Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Luigi Thirty posted:

dick presence usually is unfortunately

dick presence sounds like a bloodborne secret boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

dick presence sounds like a bloodborne secret boss

Either that or a really weird christmas

Chalks fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 5, 2016

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

neat. and all the sorting algos get mixed up in my head because sorting is trivial in my lang, so i just remember that they're mostly "break array in half, do thing".

sorting is trivial in every lang, in the sense that every standard library can sort. nobody manually implements sorting.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Sapozhnik posted:

(heap sort is the best general purpose sort though, for the record)

I have implemented couple of sorts actually, but usually only special ones (toposort, cycle sort etc)

And maaaybe I was testing different quicksort variants for fun once? :v:

Also, both heapsort and in-place merge sort are poo poo. (The fotmer because its awfully slow for n log n algorithm, the latter because its not n log n) Adaptative quicj/merge sort or dual pivot quicksort is where its at. :v:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
dual pivot quicksort is supposed to have quadratic cases too, and in this case it has been established that the advocate of that is a person who farts rudely while speaking.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

uncurable mlady posted:

is programming games at all interesting from a hobby project perspective

I've never used unity or w/e and I have the artistic skills of a drunken bull moose

some android games got me a job, so yes. they were fun to make and play which was really good on the "keeping me motivated" front

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Asymmetrikon posted:

same, but only through hofs like fold and never explicitly (or as little explicitly as possible)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
In-place mergesort is totally n log n, in-place merging evenly-sized lists is linear in the number of elements and each element is merged log(n) times.

(It's slow because o(n) in-place merging has some pretty big overheads. To the point where a slower-than-o(n) yet simpler merge would still come out ahead on any realistic data set.)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i implemented sleepsort once

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

dropwizard is poo poo, it is aimed at the sort of people who would be happier writing python

e: not that there's necessarily anything wrong with python, i just don't see the point of writing python in java as opposed to writing python in python

which part

That is, what makes something "like python", what does dropwizard do that is "like python", and what benefits does your server/framework have over Dropwizard or its subcomponents because it's not/less "like python"?

FamDav fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 5, 2016

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

dual pivot quicksort is supposed to have quadratic cases too, and in this case it has been established that the advocate of that is a person who farts rudely while speaking.

It probably does, its not about defense against quadratic case as much as about trading (waaay) more swaps for (couple) less comparisons and coming out ahead in comparison to traditional quicksort, because swapping small elements is cheap, branching isn't.

Jabor posted:

In-place mergesort is totally n log n, in-place merging evenly-sized lists is linear in the number of elements and each element is merged log(n) times.

(It's slow because o(n) in-place merging has some pretty big overheads. To the point where a slower-than-o(n) yet simpler merge would still come out ahead on any realistic data set.)

AFAIK its overhead are so big its pointless to use rather than the algorithmically slower variant. (Which might be what you are saying in the parentheses)

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

fart simpson posted:

i implemented sleepsort once

Is this where you can't figure out a problem so give up in frustration, and then the next day you realise that it's not actually a problem?

Nehacoo
Sep 9, 2011

The hardest problem of computer science: naming things. What should I call the general interface for any source of input events in my game input system? Like it can be a keyboard key, a mouse button, a joystick/gamepad button/axis, etc. Right now I call it InputSource which isn't very descriptive.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
welp, just ICEd MSVC in file with 30 lines of simple templates (that are probably wrong, but still)

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

raminasi posted:

sorting is trivial in every lang, in the sense that every standard library can sort. nobody manually implements sorting.

I have implemented a manual bubble sort in cases where it is actually efficient, like just with 3 or 4 items, just for fun.

