Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
It doesn't include an armored codpiece named the Dong Guard so it's the worst expansion of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Skyrim is bad this is why I have played it more than any other game probable HEY!
If you have the special edition like me it's good and cool but have you ever played Clockwork Castle? It's a bit more than a house mod (quite a bit more) and has a pretty engaging story and neato characters and some novel aspects to it that I've never seen before. Besides large-than-they-need-to-be breast armor it's been a real fun time. I'm still not done with it either and I've been playing it for about 6 hours.
It's also available for Oldrim.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

GunnerJ posted:

My impression of Dawnguard for a while has been that it's mostly only worth it for getting crossbows in the game.
I ran through the questline for the first time in my current SE playthrough... and yes.

That questline is poo poo. Soul Cairn and Lost Vale are tedious and confusing. I can't believe I had to download a loving pdf map for Skyrim.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Skyrim is bad this is why I have played it more than any other game probable HEY!
If you have the special edition like me it's good and cool but have you ever played Clockwork Castle? It's a bit more than a house mod (quite a bit more) and has a pretty engaging story and neato characters and some novel aspects to it that I've never seen before. Besides large-than-they-need-to-be breast armor it's been a real fun time. I'm still not done with it either and I've been playing it for about 6 hours.
It's also available for Oldrim.

Its by a goon, too. Im currently going through it again now.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Wildtortilla posted:

I went through a dungeon that was populated with wacky new drauger and bandit types because of my mods. To get out if the dungeon I had to fight a bandit group that was lead by a man with a magical thunder hammer. Then a drauger summoner wonder upon us and summoned an army of baby spiders.

My mod decisions are working out!
Now this is the kind of "more enemies" I can deal with. I don't want more of the same, I'd like more different stuff, enemies that sometimes end up fighting other enemies so I feel in the middle of a brawl, and so on.

So, uh, what I'm saying is that specific mod is "not for me".

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Now this is the kind of "more enemies" I can deal with. I don't want more of the same, I'd like more different stuff, enemies that sometimes end up fighting other enemies so I feel in the middle of a brawl, and so on.

So, uh, what I'm saying is that specific mod is "not for me".

I'm not really sure what mod is making what happen. I installed immersive creatures, immersive patrols, and that Genesis mod at the same time and now my game is much more fun!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Goddammit every new task in Dawnguard spawns two more.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

The only thing I know about Dawnguard is that I have to go to the nexus and install a patch or else all my precious NPCs start going missing.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Goddammit every new task in Dawnguard spawns two more.

That's just bethesda incorporating popular mod features!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Lo, for I have Seen the face of Evil. We have met the Enemy, the Author of all Wickedness, and he is Us.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Agents are GO! posted:

And Lost to the Ages. Dammit.

It says a lot the best parts of the DLC are the bits that are only tangentially related to the main thrust of it.

When you have more fun playing with the sticks-up-their-asses vampire hunters than the actual castlevania vampires, somebody hosed up somewhere.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kerning Chameleon posted:

When you have more fun playing with the sticks-up-their-asses vampire hunters than the actual castlevania vampires, somebody hosed up somewhere.

Vampires suck.

It's, like, an integral part of their very existence. They literally and figuratively suck, it's all they ever do.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Only time vampires have been pretty neat is the Interview with the Vampire and Lost Boys.

Dawnguard felt like it was going for Interview with the Vampire side, if you go with the Dawnguard. But if you side with the vampires they not fun like Lost Boys. They're just a bunch of crazy loving weirdos that you wouldn't want anything to do with.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

doctor 7 posted:

Only time vampires have been pretty neat is the Interview with the Vampire and Lost Boys.

Don't forget about What We Do In The Shadows. I want a Skyrim mod that adds Peter to the game.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the best vampires are from Thirst

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
It still breaks my immersion that vampires in Skyrim do not sparkle by default as described in Twilight and...

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Wildtortilla posted:

Don't forget about What We Do In The Shadows. I want a Skyrim mod that adds Peter to the game.

Excellent point. I do prefer eating unfucked sandwiches.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Vampires are great because there are so many different variations of them in the lore but bethesda only insists on using the most bland, uninteresting interpretation of them.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Similarly, there's a tragic lack of werecrocodiles and werebats and werevultures, despite them being canonical creatures.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hollow Talk posted:

It still breaks my immersion that vampires in Skyrim do not sparkle by default as described in Twilight and...

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

:gonk:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Dawnguard's worst failing is the inability to shortcut most of the DLC by not letting me attack Harkon and his entire castle the very first time you went there with Serana.

"one of me and many of them" pffft Isran shouldn't accept that excuse and neither do I

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The Skyrim SE Nif Optimizer owns. Just converted a couple of armors that weren't working. Now they work perfectly.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Agents are GO! posted:

The Skyrim SE Nif Optimizer owns. Just converted a couple of armors that weren't working. Now they work perfectly.

tell me more, and does it work for character nifs or just armors?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Give it a shot man, it's just drag and drop (keep a backup.)

