Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Lima posted:

I got the last two Imp ranks through mining missions without even trying (pre muh-immersion nerf). If they're still a thing and spamable and you like mining then mix up the tedious grind with that for a bit :v:
Mining missions seem to give less rep than courier/passenger missions on top of taking longer and being harder to find. Immersion! :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
oh cool i want to get started with the PAC engineer but the faction I need to get his intro mission from aren't giving out missions for some reason.

gg frontier :thumbsup:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Why is it recommended to avoid Saitek products in the OP? I picked up Elite: Dangerous during the Fall Sale, and I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but I found my old joystick, and it turns out it's a Saitek ST290. Are Saitek products not really well made, or is there some other reason?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

Why is it recommended to avoid Saitek products in the OP? I picked up Elite: Dangerous during the Fall Sale, and I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but I found my old joystick, and it turns out it's a Saitek ST290. Are Saitek products not really well made, or is there some other reason?

Saitek got bought out by Mad Katz at one point and their quality control went down the toilet. If you get lucky it works fine, it not it's pretty much broken out of the box.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Max Wilco posted:

If you already have a stick, use it. I have a pre-mad catz era x52 and it works great, even after all these years. My friend bought the x55 about a year ago and has had good luck with it. But if you're looking to put money into a new product, probably best to avoid the risk and go with another brand. The recent sale of saitek to Logitech could revive the brand, but there's no way to know if the product you buy today isn't a pre-logitech manufactured product.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Max Wilco posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkliSUIqgAY

To save you some hassle, either their HOTAS is designed to die after a particular duration of use or else they never corrected that design flaw over a period of years.

Malice or incompetence? You choose.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

oh cool i want to get started with the PAC engineer but the faction I need to get his intro mission from aren't giving out missions for some reason.

gg frontier :thumbsup:

I got that Alioth poo poo and the 50t of Bromellite done last weekend. Haven't used the 5 shiny efficient grade 5 Super-PACs on my FdL yet, as I am now flying 50t of Fujin tea in 5t lots to the next rear end in a top hat to upgrade my lasers.

After the grind is before the grind.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Somebody talk me out of dipping back into Power Play and grinding up enough merits to get Pack Hunters from Li Yong-Rui. I kinda want to try a gently caress-you-de-lance with like, a C4 healbeam and four pack hunters.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Im about to sell an x55 saitek. Its got all the right buttons but the slide throttle and stick movement felt crappy. Thrustmasters got just about enough buttons and feels much nicer. And is $100 cheaper

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
I got my Alioth permit over a year ago when I heard you could get 20% off ships at one station there.

Turns out it was just the Orca and Eagle...

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
If I'm grinding courier missions in Alioth for Empire rep:

If I have capped out all the Empire factions at max allied, will continuing to do missions for them give me Empire rank rep? Or do I have to go elsewhere now?

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Im about to sell an x55 saitek. Its got all the right buttons but the slide throttle and stick movement felt crappy. Thrustmasters got just about enough buttons and feels much nicer. And is $100 cheaper

You could do what I did and lose your god-damned mind, then buy a Thrustmaster Warthog.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kavros posted:

If I have capped out all the Empire factions at max allied, will continuing to do missions for them give me Empire rank rep? Or do I have to go elsewhere now?

So long as the mission giver faction is Empire it'll keep giving you superpower rep regardless of local standing.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The EXO Pilot's Guide is actually really well done.
Better than the in-game tutorial videos and missions.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

DancingShade posted:

So long as the mission giver faction is Empire it'll keep giving you superpower rep regardless of local standing.

Thank God.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Exit Strategy posted:

You could do what I did and lose your god-damned mind, then buy a Thrustmaster Warthog.

Or in that price bracket a VKB Gladiator Pro.

Put it this way, you'll need to watch this installation video to bolt the stick to the base after you open the box: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhMdguGVMXs

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008

Kavros posted:

Naa, they still give the empire-rank, no worries

e: beaten

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Apologies in advance as this has no doubt been asked a million times, (I haven't played since before Horizons and the Federal Corvette, etc came out, and haven't kept up with the thread) but would an SRV be a decent investment for my old exploration Diamondback, if I'm prepared to make the time investment to get the resources needed for increased FSD boosts? Or is the added weight (and time investment I suppose) simply not worth it, on an explorer?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
God yes slap an SRV onto anything that isn't a dedicated trader/combat boat. Not that it makes money as such but hooning around moons is fun in general, plus it's the best way to score tons of engineering materials quickly.

Nothing like rocking up to an engineer with 200 common materials you gathered in an hour and levelling them to tier 5 on the spot.

Also they're pretty cheap so you should recoup the investment in 1-2 systems worth of scanning. As an explorer you can also use SRVs to harvest & synthesize stuff (I think?) but that's not a thing I worry about so I can't advise on that.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DancingShade posted:

God yes slap an SRV onto anything that isn't a dedicated trader/combat boat. Not that it makes money as such but hooning around moons is fun in general, plus it's the best way to score tons of engineering materials quickly.

