Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

At least it's not heroin.

Even not cocaine

Edit: by 1992 prices I mean

ass cobra fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
One of the things I like about retrogaming is that the prices are relatively stable. When I bought my Amiga CD32 for $300 I didn't set that money on fire or lose it on something consumable. Instead of having $300 in cash I have a console that's worth roughly $300 if I need to resell it at some point when I'm strapped for cash or lose interest in it. Sure, the price may go down over time (which I think is likely as the current crop of collectors ages out of it) but it'll never be worth $0. It's not an investment and it certainly is no substitute for saving , but it's a better store of wealth than some other hobbies. You don't have that so much with modern systems - if I spent $300 on new retail price PS4 games I feel like I'd be hard pressed to ever recoup that much value 10 years down the road unless I kept them all sealed and maybe not even then.

EDIT: That's how I justify my collection, anyway. I could be just crazy and like wasting money.

Polly Toodle fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 5, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Well I mean, that's just the effect of most of the depreciation already happening. A brand new CD32 when it was new was $399 in 1993 dollars, or about $667 in today's dollars.

Of course you never know what random game is suddenly going to become worth a lot of money. I bet if you asked people in like 1996 what SNES games would be worth in 20 years, very few of them would say "Earthbound's going to be sold to people for $200 for the cartridge by itself and $600 in its box, not even sealed"

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Lol is it really worth $200? I debated tossing my cartridge in my last move.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bum the Sad posted:

Yeah, though if you just want to unload it quick they sell as low as $90.

At the peak of the Earthbound bubble, you could list a beat up Earthbound cartridge on eBay for $150 and have it bought within hours, and cartridge only could go as high as $350.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
My retro game selling tip is to watch the schedules for things like ADGQ, Evo, and EL and then if the game you want to sell is being played, wait to list it until about halfway through the stream for said game. I routinely make decent cash off of this. If you wait until some famous speedrunner starts a Zelda run you can easily fetch like 150% the value on ebay because people will buy every copy available while the hype is strong. I sold a copy of Blue with a new battery during the height of Twitch Plays Pokemon mania for something like double what they normally go for, despite the fact that that game is insanely easy to play in much cheaper ways and one of the most common GB games ever.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
You used to be able to buy copies of Pocket Monsters Red and Green for around a hundred yen each and sell them stateside for $20+, but I think Japanese sellers finally caught onto that

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Bum the Sad posted:

I've seen it at local stores for $200 - $225 cartridge only. I think I've seen complete copies for $800. At one point, this game was on clearance at Best Buy for $8.

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.
I'm just starting to dip my feet into the waters of CRT gaming. I was lucky enough to get 20 inch Sony PVM and purchased a VCR with S-Video output. I assume that it isn't really making the composite signal better somehow, but it really looks like it is! Here's a video showing what I have so far. (PS2 composite > VCR s-video> PVM and Wii Component plugged into the PVM as well.) My next step form here is figuring out wii homebrew to use that for emulation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO60kxpMnkw

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

mariooncrack posted:

I've seen it at local stores for $200 - $225 cartridge only. I think I've seen complete copies for $800. At one point, this game was on clearance at Best Buy for $8.

In late '06 I was in a Toys R Us that had giant bins of Conker's Bad Fur Day and Paper Mario for $5 each. I bought one of each, because why would I buy more than one of something they were blowing out because they couldn't sell them?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

If anyone is looking for decent-condition original Nintendo cart connectors for the NES, this guy is selling them for $6 each shipped. I ordered a few recently, and they all loaded up a game on the first try, although they required pushing the tray down of course. I re-bent the pins a bit more and they worked without having to push the tray down: http://www.ebay.com/itm/331701651693?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

In any case, way better than most of the aftermarket cart connectors floating around.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I sold a copy of Blue with a new battery during the height of Twitch Plays Pokemon mania for something like double what they normally go for, despite the fact that that game is insanely easy to play in much cheaper ways and one of the most common GB games ever.
Same exact thing happened when Pokemon Go launched. Red/Blue were going for 50-60 and Yellow 60-70. After a couple of weeks they went back to the 25-30 range again.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Since I'll have my SD2SNES sometime today finally, what are the best MSU-1 games I should get?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

These are always fun to look at when it comes to wondering how cheap games were: Funcoland circular from June 1999. (Big images, so right click and open in a new tab if you can't read them)

shyduck fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Dec 5, 2016

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Stadium Events is $0.29 :lol:

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Ok so how many of those games were announced but never released?

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

Wanted to say thanks for the EPROM chips, just installed the translated Lagrange Point:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Djarum posted:

Since I'll have my SD2SNES sometime today finally, what are the best MSU-1 games I should get?

I feel like Super Metroid and Link to the Past are the prime examples of how well the system can work.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

Djarum posted:

Road Blaster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YuWwoeAxCk

The other stuff is really up to personal taste, I'd check out youtube videos of updated MSU-1 soundtracks and see if you prefer them. Were there any other MSU-1 only game projects besides Road Blaster?

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Dec 5, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

shyduck posted:

Same exact thing happened when Pokemon Go launched. Red/Blue were going for 50-60 and Yellow 60-70. After a couple of weeks they went back to the 25-30 range again.

To be fair, Pokemon R/B/Y hitting the eShop probably helped a lot in driving the prices back down

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Djarum posted:

Rock n' Roll racing with the original recordings is a nice non-orchestral one.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2311/

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be fair, Pokemon R/B/Y hitting the eShop probably helped a lot in driving the prices back down
I think it's had a slight effect, but not for this specific case. The eShop downloads were released in February, and prices on the carts remained somewhat steady until Go was released. It was a nostalgia wave more than anything, and I don't think digital had as much to do with it.

edit: I will agree that digital has had a slight cumulative effect on the market, but that spike was something different altogether.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Dec 5, 2016

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Oh man, that's awesome.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

So these were discussed a few pages ago, but for my Sony PVM-2054QM I need this and This, Right?

