Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

Not really, you can be a lovely racer and very good in low grip conditions. I'm probably the best example of that. Keep digging though :yum:

I remember you posting that karting vid of where you followed the one slow guy for basically the entire thing.
Your love for Rosberg makes sense then I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Actually I think you'll find that's why I like Nando the most.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I was thinking Coultard. (See: Bernoldi)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/IMSA/status/805489737075200000

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

I ... I really want that noise back :smith:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Hell will freeze over before Jenson works with Lewis again.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

learnincurve posted:

Hell will freeze over before Jenson works with Lewis again.

Why? Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but aside from some petulance where Lewis tweeted some timing data to try to show the world why he was slower than Jenson in Belgium one year, I don't recall any tension. Certainly not in the way Lewis and Rosberg were.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I blame Ron Dennis.

I can't imagine Jenson would want to go though years of "what are we going to do Lewis?" from Ron, only to end his career being his Rubens.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Carth Dookie posted:

Why? Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but aside from some petulance where Lewis tweeted some timing data to try to show the world why he was slower than Jenson in Belgium one year, I don't recall any tension. Certainly not in the way Lewis and Rosberg were.

It was all very petty stuff. Like when he complained that Jenson stopped following him on Twitter...except Jenson never followed him the first place!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

djssniper posted:

Hey the Merc seat is still free hotshot ;)

I've been sat by the phone all weekend. :(

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I was talking to my brother about this and he was betting it would be Bottas, but it looks like that's not likely. And if it's not Whereline then who's still on the list? Unless Toto's just messing with us.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

I was talking to my brother about this and he was betting it would be Bottas, but it looks like that's not likely. And if it's not Whereline then who's still on the list? Unless Toto's just messing with us.

If it's Wehrlein then it should be announced very soon. If it takes much longer I'd imagine they are trying to get someone else out of their contract. Maybe they take Perez and give Wehrlein to Force India? Lord knows FI always needs the money, a free driver and maybe discounted engines would be hard to turn down.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Will Mercedes wager on Pascal?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Maybe? If 2017 is seen to be a transition year anyway, they might.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Will Mercedes wager on Pascal?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bold Prediction: Mercedes runs a one car team.

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010

iospace posted:

Bold Prediction: Mercedes runs a one car team.

Fun fact, in 2013 Mercedes would have still come second in the WDC if Red Bull were running a one car team.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Sweet, a second American team (maybe): http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hellmund-favourite-to-take-over-manor-f1-team-857033/

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

wicka posted:

If it's Wehrlein then it should be announced very soon. If it takes much longer I'd imagine they are trying to get someone else out of their contract. Maybe they take Perez and give Wehrlein to Force India? Lord knows FI always needs the money, a free driver and maybe discounted engines would be hard to turn down.

Problem from Perez point of view is that Force India are not going to want to give up the big sponsorship dollars he brings in. Mercedes would have to pay out some big money to take him.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

AgentJotun posted:

Problem from Perez point of view is that Force India are not going to want to give up the big sponsorship dollars he brings in. Mercedes would have to pay out some big money to take him.

Yeah, good point. Seems like it's just going to be Wehrlein.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

I think Perez probably has an exit clause though. FI claimed they had him signed about fourteen times this year and Perez kept saying he was eyeing up his options.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It's Max.

You're all fools not to see the best thing to ever happen to F1.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
How much do you think the wider tires and increased aero are going to effect trap speeds next year?

Engine development will be opened up, but with the RPM ceiling in place it seems like there isn't much more power to be found.

I know lap times should still be way quicker do to increased grip, wondering if it's going to bring the speeds down on some of the long straights.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India

Khablam posted:

It's Max.
Chilton?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Khablam posted:

Holy poo poo all the frauds are Sons.

To be fair, very few F1 drivers aren't sons.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Gmaz posted:

Chilton?

Children by the million scream for Max Chilton.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

dreesemonkey posted:

How much do you think the wider tires and increased aero are going to effect trap speeds next year?

Engine development will be opened up, but with the RPM ceiling in place it seems like there isn't much more power to be found.

