Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm pretty sure it's the touchbar that's killing the battery life. I got the non-touchbar version and my battery life is phenomenal. Everyone I know who got the touchbar is constantly bitching about the battery life. It seems like Apple half-assed the new tech from a power management perspective. I wonder how long the engineers had access to production models to hammer out power issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

SaturdayKnight posted:

Yeah, the whole "one port for everything" narrative kinda falls apart when they are never gonna remove the lightning port on the iPhone and iPad in favor of USB-C. Might as well have gone with MagSafe 3. Would have preferred that to the weird situation we have now.

https://griffintechnology.com/intl/breaksafe-magnetic-usb-c-power-cable

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Honestly if the issue is that Apple totally forgot to account for the power drain of the touchbar in their estimates of usage time, this is the one time I would agree they deserve a class action lawsuit. Most of the time I hate all the threats of a class action suit against Apple for every perceived slight but if it's actually just plain stupidity, lol bring it on.

How can they claim an accurate battery test that forgets to actually use the computer

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

flosofl posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the touchbar that's killing the battery life. I got the non-touchbar version and my battery life is phenomenal. Everyone I know who got the touchbar is constantly bitching about the battery life. It seems like Apple half-assed the new tech from a power management perspective. I wonder how long the engineers had access to production models to hammer out power issues.

Don't forget though that the non-touchbar 13" MBP has a lower power processor/GPU and a larger battery than its touchbar 13" MBP counterpart.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Krispy Kareem posted:

Also, Apple doesn't think you need to charge your laptop as often now. Apple's getting rid of any port you don't use in any given week. If your laptop battery lasts 12 hours you don't need a power cord that magnetically disconnects because you aren't going to be charging it in crowded coffee shops or around children. If you're charging it in a dock or on a desk at night then you don't need an over-engineered MagSafe.

I could be completely wrong now (and Bob Howard or Binary Badger can correct me if I am), but it used to be that in order to get 100% utilization of CPU or GPU for a sustained period on a 15" (r)MBP, you had to have the power adapter connected so that between battery power and adapter it had the necessary power available (with the battery having some charge of course).

If that's still the case then I could easily see not infrequent circumstances where someone needs to be connected to power. Not everyone uses a rMBP fully unconnected, surfing for hipster websites while drinking a latte and waiting for uber.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

flosofl posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the touchbar that's killing the battery life.

I can't quite buy the idea that the touchbar hardware is doing it. The CPU in a 13" rMBP can consume 28W sustained. I doubt the touchbar can do more than about 1W sustained -- last I heard it's apparently an Apple Watch processor connected to a bigger display. The Watch chip won't use poo poo gently caress all for power (because an Apple Watch has poo poo gently caress all battery capacity), so the touchbar's display is bound to be nearly all its power budget, and that just isn't a lot of display area to light up. Seems unlikely to be a huge power consumer that can move battery life around a lot on its own.

Now, version 1.0 touchbar drivers which are ramping up the main x86 CPU an unnecessary amount because they were rushed out the door to make a release date? That's the kind of thing I can believe in.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

SourKraut posted:

I could be completely wrong now (and Bob Howard or Binary Badger can correct me if I am), but it used to be that in order to get 100% utilization of CPU or GPU for a sustained period on a 15" (r)MBP, you had to have the power adapter connected so that between battery power and adapter it had the necessary power available (with the battery having some charge of course).

If that's still the case then I could easily see not infrequent circumstances where someone needs to be connected to power. Not everyone uses a rMBP fully unconnected, surfing for hipster websites while drinking a latte and waiting for uber.

Usually the thing we would've been jabbering about is that on older MBPs with an end-user-removable battery, you had to have the battery installed for full performance even when plugged in. The AC adapter was good for about enough power to run the CPU and GPU at full speed on average, but it really was an average with peaks and valleys, and the AC adapter couldn't cover the peaks on its own. If there was no battery present, or the battery was in such poor condition that the system refused to recognize it, Apple designed the system to throttle the CPU back to a much slower speed so the computer wouldn't crash.

People used to run into this when they'd take a bulging or dead battery out of an old MB/MBP, intending to use it as a desktop machine anchored to an AC adapter. They'd try it and discover "hey, my computer's real slow for some reason".

As far as I know you can always hit max performance while on battery alone. The battery won't last super long if you do that, but it will do it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

Also, Apple doesn't think you need to charge your laptop as often now. Apple's getting rid of any port you don't use in any given week. If your laptop battery lasts 12 hours you don't need a power cord that magnetically disconnects because you aren't going to be charging it in crowded coffee shops or around children. If you're charging it in a dock or on a desk at night then you don't need an over-engineered MagSafe.

