Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

btw your waifu may boned for your bills as your cosigner/sponsor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

Shibawanko posted:

I'm going to go home for a while and won't renew my spouse visa I think (it expires in July), but I plan to come back in a few years with another spouse visa. Should I tell the government that I'm moving out? Should I just stop paying health insurance? Or can I just go home and let the visa expire?

There's a whole webpage with information about this
http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/newimmiact_1/en/q-and-a_page2.html
... but it's loving unreadable. It seems to threaten you with fines if you don't return your residence card, but does that really happen?

You're such a cheap prick lmao

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I was told by my father in law that I could simply cancel my health insurance and go home, and renew my visa before it expires if I feel I should. He is an immigration solicitor but my Japanese is not at the level where I can discuss complicated legal stuff with him, and my wife is already in Holland, she normally translates for this kind of stuff. He is my sponsor and said I could just go home and return whenever I want on my current visa, canceling my health insurance for the time and renewing or not as needed but I want to make sure.

I don't have outstanding bills or anything like that. Not sure how that makes me a "cheap prick". Do you people have anger issues?

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 1, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Wait, you're going back home to Holland and you're taking offense at being called a cheap prick?

I guess we're not going Dutch on this one. vOv

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
You need to check out with the city office where your residence is registered, because they're going to want their local inhabitants tax. If you don't square that away it could be an issue for future visas.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

zmcnulty posted:

Having just been to Kanazawa for the first time this past weekend, I'd say don't bother going if you'll be in Kyoto anyway. Unless you're really really into sushi or sake. Everyone there is so depressed too, even for Japanese

Legit question, what made it that depressing? Kanazawa is one of the two only major areas of JP I haven't been to (Shikoku being the other) and I'm planning on going there next fall possibly, so I'm legit curious as to why.

Also what if I do love sushi and nihonshu?

Mopp
Oct 29, 2004

Mopp posted:

Any recommendations on a small cool place near Osaka/Kyoto to spend an overnighter in the first days of January? We're looking for something to do before heading back to Tokyo and travel back the day before.

Nothing on this? Might just end up spending another day in Osaka.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Mopp posted:

Nothing on this? Might just end up spending another day in Osaka.

Nara.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Hey goons, my girlfriend and i just landed for a 2 week trip and we're getting straight out of tokyo and into kyoto for 4 or so days. Can i get that sweet low down on places to eat/visit (aside from the super obvious that have already made their way onto my missus's spreadsheet)

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Eastdrom posted:

Hey goons, my girlfriend and i just landed for a 2 week trip and we're getting straight out of tokyo and into kyoto for 4 or so days. Can i get that sweet low down on places to eat/visit (aside from the super obvious that have already made their way onto my missus's spreadsheet)

Have you tried matsuya?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Coco ichiban

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
My god, on a backpackers budget.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You might like these commonly available foods:

zaru soba
katsudon
okonomiyaki
yakitori
hanbaagu teishoku
cafe curry

Ask your ho(s)tel reception for a recommendation.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Looks like I'm not eligible for the unlimited JR Pass since even though I'm coming on a temporary visitor visa, it's a multiple entry visa, so it is exempt.

I'm staying in Tokyo and looking to make trips to Kyoto, Kobe, Kanazawa and Fukushima. Is buying tickets a la carte my only option?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Eastdrom posted:

My god, on a backpackers budget.

Is this true? For tokyo of all places?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
My hobby is to liquefy money into poop

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Gotta recommend Mouyan curry

Marugo or a Katsu place
Afuri ramen

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I'm guessing you will have to either shell out for trains, or sit on lots of buses. Flights are plentiful but depending on when you're coming it may already be too late. There's another pass called Tokyo Wide Pass which you can get if you have any foreign passport, but it's a far more limited area and goes to none of the places you mentioned so perhaps completely useless.

Also your post makes me wonder. Visas are no longer stickers in your passport, now they take the form of the zairyu card. The JR people just look for the sticker in your passport.

So let's say I leave Japan in March 2017, with the intention of coming back one day, so obviously I hold on to my zairyu card.

I visit family in the US in March and come back to Japan the next month. But when I come, I tell them I'm a tourist. So I get a temporary visitor one-time stamp in my passport. After traveling in Japan I once again leave the country and once again come back, but this time just using my zairyu card to get in again.

