Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

That would terrify me, too.

Is there an achievement tied to Kaffa that I am forgetting about?

I think there was one added for Kaffa specifically with Rights of Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

RabidWeasel posted:

Doing the Coptic poo poo without playing as easy rear end Ethiopia?

Is this like going for Third Way but with Mzab?

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Kushite Restoration is a good pairing there

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Alikchi posted:

Kushite Restoration is a good pairing there
Does Kaffa fit the bill for that?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

That would terrify me, too.

Is there an achievement tied to Kaffa that I am forgetting about?

Develop in Cafa (in Crimea) while one of your subjects owns it. :v:

Kaffa is not Nubian so it can only do the Coptic achievements (5 blessings and Prester John) and the goofy-rear end Cafa one.

Edit: wait no, it can't do Prester either.

Achievement status: waiting out AE so the Ottomans don't come after me, but I now border Crimea, which is still alive (or resurrected), holds Cafa and a continuous chain of provinces to my hideous snake through Persia and the Caucasus, and... is guaranteed by Russia. :geno:

That's going to be a real ugly fight, but it's my hope I can bring in Bukhara and Poland-Lithuania.

After that I'll probably still try for and most likely fail at the Coptic blessings.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 5, 2016

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Develop in Cafa (in Crimea) while one of your subjects owns it. :v:

Kaffa is not Nubian so it can only do the Coptic achievements (5 blessings and Prester John) and the goofy-rear end Cafa one.

Edit: wait no, it can't do Prester either.

Achievement status: waiting out AE so the Ottomans don't come after me, but I now border Crimea, which is still alive (or resurrected), holds Cafa and a continuous chain of provinces to my hideous snake through Persia and the Caucasus, and... is guaranteed by Russia. :geno:

That's going to be a real ugly fight, but it's my hope I can bring in Bukhara and Poland-Lithuania.

After that I'll probably still try for and most likely fail at the Coptic blessings.
Oh lawd yes I did forget about that one.

If I try it one day I would probably spend the first 300 years powering up by taking over East Africa and Indonesia before going after the Ottos. That or pray that the Ottomans somehow get stifled and I can snipe the province, somehow.

I love the concept of a Kaffa snake going around the Ottomans, though, so I hope you post screenshots.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

If I form Scandinavia, will that lock me out of getting Swedish events or will they still show up?

If so, if it's 1660 now, are there any good Swedish events that haven't fired yet?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

You know how there's a rule where you can't core unless you got an adyacent core? What's the exception to that?

I ask because I keep running into situations like these:

I can core Chengdu and Umung, but not Chongoing.

I can core everything.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

New country specific patches should focus on East Asian countries, do the Divine Wind thing and introduce special mechanics for the Shogunate and Sengoku period that are not just modified vassal mechanics, really it should be more hereditary and militarily focused HRE, maybe some more events that allows introduction of institutions into Asia or (for Japan) specific events that boost military technology (they already exist but are pretty mild, unlike the dramatic transformation that came about with the historical adoption of the arquebus and half a century of constant warfare). Also I think something should be done about Korea conquering Manchuria in almost every single game.

Unrelated to that we need achievements for forming the Mughals and doing stuff as them, and Paradox really should look at ways to actually make AI Mughals show up sometimes, make the conquest of India missions available to other nearby eligible (to form Mughals) Muslim powers maybe and maybe throw in some disasters or something to weaken Delhi and such.

Also my idea for a terrible pun name for an achievement.
"Habsburger in Paradise" - As Austria be the overlord of a colonial nation.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
still waiting on One Provence Miner

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
As Russia, now that it's the 1600s and I'm expanding past the Urals, what's the strategy for teching up as painlessly as possible? I have so many undeveloped Siberian and steppe provinces which take forever for institutions to spread to. Developing them seems like a waste of MP since the more I fall behind, the more I need those MP to save for techs. Is the best strategy to simply pay a ton of ducats to embrace?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Secondary objective achieved. :toot:

Randarkman posted:

Also I think something should be done about Korea conquering Manchuria in almost every single game.
Also Ming.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Mechanical Ape posted:

As Russia, now that it's the 1600s and I'm expanding past the Urals, what's the strategy for teching up as painlessly as possible? I have so many undeveloped Siberian and steppe provinces which take forever for institutions to spread to. Developing them seems like a waste of MP since the more I fall behind, the more I need those MP to save for techs. Is the best strategy to simply pay a ton of ducats to embrace?

