Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
yeah! we model 'selfnoise', dragging a sonar through the ocean quickly really means it can't hear a drat thing.

ships are easy to group, they jus all have to be at the same side

~~~Convergence Zones~~~

Physical oceanography tells us that due to a large number of reasons the sea temperature with respect to depth in the ocean decreases with respect to depth, then hits whats known as 'the thermocline' or 'the layer' (both of which are misnomers). Then water temperature with respect to depth increases. This is a simplification, but a good one, and is the state of affairs in the vast majority of the deep ocean.

The depth in the ocean where this transition in the rate of change of sea temperature with respect to depth happens I'm going to call 'the layer'. This is popularly used terminology, and I know it isn't right yadda yadda blah blah deal with it oceanography nerds!!!

The speed of sound varies with the sea temperature, pressure(depth) and salinity. This makes the speed of sound high at the surface, decrease till you hit the layer, then increase.

If the speed of changes, waves refract. Think of a glass of water with a pencil stuck in it. The pencil is displaced from its image. Same thing in the ocean with sonar.

Sound waves bend like this in the ocean:

Where all those waves show up on the surface again, that is the ~~~~~~convergence zone~~~~~~

Those zones are the ~shaded green area~ that ships equipped with hella sonars have. You can hear ships great in those green shaded areas, if you are a ship.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

*james bond 007 theme* do do deee doooo de dooo doo

due to this sciencey poo poo subs hide like motherfuckers with these converence zones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
What was the name of that ironclad-era ship game that was super groggy that everyone was getting excited about some time ago? Sorry I can't go through pages and page to try and find it. I'm wondering if it's getting an end of year sale (lol of course not) as I peruse the Matrix sale. Both Jutland and Distant Guns have no discount at the moment, and I'm doing my now-traditional end-of-year-plus-anniversary-discount Matrix sale splurge and I don't really want the theme to just be Napoleon games (Scourge of War and Wars of Napoleon) and DLC for Panzer Corps and CMANO.

I'm also wondering if anyone has played this: http://www.matrixgames.com/products/337/details/Carriers.at.War

vvv: That's the one, thank you! No sale but at least I'll keep an eye on it.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 4, 2016

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

markgreyam posted:

What was the name of that ironclad-era ship game that was super groggy that everyone was getting excited about some time ago? Sorry I can't go through pages and page to try and find it. I'm wondering if it's getting an end of year sale (lol of course not) as I peruse the Matrix sale. Both Jutland and Distant Guns have no discount at the moment, and I'm doing my now-traditional end-of-year-plus-anniversary-discount Matrix sale splurge and I don't really want the theme to just be Napoleon games (Scourge of War and Wars of Napoleon) and DLC for Panzer Corps and CMANO.

Rule the waves?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Baloogan, is the effectiveness of naval gunfire against other naval targets something that is going to be changed eventually? They seem pretty drat lackluster.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Go make a CMANO thread already.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Anyone play grog games for ipad? I was browsing the app store with a new ipad and I never realized how many of these hex-based war games there are, with silly names like 'World Conqueror 3' and 'Glory of Generals' and 'Open Panzer' and 'Panzer Corps' and 'Panzer Tactics HD'

I've played Panzer Corps before on PC and it was fun, but I don't know what else out there is any good. They all look really similar to me.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Kenzie posted:

Anyone play grog games for ipad? I was browsing the app store with a new ipad and I never realized how many of these hex-based war games there are, with silly names like 'World Conqueror 3' and 'Glory of Generals' and 'Open Panzer' and 'Panzer Corps' and 'Panzer Tactics HD'

I've played Panzer Corps before on PC and it was fun, but I don't know what else out there is any good. They all look really similar to me.

Not that groggy, really, but I put so many hours into the Battle Academy series on iPad at boring family events (I'm a grown rear end man). It is a very stripped down Steel Panthers like system. Speaking of that engine, Pike and Shot works on the iPad, but the cool campaign features no longer work.

There was going to be a cool game called War and Battles, but they stopped updating after Normandy and 6 Day War (or one of the Israeli wars). It was a cool system, but I don't think it is supported anymore.

