Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nopants
May 29, 2004
This show is still entertaining. I want Carl to turn and enter into an anime battle for the fate of all mankind with Rick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

pretty sure negan is gonna let carl bone one his his wives and carls gonna form some sort of emo attachment to him

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Just how thick is Negan's plot armor?

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
Here kid, hold my bat and stand behind me while I shout at a bunch of people that hate me.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Is anyone compiling a list of scenes where Negan absolutely should've died?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

There was absolutely no reason for this episode to be 90 minutes other than being able to pack in 30% more ads. I feel like everyone is going be sick of Negan before this season is over because they're completely overdoing it and giving him more screen time than Rick.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I love how it hasn't occurred to Eugene to just make loving bullets for Negan's band. Bam. Instant cred with their group, nobody has to scavenge anymore since I'm sure Negan would be happy to take payment in clips, and he gets what he wants. I'd understand if he was opposed to placating them but it's the reverse of that.

Lycus posted:

Walking Dead has never pissed me off and frustrated me more than this episode, to be honest. I mean it. Not even the dumpster.

Carl shows up to kill Negan.
Carl shoots some guys and then Negan, like a loving idiot, cockily walks out
Carl decides not to shoot Negan for 30 seconds while he mugs
Carl kills another random guy

It's so utterly insane, it is like you could watch him trying to summon the will to break the plot armor and failing. "Can't take.. the shot.. plot armor.. too thick.."

Utterly loving frustrating. Then Carl turns into a pussy that holds the bat, just like his dad, while Negan has his back to him and is standing on a railing and mugging for the audience. Honestly if Carl hit him in the back of the head and send him over the railing, would people REALLY be pissed while he's torturing them?

texaholic posted:

That walker got it's arms ripped off, I didn't see any head trauma. Thought it was gonna bite that dude's thigh

Same here, I kept laughing because I was sure Spencer was going to get bit in the balls and have to cut his own balls off

The way the scene was shot, it's the only thing you COULD think

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Dec 5, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lycus posted:

Just how thick is Negan's plot armor?

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

If they find out Eugene can make ammo, Eugene spends the rest of his life reenacting Jesse Pinkman with the Trump supporters neo-nazis.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I like that Negan keeps expressing the fact that he is in fact impressed with peoples feistiness.

Multiple times an episode with different people.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Stickarts posted:

If they find out Eugene can make ammo, Eugene spends the rest of his life reenacting Jesse Pinkman with the Trump supporters neo-nazis.

It's not like Eugene is some genius bullet smith. He just knows where the press is. It'd probably take him all of an hour to teach someone else to make them.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

galenanorth posted:

I know this is tangentially off-topic but

Don't Open Cat Inside

Still more suspenseful than the actual show

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
I haven't read the comics and my gut feeling is when Rick gets back Negan says Carl killed two of my men now he kills two of yours or I kill Carl. Carl kills two dudes and Negan takes Carl back to Saviorville.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why do they keep doing extra long episodes. "not enough time to fit all this poo poo in" has never been this show's problem

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Lycus posted:

Easy! All of them.

The depressing part is that, like the governor, it wouldn't have taken much more effort to make him a more interesting, nuanced character. You'd just need actual writers instead of a bunch of 14 year olds trying to one up each other about the most evil thing they can think of. 'Ya, he can get away with it because he's sooo cool! He swears a lot and just look at his leather jacket!!11!'

If he was actually providing security and building a community, harsh as it might be, it could make sense. Nope! He's just sticking it to everyone all the time and rubbing their noses in it and no one does anything because reasons. Eugene's speech is a great example: 'Killing Neagan wouldn't solve anything. I've really thought this through and come to this conclusion based on what's required for the plot of the show even though it makes no sense based on any evidence presented in the show.'

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

Blazing Ownager posted:

Walking Dead has never pissed me off and frustrated me more than this episode, to be honest. I mean it. Not even the dumpster.

Carl shows up to kill Negan.
Carl shoots some guys and then Negan, like a loving idiot, cockily walks out
Carl decides not to shoot Negan for 30 seconds while he mugs
Carl kills another random guy

It's so utterly insane, it is like you could watch him trying to summon the will to break the plot armor and failing. "Can't take.. the shot.. plot armor.. too thick.."

From a writing perspective yeah it would be easy to write in "Negan gets shot in the fukkin head" and what would be the point in that? Maybe they shouldn't have put Carl in such an advantageous position, but at the same time he's surrounded by people that are "loyal" to a violent psychopath. If he's knocked out of the way, do you really think Carl's life is guaranteed? More likely, the next Negan would see Carl as an objective threat, kill him, and assume control.