Of course, the new TouchBar MBP doesn't last 12 hours in real world use so maybe that was a lovely idea afterall.
Never using it on the adaptor will age the battery (cycling every time you use it) and it also throttles it's performance on battery. If you bought your MBP to browse the web this isn't an issue, but if you want to actually do work that requires processing power you'll want it plugged in.

BobHoward posted:

As far as I know you can always hit max performance while on battery alone. The battery won't last super long if you do that, but it will do it.
I haven't seen tests on the 2016 version but previous versions would still throttle some, even if all optimisations were disabled.
Also my GF's kitty has a fondness for pulling white cables and the magsafe is the only thing that's kept a Macbook on a table several times.
Glad we're still on the theme of 'solutions to problems that exist for no reason'.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Needs to be more flush...traveling with that thing jettisoned out of the machine is asking for it to break. Reminds me of people who keep mouse dongles permanently plugged in to their laptop.

But yeah, its a solution looking for a problem. Just don't string the cable across the room for people to trip on it? IDK, seems logical.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
This one protudes 4.8mm compared to 12.8mm https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/436147229/snapnator-your-macbook-snap-feature-is-back?ref=popular

KingEup fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 5, 2016

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

"This product exists, I guess."

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Mu Zeta posted:

"This product exists, I guess."

It is better than nothing, I guess. -unlawfulsoup SA senior analyst/critic/resident intellectual

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

this is not a product that exists in the real world

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

My existing music player that I used for running conked out and I'm looking at the nano or touch. Any thoughts on either product? Or are there decent non-Apple alternatives?

I'd prefer something with Bluetooth and Spotify but I could also just go wired with mp3s...

My 6S+ is way too big to run with.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Even as someone pretty pro Apple, this is ridiculous. If Jony Ive signed off on this he should be pistol whipped.

binarysmurf fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Dec 5, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

binarysmurf posted:

Even as someone pretty pro Apple, this is ridiculous. If Jony Ive signed off on this he should be pistol whipped.

In all honesty your computer is going to be barking at you for a week about the battery being low so if you can't just plug it in before you leave work/go to bed one of those days...

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Why doesn't apple like charging by induction

Seems like it would fit perfectly for their aesthetic

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Because they haven't figured out a way to implement it and be able to claim they've innovated wireless charging.

(half joking, and I say that as someone that like Apple stuff)

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Apple shipped a product in 2015 that charges wirelessly and have announced another in 2016

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

mulls posted:

Apple shipped a product in 2015 that charges wirelessly

What was this?

Inductive Charging is slowly becoming common and originally included with the Palm Pre. The only real drawback is lack of standardization and it's much slower than an actual physical connection.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

the watch

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

What was this?

Inductive Charging is slowly becoming common and originally included with the Palm Pre. The only real drawback is lack of standardization and it's much slower than an actual physical connection.

But since Apple appears to want you to charge stuff at night (removing MagSafe, touting all day batteries), inductive charging makes perfect sense. But hey, I guess they can still brag about how wireless their phones are by courageously removing one of the two cables.

I always thought HP not bundling their inductive charger with the TouchPad was pretty boneheaded. Most of the TouchPad's advantages over the iPad 1 were under the hood or difficult to explain OS differences. The fact you could just plop your tablet down to charge was pretty straight forward and stressed it's simplicity.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If wireless charging covered a larger area than a small pad, I think I'd care more. It really doesn't offer me anything more than dropping a phone into a dock or just using a cable really, you're still completely limited to where you can charge and save about a second each time. I'd probably save a whopping 5 minutes a year with it, doesn't seem worth the extra size of the hardware in the device right now.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Tab8715 posted:

What was this?

There's another drawback in that if you have a poor connection the phone will heat up a lot by trying to charge to full over an extended period. It might just be a problem with cheap chargers but I had a Nexus 4 heat up so much that the battery swelled significantly and cracked the back panel - I had to buy a new battery and a new panel. It only happened once but that was enough for me to toss that charger and switch back to a wired charger for that phone.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah I really don't see the point of inductive charging if it's going to be sitting on your desk either way regardless if there's a pad or a cable attached.

Also I had the charging pad for the TouchPad and that thing was a joke.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

FCKGW posted:

Yeah I really don't see the point of inductive charging if it's going to be sitting on your desk either way regardless if there's a pad or a cable attached.

BUT THERE'S NO WIRES

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'll admit, if we forget about phones, then inductive charging for your mouse is probably overkill. The Magic Touchpad doesn't have to be upside down to charge does it? If it doesn't then you have Apple developing a totally different charging method for exactly one desktop device.