There is the Arnhem game that disappeared then changed names when HexWar or whatever that really prolific company who farts out iPad games is.

John Tiller has his games on it. Fun, but I find them hard to control with the iPad.

A dude named David Kershaw has a bunch of pretty groggy games. I really like the Sicily and Poland ones for some quick grog. France usually crashes on my iPad 2 before I can finish a campaign, but its well done.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Riso posted:

Go make a CMANO thread already.

Get out of this CMANO thread :colbert:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Matrix Pricing Discussion (CMANO Thread)

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Not worth it. It is a remake of an older game but they did nothing to get more scenarios in or a campaign so it is limited to very few stock scenarios and variants. Worth 5 dollars not a cent more.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
I'm very good at finding subs with subs in CMANO but gently caress me sideways if I can ever get dipping sonar or bouys to hear anything but whales fuckin'. What am I doing wrong here? I'm dropping bouys at regular intervals, active below the layer and passive above (Drive the sub up with the active and hope the passive hears it) and I'm dipping sonar like mad.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Not to interrupt all the CMANO talk but...

I've been playing the new Ultimate General Civil War game so far and its a pretty solid Beta. There are a lot of things to iron out but it looks promising, I love having a persistent army to campaign with and make slow improvement to overtime. I ended up making one brigade and decided they were Irishmen who were recent immigrants fighting for their new home. Shopping for gear is also satisfying as is the rain of artillery.

They need to figure out a better difficulty scaling though. Right now as your army gets bigger the enemy armies increase in size, that wouldn't be a problem ordinarily, but as others have pointed out its leading to situations where no matter what happens, you're always outnumbered by the opponent. I can only bring 2000 man sized detachments, well the drat rebels now can wheel out 2500 to 3000 sized detachments :smug:. I feel like I missed the part in my history classes where the Confederacy outnumbered the Union in every battle.

They also need some tweaks to skirmishers and cavalry. For the former I sometime want them to continually engage an opponent, but they will break off every time they volley step back some distance and don't do anything. They're not breaking or routing either so its a bit frustrating having to micro them while a battle is going on. Cavalry needs a bit of a modifier to shock value for plunging into the sides of an opponent. They're great through for hunting down artillery and routing enemies.

Also some of the massive campaign missions need changes to the time. I just played the Battle of Shiloh and it broke the first day out into three or four phases each a few hours long and amounted to "hold this spot, then fall back to this next spot" until you get to a large redoubt and hold off a massive Confederate attack, so by this point your forces are reduced and depleted. Day two rolls around and you're told "Okay, here are a few extra units, now retake the map! You have two hours" Like I can do it, but the time should be a bit more generous I think, the drat rebels got a whole drat day to try and take the map, I just want the same thing. Ended up causing a draw even though I was advancing on my needed positions.

All in all I really like the game though, I'm looking foreword to seeing it develop.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Double tap halt to make your skirmishers hold important pieces of terrain like farmhouses. Better yet, but then longer range firearms so they can fire continuously a without worrying about retreating.

I just finished a play through as Union and I was consistently outnumbering the confederates like 5:3 in the second half of the campaign, although most of their units were veterancy 3 stars.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Also my buddy and I bought Tillers Battleground Napoleonics on sale at Matrix and it's actually pretty fun once you understand the rules, very table-top'y. Also those old Talonsoft games are so much prettier than Tillers solo stuff, he really stopped caring about visuals.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Dirt Worshipper posted:

...Tillers solo stuff, he really stopped caring about visuals.

I feel that this point is excessively understated.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Also some of the massive campaign missions need changes to the time. I just played the Battle of Shiloh and it broke the first day out into three or four phases each a few hours long and amounted to "hold this spot, then fall back to this next spot" until you get to a large redoubt and hold off a massive Confederate attack, so by this point your forces are reduced and depleted. Day two rolls around and you're told "Okay, here are a few extra units, now retake the map! You have two hours" Like I can do it, but the time should be a bit more generous I think, the drat rebels got a whole drat day to try and take the map, I just want the same thing. Ended up causing a draw even though I was advancing on my needed positions.

