Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Looper posted:

Also I hope TLOU Part 2 is as much of a ridiculous shift as Jak 2 was

Jak 2 was literally Jak being more angry and edgier.

Daxter: Jak say something. All these years, you have to say something.

Jak: I'M GONNA KILL BARON PRAXIS :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Shindragon posted:

Jak 2 was literally Jak being more angry and edgier.

Daxter: Jak say something. All these years, you have to say something.

Jak: I'M GONNA KILL BARON PRAXIS :argh:

That's... surprisingly in tune with the TLoU2 trailer, now that you've reminded me of it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Quest For Glory II posted:

The Crashed of Us

It's legitimately one of the saddest/creepiest things I've ever heard of in nature. Especially when it means dying due to starvation or suffocation from choking on your own tumors. :smith:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
please make an aaa game about penguins

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

it's not AAA but you should check out Space Station Silicon Valley

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Mega Man 9 is the best MM.

It gave us this mix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cA06uWV_-c

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Wildtortilla posted:

you fucker I was literally coming here to post that

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

corn in the bible posted:

But Kojima already made one??

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

poo poo, that's good.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Man, 20XX's procedural levels get boring really fast.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
MM9 is great, I think I'd only pick 2 & 3 as be being better at least among the classic-numbered MMs. It has one of the most fun weapon loadouts in the franchise.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

2 and 3 being the Mega Man sweet spot is almost not debatable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, MM9 is either my 2nd or 3rd favorite. It has fantastic music, an amazing weapon loadout, really fun bosses and in general just does almost everything right without getting overly bloated.

People say "It's nothing but spikes and pits" and I genuinely don't get it, especially if you compare it to the other games.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Also Mega Man X is the best in the X series because of any of these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=results

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'd easily put mm9 over 2 since the latter has some real crappy fortress bosses.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
MM9 feels like it's full of cheap deaths in the same sense Dark Souls feels like it's full of cheap deaths. MM9 was my favorite game the year it came out. I played it to death with my roommate our senior year on his Wii and then I bought it on my 360 after graduation and played it another few times. The game is no push over that's for sure, but once it clicks with you it clicks hard and it rules.

But it's still no MMX. MMX is one of the few perfect video games ever made.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mega Man X is probably the only Mega Man game that makes it into my top 20-30 favorites, if only because it's the only one i can just kind of pop on and play like it's background music after a tough day, play the whole thing through, and not feel frustrated at all.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The X series is so weird because the first game is so great, maybe even the best MM game ever created, but virtually every sequel it got was worse and in some cases WAY worse than just everything else in the franchise.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
The MMX series peaked with its first entry. I pretend the others don't exist.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'm interesting trying Let It Die because it's a free Suda 51 rougelike but I'll be damned if i can stop playing FFXV

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

X1 X2 and X4 are great, X3 is good, X5 is okay, and the rest aren't worth mentioning.

People keep trying to tell me X8 is okay and they're wrong.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Motto posted:

Man, 20XX's procedural levels get boring really fast.

Procedurally generated things that aren't poo poo are the exception.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

Procedurally generated things that aren't poo poo are the exception.

You've got to have SSS tier gameplay if you're going to leave stuff like level design and art direction to chance for me.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
X2 is great if you want more Mega Man X, it's almost as good but with a few mediocre sections. It and X are the only ones I recommend without any real caveats.

X3 is okay but a bit boring.

X4 gives things a fresh coat of paint, lets you play as Zero for real but overall doesn't feel as good as X1 or X2.

X5 is weird and even more unpolished but I still enjoyed it and it has a few cool moments.

I've only played a bit of X6, it's well-known ridiculous trash but has some good music.

X7 is X7.

X8 is not X7.

Command Mission is uninspired and I never finished it but battles were fun enough.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I only beat X2 and X3 once and then said "well, those were okay, but that's enough." Then I just played X.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfTsvWTtoiQ

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
BURN TO THE BURN TO THE GROUND

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'll never understand what people see in X4. Putting aside the incredibly awful voice acting and anime cutscenes, it's also an ugly-rear end game that has terrible aesthetics and the level design is pretty weak compared to the SNES games. Zero also kinda sucks to play as, and X's buster just feel kinda puny and pathetic compared to what it was in the good games. I mean yeah, it's way better than X5 and X6, but that doesn't mean it's good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Zero is a blast to play as, you're nuts. And the anime cutscenes are so-bad-it's-good quality.

Though the Sigma vs Zero flashback fight was genuinely alright.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Lurdiak posted:

I'll never understand what people see in X4. Putting aside the incredibly awful voice acting and anime cutscenes, it's also an ugly-rear end game that has terrible aesthetics and the level design is pretty weak compared to the SNES games. Zero also kinda sucks to play as, and X's buster just feel kinda puny and pathetic compared to what it was in the good games. I mean yeah, it's way better than X5 and X6, but that doesn't mean it's good.

Compare to how he played in X3? He was pretty drat horrible in that.

X4 he was a blast to play with.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Shindragon posted:

Compare to how he played in X3? He was pretty drat horrible in that.

X4 he was a blast to play with.

No, in X3 he just played like Mega Man but with tons of health and a super strong sword. Then for some reason they decided he should be SWORD GUY and never use a buster, and that was laaaaame.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mega Man 6 has a double jump :dogstare:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Edit: :staredog:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

hoo hah hoe!

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Phantasium posted:

hoo hah hoe!

GET READY

edit: My main beef with Zero in X3 was welp, he dies? Can't use him ever again.

That just sucks.

I do agree with the whole him just being a sword guy though. They tried that in X5 and making him stay still when he shoots was a bad idea.

It being weak as poo poo and no charge? Also a bad idea.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Phantasium posted:

hoo hah hoe!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
X6 levels that are okay:
Blizzard Wolfang
Commander Yammark
Rainy Turtloid
Metal Shark Player

Three of the others aren't like, utterly miserable, but Blaze Heatnix's level is one of the worst in any video game, much less Mega Man. Also this kind of assumes none of the Nightmare mechanics are in play, which is the real problem with X6 imo

But realtalk ya boy Dynamo and his music are in X6 which is very good

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Blaze Heatnix is probably the worst WORST level on X6. Like, first off you have to fight at stupid big rear end donut, like what four times? Then to top it off, you have to go through a slooooooow crawl up the platforms and there is the instan-death fire rising from below.

And then fight itself? Spoiler in case Looper wants to do it blind Even better when he's at low health is when he covers half the screen in instan death fire.

Only thing that stage going for it is the theme playing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Beat me to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Shindragon posted:

Blaze Heatnix is probably the worst WORST level on X6. Like, first off you have to fight at stupid big rear end donut, like what four times? Then to top it off, you have to go through a slooooooow crawl up the platforms and there is the instan-death fire rising from below.

And then fight itself? Spoiler in case Looper wants to do it blind Even better when he's at low health is when he covers half the screen in instan death fire.

Only thing that stage going for it is the theme playing.

I've played X6 enough to actually kind of like it (because I prefer playing as Zero and it feels like levels were designed for him), but I'd rather cheat my way into the fortress levels by beating High Max than deal with that garbage

• Locked thread