Yes, always embrace as soon as you can afford it, and if you can't afford it, take loans until you can. The only exception to this is if you're already ahead of time or low on MP in which case you might as well let it spread until you're ready to buy more tech. Or if the interest from taking loans would cripple you.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Randarkman posted:

Also I think something should be done about Korea conquering Manchuria in almost every single game.

before this started happening, Japan was doing it instead. Something needs to change about Manchuria really. The hordes too. They were much more of a threat to China than they are in game.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Poil posted:

Secondary objective achieved. :toot:

Also Ming.

Ming has plenty of flavor and unique government already. Regrettably it's still lovely and boring to play, but I doubt they will make any big effort to fix that. Maybe clean up the factions into unique estates but I doubt it since they don't exactly represent the same thing. The Lost Mandate of Heaven thing should obviously be changed to a disaster rather than the Divine Wind leftover modifier it is now though.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Ming should be a defining feature of the region, as important as the HRE, with a system in place that interacts with its neighbors and inhibits its constant expansion. What it has currently isn't remotely adequate.

personally I feel Japan is pretty adequate, at least as long as they fix it so it actually functions again, but people whine about it in every single Asia thread on the Paradox forums so I expect it'll get an overhaul too.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

Yes, always embrace as soon as you can afford it, and if you can't afford it, take loans until you can. The only exception to this is if you're already ahead of time or low on MP in which case you might as well let it spread until you're ready to buy more tech. Or if the interest from taking loans would cripple you.

Thanks!

I find I keep forgetting to make as much money as possible, even though with institutions it's more important than ever to have a big stash. Like, I keep forgetting to turn down my army maintenance in peacetime (most people do that, right?), and until recently I fought wars mostly for land and didn't concern myself with reparations.

I have over 800 hours in this game so I can't chalk it up to a lack of experience, it's just bad habits -- some of them carried over from my EU2 days, as likely as not.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, I don't know how a daimyo is supposed to become the shogun, and I suspect that functionality is completely broken.

The last time I played a daimyo it was contingent upon taking Kyoto in the peace deal; if you did that you became Japan and full-annexed all the previous shogun's stuff.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i'm pretty sure i took kyoto and stayed yamana. it wasn't until i took the last two japanese provinces that i automatically became japan

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, I haven't played Japan in a long time, but the way it used to work was that if you annexed the current Shogun (ie. the Japan tag), then an event would make you the new Shogun and retag you to Japan.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Another game finished.

Good job, Austria. Too bad Brandenburg has been emperor for the past 300 years or so.

I like the way Netherlands bounced back after being exiled to Africa. That's good moxie. Also Georgia and Sind taking over Iran is nice to see.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I want to play a game where the HRE doesn't exist from the start, a true german thunderdome. Can I somehow console it out of existence before unpausing?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
You can fire the "hre dismantled" event if you know the ID.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah dig through the event files, I think there's a special file just for HRE events.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Xinder posted:

Another game finished.

Good job, Austria. Too bad Brandenburg has been emperor for the past 300 years or so.

I like the way Netherlands bounced back after being exiled to Africa. That's good moxie. Also Georgia and Sind taking over Iran is nice to see.
That Georgia, Portugal, and Spain :stonklol:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Sick, a historicalish Portugal.

No screenshot of Xinder's own Pueblo, though?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

I take a million screenshots playing this game and didn't want to clog up the thread with stuff that I didn't think was too interesting unless someone asked.

Zoomed out so you can see my only real friend: Louisiana. and also my northern reaches. speaking of northern reaches:

Russia and I only met borders in the final 30 years of the game so there's been no bad blood between us. We were both slow to colonize siberia since there wasn't really much point. Ming has been guaranteeing me since they learned I existed and I have no idea why.

And that's it unless you want my religious and culture maps too.

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007
Still cruising along in my Ottoman game, pummeling one nation after another. It's funny, most of the time when I think 'I wish this game had x feature' it turns out it does and I just haven't found it. Realised there's a super easy way to see what a building will provide in all your provinces at once. I love Civ and have 500+ hours across the franchise, but goddam does this game put it to shame in a lot of areas.

Few more q's though.