All in all I really like the game though, I'm looking foreword to seeing it develop.

Yeah, just got to Day Two of Shiloh and discovered that 1) all my troops are still ammo-less from the previous day's 8 hours of fighting and 2) are still exhausted from same. I guess if I had any cash left I could have tried restocking my supply wagons between days but it seems kind of BS seeing as the whole point of the first day is holding out for shipping in supplies and reinforcements.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

With Shiloh, the secret is to not give ground the way the game suggests that it wants you to. If you can keep some kind of toehold around Shiloh church and really make them bleed trying to take the hornet's nest, then do a fighting withdrawal so that most of your own units are intact for the counter-attack, it's possible to retake the whole area.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Chump Farts posted:

Not that groggy, really, but I put so many hours into the Battle Academy series on iPad at boring family events (I'm a grown rear end man). It is a very stripped down Steel Panthers like system. Speaking of that engine, Pike and Shot works on the iPad, but the cool campaign features no longer work.

There was going to be a cool game called War and Battles, but they stopped updating after Normandy and 6 Day War (or one of the Israeli wars). It was a cool system, but I don't think it is supported anymore.

There is the Arnhem game that disappeared then changed names when HexWar or whatever that really prolific company who farts out iPad games is.

John Tiller has his games on it. Fun, but I find them hard to control with the iPad.

A dude named David Kershaw has a bunch of pretty groggy games. I really like the Sicily and Poland ones for some quick grog. France usually crashes on my iPad 2 before I can finish a campaign, but its well done.

Awesome, thanks for this post. I also happen to be a grown rear end man who plays these things during boring family events. What better way to spend a holiday with the family than to conquer the world for the Nazis? :godwinning:

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
If I buy Command: Northern Inferno it says that "It also serves as a DLC for existing CMANO owners". Does this mean that I can simply start up CMANO if I want to play those scenarios or am I going to be starting up a specific Northern Inferno game to play them. If it's the latter that bothers me more than it should :spergin: but I can't find an answer to it in the forums.

And because it's CMANO talk, do I need to bother owning Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition if I own CMANO? The Harpoon games always intrigued me as a kid (Doom and then Civ 2 put paid to that) so part of me kind of wants to get it but I don't know if it's really worth it.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Dec 5, 2016

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

markgreyam posted:

If I buy Command: Northern Inferno it says that "It also serves as a DLC for existing CMANO owners". Does this mean that I can simply start up CMANO if I want to play those scenarios or am I going to be starting up a specific Northern Inferno game to play them. If it's the latter that bothers me more than it should :spergin: but I can't find an answer to it in the forums.

And because it's CMANO talk, do I need to bother owning Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition if I own CMANO? The Harpoon games always intrigued me as a kid (Doom and then Civ 2 put paid to that) so part of me kind of wants to get it but I don't know if it's really worth it.

Yeah, firing up CNI and CMANO fires up the same exe, its all one big install. Be really annoying imo if like, you needed two copies of the 4 gig terrain datasets for CNI and CMANO..

The warfare sims guys started off modding harpoon, DB2000 is all warfare sims. Might be worth buying if you are curious I guess lol, the harpoon UI is the most painful piece of design ever. It started off pre-windows, and includes its own windowing system.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

glynnenstein posted:

I feel that this point is excessively understated.

The talonsoft stuff isn't bad for their time and genre though, I'm enjoying this enough I might update the graphics on his new stuff

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Baloogan posted:

Yeah, firing up CNI and CMANO fires up the same exe, its all one big install. Be really annoying imo if like, you needed two copies of the 4 gig terrain datasets for CNI and CMANO..

The warfare sims guys started off modding harpoon, DB2000 is all warfare sims. Might be worth buying if you are curious I guess lol, the harpoon UI is the most painful piece of design ever. It started off pre-windows, and includes its own windowing system.

I'd kind of assumed the db stuff, I was more hoping that it didn't fire up a different exe which then might have just been needlessly annoying when I'd rather just be able to get Northern Inferno and have it literally just count as DLC for CMANO, which it admittedly does say but as it's sold as a stand-alone I just wanted confirmation that it would do that if I owned CMANO first.