I used it to convert the Aetherium arms and Armor and Deadly Serious Shrouded Armor. No obvious problems as of yet.

Off-topic: I didn't realize that the Tribunal Masks from Immersive Armors had Beast Race friendly models. Awesome.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Psion posted:

Dawnguard's worst failing is the inability to shortcut most of the DLC by not letting me attack Harkon and his entire castle the very first time you went there with Serana.
That's just one of many.

One of very, very many. Like "all of the Soul Cairn and then the Lost Vale" and how the game breaks if you kill Harkon too hard at the end instead of letting him live long enough to go through his scripted WoW boss routines. (I did this 4 times and eventually just had to let Serana do all the work for me.)

I suppose yours would have let me short-circuited all of that, though, so....

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Agents are GO! posted:

Give it a shot man, it's just drag and drop (keep a backup.)

I used it to convert the Aetherium arms and Armor and Deadly Serious Shrouded Armor. No obvious problems as of yet.

Off-topic: I didn't realize that the Tribunal Masks from Immersive Armors had Beast Race friendly models. Awesome.

quote:

Use the head parts option on ONLY head parts, without exception!

Sounds promising. Cool, I'll check it out.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Psion posted:

"one of me and many of them" pffft Isran shouldn't accept that excuse and neither do I

It's also pretty much impossible to believe Isran wouldn't kill Serana on sight.

I mean I know it's supposed to be super dramatic that Serana has this whole "I've never trusted anyone in my hundreds-years-long life and I just met you three days ago but I totally ~trust~ you for some reason" thing going on. Kinda lazy writing but OK, no big deal. But there is no way in hell Isran wouldn't follow his well established "kill first, ask questions later" policy with vampires and he would not care if she showed up waving a white flag. The fact he repeatedly insists on referring to her as "it" should clue you in that he does not view vampires as worthy of any rights whatsoever besides the right to die. And there's also no way Serana would be stupid enough not to realize this. If she really needed to talk to you and knew you'd turn up at Fort Dawnguard sooner or later then the obvious thing she would do is quietly stake out the cave entrance and wait for you to show up.

So they made Serana slobberingly stupid and Isran suffer from advanced dementia for the sake of making Serana's appearance slightly more dramatic. And that's pretty much what you need to know about Dawnguard's writing. It doesn't get any better from there.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 5, 2016

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The dlc also makes virtually no deal out of you suddenly becoming a powerful ancient looking monster vampire thing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

And Serana's sardonicism is way overdone.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Dawnguard is the epitome of "Bethesda writing". It's got everything: literally throwing power in your face without anyone so much as batting an eye, a veneer of grandiosity that is so quickly chipped away that you end up debating if it was there in the first place, an impossible Mary Sue, and illogical game-y bullshit. It's all there.

The whole Falmer reveal was pretty cool, though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Gonkish posted:

Dawnguard is the epitome of "Bethesda writing". It's got everything: literally throwing power in your face without anyone so much as batting an eye, a veneer of grandiosity that is so quickly chipped away that you end up debating if it was there in the first place, an impossible Mary Sue, and illogical game-y bullshit. It's all there.

The whole Falmer reveal was pretty cool, though.

Chatting with the chill dragon was neat.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
My favorite part of Dawnguard is Laura Bailey. But then, she's my favorite thing in anything she's in. :allears:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
But that's what makes it all so tragic, they had Laura goddamn Bailey and they COMPLETELY WASTED her talents :sigh:

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

PureRok posted:

My favorite part of Dawnguard is Laura Bailey. But then, she's my favorite thing in anything she's in. :allears:

The best part of Skyrim's voice acting is and remains Jean "A NEW HAND TOUCHES THE BEACON" Gilpin.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Winter Stormer posted:

The best part of Skyrim's voice acting is and remains Jean "A NEW HAND TOUCHES THE BEACON" Gilpin.

I want a mod where you can get Dawnbreaker and then storm Castle Volikhar and proceed to just murder every single creature you find there and put an end to the vampire threat, and then head over to Fort Dawnguard and give everyone there a crotch chop like :boom:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Can you not assign armor to SkyUI's quick slot groups? I can add the item to the group but it doesn't equip when I use the hotkey.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The only good part of being a Vampire Lord is that it stops people attacking you at stage four vampirism so you just never transform and keep that sweet 25% stealth bonus, free invisibility spell etc

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The only good part of being a vampire lord is that when you've had a lovely day you can transform and then laugh at how dumb your character looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Can you not assign armor to SkyUI's quick slot groups? I can add the item to the group but it doesn't equip when I use the hotkey.

It works, the group hotkey was unassigned