Also it's supposed to be incredibly difficult to actually point a weapon at someone that isn't threatening you, and killing them in that moment.
Lindybeige explains here about shooting to kill, and how 1% of soldiers in war actually did it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zViyZGmBhvs

I get that Carl is a lunatic by now but I don't think he's completely insensitive.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Except how many people has Carl straight up shot? Shane, his Mom, Woodbury Kid, he was ready to shoot Rick and Hershel.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Sjs00 posted:

Woodbury Kid
Forgot all about that little weasel, and Carl was younger back then. People tend to keep acting like Carl's still a young innocent little kid, when he's probably at least 16-17 in the show's timeline. I had anger issues at that age so when he's been through so much poo poo and is dealing with a genuine psychopath, he should be absolutely ruthless when it comes to killing Negan. They had an opportunity to reawaken Carl's sadist side that he's struggled with even after he conveniently went back to being a nice kid for most of S4, and they smashed that to pieces.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Eyochigan posted:

Also it's supposed to be incredibly difficult to actually point a weapon at someone that isn't threatening you, and killing them in that moment.
Lindybeige explains here about shooting to kill, and how 1% of soldiers in war actually did it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zViyZGmBhvs

lmao come on, now. This is TWD we're talking about.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

Why do they keep doing extra long episodes. "not enough time to fit all this poo poo in" has never been this show's problem

$$$$$

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

Sjs00 posted:

Except how many people has Carl straight up shot? Shane, his Mom, Woodbury Kid, he was ready to shoot Rick and Hershel.

Well here's the things, and stuff.

Carl saw Rick kill Shane. Either he saw living Shane as a threat, or he knew he was a zombie (He probably knew).

He knew his mom was dead, and would be turning into a walker soon. So he shot her then, or he could have waited until she would be an absolute threat to people that couldn't shoot her when she wasn't moving around. Also there's the mercy aspect of not letting her turn.

Woodbury kid, my theory is that he explicitly remembers the encounter with Rick and Shane, considering how important they were to him. Rick was about to be executed by Shane, so Rick offered to give his gun to Shane. As soon as Shane grabbed it, Rick knocked his other gun out of the way and stabbed him with his free hand. Carl asked Woodbury kid to put the gun down, and not to hand it to him. Woodbury kid approached slowly and began to offer the gun to Carl. Should he have taken that chance? That group had just assaulted their compound, and Carl is protecting more than himself.

Rick and Hershey, same zombie situation but it's important to recognize he never shot them. Isn't it? I remember his struggling particularly with Rick when he started to stir but he couldn't take the shot still.

Carl has had to do some crazy poo poo, I don't think he's a crazy poo poo himself just yet.

And yes reality != TWD and the show writers probably don't watch lindy either, but it's a very human thing to preserve life. Carl shot some dudes that were going to kill him. Negan took control of the situation, stopped the shooting, and never threatened him even after the gunfire. It had to have been screwing with his moral compass.

edit: Also it's been like 350 or 400 days in the show/comics. I don't remember where that number came(edit2: Judithwalk speculation, days since birth) from but Carl should be like 10 maybe 11. Part of why the crying/singing was awkward.

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 5, 2016

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
By the time Carl is supposed to be 15 in the show Chandler Riggs going to be balding and have a grey beard.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Eyochigan posted:

but Carl should be like 10 maybe 11. Part of why the crying/singing was awkward.
frickin :cawg:

Keep posting man, you're the only redeeming part of this thread. And I think that was awkward because a rapey dictator forced him to remember killing his mother. In one of the interviews, Chandler Riggs said he was 13 in Season 3 when asked about him and Beth, and there was a six month time gap after that between that and S4, not even getting into the time skip from S2 to S3.

Seriously though, if you're gonna look at the competition between Jessie's oldest and Carl and think he's that young after taking a look at her youngest by comparison, holy poo poo.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

Carl was 7 in the comics. It's been just over a year since Judith was born, til Negan. So yeah, not 10 or 11 I'm sorry.

google posted:

Carl is the only son of deputy sheriff Rick Grimes and his wife, ... Despite being only seven years old, Carl is taught to shoot a...

Lets remember this is a TV show adapted from a comic series. Carl is not 17. TV Carl started at 12 according to google. So his character might be 14, but he's still based on a 9 year old.

edit: And how loving good was peter gabriel last night. I used to hate his character so much but that one moment redeemed his entire existence.