Harpoon certainly looks messy with the UI but I have a vague recollection of a tutorial that started somewhere in Australia and launching F-18s against incoming targets or something like that, and despite lacking a single patriotic bone in my body, being :australia: and all it kind of endeared itself to me in due to that. Having said that, it's still like about $5 out of "Get it for the sake of it territory", even after discount stacking.

I'm also going all in on Sengoku Jidai and no-one can stop me. I'm also eyeing off Norm Koger's Operational Art of War III for (again) the nostalgia unless anyone wants to warn me away from that.

Speaking of which, man the personal sites/stores for Norm Koger and John Tiller are just such a blast from the past. If you've never looked at them, let me be not be alone in feeling guilty at unintentionally laughing at them.

http://www.normkoger.com/games.html
http://john-tiller-software.myshopify.com/

Dirt Worshipper posted:

The talonsoft stuff isn't bad for their time and genre though, I'm enjoying this enough I might update the graphics on his new stuff

Honestly I think that looks really good, for the type of game we're talking about. Is that John Tiller's Background Napoleonic Wars? Some of the stuff on Tiller's own page definitely looks like the desire to make it look a little more presentable is no longer there.

I've talked myself out of the latest AGEOD Napoleon game because even the Matrix forums are making GBS threads on it, and I'm not sure if the Scourge of War games are my thing, so I've got a little more budget to play with now so a few of these older, cheaper titles seem like they might be worth a shot.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The problem with AGEOD games is that AGEOD is an unsatisfying POS. I know this is about as hot a take as a michael mcintyre bit but it is true.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I've never had fun with AGEOD, ever, but I desperately want to. I love the idea, the complexity of the AGEOD games but I can't ever figure it out and turn resolution takes literally minutes.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

markgreyam posted:

Honestly I think that looks really good, for the type of game we're talking about. Is that John Tiller's Background Napoleonic Wars? Some of the stuff on Tiller's own page definitely looks like the desire to make it look a little more presentable is no longer there.

Yeah that's Battleground Napoleonic Wars, currently on sale for $10

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

markgreyam posted:

Yeah, that's John Tiller's Battleground Napoleonic Wars, from when he was still working with (for?) Talonsoft.

Most of his games still have this faux-3D view, but they're not nearly as nice looking.

Panzer Campaigns: France 40

Civil War Battles: Antietam

John Tiller's Campaign Series (a Matrix compilation/re-release of his Talonsoft games East Front, West Front and Rising Sun)

I don't know anyone who plays the games using this view, though (not that I know many people who plays these games, period!)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Tiller's 2D stuff looks pretty good if you use the aftermarket graphics packs (I can't find a link at the moment)

But on a 1080p monitor the counters are so tiny that it's a pain in the rear end to play.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

markgreyam posted:

I'd kind of assumed the db stuff, I was more hoping that it didn't fire up a different exe which then might have just been needlessly annoying when I'd rather just be able to get Northern Inferno and have it literally just count as DLC for CMANO, which it admittedly does say but as it's sold as a stand-alone I just wanted confirmation that it would do that if I owned CMANO first.

Harpoon certainly looks messy with the UI but I have a vague recollection of a tutorial that started somewhere in Australia and launching F-18s against incoming targets or something like that, and despite lacking a single patriotic bone in my body, being :australia: and all it kind of endeared itself to me in due to that. Having said that, it's still like about $5 out of "Get it for the sake of it territory", even after discount stacking.

Yeah I played the old Harpoon games a loving long rear end time ago and CMANO is basically Harpoon 4. I don't think there is a real reason to go back to the old games now because Harpoon games are basically just a simulation framework and a big rear end database. There are a ton of scenarios for sure, but I bet someone has ported/is porting the best ones over anyways and it isn't worth fighting the interface. It isn't like you are missing out on all that sweet Harpoon lore or anything.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

markgreyam posted:

Speaking of which, man the personal sites/stores for Norm Koger and John Tiller are just such a blast from the past. If you've never looked at them, let me be not be alone in feeling guilty at unintentionally laughing at them.