I know lap times should still be way quicker do to increased grip, wondering if it's going to bring the speeds down on some of the long straights.

I would've thought those with the biggest to gain will be Renault, Ferrari and Honda. Given that RPM and boost pressure are capped, freeing up development will only end in near enough parity between engine suppliers. Which should mean it becomes an aero war so whilst speed traps may become slower (depending upon just how much development headroom really is left for these engines), overall pace should be significantly faster over time.

A view I found interesting was that freeing up aero development won't necessarily make for more overtakes as the effect of turbulent air becomes more pronounced over complex body elements. So whilst the cars could be 2-5 seconds a lap quicker, they still struggle to overtake. Those of that viewpoint say that mechanical grip should be the focus rather than aero, but I do not know how accurate either view is.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

It's me guys. I'm the Mercedes 2017 driver.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

wicka posted:

Children by the million scream for Max Chilton.
Famous Formula 1 race finisher Max Chilton, the only Our Max there is

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Norns posted:

It's me guys. I'm the Mercedes 2017 driver.

YOU loving LIAR

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Famous Formula 1 race finisher Max Chilton, the only Our Max there is

He's a big star.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Theophany posted:

But they weren't to anybody who karts competitively at even the lowest level. What is a mindfuck is that all these guys start in karting and yet they never accept that the rubbered in racing line is the most treacherous in the wet because it is basically like driving on ice. That's not to diminish Max's drive or ability, but he's kind of shooting fish in a barrel.

Driving a Rotax or shifter in the wet on the racing line is a drat quick way to get hurt quickly.

nelson piquet jr account spotted

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Also Perez has had his chance in a big team and blew it.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Paul Ricard 5 year contract starting in 2018 was officially announced today

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/french-gp-return-at-paul-ricard-confirmed-857043/

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Paul Ricard 5 year contract starting in 2018 was officially announced today

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/french-gp-return-at-paul-ricard-confirmed-857043/

:getin::france:

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

So much saltiness in the wake of Ross the Boss' retirememt.

Seems like the guy busted his balls all year, didn't like that he never saw his family and wasn't around for his young child, and thought that it would be a great time to call it quits with a win under his belt. I'm sure he knew it would be unlikely that he'd repeat... but I honestly don't think he cared. Honestly.

I think his retirement really seemed to be driven by the lifestyle aspect and not the fear of losing next year. If I could quit my job and spend all day with my kids (and the nanny that my millions of $$ would be paying for when they got out of control) I'd do it in a second.

So now maybe he'll chill for a while, scoop some ice cream, play with the kids... and then jump into a less time consuming role in DTM/Formula E/whatever? Maybe join the retirement dream team of Webber/Button/Alonso?

As far as his seat goes, I'd guess Werleiheinenein would be a likely candidate, but who knows. Bottas would be boring as gently caress, I'd kind of like to see Grossjean, Ricciardo, Sainz, or even Vettel take the spot, for various reasons. Button hopping in and taking one more WDC would be nothing short of spectacular. I can't be the only one to find Perez boring, can I?

Also...

Lewis Hamilton posted:

Roscoe in great spirits. Due to some complications, we had to have him snipped. However, since he's the best looking bulldog I decided to freeze his sperm so that in time to come I could have his pups. He is the best pedigree. Both mum and father were champion show dogs so it's great his gene will live on. #bestdogintheworld

LOL LOL OMG I'm dead.

I'll conclude with a bold suggestion: Kvyat to Merc, where he takes a WDC before Max.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Lewis gets Roscoe fixed. Finally, he did something responsible.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Also Perez has had his chance in a big team and blew it.

When did this happen???

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

1500quidporsche posted:

When did this happen???

He said big, not successful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

CratSock posted:

I can't be the only one to find Perez boring, can I?

Regardless of how trustworthy they are, a couple of pit lane pundits have alluded to Perez being happy having Telmex bankroll his drive, he gets to live the playboy lifestyle and has relatively few media/sponsorship/ambassadorial responsibilities. In fairness, it does sound like a p sweet deal; turn up to a race weekend, have a chat with Carlos Slim, chuck your state of the art F1 car round the track for a couple of days and then party.

• Locked thread