When should I spend MP developing provinces? I have to spend so much on coring/tech/ideas apart from the military points I never seem to have any to spare. What's the priority here? I have 3 skill advisors in my admin/dip slots.

How do people expand so fast? This may just be me not use to the huge time scale of the game, but I've basically been smashing one country after another and taking ~3 or 4 provinces from them and I'm still barely cutting into the middle east. I need like 200+ more provinces to get the Unify Islam cheevo. I also see that there are additional coring costs in North Africa. I've got a vassal in Syria, but it's going to cost me like 800 diplo points to annex them and they're only about 8 provinces.

For coring, I core my new provinces, then make them states and I have to core them again. Is that how you're supposed to go about it?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

PleasingFungus posted:

Sick, a historicalish Portugal.

One that dominates North Africa but has no presence in Angola, Mozambique, India, or Indonesia?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

jpparker55 posted:

Few more q's though.

When should I spend MP developing provinces? I have to spend so much on coring/tech/ideas apart from the military points I never seem to have any to spare. What's the priority here? I have 3 skill advisors in my admin/dip slots.

How do people expand so fast? This may just be me not use to the huge time scale of the game, but I've basically been smashing one country after another and taking ~3 or 4 provinces from them and I'm still barely cutting into the middle east. I need like 200+ more provinces to get the Unify Islam cheevo. I also see that there are additional coring costs in North Africa. I've got a vassal in Syria, but it's going to cost me like 800 diplo points to annex them and they're only about 8 provinces.

For coring, I core my new provinces, then make them states and I have to core them again. Is that how you're supposed to go about it?

When you're about to hit the point cap. Development should (nearly, there are a handful of edge cases) always be your last priority with monarch points.

Expansion gets easier when you've played more, when you know the limits of aggressive expansion and overextension and so on, how much you can tolerate and how damaging rebels might be. Don't worry about expanding aggressively in one of your first games. Also you don't need 200 provinces for Unify Islam by the way, it's just a handful of key locations you need. You don't need literally all the Islamic provinces in the game lol.

Yeah, basically when you core a territory, you core for half the cost of the province, but get half the province's worth (autonomy) out of it. To get the whole worth, you need to core the rest of the cost.

Also yeah, the interface is kind of convoluted so don't worry to much about not being able to find things, it happens for everyone. I can't imagine just jumping into this game now, I was confused as hell when I first played and the game is three times bigger now. You're right though that the information is nearly always there. And if it's not, it's on the wiki.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I swear this game... The enemy was besieging one of my vassals forts in the hills and I moved in to brush them aside, like I would brush a fly from my arm. However just a couple of days before my troops made it into the province the fort surrendered and I had to fight uphill. Typical. :v:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

PittTheElder posted:

One that dominates North Africa but has no presence in Angola, Mozambique, India, or Indonesia?

If they have Brazil and a sizeable African presence, then... well, yeah, the lack of southeast asian presence is still kind of a deal breaker.

I was trying to be generous!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Had an accidental pro moment just now; was besieging a 3-fort right next to a 2-fort being sieged by rebels. As soon as the capital surrendered I walked my stack into the rebels, wiped them out, and one tick later the 2-fort fell

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

Spain just inherited France in my game. I think interesting times are ahead.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

QuarkJets posted:

Had an accidental pro moment just now; was besieging a 3-fort right next to a 2-fort being sieged by rebels. As soon as the capital surrendered I walked my stack into the rebels, wiped them out, and one tick later the 2-fort fell
I have started some risky wars when I have seen big rebel stacks sieging my target. Distracting the target's armies a bunch while the rebels siege, then running over and kicking the rebels over to take over the siege at the last minute.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Mechanical Ape posted:

Spain just inherited France in my game. I think interesting times are ahead.

I think I'd start crying.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Bold Robot posted:

If I form Scandinavia, will that lock me out of getting Swedish events or will they still show up?

If so, if it's 1660 now, are there any good Swedish events that haven't fired yet?

Anyone?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The wiki may know. It has a lot of the events.

Edit:
I checked and it looks like you will no longer het the events.

IncredibleIgloo fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 6, 2016

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

It will definitely lock you out of getting the events. Dunno if there are any good events though but I'd imagine so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Thanks. Bummer, woulda been nice to use it for the free claims but not worth giving up all of the Sweden events.

• Locked thread