Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://webmshare.com/play/aDoXM

Let It Die owns

e: I sure do wish I could figure out webm embedding lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Babe Magnet posted:

https://webmshare.com/play/aDoXM

Let It Die owns

e: I sure do wish I could figure out webm embedding lol

You have to post the link to the webm file itself.

https://s1.webmshare.com/aDoXM.webm

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

ah so I had it at one point, it's just erroring out on my end. I tried like all of those embed links lol

another thing I like about Let it Die is that your handler dude (Uncle Death) is a skeleton grim reaper type with a skull head, but he's wearing gloves with a skeleton pattern on them

also the frog noises are just a guy making weird japanese ribbit sounds and gurgling

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Nuebot posted:

That was especially lovely since in 4 like three of the best merchants in the game for your settlement came from one time random events and were non-essential so it was entirely possible for them to show up in a spot you just barely managed to get close enough to trigger, right next to a raider camp and get murdered.

Yeah. That sucks pretty hard. I'm actually kind of worried that the dog selling guy is dead and I can't buy dogs for settlements.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
That's what happens when people spend years whining about unkillable NPCs and the fact that you can achieve everything in one playthrough. It turns out that to most people that's way better than the alternative.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Guy Mann posted:

That's what happens when people spend years whining about unkillable NPCs and the fact that you can achieve everything in one playthrough. It turns out that to most people that's way better than the alternative.

The thing is though, the game is full of unkillable NPCs still. They're just weirdly selective about it all. So the best NPCs for your settlement, who sell unique items? Nope, have fun missing them forever when they're your first random encounters. But half the NPCs with a name are otherwise immortal until you find the quest that flips off their immortal flag and they wander down a street and get killed by a passing super mutant murder party.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

haveblue posted:

There's also a whaling ship that goes by during the intro boat ride to the palace, and a dead whale in the Granny Rags boss arena.

Dishonored is absolutely one of the best-build worlds around, it's a shame D2 has less of that feeling that poo poo's hosed everywhere for good.

Wasn't there also that one dead whale in the one warehouse place?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom after starting to watch GamesAreSuperNice's Youtube LP of Truth or Square and him saying it was good, and the level design is definitely varied. Even though you get a key quest to perform for one of the Golden Spatulas (Key collectibles, think Jiggies), you need to traverse the entire level to get there so there are a lot of other, smaller objectives to perform on top of them that keep you invested. In downtown Bikini Bottom, you aren't just collecting steering wheels for Mrs Puff, as they are in every section. You collect some while navigating the test drive track at the boating school, then navigating to the rooftops to collect some more while helping Larry the Lobster replace his antenna with heavy platforming for another Spatula, then at the end of that you drop down a lighthouse gauntlet fighting robots to get another Spatula and steering wheel, and the last few are on the Ocean Spire as you smash all the tikis. It keeps the flow of the original goal while throwing all sorts of other poo poo to do at you and it feels really good to play as a result, as you are always working towards something. You never just get "stuck" and have nothing else to do. Also you can select a Spatula that you haven't done yet and it will fast travel you to the right section of the right level to do it.

It flows really well.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Guy Mann posted:

I played on Death March because I heard the game gets really easy due to how many opportunities there are for experience and loot, and the combat is tedious as gently caress because thanks to the control + camera you mostly just have to dodgeroll around until you can squeeze in one or two quick hits before rolling away again, and because of how much damage attacks cause and how you can't heal by meditating the only real viable magic option is using the shield.

Maybe don't play on the hardest difficulty then?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
BioEnchanted we're all very worried about you and we hope you start playing actually decent games everyone's heard of sometime in 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just beat Rise of the Tomb Raider and will be getting FF15 next month, so chill. And these games I play are good :colbert:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The Iron Rose posted:

Maybe don't play on the hardest difficulty then?

You know, it's a complaint for an entirely different topic but it really gets on my nerves when someone leaps right into the hardest difficulty then gets mad at a game for being too hard. One of my friends did that with Nier, a game with okay but repetitive gameplay at best. After I told him how cool the story was he got it, went straight to hard and then spent an hour bitching about how it was a lovely game because everything had too much health and killed him in one hit.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
"You are hereby charged with the assassination of the Immortal Emperor!"

"If he's immortal then how did I kill him?"

*Both guards look at each other and shrug*

The Old Republic is dopey overall, but man some of the dialogue is brilliant. :allears:

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Late to Dishonored chat, but I've been playing the second game recently and holy poo poo, the clockwork mansion. :stwoon:
I'm a fan of electromechanical stuff in general and they just completely nailed that area. So insanely cool.

Also, as a person who enjoys programming every now and then I appreciate that the clockwork soldiers' speech are basically all debug statements that their creator hasn't taken out.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Nuebot posted:

You know, it's a complaint for an entirely different topic but it really gets on my nerves when someone leaps right into the hardest difficulty then gets mad at a game for being too hard. One of my friends did that with Nier, a game with okay but repetitive gameplay at best. After I told him how cool the story was he got it, went straight to hard and then spent an hour bitching about how it was a lovely game because everything had too much health and killed him in one hit.

I remember the boar and a giant shade you could encounter on the way to the seafront could kill you in one or two hits when you first meet them. I lost count on how many times I've died to that pig but being able to drift around on him makes it totally worth it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Inzombiac posted:

Despite its flaws, Skyrim is great for this. If you get the dragon tablet before meeting the Jarl of White Run, the court wizard will be very impressed with your initiative.

Replaying Morrowind a lot of fetch quests are like this too except sometimes they dick you over. One of the Mage's Guild advancement quests is to go buy a book for someone and they give you some gold to do it (the left over cash is the reward). If you already have the book they won't pay you, but applaud your initiative anyway.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

By the way, am I the only one who lets a dumb plot speak for itself out of curiosity as to how they justify it? For example, that garbage Charlies Angels game that SuperGraffiti and Moominbiscuit looked at. I may (but likely won't, I have some taste :P) look into emulating that with cheats someday, or at least try to find an LP, just to see how the Monument thieves than actually worked, where they are being stored, whether there is any spectacle in the last few levels, that sort of thing. They've stolen all the worlds monuments - there is the kernel of interesting level design there. They probably haven't but they could easily work a final level where you fight along the arms and upper back of Lady Liberty only to base jump off of her crown to land on the Great Pyramid, that sort of thing.

I'll see a dumb or bad game, and if the kernel of interesting is there I'll see how long I can stand it to see if it at least gets stupid in an interesting way.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Nuebot posted:

Meh, lovely balance for hard modes is a valid complaint. Especially for a game like Witcher 3 where the difficulty curve makes it so that it's brutally difficult until you get powerful enough that the game is just a joke. Spin to win motherfuckers

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

In the new Hitman episodic game you can throw bricks at people. I don't know why but its super satisfying to brick people. Its a ranged knockout so its not exactly useless either.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007
Final Fantasy XV

If you (for whatever reason) decide to drive the car and hit the brakes while cruising, everybody flies forward bracing themselves and yells at you. :3 Sorry, dudes. Saw a treasure.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Goofballs posted:

In the new Hitman episodic game you can throw bricks at people. I don't know why but its super satisfying to brick people. Its a ranged knockout so its not exactly useless either.

There is a whole host of silly things to throw at people in Nu Hitman, including a toy tank, a soda can, a baseball bat, a katana, a circumcision knife, the list goes on.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Arx Monolith posted:

Final Fantasy XV

If you (for whatever reason) decide to drive the car and hit the brakes while cruising, everybody flies forward bracing themselves and yells at you. :3 Sorry, dudes. Saw a treasure.

You can do this even if you aren't driving. Ignis confusedly apologizes.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The fishing tutorial quest in FFXV features a cat that looks hungry, so you go get a fish for it. Except this cat is outside of a fancy restaurant, and he has standards. So you have to take a better fish into the restaurant, have the 5-star chef prepare it, then bring the cat back a delicious-looking meal. As she's cooking it, she mentions that she knows which cat this is... because this cat has done this exact thing before :allears:

I got duped by a cat. They also mention that cats tend to follow people who feed them, which I hope is this game's way of telling me that eventually I'm going to be feeding this cat multiple times in different locales as a long-running quest chain

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Poops Mcgoots posted:

You can do this even if you aren't driving. Ignis confusedly apologizes.

It doesn't work if Noctis is sitting on the back of the car though which is lame. I wanted to see him go flying off into the driver's seat.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Spy_Guy posted:

Also, as a person who enjoys programming every now and then I appreciate that the clockwork soldiers' speech are basically all debug statements that their creator hasn't taken out.

Do enough gamedev and it suddenly clicks that all fuckin' vocal barks in games are just replacements for debug statements.

