Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Don't forget about how Lastpass's browser extension messed up their regular expressions to check URLs for their autofill feature and, if you visited a malicious page with that feature enabled, they could harvest your password to any site they wanted. :)

astral fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I had Keefox installed at one point several years ago, but got rid of it for some reason and can't get it running again. There seems to be a Keepass plugin involved, that isn't being installed with the addon, and that I couldn't find separately.

Oh well. I'm used to popping Keepass open and manually C&Ping.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Just take the extra minute to configure your auto-type window settings. It works in 90% of the situations.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Im_Special posted:

My tip for Lastpass users

That's pretty smart.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Pilsner posted:

Facebook chat

Pretty hilarious how Messenger didn't even work in FF until very recently.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I've been using Password Safe for awhile, it's made by Bruce Schneier so far it's been a good little offline pssword manager, took me awhile to get used to after using lastpass for so long.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

I had Keefox installed at one point several years ago, but got rid of it for some reason and can't get it running again. There seems to be a Keepass plugin involved, that isn't being installed with the addon, and that I couldn't find separately.

Auto type (cntrl alt a) works fine and when it doesn't, you can hit Perform Autotype from the context menu in Keepass. It's configurable for most types of login window, including ones that use enter + delay like gmail. Also if you use two channel obfuscation, you'll have a bit more protection against keyloggers, if that happens to be a concern, compared to c+p.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

~Coxy posted:

Do you mean an add-on or something? Because I've been using it on the site in Firefox for years without problems.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I was forced to do a hard reboot on my PC today when the video card refused to wake up properly. When I logged back in to Windows, everything seemed to be behaving normally, except for Firefox.

The font rendering is all over the place. Everything is thinner than before, and on some sites it looks like there isn't any antialiasing going on at all. In others, any text with animations applied to it looks aliased until the animation ends. I've reinstalled my graphics drivers and it hasn't made a difference. Any suggestions?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

The Dark One posted:

I was forced to do a hard reboot on my PC today when the video card refused to wake up properly. When I logged back in to Windows, everything seemed to be behaving normally, except for Firefox.

The font rendering is all over the place. Everything is thinner than before, and on some sites it looks like there isn't any antialiasing going on at all. In others, any text with animations applied to it looks aliased until the animation ends. I've reinstalled my graphics drivers and it hasn't made a difference. Any suggestions?

I've fixed issues after changing graphics cards by going into about :config, searching for "gfx", and resetting anything that's not on the default settings.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
LastPass is a dumpster fire on Linux (half the windows just don't display correctly) so I'm just switching back to pass. The passff extension is only so-so but it doesn't try to shoehorn itself into every possible field like LastPass does.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Toast Museum posted:

Do you mean an add-on or something? Because I've been using it on the site in Firefox for years without problems.

Not sure what to say. It never used to work for me in FF until one day FF had updated and it did from then on.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

~Coxy posted:

Not sure what to say. It never used to work for me in FF until one day FF had updated and it did from then on.

Huh, weird. Conflict with one of your add-ons, maybe?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Desuwa posted:

I've fixed issues after changing graphics cards by going into about :config, searching for "gfx", and resetting anything that's not on the default settings.

This worked! Thanks.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I'm on 50.0.0.2 and a couple of times a day all of my tabs will just go black. I can still hear audio on a YouTube tab but everything except the tabs themselves and the menu just goes black, for every tab open.

I've noticed that disabling hardware acceleration can alleviate this, but it completely ruins font rendering by not anti aliasing anything.

I've already checked for updates for my integrated Intel graphics card, no difference.

Any ideas?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I had that happen, the cause was that my ageing computer was slowly dying.

Hope your solution is less expensive.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Gorilla Salad posted:

I had that happen, the cause was that my ageing computer was slowly dying.

Hope your solution is less expensive.

That's ok, this is my work PC and I'll gladly take a new one

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Bieeardo posted:

I've stepped back, tried all the Keepass extensions over the last few days, on Windows & Linux, and arrived at PassiFox as the best one.

It works cross platform, as long as you can run keepass v2.
You need to add the KeePassHTTP plugin, but this seems well supported, has a GitHub page, and I got it working on Win10 & Fedora 25 in about 10 minutes total.

I'm syncing via Dropbox at the moment, as the only decent Keepass app I could find on iOS supports that natively. That's Keepass Touch FWIW.

I wish I could keep the Lastpass auto-fill for passwords in iOS Safari (or add it to Firefox) but I can cope. Will cancel my lastpass sub in a week or two if I'm still happy.

PassiFox is a little bit broken in FF multi-process right now ( I think the button doesn't show up), but otherwise works fine (I'm playing with Nightly right now).

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I second Passifox and I use it only in Linux (Fedora's 23, 24 and now 25).

The main drawback for me is that it breaks Firefox Sync seemingly when it feels like it, forcing you to keep logging in to Sync. I'd love for that to be fixed.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Anyone else feel like firefox got a bit laggy with 50.0.2? I've been seeing some brief stuttering here and there, like right after a gif has loaded or when scrolling the forums in general. Sometimes when viewing a youtube video, I'll switch tabs and the video will hang in the new tab for a second. Those sorts of things.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

Anyone else feel like firefox got a bit laggy with 50.0.2? I've been seeing some brief stuttering here and there, like right after a gif has loaded or when scrolling the forums in general. Sometimes when viewing a youtube video, I'll switch tabs and the video will hang in the new tab for a second. Those sorts of things.

