Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Martytoof posted:

Are you adblocking anything? Just checked and mine is Gears Icon -> Security, and there I have "Password", "Security Questions", "Mobile PIN", "Customer Service PIN", "Security Key", and "Stay logged in bla bla"
Just checked again with all addons off, same thing. Maybe it's only enabled for some regions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Martytoof posted:

Eh, Paypal's implementation could be better. You can still fall back to using your generic secret questions, plus I think SMS MFA is just stupid anyway when you could implement a TOTP solution but I guess it's better than nothing.

Are you adblocking anything? Just checked and mine is Gears Icon -> Security, and there I have "Password", "Security Questions", "Mobile PIN", "Customer Service PIN", "Security Key", and "Stay logged in bla bla"

I seem to recall something from a few years ago where you could order a synchronous token from them for a couple bucks. It appears they ditched that for the SMS OTP.

I'm not a huge fan of it either, but it still makes sense to use than not.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Sorry that I'm late to the party with this one, but

Internet Explorer posted:

Sorry, I only store my hashed password database on an encrypted flash drive stuffed in my rectum that requires a specific sequence of hot peppers at random Scoville values to dislodge.

Fart Knocking

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Someone repost the bug bounty for PayPal's 2FA where the guy just completely bypassed it by editing the URL

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Someone repost the bug bounty for PayPal's 2FA where the guy just completely bypassed it by editing the URL

http://henryhoggard.co.uk/blog/Paypal-2FA-Bypass

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Last I tried changing my PayPal password, I could not even paste a password into the textbox because they disabled paste...

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

EssOEss posted:

Last I tried changing my PayPal password, I could not even paste a password into the textbox because they disabled paste...

I remember working around this on I think it was battle.net by popping open the element inspector and doing $0.value = "password". Except my autogenerated password was like 20 characters and the max was 16. So they silently truncated it before storing it, which meant that my password didn't actually work.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

vOv posted:

I remember working around this on I think it was battle.net by popping open the element inspector and doing $0.value = "password". Except my autogenerated password was like 20 characters and the max was 16. So they silently truncated it before storing it, which meant that my password didn't actually work.

This is what happened with me. It was up to me to work out why my newly generated ~40 character password wasn't working, before realising they'd truncated it to 20 characters. If you count the dots in the input box when pasting you can see that there are only 20 of them there, but really. If they can't even get decent length password entry working in a browser why should I trust them to send me a text message promptly to my phone when I'm out and about and see a good deal I want? Or if I feel that my account's become compromised and I need to log in and do something about it quickly? Why should I trust them not to gently caress that up?

[facetious]What's the most secure 20 digit password?[/facetious]

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

apropos man posted:

20 random printable ascii characters is 131 bits of entropy, so it's pretty good, no?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

apropos man posted:

This is what happened with me. It was up to me to work out why my newly generated ~40 character password wasn't working, before realising they'd truncated it to 20 characters. If you count the dots in the input box when pasting you can see that there are only 20 of them there, but really. If they can't even get decent length password entry working in a browser why should I trust them to send me a text message promptly to my phone when I'm out and about and see a good deal I want? Or if I feel that my account's become compromised and I need to log in and do something about it quickly? Why should I trust them not to gently caress that up?
Every time this thread floats up in SH/SC it's because someone has some random notion and won't listen to any basic logic that disproves it.

The solution to a potentially weak password is .... to not enable 2 factor? Do you see the issue here?

Also ~130 bits of entropy is enough to defend against an offline attack for as long as the Sun is going to shine for. No one wants your data that badly.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

"Khablam" posted:

Also ~130 bits of entropy is enough to defend against an offline attack for as long as the Sun is going to shine for. No one wants your data that badly.

20 mb hard drive is all your are ever going to need.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

20 mb hard drive is all your are ever going to need.

You're right. There is absolutely no possibility the allowed password length will increase over time.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

mod saas posted:

You're right. There is absolutely no possibility the allowed password length will increase over time.

No, don't you see, once you set your password you can never change it. That kind of functionality would me MADNESS!!!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mod saas posted:

RFC2324 posted:

No, don't you see, once you set your password you can never change it. That kind of functionality would me MADNESS!!!

Don't sperg out over even the lamest of jokes. :itwaspoo:

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Two-factor feels like a really marginal increase in security in many cases. An attacker sophisticated enough to get my password in spite of good password hygiene is probably sophisticated enough to phone in to customer service to turn off 2-factor, or to just port my phone number. The weakest points of the system are mostly outside of our control.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sickening posted:

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

sorry that your venn diagram of jokes overlaps with both "things that aren't funny" and "things that aren't jokes"

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

DuckConference posted:

Two-factor feels like a really marginal increase in security in many cases. An attacker sophisticated enough to get my password in spite of good password hygiene is probably sophisticated enough to phone in to customer service to turn off 2-factor, or to just port my phone number. The weakest points of the system are mostly outside of our control.

It's not designed to stop the GRU from intercepting a SMS in transit to your phone. It's designed to stop people from using keylogged or cracked passwords paired with email addresses from automating access to your poo poo. Enterprise 2FA using poo poo like smart cards or machine certs is a lot harder to defeat without insider help. Of course, APTs who want it badly enough are starting to get around that, so the new thing is pairing it with attribute based access control to limit permissions far more than normal RBAC.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

apropos man posted:

Obviously the most secure password is "passwordPASSW0RD!!!!".