Nothing like rocking up to an engineer with 200 common materials you gathered in an hour and levelling them to tier 5 on the spot.

Also they're pretty cheap so you should recoup the investment in 1-2 systems worth of scanning. As an explorer you can also use SRVs to harvest & synthesize stuff (I think?) but that's not a thing I worry about so I can't advise on that.

Hmm, ok that sounds promising - can you synthesize ship fuel, or just SRV fuel, btw? Also, is this effective for long distance exploration as well, or only for more 'domestic'/fringe-of-society Exploration? (Also, how much weight do those materials take up on the SRV/ship? Since I imagine 200 units of those materials would be quote hefty)

Thanks for the info, anyway - sounds good, and I'll quite likely strap one on for long-distance exploring even if it's not SUPER useful, since it'll at least break up the monotomy a bit, once it reaches that point. (Oh also, if you destroy the SRV will you be returned with your ship -and therefore keep your exploration data- or will you go back to a station and effectively lose both ship and SRV - and therefore need to pay insurance on both?)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Major Isoor posted:

Hmm, ok that sounds promising - can you synthesize ship fuel, or just SRV fuel, btw? Also, is this effective for long distance exploration as well, or only for more 'domestic'/fringe-of-society Exploration? (Also, how much weight do those materials take up on the SRV/ship? Since I imagine 200 units of those materials would be quote hefty)

Thanks for the info, anyway - sounds good, and I'll quite likely strap one on for long-distance exploring even if it's not SUPER useful, since it'll at least break up the monotomy a bit, once it reaches that point. (Oh also, if you destroy the SRV will you be returned with your ship -and therefore keep your exploration data- or will you go back to a station and effectively lose both ship and SRV - and therefore need to pay insurance on both?)

I've literally never used the synthesize option for anything so I don't know but there are probably some in depth guides to it out there somewhere.

I've actually never lost an SRV. True story. I think they don't repair unless you dock somewhere so that might be why people take a couple if they go out into the black as spares. Pretty sure you just respawn in orbit if you actually do lose one though but hopefully someone else here can confirm/deny that.
(you can spend multiple minutes rolling down mountains on low grav worlds and if you're careful with thrusters you can still land the little blighters, SRVs are the ultimate off road vehicles)

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.
SRVs are repaired when you reboard your ship, but they aren't refueled; you have to synthesize that from gathered materials (which have no weight).

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Exit Strategy posted:

Already got a thrustmaster. Really, with the two sets of bindings you can switch between you'll have a button for everything you'll need immediately if you set up one for combat and another for pootling around or whatever

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Voyeur posted:

SRVs are repaired when you reboard your ship, but they aren't refueled; you have to synthesize that from gathered materials (which have no weight).

Oh nice! So, do they repair 100% instantly, or does it take a while to fully repair? Also, I take it that DancingShade was right about being dumped back on your ship in orbit if you destroy your SRV, by your lack of denial, on the topic?
(And if that's the case, does the SRV wreck get repaired, or is it lost? Bit hopeful I know, but thought I'd better double-check before getting home and starting the game to buy a pair)

Thanks again for the info!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Docking repairs it to 100% instantly.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Major Isoor posted:

There's are 2 types of vehicle bays, which trade power use for weight and vice versa. Use the lower weight one. The materials don't weigh anything so go nuts collecting as many as you want (up to 1000). It's something you want for long distance because some of the materials can boost your jump range up to 100%. If your SRV blows up you return to the ship.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Parallelwoody posted:

There's are 2 types of vehicle bays, which trade power use for weight and vice versa. Use the lower weight one. The materials don't weigh anything so go nuts collecting as many as you want (up to 1000). It's something you want for long distance because some of the materials can boost your jump range up to 100%. If your SRV blows up you return to the ship.

Ah excellent, thanks Parallelwoody and Truga! One last question, though: you said each material is capped at 1000 - is that per SRV or per ship? So, if I pick up resources in an SRV, go back to my ship to repair, will it automatically drop the materials off as well, or does it stay with the SRV, for storage purposes?
(So the example I'm thinking of is if I have two SRVs, use one to pick up materials, take it back to my ship to repair and hopefully also drop off the materials, THEN go back out and blow the SRV up, will I lose everything? Or will I effectively be able to continue where I left off with my second SRV? Excluding any additional materials that were on the first SRV post-dropoff and lost with it)

Thanks - and apologies for all these SRV questions! Just want to make sure I don't get marooned on a rock without a hope in hell of survival, I guess :D

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Major Isoor posted:

