

From the Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/mbmbam/permalink/1258199324218416/

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
If Travis tweeting stuff like that is the worst of it, it's still dramatically less problematic than most comedy things (or just things in general)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

thexerox123 posted:

oh, no, I've already killed myself.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Final Pam body with Garfield the Deals Warlock head? Or Garfield the Deals Warlock body, Final Pam head?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Don't worry about finishing...whatever you choose will easily finish YOU.