Just for reference:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Yes, thought it looks like someone's already put BNC>RCA adapters on your RGB/YPbPr inputs so they could use a component source.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I learned a great tip yesterday that completely fixed my sound issue with my Gyruss cabinet: clean the sound pots with contact lens solution! Just dripped some on, moved the knob around, and the sounds of crackle/short-out quickly went away.

Now I can have Tocatta blaring like true :black101:!

Wow, would this be safe to do or would it work with a video pot? Trying to adjust the width of the crt in my Megatouch gets wonky; it bounces all over the place which is what I would imagine is the video version of crackling. Eventually after a lot of fiddling I can get it to work right but the planets have to be aligned properly. Any idea if the contact lens solution would work for that? Just want to make sure it's safe. Also that it would work... contact lens solution is expensive for this one time application!

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Contact lens cleaner is a bit expensive since you can get contact cleaner or aerosolized isopropyl alcohol and just spray that in there and it'll do the same thing.

Also since it's alcohol and not purified water, it'll dry considerably quicker and you don't have to worry about accidental shorts.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Dec 5, 2016

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

Yes, thought it looks like someone's already put BNC>RCA adapters on your RGB/YPbPr inputs so they could use a component source.

That was me. I bought a bunch in bulk because of my old Betamax and U-matic VCRs use em too so i put the rest on the Trinitron just in case

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The Pokemon Go craze was great. I sold blue for $50, Gold for $40, and Heartgold for $84 (!) back in late july. A couple weeks later and the prices were low again.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Mace Bacon posted:

That was me. I bought a bunch in bulk because of my old Betamax and U-matic VCRs use em too so i put the rest on the Trinitron just in case

Just a heads up, but Retro Gaming Cables also has SCART -> BNC cables so you can combine shipping if you want, you just gotta search for BNC in the box. Link

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I just did the inflation math on Phantasy Star and realized that I spent $148.93 on it new.

worth it.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to change the battery in a SNES cart without losing the save data?

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

Charles Get-Out posted:

Just a heads up, but Retro Gaming Cables also has SCART -> BNC cables so you can combine shipping if you want, you just gotta search for BNC in the box. Link

Thanks.

Anyway I need Krikzz to make a Sega SG-1000 multicart for my SC-3000. For some reason carts can get expensive for it. There's a multicart out there but you need to reflash chips like a caveman! I wanna put ROMs on a SD card :colbert:

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

hot sauce posted:

Is there any way to change the battery in a SNES cart without losing the save data?

I think you can solder in another battery in parallel temporarily (this will add current, but keep the same voltage) while you get the permanent battery installed. Use jumper wires and solder the second battery onto traces that connect to the + and -. Once the new battery is installed, you can remove the spare.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

2reachmu posted:

Does anyone have any experience using a pico projector in the 240-480p native resolution range? I was considering picking one up to try on some consoles and a retropie box.
I have a Benq GP1 that I use on a weekly basis for retrogaming or movie watching. It advertises a 1024x768 resolution but AMD cards read it as 858x600, and Nvidia as 800×480. So technically it is a 480p projector. The biggest issue you will have is that they are dim. For most of these picos they measure lumens at the broadcast point, so mine advertises 200 lumens, but my lightmeters measure it closer to 100. It is also only 2.75 lux when showing an 8ft image (4:3). That said I have used a dozen different led projectors and they work fine if you can control the light and are ok with the corners being in softfocus. Since I live in the middle of nowhere, it is perfect for me, but when I lived in a city I had some issues with it. I run a Softmodded Wii and a Gaming PC on the projector - Wii over composite, PC over VGA.

Sadly projectors are not as sexy as you might first think for retrogaming. 2d it is fine, but any game that requires you to view the whole screen at once, say a shmup now requires you to move your head around. For 3d it is fine, until you realize that you those limited polygon based characters are now gigantic and the flaws start to show. Party games are awesome on it, as are Adventure games and RPGs - Broken Sword Remastered on a projector is like watching a 80s animated feature film.

So a couple positives, a couple negatives, if you can overcome those go for it. Favi Rio 3 is the probably the most common one people buy for a starter - they are around $200 on amazon/ebay.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Mace Bacon posted:

Thanks.

Anyway I need Krikzz to make a Sega SG-1000 multicart for my SC-3000. For some reason carts can get expensive for it. There's a multicart out there but you need to reflash chips like a caveman! I wanna put ROMs on a SD card :colbert:

I have a multi-cart on the way for my MSX that has a micro SD slot for storing ROMs, but requires you to use the computer's basic interface to flash ROMs onto the cartridge's internal memory. The cartridge allows you to flash 500-or-so ROMs at once if you have a text file listing them all out and filter through them in an interface, but you can't load ROMs directly off of the SD card.

As far as I know this is the only/best multi-cart for the MSX; old computers are weird.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I'm just sitting here waiting on krikzz to fix the firmware on his SMS cart to work properly on a Mark III with fat 32/sdhc support.

I'm sure it'll happen any day now :shepface:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flyboi posted:

I'm just sitting here waiting on krikzz to fix the firmware on his SMS cart to work properly on a Mark III with fat 32/sdhc support.

I'm sure it'll happen any day now :shepface:

Can you really not get a 2gb sd card and just leave it fat16?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Speaking of comically large modern technology in 80's consoles, the upcoming Super Russian Roulette will be an 8 megabyte game. :eyepop: Not only bigger than any commercial NES game by miles, but bigger even than any SNES game.

• Locked thread