Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

my dad posted:

I won't participate, but if you decide to make gimmick teams that aren't actual contenders, I may have a few ideas.

Do not trick us, your gimmick teams would run roughshod over all of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Krunge posted:

Do not trick us, your gimmick teams would run roughshod over all of us.

If he builds a gimmick team to lose and they become champions did he fail or succeed?

Klokwurk
Sep 18, 2010

I'm completely bloody shit at this!
I'm not sure whether to go for a stupid build or an even more stupid build.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If you're not one-and-done'ing it while drunk you're doing it wrong.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Polyctena the Survivor has joined the tournament!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

goatface posted:

If you're not one-and-done'ing it while drunk you're doing it wrong.

Did we just become best friends?

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Okay, so here's what happened with the new tournament:

Backstory first. Years ago, I created a pretty crappy interface for admins to use when starting a new tournament, since Vox and I were the only ones who even had access to it. He asked me to improve on it a bunch of times, but I never really felt like working on making it better, I just told him what to enter to make it do what he wanted. The interface has a bunch of options, and some of them don't even work yet, and almost all of them aren't fully explained in the UI.

It looks like Spermy created a tournament with 20 three-fighter teams in four divisions, meaning sixty total fighters and five teams per division, with a double-round-robin in each division to qualify for the playoff. With the double-round-robin, each team fights both home and away with the other four teams in the division, for a total of eight matches in the regular season. The top two teams in each division qualify for the playoff.

We could speed up the regular season by changing it to a single round robin instead of a double round robin. This would mean four matches instead of eight.

We could also start the tournament faster by changing it from 20 teams to 16 teams. This would require 48 players instead of 60, which means we'd only need three more players in order to get started. It would also change the regular season length from eight to six for a double round robin, or from four to three if we change it to a single round robin.

All of that being said, work has been busy for me lately and I still haven't had a chance to update the mod for the new version of Dwarf Fortress. So everything to this point has still been running on the old one. With the holidays coming up, I'll have time to update things for the new tournament if we keep it at 20 teams, but if we change it to 16 teams I probably won't have enough time to get us on the new version before things get started.

So I'll leave it up to the participants to vote on what to do.

---

:siren: :siren: :siren: VOTING TIME :siren: :siren: :siren:

A) Do you want to start a new tournament RIGHT NOW, but with the exact same rules as the old one and whips still suck and all of that (i.e. 16 teams)?
-or-
B) Wait a little longer and run a re-balanced tournament on the new version (i.e. 20 teams)?

Depending on what happens with this first vote, we can then vote on making the double-round-robin shorter or not. Also, if a 49th player joins before the voting is closed, that will override the vote and we'll have to wait for 60.

EDIT: To clarify, if A wins, we'll automatically shorten the tournament to a single round robin, which in that case would mean three matches for each team. If B wins, we can then vote on whether to keep the longer tournament.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 5, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

WANT BLOOD NOW!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
A

The sooner the season starts the sooner I can start to recover from the string of devastating losses that my fighter is sure to have.

Cathode Raymond fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 5, 2016

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I vote the opposite of whatever Spermy Smurf votes

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
A. Also suggesting Spermy abstain to break Munki.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

C: Throw all the fighters in the arena at once, let the best one prevail.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
B. I based my build on the new version.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
B patient.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

A

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
A because while patience is a virtue, your body doesn't run on virtue. It runs on BLOOD.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Wait, this voting didn't mean what I thought it meant. B option is actually about re-balancing for a new version.

To make a real informed decision, I'd want an ETA on the new version. Do you even know what changes will be made and it's just a matter of implementing (fast)? Or do you still need to think (slow)?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

(cant we have both anyway?) :v:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
That too. Especially if we go with option A and the changes still need to take a while, at only 3 matches and 16 teams the season will go amazingly fast, just in time to start a testing tourney or real tourney with the new version.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I say we go A. . We can then be done early next year and that'll give jazz a more relaxed schedule for implementing changes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Seriously though running this as a short tournament while you work in the background on any changes you want with no time pressure doesnt seem like it has any downsides to me. Am I missing something?

Moleboy
Apr 20, 2011

Looksy
-Hindsight-

Looking Back, I am sure of 2 things:
1. I should have found the thread before it finished
2. Grimper may have actually done one or two things wrong
A

I am fine with a filler tourney while Jazz has a more relaxed timeline for changes

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
B and take your time. Pulling helms off of sleeping fighters will save everyone a whole lot of time.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
A while you guys who understand DF work on B in the background so we can run another tournament right after this one.

Edit: Also home field advantage should be stripped right out of this please.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 5, 2016

Fuubi
Jan 18, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I was going to vote B, but then I saw a great documentary about seaslugs, and my mind was blown!

A

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

A.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Spermy Smurf posted:

A while you guys who understand DF work on B in the background so we can run another tournament right after this one.

Edit: Also home field advantage should be stripped right out of this please.

B while you ladies who don't understand DF don't work off A out the foreground so they can't walk any tournament left before that none.

Edit: Also visiting field disadvantage shouldn't be double left in of that please.

grobbendonk
Apr 22, 2008
A, with any late comers after the 47th entrant put into a battle royale for the last spot

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I'm eager to run some blood.

A

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
A! I want blood now! :black101:

Moleboy
Apr 20, 2011

Looksy
-Hindsight-

Looking Back, I am sure of 2 things:
1. I should have found the thread before it finished
2. Grimper may have actually done one or two things wrong
Due to my need to constantly :f5: the heck out of this thread and the Signups I can't help but notice we are at 47 fighters. If I am counting right, A has an overwhelming majority currently.

And really, everyone is hungry for some blood.

Current Standings: (If I counted correctly, and correctly interpreted Munki's vote)
A: 13
B: 4

Blood!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I also vote for A

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
A. Let there be blood.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Can't wait for this evolutionary microcosm to produce the best of the best team of 3 stooges.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
I vote for A, too.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A is for Blud

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
The people have spoken, and the season will be underway when one more fighter joins the tournament!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Jazzimus Prime posted:

The people have spoken, and the season will be underway when one more fighter joins the tournament!

A perfect opportunity for my dad, so much as he hates our dirty peasant tourney.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I have not spent any points yet, should I spend some points now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you feel like it.