I am sure it annoyed someone but I don't really care.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

gonadic io posted:

Is this where you can't figure out a problem so give up in frustration, and then the next day you realise that it's not actually a problem?

no its the one where you sort a list of numbers by spawning a new thread for each one that sleeps for x duration where x is the number you're sorting.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

raminasi posted:

actually in embedded basically 90% of what we do is reimplement basic library features over and over

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

redleader posted:

i used recursion once, to merge two xml documents. the code was, needless to say, very bad. took me a while to get it right too

i am a v. terrible programmer
sounds like you noted a thing you did was bad and resolved not to repeat it, putting you ahead of like 80% of ppl I've ever worked with

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

point taken about the ease of implementation. i was considering that perhaps stability might be a more common requirement than no extra space, but if we're already in an environment where some kind of Arrays.Sort() method isn't available, maybe memory is that big of an issue.

http://thomas.baudel.name/Visualisation/VisuTri/inplacestablesort.html wow it's stable too, that's neat.

quote:

This code is litteraly copied from the C++ stl library and translated in Java.

shaggar homepage found.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Sapozhnik posted:

ehh

the only times you'll ever find yourself actually implementing any of them is in a programming interview, which should tell you something.

it is very rare that you'll need to care about what exact kind of sort your language's standard library sort is performing.

(heap sort is the best general purpose sort though, for the record)

you probably want a stable sort, like mergesort, and uh, an adaptive one means it goes O(n) on sorted data, it's neat

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Blinkz0rz posted:

cases in which you need recursion:

• traversal
  • mathy poo poo
  • ????

recursion or tail recursion? because tail recursion is basically just a loop that looks pretty. assuming a compiler/interpreter with TCO.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

uncurable mlady posted:

is programming games at all interesting from a hobby project perspective

I've never used unity or w/e and I have the artistic skills of a drunken bull moose

if the game involves some aspect that's interesting on the programming side, yes
if it's something where all the interesting bits are handled for you by the engine, not really

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

c tp s ruminating over interfaces, wondering just how stupid consumers are

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

HAHA jesus christ i just looked at our main competitor's product and their interface is literally:
foo('commandName', [varargs])
their entire API consists of more than a dozen 'functions' called as strings

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
c teaching s: Students of our new program (? no idea what these are properly called in english) wrote letter to people who oversee it, that they are overtaxed and my course is the main culprit.

I spent the last 20 minutes doing stats on their (self reported) times needed per homework, and after clearing out really bad data (no, you did not work 4891620 hours on a homework, especially not in a week) they are more or less on course to hit expected time requirements per course credit.

Welcome to university bitches. :black101:

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

they are in for a huge shock when they get their first programming job

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Xarn posted:

c teaching s: Students of our new program (? no idea what these are properly called in english) wrote letter to people who oversee it, that they are overtaxed and my course is the main culprit.

I spent the last 20 minutes doing stats on their (self reported) times needed per homework, and after clearing out really bad data (no, you did not work 4891620 hours on a homework, especially not in a week) they are more or less on course to hit expected time requirements per course credit.

Welcome to university bitches. :black101:

bone app the teeth posted:

they are in for a huge shock when they get their first programming job

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

catching kernel signals everyday!

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

my artisinal solution to control flow

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
In reality, we will ease up a bit, because while the average student should fit into the time limit, below average won't and we shouldn't make it impossible for them to pass as well.

The sad thing about this is that many academics agree with the above... because universities here are financed according to number of enrolled students.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

oh no blimp issue posted:

caching kernel signals everyday!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
ctps: currently being driven nuts by cache invalidation. loving microservices means to find out what forms a user has filled in takes like 6 (internal) http calls. The caches were fine for a while, but now we're resetting forms and it is loving everything up.

Either we get rid of the caches or every reset call needs to be duplicated to reset the cache too, making the microservices entirely pointless

Xarn posted:

In reality, we will ease up a bit, because while the average student should fit into the time limit, below average won't and we shouldn't make it impossible for them to pass as well.

The sad thing about this is that many academics agree with the above... because universities here are financed according to number of enrolled students.

Ask me about unethical marking practices in courseworks!!

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

ctps: sitting down @ the standup

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

gently caress the police

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

I just stand them up

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Soricidus posted:

I just stand them up

:golfclap:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

There's another way??

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

guess who's got two thumbs and found out that there's an entire class of stored procedures in prod using SELECT *?

but it's ok guys they properly prefixed it at least so it's really SELECT <tableName>.*

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

"<package> can't be updated since node.js after version 0.10 cannot run on this router because v8 dropped support for processors without a fpu in version 3.18"

i found it: the worst sentence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i always sit for stand up b/c it takes place 4 feet behind my desk so I just spin around

• Locked thread