This raises some questions...
1. Would trying to enter as a tourist despite the fact that I legally already live in Japan be a no-no? Could I tell the immigration guy to just please ignore the re-entry card that you fill out when leaving the country, and give me a tourist stamp instead?
2. I have a valid work visa so would it be legal for me to work despite that I entered as a tourist?

I'm not really sure it would be worth the hassle but I do plan on leaving Japan twice next year so could be doable.

Edit: on further reflection this is probably a terrible idea since it likely implies lying to immigration at some stage.
I've never seen the JR guys actually check that the name on the Rail Pass is the name as the person using it, just FYI. They'll check the validity dates but I've never seen any of them say "are you REALLY John Doe?" and demand to see your passport.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 5, 2016

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

They do passport confirmation when you exchange the voucher for the jr pass (my parents got the Setouchi Pass in October). But they don't check ID at the station gate, so I guess you could pay a mule to order a jr pass, enter on a tourist visa, exchange it then give it to you?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Yeah they have your passport on file so I'd presume when you scan it would come up that you are/were a resident and bring up questions.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I have a valid college student visa to Japan but returned my zairyu card, and every single time I go as a tourist they still have to press a manual override key to bypass and give me a tourist visa. Usually takes them an extra 3 minutes to double check.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005

zmcnulty posted:

I'm guessing you will have to either shell out for trains, or sit on lots of buses. Flights are plentiful but depending on when you're coming it may already be too late. There's another pass called Tokyo Wide Pass which you can get if you have any foreign passport, but it's a far more limited area and goes to none of the places you mentioned so perhaps completely useless.

Also your post makes me wonder. Visas are no longer stickers in your passport, now they take the form of the zairyu card. The JR people just look for the sticker in your passport.

This raises some questions...
1. Would trying to enter as a tourist despite the fact that I legally already live in Japan be a no-no? Could I tell the immigration guy to just please ignore the re-entry card that you fill out when leaving the country, and give me a tourist stamp instead?
2. I have a valid work visa so would it be legal for me to work despite that I entered as a tourist?

I'm not really sure it would be worth the hassle but I do plan on leaving Japan twice next year so could be doable.

Edit: on further reflection this is probably a terrible idea since it likely implies lying to immigration at some stage.
I've never seen the JR guys actually check that the name on the Rail Pass is the name as the person using it, just FYI. They'll check the validity dates but I've never seen any of them say "are you REALLY John Doe?" and demand to see your passport.

This is really my main concern. I have one of those visa stickers in my US passport. It does say "temporary visitor" but it also says "multiple entry." I'm going there for work, so I really don't want to do something that would compromise me professionally.

I was thinking about getting this: http://hokuriku-arch-pass.com/en/
But I can't tell if the same visa restriction applies.

T Zero fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 5, 2016

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
When I got the Nikko pass they saw I was a white dude and didn't even ask me for anything other than money. I'm sure it will vary by location and person, but you may still get away with it in a lot of places.

However I would plan on it never working or you'll probably he disappointed.

Maybe you could show up with a US driver's license and claim you forgot passport in the hotel or something?

Planes can be a pain, but if timing and discounts line up they can be way cheaper than any pass. At times you see Okinawa for like 3000 yen and of course closer places too.

Aredna fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 6, 2016

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
I went to the JTB Travel office here today and showed them my passport. They shrugged and told me that if they don't accept my passport in Japan, I can return the travel voucher for a refund

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

cool! I hope it works.

and I wish ntan sempai would post more.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

peanut posted:

and I wish ntan sempai would post more.

hi!!!

I got back in October from Hokkaido/Aomori, visiting the eastern side of Hokkaido which I hadn't been to before (along with south and west Hokkaido) on a 1000km or so road trip. Someday when i'm not lazy I'll actually process all of those pictures.

PS: If you are going to places like Kanazawa, and even possibly to Kyoto from Tokyo, consider checking the availability of ANA and JAL flights. Both of those airlines offer 10800yen post-tax tickets per flight to any destination from Haneda, and JAL/ANA don't try to screw you over on fees for things like baggage like airlines in the US. A Shinkansen ticket one way is often something like 13000yen (unless you're using a JR pass). Also, the only requirements for these tickets are that you be a nonresident of Japan and have a ticket to/from the country. And, if you're lucky, you can often see flight tickets for even cheaper.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Guess I'm coming to Japan found. 12000 yen round trip ticket to Tokyo

Mopp
Oct 29, 2004

Mopp posted:

Any recommendations on a small cool place near Osaka/Kyoto to spend an overnighter in the first days of January? We're looking for something to do before heading back to Tokyo and travel back the day before.

