Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

NickRoweFillea posted:

He played under the code of ballshido, a most honorable hooper

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jack's Flow posted:

Is Isaiah Thomas really 5'9"? He seems even smaller. Anyway, he's viciously attacking 1990-91 Michael Adams for the title of best single scoring season by a small dude (< 6 feet) ever.

He is one of the great short scorers. Players under six feet single-season:

code:
NP	Player		Season
351.16	Dana Barros	1994-95
209.92	Calvin Murphy	1973-74
201.64	Isaiah Thomas	2015-16
189.92	Isaiah Thomas	2013-14
185.36	Terrell Brandon	1995-96
172.6	Calvin Murphy	1975-76
169.08	Michael Adams	1988-89
167.32	Dana Barros	1995-96
150.88	Isaiah Thomas	2014-15
146	Ty Lawson	2010-11
141.72	Isaiah Thomas	2012-13
Career:

code:
NP	Player
1218.84	Calvin Murphy
1120.36	Dana Barros
849.68	Isaiah Thomas
653.08	Michael Adams
640.76	Spud Webb
624.36	Ty Lawson
398.92	Nate Robinson
375.08	Terrell Brandon
289.4	Avery Johnson
287.48	Chucky Atkins
286.84	Scott Brooks
241.68	Bill Keller

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Let it be known that buddy hield got a standing ovation when he checked in 🙌🙌🙌

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Metapod posted:

Let it be known that buddy hield got a standing ovation when he checked in 🙌🙌🙌

From which team's fans?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

From which team's fans?

They are playing @ okc

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Also, the okc crowd went deathly silent when he airballed a 3 a few seconds after checking in.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Kibner posted:

They are playing @ okc

Yeah, it was a clumsy joke about a team being happy to see Buddy Hield, professional athlete playing against your team.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Draymond is great and ya'll are huge whiny babies.

Unprecedented dirty? Get out of here with that poo poo, did you even watch the NBA in the 90's? May I introduce you to one Karl Malone?

(I'm only half serious about Dray. Though I will say that last kick on Harden didn't look bad live in real time. From my point of view it looked like Dray was a bit out of control from being hit and Harden actually fell down under his leg. But I'm maybe a tad biased.)

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Spite posted:

Unprecedented dirty? Get out of here with that poo poo, did you even watch the NBA in the 90's? May I introduce you to one Karl Malone?

(I'm only half serious about Dray. Though I will say that last kick on Harden didn't look bad live in real time. From my point of view it looked like Dray was a bit out of control from being hit and Harden actually fell down under his leg. But I'm maybe a tad biased.)

Have you seen him kick a mans fingers out of location?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/TommyBeer/status/805590558253182977

God

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
:lol: I had no idea rip Hamilton grew his nails long so he could slash dudes on the court that's amazing

quote:

Celtics guard Ray Allen joined Michael Jordan and several other NBA stars, including Rip Hamilton, in Las Vegas before training camp to take part in promotional work for Jordan’s Jumpman brand. Allen said he talked to Hamilton about his fingernails, which prompted Allen to wear an arm sleeve against the Pistons in the playoffs last season. “He was saying how when he saw me come out the next game with an arm sleeve on, they started laughing about it,” said Allen. “And then I said, ‘Look, man, I’m wearing an arm sleeve because . . .’ And then I picked his hand up and looked at his nails. And his nails were way out. He said, ‘Man, I didn’t know I cut people up like that. People tell me all the time that I need to cut my nails, but I don’t know what I’m doing.’ I told him, ‘Come on, dog, you know why you’re using them.’ “

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Zogo posted:

He is one of the great short scorers. Players under six feet single-season:

code:
NP	Player		Season
351.16	Dana Barros	1994-95
209.92	Calvin Murphy	1973-74
201.64	Isaiah Thomas	2015-16
189.92	Isaiah Thomas	2013-14
185.36	Terrell Brandon	1995-96
172.6	Calvin Murphy	1975-76
169.08	Michael Adams	1988-89
167.32	Dana Barros	1995-96
150.88	Isaiah Thomas	2014-15
146	Ty Lawson	2010-11
141.72	Isaiah Thomas	2012-13
Career:

code:
NP	Player
1218.84	Calvin Murphy
1120.36	Dana Barros
849.68	Isaiah Thomas
653.08	Michael Adams
640.76	Spud Webb
624.36	Ty Lawson
398.92	Nate Robinson
375.08	Terrell Brandon
289.4	Avery Johnson
287.48	Chucky Atkins
286.84	Scott Brooks
241.68	Bill Keller

Iverson would own those lists if he didn't insist on lying about his height.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Spite posted:

what about the one where he tried to kick a man in he rear end?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Papercut posted:

Sheed was never dirty at all. Like he's probably one of the least dirty players ever, he was too proud to do anything but beat you straight up, which is why he would get so emotional about bad calls.
i didn't say he was dirty, i said that sheed was the light-hearted yang to draymonds yang.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

straight up brolic posted:

i didn't say he was dirty, i said that sheed was the light-hearted yang to draymonds yang.