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 5, 2016

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Sjs00 posted:

The two guys he killed in the scene where he didn't kill Negan.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Carl and age progression int he comics only supports his behavior in the source material, when adapting it for TV you have to figure out how to roll with the fact that puberty can hit any time. I don't think Carl is 11 in the show, or that they are realistically trying to present him as an 11 year old.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I love how it hasn't occurred to Eugene to just make loving bullets for Negan's band. Bam. Instant cred with their group, nobody has to scavenge anymore since I'm sure Negan would be happy to take payment in clips, and he gets what he wants. I'd understand if he was opposed to placating them but it's the reverse of that.

This would be so loving bitter to swallow, and in my opinion would be a good twist if not for the death of Abraham. Eugene started out as the type of gently caress who would sell out, but after coming clean and being accepted by Abraham and watching him die by Negan I wouldn't buy Eugene supporting them. My big fear is that they will have him do it and then he will say it is to protect Rosita, his waifu.

spudsbuckley posted:

I like that Negan keeps expressing the fact that he is in fact impressed with peoples feistiness.

Negan, even as an evil gently caress, sees beauty in the world. Westworld crossover?

“Some people choose to see the ugliness in this world, the disarray. I choose to see the Beauty.”

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Eyochigan posted:

edit: And how loving good was peter gabriel last night. I used to hate his character so much but that one moment redeemed his entire existence.

It was good but I'm not sure if I bought it being in-character for him. Oh well who cares it's better than lame Gabe.

The thing that actually really irritated me about that scene was him getting out of the car and walking home. They seriously need to stop doing that.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Negan is going to Mr.Burns it and get taken out by the baby.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

On the plus side, Michonne's whistling dixie routine was the tune of my favourite ditty as a kid. The Grand Old Duke of York. So that's something.

bobjr posted:

Negan is going to Mr.Burns it and get taken out by the baby.

"Who killed Mr. Negan?" season 7 cliffhanger.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Eyochigan posted:

From a writing perspective yeah it would be easy to write in "Negan gets shot in the fukkin head" and what would be the point in that?

I must admit you deserve a prize for figuring out the problem in the very next sentence:

Eyochigan posted:

Maybe they shouldn't have put Carl in such an advantageous position

I am not saying, at all, that good writing would be "Carl shoots Negan randomly the end." I am saying good writing wouldn't have Negan saunter out, humming a tune, in full view of a guy with a loving assault rifle for no less than 30 seconds - while hte guy with the assault rifle is there to kill him dead and doesn't bother to shoot at anyone but thugs.

I'm not repeatedly saying the show would be better to insta-kill Negan, I am saying the show wouldn't be stupid as gently caress if Negan didn't keep putting himself in situations that should see him die, die, and die again and then just.. not because nobody can ACTUALLY take a shot at him because of plot armor. poo poo, that's the whole reason he has a guy like his right hand man (Trevor, forgot his character name) to do poo poo for him, so he doesn't walk around hostile settlements being a complete rear end in a top hat and easy target.

Long story short I'm not asking for him to be killed in a stupid random manner I'm asking the writers to stop writing situations in which someone should at least TRY to kill him dead but then they just.. don't, because the writers don't want him to die. It's loving terrible, terrible writing.

It's really one step from a writer going:
"You know what would be RAD? We'll make the next villain totally make out with zombies, because he's SO MUCH of a badass, he can do that!"
"Won't they bite him when he does that?"
"poo poo no, he's too much of a badass! He can stand there all day, zombie won't take a bite out of him!"

It's getting super loving annoying because it keeps happening and happening. It's like the Dumpster, except it's not just one scene, it's all the Negan scenes.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 5, 2016

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I imagine that the Saviors who voted for Negan liked that he was an outsider who "spoke his mind" and wasn't afraid to be politically incorrect.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I imagine that the Saviors who voted for Negan liked that he was an outsider who "spoke his mind" and wasn't afraid to be politically incorrect.

But.. he did make his compound great again!

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Negan, even as an evil gently caress, sees beauty in the world. Westworld crossover?

It would explain why nobody can shoot Negan. It's not the story they were given.

ED: That was more meta than I meant it to be.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

I must admit you deserve a prize for figuring out the problem in the very next sentence:

I am not saying, at all, that good writing would be "Carl shoots Negan randomly the end." I am saying good writing wouldn't have Negan saunter out, humming a tune, in full view of a guy with a loving assault rifle for no less than 30 seconds - while hte guy with the assault rifle is there to kill him dead and doesn't bother to shoot at anyone but thugs.

