Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Lutha Mahtin posted:

your previous post to this one indicated you are completely unfamiliar with indulgences, so i am definitely going to pay attention to your opinion about church reformers

I did do a brief parts on the end of a course about indulgences. They're the thing where people basically "pay to win" but with the afterlife. Though in truth it had always kind of existed, look at all the monasteries that are still supposed to be singing about Charlemagne, but you were only really supposed to get indulgences for doing something important to the Church like crusading. Then it turns out that people are kind of crappy and the church can just sell them because the man in the fancy hat needs a new chapel. Obviously people didn't like that because of pre-existing tensions around how much they are paying and not getting into heaven guaranteed, the weakening of the Holy Roman Empire and the strengthening of the Dukes, philosophical concerns as regards papal rule and so forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

People always forget that indulgences still exist :rant: After the Reformation they became strictly non-monetary in nature and are given out for doing specific things like entering a confraternity, visiting a certain church on a certain day and receive Communion there, walking through a Gate of Mercy during a Year of Mercy and so on. These indulgences were huuuuuge in the Baroque and continued to be important for many Catholics well into the 20th century. Nowadays they are more of a niche thing, but the principle of the Church giving out indulgences is still very much alive.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

System Metternich posted:

People always forget that indulgences still exist :rant: After the Reformation they became strictly non-monetary in nature and are given out for doing specific things like entering a confraternity, visiting a certain church on a certain day and receive Communion there, walking through a Gate of Mercy during a Year of Mercy and so on. These indulgences were huuuuuge in the Baroque and continued to be important for many Catholics well into the 20th century. Nowadays they are more of a niche thing, but the principle of the Church giving out indulgences is still very much alive.

Well considering I walked through the gates of mercy a few months ago and 2016 still continues to happen I think the indulgences need strengthening.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

The indulgence is only designed to shorten your time in purgatory, not to put an end to this miserable year, sorry :v:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

System Metternich posted:

The indulgence is only designed to shorten your time in purgatory, not to put an end to this miserable year, sorry :v:

I was being silly, but as a semi-serious thing are there any places that are meant to produce additional good for the world in general and not just for the person doing them?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Phlegmatist posted:

I like this piece though cause Cardinal Albert just wants to chill with his fuckin' zoo and do cardinal stuff. Look he's even got a beaver.
my favorite is the african grey, those things are as smart as human children

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Josef bugman posted:

I was being silly, but as a semi-serious thing are there any places that are meant to produce additional good for the world in general and not just for the person doing them?

there are orthodox religious who pray for the salvation of every person in the world--including demons--does that help?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

there are orthodox religious who pray for the salvation of every person in the world--including demons--does that help?

I more meant places to visit, but thats cool to. Just as a quick thing, where do demons come from?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

You can do pilgrimages for other people who aren't able to do so for whatever reason, so if “earning indulgences for other people by visiting holy sites“ counts as doing good then there you have it :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

HEY GAL posted:

my favorite is the african grey, those things are as smart as human children

You are vastly underestimating human children.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

my dad posted:

You are vastly underestimating human children.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented or determined fool.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Josef bugman posted:

I more meant places to visit, but thats cool to. Just as a quick thing, where do demons come from?

when a mommy demon and a daddy demon love each other very much

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
no, i lied, the cardinal's chandelier is my favorite part of that picture. i could see that in some hipster's house today, it is styling. (The reason for the tiny red-eagle-on-white-field coats of arms is that he is a Hohenzollern.)

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 4, 2016

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I went to a Bodensee castle a while ago, and almost every room had a chandelier in this style - antlers with stuff on them.

The same castle also served to house the bishop of Konstanz when he was driven out of Konstanz at various points in history. It wasn't fancy enough for the 16th century prince bishop though, so they built a better castle right next to it. The old one eventually ended up as the residence of poet Anette von Droste-Hülshoff, who wrote a number of poems about the place.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

Pellisworth posted:

beer, neckbeards, and shitposting

FWIW I swore off beer, I have a full red viking beard and well, shitposting is the cross we all bear :smith:

pidan posted:

For our Nordics:

There's an ethnic group in Estonia who have their own little kingdom on the Russian border and apparently practice a mix of Orthodox Christianity and paganism. The article has cool photos, albeit sadly no funny hats.

This is amazing, thank you so much. Their sleeping god-king is very similar to a Danish myth, that of Holger Danske, who may or may not have been a vassal of Charlemagne!

Josef bugman posted:

I think last thread had a really good chat about this, try the search!

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

HEY GAL posted:

no, i lied, the cardinal's chandelier is my favorite part of that picture. i could see that in some hipster's house today, it is styling. (The reason for the tiny red-eagle-on-white-field coats of arms is that he is a Hohenzollern.)