In a previous job, the admin password for every production database was "productnamePR0DUCTNAME!". The '0' makes it secure, I guess.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I inherited a pretty sensitive and integral piece of equipment when I worked at a large bank. The password was "Q1w2E3r4Y7u8I9o0", which, after glancing at a keyboard is about as stupid as it looks.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

The best password is the default Oracle one which they use on everything from the JRE keystore to StorageTek LTO tape libraries: changeme

I've never seen it changed...

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

cheese-cube posted:

The best password is the default Oracle one which they use on everything from the JRE keystore to StorageTek LTO tape libraries: changeme

I've never seen it changed...

Doesn't dell use it too? I know it was the default for both Sun and Dell servers at one fortune 500 I have worked at, tho it may have been baked into the dell firmware update they ran before I got my hands on the hardware.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

scott/tiger

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

DuckConference posted:

And this is why you don't work in infosec (I hope).

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Subjunctive posted:

scott/tiger

cisco/cisco

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

U: admin
P:

Is always my favorite. Kind of a head-fake: "Ha, you keep trying all these 'default' passwords! Jokes on you, there IS no password for unfettered access!"

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

Doesn't dell use it too? I know it was the default for both Sun and Dell servers at one fortune 500 I have worked at, tho it may have been baked into the dell firmware update they ran before I got my hands on the hardware.

Never worked with Dell but maybe the commonality is JRE-based management thingos? Is there a default password constant in JRE which happens to be changeme?

pr0zac posted:

Also 1000x this ^^^

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

root/calvin is my personal fave

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

root/calvin is my personal fave

This one was really convenient for me after a merger a few years ago.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

pr0zac posted:

I don't, I was mostly speaking for myself personally rather than enterprise policy or something

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DuckConference posted:

I don't, I was mostly speaking for myself personally rather than enterprise policy or something

And you're still wrong. 2 factor for individuals is good.

Even as just a defense in depth against phishing alone makes it worthwhile.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

2FA for individual personal accounts is an incredibly good idea and a good thing in general. It's stupid and irresponsible to suggest otherwise.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

2FA for individual personal accounts is an incredibly good idea and a good thing in general. It's stupid and irresponsible to suggest otherwise.

CLAM DOWN made a good and accurate post.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

psydude posted:

CLAM DOWN made a good and accurate post.

Not the first time, and god willing not the last.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ty babes

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

And you're still wrong. 2 factor for individuals is good.

Even as just a defense in depth against phishing alone makes it worthwhile.

Sure it's good in general. I mean I have it turned on for gmail. But why deal with the hassle for, say, dropbox when all of my bank accounts are protected with only 6 digit passwords and have no option for anything better? "I got keylogged and all my money is gone, but thank god they didn't get some random spreadsheets."

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

DuckConference posted:

Sure it's good in general. I mean I have it turned on for gmail. But why deal with the hassle for, say, dropbox when all of my bank accounts are protected with only 6 digit passwords and have no option for anything better? "I got keylogged and all my money is gone, but thank god they didn't get some random spreadsheets."

Having access to someone's Dropbox seems like a good way to get a keylogger on their computer.

edit: Also, move to a better bank.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

DuckConference posted:

Because my information is worth more than [temporary, reversible] access to my bank account.

You can open new bank accounts, new credit cards, and find and gain access to other accounts of mine through simple "social engineering" by logging into my Dropbox and make my world difficult for the foreseeable future. I don't really give a poo poo if you've managed to brute force my 6 digit bank password that must be in all lowercase because the worse that will happen is I'm stuck on the phone for a bit while they reverse the charges/suspend my account/what have you.

e: No I don't keep a txt file in my Dropbox called SOCIAL_SECURITY_NUMBER.txt or anything silly like that. But if you were willing to spend a modicum amount of time you could probably find out who my parents and sisters are from things in my Dropbox, my friends even, and there's probably enough information in there to figure out how to contact these people and impersonating someone else in my circle until you get the information you're looking for. Not that I'm famous or important or anything but that doesn't excuse the possibility.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 6, 2016

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

flosofl posted:

I inherited a pretty sensitive and integral piece of equipment when I worked at a large bank. The password was "Q1w2E3r4Y7u8I9o0", which, after glancing at a keyboard is about as stupid as it looks.

My last corporate job, I poo poo you not, had a default password of something even more stupid along the lines of ACME321 where Acme was just the company's one word name and the 321 is not hyperbole. I'm loving serious.

You're a new hire? Here's your exchange account. Here's your ssh access to the compute nodes/servers. Here's your offsite VPN account. All ACM321. Need to send sensitive data to customers? Just zip it up and password protect it (ACME321 was also the default go to here). Hell it wasn't even just us that did this because one time I had to upload some files to a customer (a top tier defense contractor) who provided us a secure ftp account on their servers. Except they gave us a password of something like ACME321-CUSTOMER and we passed a loving post it note around the office with the ftp server and this password written on it.

(On the other hand some companies we worked with did request we have our IT guys encrypt everything onto enterprise grade hard drives and physically mail those as opposed to sending data ~via the cloud~ so it wasn't all bad .)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

DuckConference posted:

So 2FA is garbage because your bank uses an antiquated system? :psyduck: