Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MM6 is kinda way too easy but it's got some cool ideas when you get to the post-robot bosses and they make levels around you have access to the double jump and brick breaker. Probably the most unremarkable of the series so far though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The oil field level where enemies can create new hazards for you if you don't kill them fast enough was dope though.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That is one praise I will give X6. The fact you don't actually have to do all 8 stages. Just beat up that lame rear end High Max and bam fortress stage.

I know x5 also counts but I rarely RAAAAAARELY, maybe just once got that cannon to actually work.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
My favorite thing about X5 is Mega Man can finally duck.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Discount Viscount posted:

My favorite thing about X5 is Mega Man can finally duck.

I remember the incredibly cringey review title from some magazine being "Crouching X, Hidden Armor"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

I remember the incredibly cringey review title from some magazine being "Crouching X, Hidden Armor"

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I just booted up MMX for the first time after marathoning MM4,5 and 6 in one day and oh my god. This game is insane

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

I just booted up MMX for the first time after marathoning MM4,5 and 6 in one day and oh my god. This game is insane

MMX is really genuinely an amazing game.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In Training posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8eLoCtHB4E

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XnKNOyCFlE

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

MMX is really genuinely an amazing game.

I tried 4 different stages and couldnt beat any of the bosses making it the hardest mega man since 3.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also why does this game not have the slide...seems odd to walk that back

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

In Training posted:

Check out Chill Penguin's stage

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I just got $10 from Playstation for being a customer I guess but I dunno what to spend it on.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

rule #1 of mega man x: always chill penguin first

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Colonel posted:

rule #1 of mega man x: always chill penguin first

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my controversial mega man take is that zero 3 and 4 are the best mega man games ever made

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I tried 4 other levels that weren't Penguin because I didn't want to start out with an ice level. And now I'm paying for it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

my controversial mega man take is that zero 3 and 4 are the best mega man games ever made

Honestly from what I know about the Zero series I will probably share this opinion once I get there, since I understand they're more score attack focused and about replaying and perfecting shorter, harder levels.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I honestly really dislike the Zero games. They could have been fun to play, but the camera is so zoomed in and claustrophobic that it really sucks a lot of the enjoyment out of it for me.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

Honestly from what I know about the Zero series I will probably share this opinion once I get there, since I understand they're more score attack focused and about replaying and perfecting shorter, harder levels.

the first two zero games have lots of cool things but zero 1 suffers very hard from weapon exp and the worst lives system in mega man history and also pretty bland levels. zero 2 sets the grounds for the last two games but it's still really badly dragged down by weapon levels continuing to be a thing. zero 3 is pretty much perfect and zero 4 is almost as good but the equipment unlock system is worse and the zero arm is a much less valuable gimmick weapon than the one zero 3 gives you, it makes it way easier to get ex skills though but i think suffers for making ex skills elemental-focused instead of just cool sword techniques

i really like the world and characters of mega man zx but the first game is just plain not as good as zero 3 or 4 and marks the point where the lives system officially loses all value to the game design. zx advent is cool though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CJacobs posted:

I honestly really dislike the Zero games. They could have been fun to play, but the camera is so zoomed in and claustrophobic that it really sucks a lot of the enjoyment out of it for me.

I wouldn't mind a more zoomed in camera from X, it's an action packed game but it feels slower than the NES ones because of Mega Man's size relative to the world around him

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The menu also said there's a dash button but it doesn't do anything. Yet, at least.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

The menu also said there's a dash button but it doesn't do anything. Yet, at least.

you get the dash in chill penguin's stage. it's one of the weirdest quirks of x's design and the series never does it again

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I tried one of the Megaman X games and couldn't get into it.

That's my Megaman story, thank you.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In Training posted:

Just go fight chill penguin already

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It'll have to wait until tomorrow!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also the z-saber focus in the zero games easily gives them the best boss design of the entire series cause they're much heavier on more complicated but heavily telegraphed attacks and the z-saber itself gives a very different dynamic from just charging up a buster and then shooting, since the 3-hit combo is actually way stronger than the charge slash so it becomes a whole game of figuring out when is the best time to try and get in a full combo and when you should just hit them with a charge slash and jump away. x4 is sort of like that too, but zero is really chunky and slow and it doesn't feel nearly as satisfying, and x5 is just easy as heck

the most hilarious experience to have with the x series is playing x7 after playing any other game with zero. bonus points if you're playing it right after beating zero 4

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 5, 2016

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Bad Seafood posted:

I tried one of the Megaman X games and couldn't get into it.

That's my Megaman story, thank you.

That's fine.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shindragon posted:

Blaze Heatnix is probably the worst WORST level on X6. Like, first off you have to fight at stupid big rear end donut, like what four times? Then to top it off, you have to go through a slooooooow crawl up the platforms and there is the instan-death fire rising from below.

And then fight itself? Spoiler in case Looper wants to do it blind Even better when he's at low health is when he covers half the screen in instan death fire.

Only thing that stage going for it is the theme playing.

Plus wtf is a "Heatnix" ?

It should be Blaze Phoenix or Heat Phoenix. :v:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Zaphod42 posted:

Plus wtf is a "Heatnix" ?

It should be Blaze Phoenix or Heat Phoenix. :v:

Wtf is a Kuwanger

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

quote:

In actuality the name seems to be a play on words: Kuwagata is a japanese word meaning stag beetle. It's feasible that they combined "kuwagata" and "boomerang(er)" to come up with "Boomer Kuwanger", which then led to confused translators in America."

:eng101:

edit: Also, stag beetles rule because they fight each other for female stag beetles' affection by suplexing each other

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Dec 5, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I'm not sure which has a more hilarious disconnect with how Zero is presented at the end of Mega Man Zero 4. Mega Man X7, or Command Mission? Clunky, awkward, confused police guy, or TOTALLY RAD SURFER DUDE?

I'm gonna say the answer is

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Dec 5, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

This is a fair point though

CJacobs posted:

edit: Also, stag beetles rule because they fight each other for female stag beetles' affection by suplexing each other

Oh he's a beetle?! Finally it makes some sense.

A boomerang beetle.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

CJacobs posted:

I read Jojo, I know a lot about stag beetles fighting each other :anime:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I tried to look up a video of stag beetles doing sick suplexes on other stag beetles, but a bunch of videos of beetles owning huge spiders came up and as most of you know I am 200% not about that life. So you will have to look it up on your own, but trust me it's great.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

:hfive:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

It's why Bugzzy gives you the suplex power in Kirby :)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Has anyone tried Project: Highrise and can tell me if they think it would be fun and/or accessible enough for a 10-year-old to play? I have a skyscraper-obsessed nephew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

G O R E W A R N I N G

• Locked thread