Etsy has them, so I'm sure some hipster out there has one. Etsy also has stash rosaries that let you hide your weed in the cross because why not.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Tias posted:

This is amazing, thank you so much. Their sleeping god-king is very similar to a Danish myth, that of Holger Danske, who may or may not have been a vassal of Charlemagne!

We've got one of those too over in Britain.

They're everywhere:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_in_the_mountain

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

I went into the office room at my church today, and I noticed one of the books on the shelf was called Tough talk: Hard sayings of Jesus. I don't exactly know why, but that tickles me pink.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Mr Enderby posted:

I went into the office room at my church today, and I noticed one of the books on the shelf was called Tough talk: Hard sayings of Jesus. I don't exactly know why, but that tickles me pink.

If that book doesn't have the story of Jesus cursing the Fig tree for not producing fruit out of season then it's not doing it right.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Josef bugman posted:

I do love the little hold outs of Paganism we still have in places, like how it's a point of pride for some of the Lithuanian colleagues at work with that they were the last people to convert to Christianity in Europe.

Let me tell you about Lithuanians being the biggest shits...

Poland accepted Jesus in 900s, and grew in size, influence and culture.

Lithuanians resisted it until the end of XIV century, which resulted in Crusades Nobody Cares about, conquests we couldn't hold and being culturaly dominated by poles for hubdreds of years. The only benefit was increased cultural/religious tolerance* as pagan dukes tried to look nice and tech up from Europe.

The first Lithuanian book in Lithuanian was the Cathechism in XVIth century.

So yeah, we were the last moonworshipping savages to convert in Europe.

*Most of the proud pagan last standers/pagans 2016 come from nationalist circles who don't care about stuff like that.

Tias
May 25, 2008

JcDent posted:

*Most of the proud pagan last standers/pagans 2016 come from nationalist circles who don't care about stuff like that.

Serious question: How do they reconcile being nationalists with being members of a pre-nationalism faith?

The Danish pagan associations leadership is still taken over by members of a blót guild that are nazis in all but name. These good old blut und bacon folks claim that the faith is tied to nordic blood, despite the fact that no evidence for this can be found in the hávamál, nor in any saga or myth associated with the faith :eng99:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

Serious question: How do they reconcile being nationalists with being members of a pre-nationalism faith?

The Danish pagan associations leadership is still taken over by members of a blót guild that are nazis in all but name. These good old blut und bacon folks claim that the faith is tied to nordic blood, despite the fact that no evidence for this can be found in the hávamál, nor in any saga or myth associated with the faith :eng99:
we've got nazis too, even though racism is a literal heresy in the Orthodox church. (A great way to sniff out the guys who believe in this poo poo when you find them on the Internet is to ask them who their bishop is. Since the core of the Orthodox Church is the bishop, bishops without heresy commemorate one another and keep track of one another. Some alt-right douchebag, when asked, will always cough and dissimulate and you just know what's going on.)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Constantinople can't tell proud Russians/Serbs/Romanians what to do! Who the hell do they think they are, a Pope? The true Orthodoxy is only alive in Russia/Serbia/Romania, thank you very much. Also, on Athos, I guess, but only when they agree with us.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Dec 5, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Who shat in your cereal?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

my dad posted:

Who shat in your cereal?

Tias
May 25, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

we've got nazis too, even though racism is a literal heresy in the Orthodox church. (A great way to sniff out the guys who believe in this poo poo when you find them on the Internet is to ask them who their bishop is. Since the core of the Orthodox Church is the bishop, bishops without heresy commemorate one another and keep track of one another. Some alt-right douchebag, when asked, will always cough and dissimulate and you just know what's going on.)

Nazis gotta naz', I think that's pretty unavoidable when your faith is based out of eastern Europe in 2016, folks will twist rules to fit pre-existing biases.

Also, you at least have going for you that orthodoxy is orthodox and not a reconstructionist faith, our fuckers will say "hemm yase, our priesthood hasn't existed for thousand years, it's allright for us to make up new rules stating that only white anglo-saxon protestants can become asatru" :argh:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

nazi pagans gently caress off

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

my dad posted:

Who shat in your cereal?

I was just (half-jokingly) trying to point out that saying that something is a heresy in the Orthodox church is a moot point. Technically, pelagianism, for example, is a condemned heresy, but apparently some churches and/or individual theologians openly teach something very close to it with no repercussions, because due to decentralised nature of the Orthodox church, there is nothing set in stone or at least enforceable across Orthodox oecumene. So when it comes to something related to ethnic church communities, there is no doubt that local synod decisions will be ignored by the majority of people.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Hell if I know. I outgrew my nationalist stance in relative isolation, so I did not have much contact with them until later.