http://www.normkoger.com/games.html
http://john-tiller-software.myshopify.com/

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

That's basically grognards.png. What do you think the chances are that he still uses that monitor and still wears that shirt regularly?

Curtains are probably the same too. Dusty and unwashed.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Drone posted:

That's basically grognards.png. What do you think the chances are that he still uses that monitor and still wears that shirt regularly?

Curtains are probably the same too. Dusty and unwashed.

Is he still making games? (is he still alive?)

Judging from his website it looks pretty inactive.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah maybe I should clean these curtains huh? And maybe I should politely ask these Germans to kindly envelop themselves while I am loving around with a dustbuster???? Idiot.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Yooper posted:

Is he still making games? (is he still alive?)

Judging from his website it looks pretty inactive.

The latest I know of him is working for Storm Eagle Studios, let's take a look

http://www.stormpowered.com/stormcloud/store/index.asp

quote:

Server Error
500 - Internal server error.
There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.
:downs:

so the store front page doesn't work but if you can find a link to their products then that works, except of course the store frontpage is the first hit on google... goddamn it these people want to make it hard to buy their products directly from them, not that anyone should be using their StormpoweredŽ DRM.
http://www.stormpowered.com/stormcloud/store/genre/1/index.asp

I just want a remake of Age of Rifles, but I know it will never happen... is that new Ultimate General any good at this point??

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 5, 2016

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Nenonen posted:

so the store front page doesn't work but if you can find a link to their products then that works, except of course the store frontpage is the first hit on google... goddamn it these people want to make it hard to buy their products directly from them, not that anyone should be using their StormpoweredŽ DRM.

I just want a remake of Age of Rifles, but I know it will never happen... is that new Ultimate General any good at this point??

Sweet jesus. How can any business actually sell product if the website doesn't even function. These people must have day jobs.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Nenonen posted:

He made Jutland! and Distant Guns, both of which were good titles. Until he also built his Storm Powered Digital Distribution service, which sucked, and stuck those games behind their authentication wall.

Why did that suck? Well for one, there was no such thing as offline mode. Took your laptop somewhere with no internet and want to play Jutland! Norm's response = "Haha! gently caress you."

He then unloaded the whole thing to some Russians (I think) who promptly broke Jutland!, never fixed it, and stopped posting on the Storm Eagle website and responding to CS tickets.

Too bad. I liked those games.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 5, 2016

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Buying a game from "Storm Eagle" sounds like it comes with a free registration with the Southern Poverty Law Center

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

quote:

Harpoon stuff

I was good at Harpoon. I got it instinctively. Maybe it was because I was 15 when I played Harpoon and 39 now, but I've tried CM a couple times now and I'm utterly lost at times.

Feature recommendation: dumb it down slightly. For example, there should be a game mode where I can just order planes to refuel from tankers, and the AI handles routing all the involved speeds, setting the proper altitude and airspeed.

I'm just not interested in that level of micromanaging (says the guy who plays WiTP).

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Yooper posted:

Sweet jesus. How can any business actually sell product if the website doesn't even function. These people must have day jobs.

YouTube comment by some guy who was going to record a Jutland campaign playthrough

some guy 2 years ago posted:

Please note: This game had a game-breaking bug introduced in a patch about a year ago. Presumably due to financial issues with the developer, this has not been fixed, and it is unavoidable due to the DRM system :/

so yeah, it's probably for the best :sureboat:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

I'm just not interested in that level of micromanaging (says the guy who plays WiTP).

Are you interested in a position with Webvans newest startup, Storm Eagle Games? No, not the White Supremacy metal band, but the kickin-rad Windows 95 developer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer

ZombieLenin posted:

Feature recommendation: dumb it down slightly. For example, there should be a game mode where I can just order planes to refuel from tankers, and the AI handles routing all the involved speeds, setting the proper altitude and airspeed.

You can already do this. Right click the unit > refuel > select tanker automatically.