"Spotted player while off guard"
"Alert others in area"
"Begin pursuit"
"Player breaks line of sight"
"Arrive at last seen position"
"Begin sweep routine"
"End sweep routine"
"Return to original position"

Stick something fiction-friendly in each of those slots with a couple variants, voila, you have an action-with-light-stealth bark script.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Goofballs posted:

You could also do this in the Splinter Cell games too, it (along with shooting the mobile cameras at enemy skulls) was actually one of the easier ways to knock fools out

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

You could also do this in the Splinter Cell games too, it (along with shooting the mobile cameras at enemy skulls) was actually one of the easier ways to knock fools out

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Spy_Guy posted:

Late to Dishonored chat, but I've been playing the second game recently and holy poo poo, the clockwork mansion. :stwoon:
I'm a fan of electromechanical stuff in general and they just completely nailed that area. So insanely cool.

The clockwork mansion should win every drat award. It's so well done.

Even in the out of the way areas behind the scenery they covered every detail. Each panel moves, pulleys go up and down, metal clamps engage and disengage, walls slide neatly into their own slots. From what I can tell, they didn't cheat once. When I first saw the entry hall move I was impressed to say the least, but at the back of my mind expected all the panels to just merge together out of sight, but the developers went to incredible pains to show you that they don't.

There are access panels and corridors, glass floors and, if you're brave, you can jump around on the panels as they slide and move and see that everything is modelled and animated.

And that's just the technical aspects of the level. The game design itself is incredible. You can complete the level in just so many ways I expect we'll be seeing gimmick runs for years. One I've already seen managed to kill Jindosh in about 30 seconds.

Also, the clockwork soldiers really remind me of the Children of Karras from Thief 2*. Except a hell of a lot tougher and more fun to play with.

* No surprise, given that the game is a true spiritual successor to the Thief series.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is that Spiderman's arch-nemesis or something?

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

That's Brrrrrrrrick Frog

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

The Lone Badger posted:

Is that Spiderman's arch-nemesis or something?

Brick Frog
Brick Frog
Here to knock your block off

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

you can knock guards out in MGSV with thrown magazines to the head and it makes a hilarious "boooooink" noise

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Arx Monolith posted:

Final Fantasy XV

The little interactions in FFXV really do sell it. Prompto's nerding out about chocobos, the puns, the tour interactions in certain areas, all help add to the characters without feeling forced or scripted. It's really well done.

The battle dialog is also really good. If you end up fighting a group of weak enemies, they treat it like a game or a simple 'eh, let's do this quick' sort of event. If you start taking lots of damage or end up going through items quick, their tone turns a lot darker. I heard Gladio wishing that he'd get to see his sister again, and Ignis saying it was an honor to fight alongside you all during one really hard nighttime bounty. And it wasn't tied to a certain health level, but how I was doing overall (sucking pretty hard).

My favorite is how your party gets tired of Prompto singing the chocobo song if you don't go visit the preserve. Now that song is stuck in my head and I hate it.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Goofballs posted:

Cans of soda too.
Episode 2's level has a few cans of sauce used for an Opportunity that can be used repeatedly. :allears:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

For more Final Fantasy XV chat, I love the little camp scenes. One of my favorites being one where Prompto is loving around with his gun, doing poses and stupid tricks and stuff while Noctis has his camera taking pictures. Then he slips and falls on his rear end hard and ends up laying on the ground waving Noctis off when he comes over to make sure he's alright. Just sells how much of a lovable dumbass he is.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
I was playing Assassin's Creed 2 last night and ran into a guard while running down the block looking for a chest. The guard got pissed, but didn't raise an alert. He was just shoving me and being an rear end hole.

I jogged down the block until he stopped following me and then put my controller down to look at my phone for a second. Out of the corner of my eye, I think I saw Ezio do that rude "gently caress off" chin flick gesture as the guard turned around and walked away. I tried to replicate it a couple times, but he didn't do the animation. I might have been imagining things, but if they put that in the game I friggin love it. Can anyone confirm/deny?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

graybook posted:

Wasn't there also that one dead whale in the one warehouse place?

I think that was a DLC mission.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

J.A.B.C. posted:

My favorite is how your party gets tired of Prompto singing the chocobo song if you don't go visit the preserve. Now that song is stuck in my head and I hate it.

It didn't click until I actually got to ride one, but I love that he's singing his little song to the tune of the series' main chocobo theme

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Wintermutant posted:

It didn't click until I actually got to ride one, but I love that he's singing his little song to the tune of the series' main chocobo theme

I will always hear it as "Fi-nal fantasy is an r-p-g."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Arx Monolith posted:

I will always hear it as "Fi-nal fantasy is an r-p-g."

Me too, from that really old newgrounds cartoons.