I'm widening my search to any cool place to overnight between Osaka and around Tokyo. I want to try to find a good place before all the reservations are full :(

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Nara was suggested above but if you're talking about between Osaka and Tokyo, then you should consider Nagoya. A big proper city that will have restaurants etc open during the New Year's holidays.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
What days? What type of things are you looking to do? Jan 1-4 are often expensive and booked due to new years. Otherwise, it's perfect for an Onsen stay.

Random Recs:

Arima Onsen
Kobe
Himeji
Koyasan

Stretch:
Kiso Valley (warning snow/winter weather)
Izu Penninsula
Kinosaki (Onsen)
Isejima

Fuji Goko and Hakone are obvious trips as well, but I don't like these two because they are priced out and very known for foreign tourists now.

*edit* Yeah, if you aren't planning on doing Nara and need something to do, definitely go there. I just automatically assumed you were, since everybody who does Tokyo/Kyoto does. Nagoya's a large city with decent food and all, but in all honesty, I think Osaka/Tokyo both overshadow it unless you travel in Japan a lot or have particular food tastes.

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Dec 7, 2016

Mopp
Oct 29, 2004

ntan1 posted:

What days? What type of things are you looking to do? Jan 1-4 are often expensive and booked due to new years. Otherwise, it's perfect for an Onsen stay.

Random Recs:

Arima Onsen
Kobe
Himeji
Koyasan

Stretch:
Kiso Valley (warning snow/winter weather)
Izu Penninsula
Kinosaki (Onsen)
Isejima

Fuji Goko and Hakone are obvious trips as well, but I don't like these two because they are priced out and very known for foreign tourists now.

*edit* Yeah, if you aren't planning on doing Nara and need something to do, definitely go there. I just automatically assumed you were, since everybody who does Tokyo/Kyoto does. Nagoya's a large city with decent food and all, but in all honesty, I think Osaka/Tokyo both overshadow it unless you travel in Japan a lot or have particular food tastes.

We're planning to do Nara and daytrips from Kyoto the days before, so it's not on the list. :)

It's the night between 2-3 January. All the large places are already fully booked.

edit:
Koyasan was actually on the list before, but the temples we were looking at then didn't accept visitors during the dates we had in mind. However, I did manage to find an onsen for this period. Thanks for the tip, problem solved!

Mopp fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Dec 7, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Things to do in Nagoya/Aichi/Mie:

- JR Train museum
- Toyota auto museum
- Toyota technology museum
- Suzuka Circuit
- Ise Jingu
- Eat chicken wings
- Visit Critical Hit (retro video game bar)
- Visit Nagoya Castle and Osu Kannon

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Ise is pretty drat cool, but it's probably about the worst thing you could do at New Year's - single most important shrine in Japan and all that.

Last year, almost 500,000 people visited during the first three days of January.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Nagoya:
* one of best planetariums in the world
* hall of lights (or some name like that) illumination that looks cool
* nagashima spaland amusement park (no clue how it is in winter)

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
They've got that spiffy new Legoland too: https://www.legoland.jp/en/

Oh, and miso katsu. Eat all the miso katsu.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Aredna posted:

Nagoya:
* one of best planetariums in the world

Ya that planetarium is pretty cool. Same with the Toyota factory.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Stringent posted:

They've got that spiffy new Legoland too: https://www.legoland.jp/en/

This. Eat the miso Katsu. I have only had it once and hunger for misokatsu ever since.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I can vouch for the planetarium/science center.

Also, "eat chicken wings" was mentioned, but specifically eat the tebasaki wings at Sekai no Yamachan. You will not regret it, unless you would regret constantly wanting to eat them for the rest of your life.

edit: Note that there are locations of Sekai no Yamachan elsewhere in Japan, but they are EVERYWHERE in Nagoya, as that's where they're originally from. That is also why they have a ton of misokatsu stuff.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Stringent posted:

This.

Also this (miso nabe):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Failed the poo poo out of every section of the 通訳案内士 exam except the English one, AMA

edit: I'll probably try again next year, just for the hell of it

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 9, 2016