Yeah, and sometimes when I switch tabs I get a blank screen with a rotating loading circle. This is on already viewed tabs/content, and lasts about a second

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Firefox was pretty smooth before, but for some reason the update destroyed performance. No idea what might be causing it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

~Coxy posted:

Weird, I never had that problem. (I don't use Firefox as a main browser these days, but I'd always keep a Facebook message window open it it at work for the last couple of years).

E;fb

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've seen weird performance issues for the last several versions. Animated gifs hitching as they loop, hiccups while scrolling... the little process gadget I keep open for giggles claims that FF sometimes maxes out a processor core while apparently idling. Suspect it's one or more of my creaky old addons chasing their tails.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
51 beta has been a lot more stable for me than 50 was. Maybe whatever they messed up in 50 was fixed in 51?

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Aw, man. I only run three extensions (Clearly, FireGestures and uBlock Origin), and it's Clearly that's blocking e10s for me. Clearly's been discontinued and won't be updated, so that's kind of a bummer. I've gone looking for a replacement, but nothing else works as well -- most of the things I've seen can't even stitch a multi-page story together. Anyone have a suggestion? (Clearly reformats web pages so they're easier to read, in case someone's never heard of it.)

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Anyone else get the login window being cut off in Firefox? Like you can't see the ok and cancel buttons on it. I mean the dialog pop up when you browse to a site that requires http auth. I thought it was an addon causing this but I tried disabling everything and it persists. loving weird, it started in the last update or so.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The Gunslinger posted:

Anyone else get the login window being cut off in Firefox? Like you can't see the ok and cancel buttons on it. I mean the dialog pop up when you browse to a site that requires http auth. I thought it was an addon causing this but I tried disabling everything and it persists. loving weird, it started in the last update or so.

No issues here on Firefox 50.0.2/win10 anniversary edition.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

The Gunslinger posted:

I run Dev edition and have been seeing that for a few months. I assumed it was KeeFox.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tivac posted:

I run Dev edition and have been seeing that for a few months. I assumed it was KeeFox.

I'm on 50.0.2 and Windows 10. I don't use KeeFox but I do use LastPass and it was previously fine. I don't think it's related and I've tried disabling all addons which doesn't fix it. It's weird and I can't seem to google any info about it.

It looks like this.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 10, 2016

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Getting a "Couldn't load XPCOM" error when trying to run Firefox 50.0.2

Only thing that has changed is installing Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB3201845, but I'm not sure if there's a link

Anyone had this error before? It wont run at all

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm on 50.0.2 and Windows 10. I don't use KeeFox but I do use LastPass and it was previously fine. I don't think it's related and I've tried disabling all addons which doesn't fix it. It's weird and I can't seem to google any info about it.

It looks like this.

Image link is broken for me so I don't know what it looks like, but are you running any display scaling in Windows? I know I've seen some dialogues break because of that.

dud root posted:

Getting a "Couldn't load XPCOM" error when trying to run Firefox 50.0.2

Only thing that has changed is installing Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB3201845, but I'm not sure if there's a link

Anyone had this error before? It wont run at all

I had the XPCOM error before (while I still had an instance of Firefox running even) and I couldn't get it fixed without reinstalling. :shrug:

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

isndl posted:

Image link is broken for me so I don't know what it looks like, but are you running any display scaling in Windows? I know I've seen some dialogues break because of that.

Nope, scaling is set to 100%. It's bizarre, I can't figure it out.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
What's the best way to force HTML5 embedded videos to become click-to-load at all these days? I'll be traveling soon and expect to have rather limited data allowance. So I want to avoid autoplaying/autoloading video on various sites.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

fishmech posted:

What's the best way to force HTML5 embedded videos to become click-to-load at all these days? I'll be traveling soon and expect to have rather limited data allowance. So I want to avoid autoplaying/autoloading video on various sites.

The about :config tweak to disable all autoplay; set this to false:
code:
media.autoplay.enabled
Do note that you'd have to right-click anything without controls to get it to play.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

isndl posted:

I had the XPCOM error before (while I still had an instance of Firefox running even) and I couldn't get it fixed without reinstalling. :shrug:

Yeah, definitely try downloading and rerunning the installer. That sounds like a file got corrupted.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

astral posted:

The about :config tweak to disable all autoplay; set this to false:
code:
media.autoplay.enabled
Do note that you'd have to right-click anything without controls to get it to play.

Thanks that seems to work well.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
firefox sure runs like garbage on my older laptop now after this 2 process update

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I just reinstalled Windows and started a clean Firefox profile, and uBlock Origin is... different. It's like more compact now? I open it from the toolbar icon and no longer see the giant list of exactly what's being blocked or allowed with numbers and lots of red and green.

Is there a way I can get that display back? I need to specifically diagnose some specific element blocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I just reinstalled Windows and started a clean Firefox profile, and uBlock Origin is... different. It's like more compact now? I open it from the toolbar icon and no longer see the giant list of exactly what's being blocked or allowed with numbers and lots of red and green.

Is there a way I can get that display back? I need to specifically diagnose some specific element blocks.

click the little advanced user button in the options