So Magic Mouse rev C will be inductive on the same pad you can buy for your iPhone 8.

FCKGW posted:

Also I had the charging pad for the TouchPad and that thing was a joke.

I honestly never used my Touchpad enough to know if the charging cradle was good or not. It seemed to work alright and was certainly more elegant than the iPad 30 pin connector.

The Palm phone charger was awesome. We had a similar charger for the Nexus 4 that lacked a magnet and didn't work anywhere near as well.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Wireless charging won't really be good enough for me until things like large mousepads, the centre console of a car, an end table or an entire desk are viable chargers. I had a little pad for my LG and it was just too easy to miss the 'sweet spot' for it to actually start charging. A few times I'd thought it was on charge but didn't actually get any phone juice going.

It needs to be completely idiot proof or else it's worse than a cable. At least a cable you have some real feedback if it's charging. With a pad, you just plonk your phone down and pick it up hours later to find out that you're going to be out of power way, way earlier than you'd like.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

well why not posted:

Wireless charging won't really be good enough for me until things like large mousepads, the centre console of a car, an end table or an entire desk are viable chargers. I had a little pad for my LG and it was just too easy to miss the 'sweet spot' for it to actually start charging. A few times I'd thought it was on charge but didn't actually get any phone juice going.

It needs to be completely idiot proof or else it's worse than a cable. At least a cable you have some real feedback if it's charging. With a pad, you just plonk your phone down and pick it up hours later to find out that you're going to be out of power way, way earlier than you'd like.

Multi-coil pads have mostly fixed this in my experience. I too was quite frustrated with every single coil pad I used. The sweet spot was ridiculously difficult to find sometimes.

Finally got a multi-coil pad, now it's just not a problem anymore. Long as a majority of the phone is on the pad, it just works regardless of position.

Of course there are also some over-engineered solutions like the product Panasonic put out some time ago. (https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-QE-TM101-K-Black-Wireless-Charger/dp/B0051R4ECM) It is a Qi compatible charger with a motorized coil. It locates phone's receiving coil automatically.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shrike82 posted:

My existing music player that I used for running conked out and I'm looking at the nano or touch. Any thoughts on either product? Or are there decent non-Apple alternatives?

I'd prefer something with Bluetooth and Spotify but I could also just go wired with mp3s...

My 6S+ is way too big to run with.

My mom loves her Nano when she uses it. If you just want a dedicated MP3 player it's not a bad choice.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
My mid-2012 13" MBA fired off "service battery" warnings last week at 400 cycles, which seems very low. I didn't notice any symptoms or noticeable battery loss so I probably could have ignored the warning for months for all I know.

I took it into Apple Friday night- who ran some tests and is installing a new battery for $129 - I pick it up tomorrow. I guess I'll make it last another year or two.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
On that topic, the battery in my Late 2012 rmbp seems to be getting more and more uncalibrated. Today it shut down without warning, and when I plugged it back in to charge it reported 41%. This number has been creeping up for a while from when I first noticed it doing it at 20-30% last year.

Is there anything I can do without taking it in?

For the same machine, what's the best option for upgrading the SSD? There's a 120GB one in there now which I'm finding rather... small.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

How many cycles are on it? They will eventually act weird.

As far as the SSD goes how big do you want to go? I will have a 256gb from a 2012 for sale in a few days if you want it.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
250 cycles, which still seems reasonable.

I think I'm looking for 512GB+ but appreciate the offer.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

You can get an mSATA adapter and use any drive you want for those model Retinas - you don't have to use an Apple drive. 1TB of mSATA storage could be yours for $300

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Neat! Did not know those existed. An adapter + 850 EVO drive coming right up.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Bob Morales posted:

You can get an mSATA adapter and use any drive you want for those model Retinas - you don't have to use an Apple drive. 1TB of mSATA storage could be yours for $300

Since when did RMBP support mSATA?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Has the quoted "1,000 cycles" ever been actually achieved in the real world? I always seem to hear issues popping up around half that and batteries totally dying around 500 cycles.

Marketing 101, eh?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

KingEup posted:

Since when did RMBP support mSATA?

They don't, hence the adapter. This is only for the 2012 and early 2013's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

hotsauce posted:

Has the quoted "1,000 cycles" ever been actually achieved in the real world? I always seem to hear issues popping up around half that and batteries totally dying around 500 cycles.

Marketing 101, eh?
I've seen them go to 1,500 but it's not uncommon for them to die before 1,000.