The light hearted yang to some kicks in the wang LOL

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Dear Kobe,
For nearly as long as I’ve been alive,
you’ve been in the NBA.
But when I turn 21 in June,
you won’t be entering
your 21st season
that fall.
So what do you do
when your inspiration
Retires?
When you no longer
get to watch
the person you look up to
do what they love?
You keep their love
for the game
growing
in your heart.
You keep their flame lit
And you add fuel to the fire.
You use all the inspiration
they gave you
to fiercely pursue your dreams,
and keep their magic alive
through yourself.
And that’s exactly what I’ll do.
I’ll keep my ‘Mamba Mentality’ sharp,
While I stare at my face and find the beauty in my scars
That beauty is struggle and strength,
and I thank you
for showing me the art
of always getting back up to fight.
And that’s what I’ll do.
I’ll fight
And I’ll push
And I’ll fight some more.
You taught me not to quit,
not to cower
and not to run
You showed me how to endure and conquer.
Mamba Mentality means 'never die attitude’
& there are not enough words
to express my gratitude
For all that you’ve done.
While you’ll always be the kid
with the rolled up socks,
garbage can in the corner,
:05 seconds on the clock
I want you to know
I’ll always be the kid
garbage cans as goal posts,
penalty kick in the 90th minute.
Step, step, shoot, score.
Because of you.
You are my muse.
Forever Inspired & Grateful,
Emily

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jDsS_rGPDg

:stare:

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

ChickenMedium posted:

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Gay Cousins Outlaw Love Temple

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

EvanTH posted:

Gay Cousins Outlaw Love Temple

- Chartered by Pastor Mark Jackson

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
this is chris broussard reporting to you LIVE from the golden shower center

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Dana Barros was never a bad player or anything but his one outlier All-Star year where he shot like 45% from three on 5 attempts a game was so weird.

(second best outlier season in NBA history to Mike James' lone year as a Raptor)

roundmidnight fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 5, 2016

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

roundmidnight posted:

Dana Barros was never a bad player or anything but his one outlier All-Star year where he shot like 45% from three on 5 attempts a game was so weird.

(second best outlier season in NBA history to Mike James' lone year as a Raptor)

Nah. He was the Sixers main dude other than Spoon that year. He was always a sniper.

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 5, 2016

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Earl Watson reveals that he is a total loving square and pushes gateway drug theory in response to Steve Kerr's comments

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18199075/earl-watson-phoenix-suns-responds-steve-kerr-stance-marijuana-usage-cope-pain

Also, how did I miss Earl Watson becoming head coach of the Suns

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

chunkles posted:

Earl Watson reveals that he is a total loving square and pushes gateway drug theory in response to Steve Kerr's comments

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18199075/earl-watson-phoenix-suns-responds-steve-kerr-stance-marijuana-usage-cope-pain

Also, how did I miss Earl Watson becoming head coach of the Suns

Coach Earl looks like some LOTR character so he'd better not bitch about Gandalf and his weed.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Also, small sample size update :siren: Chinanu Onuaku is shooting 87% on underhanded free throws :siren:

Also, Gary Payton the Second scored 51 points.

Haven't heard a peep about D-Mo but I think tomorrow is the day they have to match or pass

chunkles fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 5, 2016

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I feel like Dana Baros had a career that was too short but then I look at his stats and he played like thirteen years and I didn't even know.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Spite posted:

source your quotes

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

straight up brolic posted:

Dear Kobe,
For nearly as long as I’ve been alive,
you’ve been in the NBA.
But when I turn 21 in June,
you won’t be entering
your 21st season
that fall.
So what do you do
when your inspiration
Retires?
When you no longer
get to watch
the person you look up to
do what they love?
You keep their love
for the game
growing
in your heart.
You keep their flame lit
And you add fuel to the fire.
You use all the inspiration
they gave you
to fiercely pursue your dreams,
and keep their magic alive
through yourself.
And that’s exactly what I’ll do.
I’ll keep my ‘Mamba Mentality’ sharp,
While I stare at my face and find the beauty in my scars
That beauty is struggle and strength,
and I thank you
for showing me the art
of always getting back up to fight.
And that’s what I’ll do.
I’ll fight
And I’ll push
And I’ll fight some more.
You taught me not to quit,
not to cower
and not to run
You showed me how to endure and conquer.
Mamba Mentality means 'never die attitude’
& there are not enough words
to express my gratitude
For all that you’ve done.
While you’ll always be the kid
garbage can in the corner,
:05 seconds on the clock
I want you to know
I’ll always be the kid
garbage cans as goal posts,
penalty kick in the 90th minute.
Step, step, shoot, score.
Because of you.
You are my muse.
Forever Inspired & Grateful,
Emily

i wrote this

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Up Circle posted:

i wrote this

You're the laker girl rick dunked on

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I might be mixing rick stories up because he also dunked on a deaf kid

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Libertine posted:

Sheed never broke any rules that weren't yelling bullshit at seat rattling decibel level. If you want dirty Pistons players you want Laimbeer and Mahorn.

It's all before my time, but I literally had a conversation about those two guys with my dad a few hours ago because I brought up Laimbeer as the most hated basketball player of all time. My dad strictly maintained that Rick Mahorn was worse because they were both dirty as gently caress, but Laimbeer could actually play basketball, wheras Mahorn just existed to play a little defense and get in fights.

shoutout to basketball dads

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Time posted:

I might be mixing rick stories up because he also dunked on a deaf kid

it was an underage deaf laker girl.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

"You’ve got to play the game the right way..." -LeBron James
https://sports.yahoo.com/news/lebron-james-after-three-cavs-straight-losses-weve-got-to-get-out-of-the-honeymoon-stage-205402341.html

ChickenMedium posted:

He'd have two of the top ten seasons and be #3 for career.

Longest since 1989 Jordan did seven straight.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
i like that we joked about russ going supernova this season and it's actually happening

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Clippers should trade everyone and start over. Ok, thx.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Week 6 Power Rankings
1. Raptors - In a week where so many teams were mediocre, they were really good.
2. Rockets - getting blown out by the Jazz is an ill portent but could be explained as a schedule loss.
3. Spurs - I'm not as down on them as Spurs fans are lately, still the Magic loss had to be hard to watch.
4. Clippers - In an up and down week, the Cavs win actually doesn't look that big anymore due to how the Cavs played this week but I still think it at least answers the question "can the Clippers beat good teams?"
5. Thunder - Feasting on the bad teams in the league, but they looked dead in the water last week and it's good that they bounced back.
6. Cavs - Car is on cruise control but Lebron is struggling to stay awake behind the wheel.
7. Warriors - No good wins but even I can't call them irrelevant.
[Irrelevant Section]
29. Sixers - The Earth itself decided to actively make sure they played one less basketball game this week.
30. Hawks - They looked very, very bad last week.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Rick posted:

Week 6 Power Rankings
1. Raptors - In a week where so many teams were mediocre, they were really good.
2. Rockets - getting blown out by the Jazz is an ill portent but could be explained as a schedule loss.
3. Spurs - I'm not as down on them as Spurs fans are lately, still the Magic loss had to be hard to watch.
4. Clippers - In an up and down week, the Cavs win actually doesn't look that big anymore due to how the Cavs played this week but I still think it at least answers the question "can the Clippers beat good teams?"
5. Thunder - Feasting on the bad teams in the league, but they looked dead in the water last week and it's good that they bounced back.
6. Cavs - Car is on cruise control but Lebron is struggling to stay awake behind the wheel.
7. Warriors - No good wins but even I can't call them irrelevant.
[Irrelevant Section]
29. Sixers - The Earth itself decided to actively make sure they played one less basketball game this week.
30. Hawks - They looked very, very bad last week.

I love you Rick but :laffo:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I don't know why you guys have such a hardon for Bogut- he played 20mpg last year. He wasn't that important a player for them. They took him out of games all the time if they thought they could get away with it.

Also Zaza moves the ball pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Panzeh posted:

I don't know why you guys have such a hardon for Bogut- he played 20mpg last year. He wasn't that important a player for them. They took him out of games all the time if they thought they could get away with it.

Also Zaza moves the ball pretty well.

They definitely played him situationally which is important, and the team was frequently able to build leads in those 20mpg he played. He wasn't the most important player by a long shot, but he gave them an option for a defensive identity when he was out there and it was part of what made the team able to hit those high defensive notes.

It's not just Bogut, they swapped out him, Ezeli, and Speights who all represented 48 minutes of play or about 20% of the teams total. Their defense was going to be something other than what they were.

• Locked thread