Ah excellent, thanks Parallelwoody and Truga! One last question, though: you said each material is capped at 1000 - is that per SRV or per ship? So, if I pick up resources in an SRV, go back to my ship to repair, will it automatically drop the materials off as well, or does it stay with the SRV, for storage purposes?
Thanks - and apologies for all these SRV questions! Just want to make sure I don't get marooned on a rock without a hope in hell of survival, I guess :D

(So the example I'm thinking of is if I have two SRVs, use one to pick up materials, take it back to my ship to repair and hopefully also drop off the materials, THEN go back out and blow the SRV up, will I lose everything? Or will I effectively be able to continue where I left off with my second SRV? Excluding any additional materials that were on the first SRV post-dropoff and lost with it)

Material storage is capped at 1000 total units, not 1000 for each material. It's not specific to a ship/srv. You don't lose any materials if your ship/srv is destroyed. You always have access to all materials you've gathered as you switch srv or ships.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Major Isoor posted:

Apologies in advance as this has no doubt been asked a million times, (I haven't played since before Horizons and the Federal Corvette, etc came out, and haven't kept up with the thread) but would an SRV be a decent investment for my old exploration Diamondback, if I'm prepared to make the time investment to get the resources needed for increased FSD boosts? Or is the added weight (and time investment I suppose) simply not worth it, on an explorer?

The DBX is the best non-corvette ship in the game.

I modded mine to carry a full load of weapons, shields, srv, fuel scoop, and it still jumps >50ly without boosting (after mods)!

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
What are you guys using for hard points on your corvette? I currently have 2 gimbaled MC in the class 4 spots, both G5 OC with incendiary and corrosive shells. The remainder are all gimbaled pulse lasers. Left them unmodded for now until the next balance patch hits.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

INTJ Mastermind posted:

What are you guys using for hard points on your corvette? I currently have 2 gimbaled MC in the class 4 spots, both G5 OC with incendiary and corrosive shells. The remainder are all gimbaled pulse lasers. Left them unmodded for now until the next balance patch hits.

C4 lightweight gimballed multis one corrosive, C2 gimballed beams unmodded, C3 PAC overcharged with the scrambler mod, C1 Seekers with extended ammo and one with drag munitions. PAC and M/C's make quick work of big ships, missiles are useful for small nimble shits.

E: the C3 slot has always been awkward to use for me, I just settled on something fixed and with a specific use. C3 missile rack would be perfect there but :shrug:

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 6, 2016

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Natsuumi posted:

Material storage is capped at 1000 total units, not 1000 for each material. It's not specific to a ship/srv. You don't lose any materials if your ship/srv is destroyed. You always have access to all materials you've gathered as you switch srv or ships.

And nobody knows why this isn't possible with engineering commodities. Or does someone?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Einbauschrank posted:

And nobody knows why this isn't possible with engineering commodities. Or does someone?

Ahaha because :frontear: of course.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Any update on that poll about removing commodities?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Boogalo posted:

Any update on that poll about removing commodities?
It's kind of hard to tell, since they didn't make it an actual poll (which is good because bollocks to letting the forums design by committee) but it seems like maybe an even split between "get rid of them until storage is in" and "don't give in to easymode whiners :black101:".

timn
Mar 16, 2010

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I currently run about the same except no experimental effects on the multicannons and lvl 5 efficiency mods on the pulse lasers. You really can't lose with the lvl 5 efficiency mods, and they seriously help with running just 1 pip in WEP for as long as possible during a fight.

I'm torn on experimental effects for the overcharged MCs. They have plenty of hull damage already to splat smaller ships and almost immediately obliterate the power plant on anything from an Asp up. Incendiary would give more shield damage to overpower C7 and C8 SCBs, or I could also just get better at ramming.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Yeah I'm saving my engineer mats for the promised efficient beam lasers. Maybe the new hotness.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Yeah I'm saving my engineer mats for the promised efficient beam lasers. Maybe the new hotness.

I'd love to see a vulture build based around that, my old V was super fun with two large beams but you didn't get a lot of shot out of a full cap even at 4 pips.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

timn posted:

I currently run about the same except no experimental effects on the multicannons and lvl 5 efficiency mods on the pulse lasers. You really can't lose with the lvl 5 efficiency mods, and they seriously help with running just 1 pip in WEP for as long as possible during a fight.

I'm torn on experimental effects for the overcharged MCs. They have plenty of hull damage already to splat smaller ships and almost immediately obliterate the power plant on anything from an Asp up. Incendiary would give more shield damage to overpower C7 and C8 SCBs, or I could also just get better at ramming.

For what it's worth, incendiary multicannons are bottled awesome in sheer flexibility. Plus they make these little puffs of superheated gas when you hit your target so they're on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Yeah, I actually already have overcharged incendiary MCs on my Vulture and they are amazing. For some reason I'm just shy about nerfing hull damage.

What I will probably look into sooner is dual efficient C4 PACs. :unsmigghh:

• Locked thread