Yeah I agree, the way things are filmed it's hard to portray the scene properly. In the comics (Carl shooting scene differences) Carl unloads two bursts of rifle fire between telling them he only wants Negan, gets the gun shot out of his hand, and Dwight proceeds to stomp the crap out of him. Negan stops him, "Is that any way to treat our new guest?" *cue ambiguity* Instead of shooting and just waiting around when Negan gets there.

I'm a fan of the direction the comics are taking the story, and how they got to that point. I'm waiting for the show to fulfill it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

Didn't he saunter out, humming a tune... hiding behind one of his henchmen? When he's talking he kind of ducks behind another one, and even holds him out in front of him. I got the impression that Carl never had a good shot. As soon as he started shooting he was dead, so he needed to make it count, and Negan taunted him into blowing it and shooting someone else when he didn't yet have a good shot on Negan.

Maybe I'm making sense of a poorly shot scene in retrospect, but it wasn't that aggravating to me when I was watching it.

Another thing the show's kind of poorly communicating, is that I get the impression that the Saviors don't hate Negan. He's not just menacing them, he's convinced them that he legitimately saved him. At least, that would make their loyalty make more sense. Admittedly we haven't seen any of that. The only Savoir characters we've gotten to see are broken and scared, or two dimensional henchmen, but you've got to figure that there's people who actually buy Negan's worldview. If that's the case it makes sense that no one's assassinated him in his own home- he's got legitimate loyalty there. Like that scene with the iron with everyone watching- the TV audience thought it was horrific, but the saviors there must have believed what Negan was saying about it being justice and rule of law.

Admittedly, pretty much none of that is being communicated all that well by the show.

I'm watching this show with my mother, who enjoys zombie shows, and we both like post apocalyptic stuff, so maybe I'm bending over backwards to see what's good about this show... but I like it. I've been enjoying this season, the way we get to see various different societies that have established themselves in this world, and I've found the way characters are grappling with their situation to be pretty interesting.

So... that's my drop of positivity into the sea of hate that is this thread.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Eyochigan posted:

Yeah I agree, the way things are filmed it's hard to portray the scene properly. In the comics (Carl shooting scene differences) Carl unloads two bursts of rifle fire between telling them he only wants Negan, gets the gun shot out of his hand, and Dwight proceeds to stomp the crap out of him. Negan stops him, "Is that any way to treat our new guest?" *cue ambiguity* Instead of shooting and just waiting around when Negan gets there.

What you described in the spoiler tag (which is really not much of a spoiler for those concerned, just a difference) is way better. Had Carl been getting the poo poo beat out of him and THEN Negan came out and did the same things, I wouldn't have been looking at the TV going "Oh gently caress you."

Eiba posted:

Didn't he saunter out, humming a tune... hiding behind one of his henchmen? When he's talking he kind of ducks behind another one, and even holds him out in front of him. I got the impression that Carl never had a good shot. As soon as he started shooting he was dead, so he needed to make it count, and Negan taunted him into blowing it and shooting someone else when he didn't yet have a good shot on Negan.

Carl clearly had no problem with collateral damage. Just shoot him, whoever he's hiding behind, the loving works. Assault Rifles would tear through the two of them like a chainsaw through butter, it wouldn't have helped if you're not worried about a hostage.

It was insanely frustrating. If Carl had botched things, gotten taken down and THEN Negan did that poo poo, it wouldn't have been nearly as stupid.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 5, 2016

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe they'll pull a prince and pauper and Rick and Negan will trade places for a couple days

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
I gave up on watching entire episodes of this poo poo so I usually just find a few clips per episode and leave it at that.

With that said, what the gently caress was Spencer doing when he ran from the car? He just got out of the car and... ran to the woods? Why? Did he somehow know that a wise and powerful woodsman was there with a bow?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Negan talks too much.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Gortarius posted:

I gave up on watching entire episodes of this poo poo so I usually just find a few clips per episode and leave it at that.

With that said, what the gently caress was Spencer doing when he ran from the car? He just got out of the car and... ran to the woods? Why? Did he somehow know that a wise and powerful woodsman was there with a bow?

Isn't that how we were first introduced to him? Riding in a car, jumps out still handcuffed and almost dies but melon head glen saves him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Carl's shot was more than good enough for an automatic rifle.