Also, spending the first gay pride parade in the Baltics outside the fence (with all the gay bashers) really helped me get more tolerant of sexual minorities.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

The Phlegmatist posted:

re: reformationchat

This is Luther's sworn enemy Cardinal Albert, who was archbishop of Mainz. And Brandenburg. And Magdeburg. He essentially went into debt to purchase all those dioceses and had to sell massive amounts of relics and indulgences to pay them off, including hiring the notorious Johann Tetzel to go sell indulgences. And of course at the same time the Vatican is indebted to a number of Italian bankers, and Pope Leo X is trying to ramp up the sale of dioceses, indulgences and relics himself so that the Vatican can stay in the black and he can continue his lavish lifestyle (he went hunting all the time, owned a pet white elephant, threw parties constantly that involved nude boys dressed as angels jumping out of cakes, all that fun pope stuff.) The Catholic Church was not in a good place in the 15th-16th centuries.

I like this piece though cause Cardinal Albert just wants to chill with his fuckin' zoo and do cardinal stuff. Look he's even got a beaver.

Am I the only one who notices that this image compares this Cardinal to St. Jerome himself? If he asked for this specifically, it takes some serious cajones to commission a painting which visually places yourself in the image of a saint.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Phlegmatist posted:

Etsy has them, so I'm sure some hipster out there has one. Etsy also has stash rosaries that let you hide your weed in the cross because why not.
Man, *somebody* isn't smoking much.

I used to have a poison ring that I wanted to keep my migraine pills in, but then the pills started having to be foil-sealed to preserve freshness.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
it's also cranach fanboying over duerer, if it helps

and according to this webpage, depicting yourself as a saint to think about that saint's virtues was common then
http://ringlingdocents.org/albrecht.htm
so i could commission a painting of myself cosplaying as St Maurice (infantry), Barbara (blowing things up), or Macrina (dressing and acting like a dude)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

After reading this thread, I now slightly regret not playing through FFXIV: Heavansward looking like catboy Martin Luther

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

HEY GAL posted:

it's also cranach fanboying over duerer, if it helps

and according to this webpage, depicting yourself as a saint to think about that saint's virtues was common then
http://ringlingdocents.org/albrecht.htm
so i could commission a painting of myself cosplaying as St Maurice (infantry), Barbara (blowing things up), or Macrina (dressing and acting like a dude)

Hmmmm. I've heard that some of the symbolism of Durer's Jerome in his Study is meant to point out the flaws of Jerome, and given that Cranach was a contemporary, I wonder if perhaps this was some super subtle criticism of the cardinal as well? He does, after all, have enormous horns hovering right over his head. :tinfoil:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

CountFosco posted:

Hmmmm. I've heard that some of the symbolism of Durer's Jerome in his Study is meant to point out the flaws of Jerome, and given that Cranach was a contemporary, I wonder if perhaps this was some super subtle criticism of the cardinal as well? He does, after all, have enormous horns hovering right over his head. :tinfoil:
if it's meant to be somethng more than just a sick chandelier, horns back then don't just mean the devil, friend :laugh:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

HEY GAL posted:

if it's meant to be somethng more than just a sick chandelier, horns back then don't just mean the devil, friend :laugh:

Is it... Is it the cuck meme?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Paladinus posted:

Is it... Is it the cuck meme?
well, a cuck meme

meanwhile,
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2016/12/05/jude_law_s_hats_are_the_stars_of_these_young_pope_trailers.html

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

CountFosco posted:

Am I the only one who notices that this image compares this Cardinal to St. Jerome himself? If he asked for this specifically, it takes some serious cajones to commission a painting which visually places yourself in the image of a saint.

Yep, and actually it wasn't the only portrait the cardinal commissioned from Cranach of him as St. Jerome, either. Actually we have four of them that survived. Here's another one:

tag urself I'm the angry lion-dog creature

Anyway it's an art form known as historiated portraiture that wasn't too uncommon during the Reformation. Cardinal Albrecht also had one commissioned from a different artist where he appears as St. Erasmus, and Dürer was sorta infamous for inserting himself into religious art that he painted as one of the characters.

e: Okay I had to look up what beavers symbolized in medieval art, and, uh...

Isidore of Seville posted:

The beavers (castor) is so named from being castrated. Beavers are hunted for their testicles, which are good for medicine; when a hunter comes near they bite off their testicles to save themselves.

So they represented chastity, since you have to metaphorically chew off your balls and throw them at the devil when he comes to cause you to lust. Good stuff, Europe.

The Phlegmatist fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 6, 2016

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

After reading this thread, I now slightly regret not playing through FFXIV: Heavansward looking like catboy Martin Luther

This fuckin post...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
my university choir has, i just learned, decided to schedule our concert on the holiest night of the year. once i've calmed down from apoplectic rage, exactly how much poo poo should i raise over this?

• Locked thread